Search Unity

Unity 4.6 with Unity UI is here!!!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Salazar

Salazar

Nice work,

Congrats..

2. yoonitee

yoonitee

I'm editing this post because I couldn't find a strikethrough button.

Anyway, just to say one bug was sort of my fault for ignoring warnings, using transform.parent instead of transform.SetParent which apparently you have to do now.

But there are some other bugs which I don't think are my fault including:

MULTIPLE ERRORS ON WINDOWS STORE
    . Can't position cursor in text input on a Windows Metro app. Also, causes error when you press the delete button. Also, on screen keyboard only lets you type about 3 letters before stop working. Can't close on screen keyboard by clicking off text input.

error2.png

Also just general crashes of Unity when opening a project or running a project with missing references. Very unstable build.

So I would say that 4.6 (UI) is good except it needs more testing for Windows Store and Web Player especially in regards to touch screens and PCs with touchscreens. If you are designing an app for Windows Metro or a touch device I would be wary of using 4.6 at the moment or just use it for testing and report the bugs back to Unity so they can fix them.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  3. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

To re-iterate, any issues regarding the UI system in 4.6 needs to go in the the UI forum

Any other issues need to go in an appropriate forum.

4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

5. Breyer

Breyer

Very cool! How long we waited for this... but finally there is ! ;) however i saw that source doesnt contain UnityEventDrawer – this is intended? if yes for me this is a bit disappointment – yeah this isnt sealed so i could extend this but still this isnt ideal because custom UnityEventDrawer wont affect existing UnityEvent….

6. SignalZak

SignalZak

I re-downloaded the 6.0 dmg this morning and installed it just now. It worked! I wonder if there was some mixup for a bit with the on-site version? In any case, hooray!

7. Roest_

Roest_

Will this update be available through the help menu -> check for updates function and if yes when?

8. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I think it will, but you realise that when it shows up there, it's just going to send you to the website to download it, right? There's no advantage to getting it 'through' the Check Updates window, it's not like it gives you a smaller download or anything like that.

9. IronNinjaGames

IronNinjaGames

Hi guys, I really wanted to take a moment to thank you sincerely.

This has been a gigantic leap forward in the UI overhaul and was extremely "Unity-like" in its implementation. Before this point, I always considered the UI work in Unity the one and only hassle that had me frustrated with the platform. Now I can honestly say this is the most I've enjoyed programming and I owe a lot of that to your team.

Our very first game is close to launch and was easily made universal (and gorgeous) by your excellent update.

I know there'll be plenty of pointing to what can be improved and I might have a short list of my own -- but forget about that for a moment. Right now you should be appreciating the great accomplishment we've all waited for and how much better Unity is for it. If you guys are ever here in Vegas, please look me up so I can buy you a few rounds of beers. :D

10. Xemenas

Xemenas

Hey,

Thanks for the amazing new UI! However (and I'm not sure if this is an error with 4.6 or something else) I cannot get the Webplayer to install properly. It goes through the process, but Webplayer builds and the official Webplayer download/settings pages do not register it as being installed. If there is a better place to post this please let me know!

And thank you again for the new UI, it really is wonderful.

11. VIC20

VIC20

Location Services on iOS isn't working at all with Unity 4.6

…and the "Location Usage Description" field is missing in player settings.

Unity 4.6:

Bildschirmfoto 2014-12-02 um 01.20.38.png

Unity 4.5.x:

Bildschirmfoto 2014-12-02 um 01.20.11.png

12. yoDon

yoDon

Is the 4.6 installer unsigned? And am I computing the MD5 correctly? Because it's not matching.

I just downloaded the installer from Unity's site, and Windows 8.1 is tossing up a big security warning because the installer is unsigned. When I use Microsoft's MD5 calculator (https://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290/en-us) it reports an MD5 which does NOT agree with the one posted by Aurore (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-4-6-with-unity-ui-is-here.282340/#post-1863625). The MD5 I'm seeing starts with 05610ff... while the MD5 Aurore reported starts with c7c67...

13. yoDon

yoDon

More on signing/unsigning of the 4.6 installer - I re-downloaded the installer, again from the Unity site, and this time Windows reports it as being a signed executable and the MD5 calculator reports the "correct" MD5 according to Aurore's post. Glad I didn't install the unsigned one with the bad MD5

14. Tomo-Games

Tomo-Games

I just upgraded to Unity 4.6 on Mac OS Yosemite. My game plays in the editor and on the mac binary for like one minute and then there is a huge pause. The game freezes for a few seconds. I don't see any messages in the console and the pause breaks multiplayer gaming. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

I found another annoyance. After upgrading my project I get a report that a MonoBehavior is missing a script but clicking on the message no longer shows which game object is having the issue.

15. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Can you create a separate thread for you issue in Editor & General Support

16. Bradamante

Bradamante

Whatever has changed with Unity 4.6, the performance I am seeing is all of a sudden much better o_O

I am testing my game on two machines, less regularly on friend's Macs or Windows computers. My main development machine (a well equipped Hackintosh with Mac OS X.9.3) and my old notebook (a 2007 MacBook Pro with OS X.8.x). On my dev machine, my game runs with 55-60 FPS in editor mode and a constant 60 in binary. No surprise here, given the hardware. On the MBP the performance was an abysmal slide show, no matter the quality setting. That was on 4.5.5.

Now on Unity 4.6.1 all of a sudden I get 55-60 FPS with the binary on the MBP :eek: What the hell happened? Or was it NGUI? I took that from 3.6.x to the current 3.7.7. Jesus Christ, the MBP is a Core2Duo with 2 GHz, 4 GB of RAM and a NVidia 8600 with 256 MB of VRAM. 60 FPS on highest quality setting? Granted, no anti-aliasing on @ 1440x900. But man, I had long given up hope.

Sure, since my last test my code changed, obviously. But I didn't do any performance optimizations. Performance hogs like shader quality or AI mechanics didn't change since my last test.

So, yeah. Whatever changed from 4.5.5 to 4.6.1 somebody deserves a medal here.

Now let's see if the Editor hangups are gone.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  17. Jaqal

Jaqal

I just like being able to scale the colliders with handles lol. Haven't noticed any differences other than that yet.