Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4.6 with new GUI system to be released this spring!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by im, Mar 18, 2014.

1. goat

goat

Ask not what you can do for your GUI, ask what Unity can do for your GUI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUXuV7XbZvU

2. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Does the beta have any kind of NDA? I'd love to hear from testers more on how it works and how feature rich it feels. Unity 2D shipped pretty usable but it took mecanim almost a year to be solid so I'm curious whether uGUI feels already day one usable or its going to be another half a year of updates to fill out basic functionality.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

They do bud, I think most people would like to stay on the right side of Unity.

4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Yes, we're not supposed to share information outside of the beta testing group.

Stuff learned through e.g. sessions at GDC is fair game, though, as far as I know...

5. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Beta.

I dont know if you can do that, but i know you can still use OnGUI

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  6. scnoobi

scnoobi

why is this? we all know that you fail to complete any feature that is really needed now you won't even let us expand upon your own solution? i thougth this was a asset store friendly engine o_O

7. Dantus

Dantus

You probably haven't used NGUI, which was the basis for uGUI. I wouldn't want to create my editor GUI with NGUI.

StarManta likes this.
  8. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Because uGUI creates buttons as planes in the 3d world/scene. The reason is so that they can have fancy effects on them like 3d rotation.

There's no 3d world/scene in those editor panels (would be cool though if it had).

Like makeshiftwings said, this just isn't true anymore. I'm also going to hazard a guess that uGUI's streamlined features were inspired from the latest NGUI version.

uGUI's anchor system also looks similar to the anchor system in NGUI 3.x though uGUI's is more intuitive since they have the ability to make it more integrated and a built-in part of the engine.

I actually don't like using Unity's animation curve editor, because it's horrendously clunky to create curves there, coming from someone who uses Photoshop (i.e. the vector path tool) and Blender (i.e. Blender's graph editor).

So I actually don't mind having those UIButtonScale/UIButtonOffset classes. I don't have to make animation curves to achieve the same effect, and they'd look perfectly easing in/out since the smoothing is done from code.

(disclaimer: I'm also a beta tester, though I admit I'm always busy that I haven't dabbled that much in uGUI yet)

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  9. goat

goat

So what's in the 4.5 that supposed to be out soon? Everything but uGUI?

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

11. DonPepe

DonPepe

Is there anything someone can say about atlases? golbug intended on the first page, that the used sprites get packed automaticaly into an atlas. Is that correct?

12. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Atlasing is the same featureset as with regular Unity 2D, I believe.

13. mgear

mgear

14. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Pretty sure they are a few months our of date (when we moved from the 4.5 codebase to the 4.6)... I think we may have even rewritten a lot of them in that time.

15. Toack

Toack

Lots of people stating that Unity copied NGUI, like if NGUI created Anchors, Expandable quads, GUI hierarchy, etc. This thread is funny indeed.

16. PrefabEvolution

PrefabEvolution

I heard that UT hires guy that create NGUI.

17. StarManta

StarManta

They did, and he worked there a while, but left sometime last year I think.

18. runevision

runevision

There are certain similarities between NGUI and Unity's new UI system since we hired the NGUI developer to work on developing Unity's new UI system, and he chose to use the NGUI code base as the basis for this. However, after he left again last year, there has been no inspiration based on NGUI, so recent versions of NGUI have had zero impact on the development of Unity's new UI system.

To address the anchoring system specifically, it was conceived last October based on early feedback that the existing layout and anchoring tools were not easy and simple enough to work with. While it may happen to look superficially similar to what recent versions of NGUI uses, I strongly suspect it uses a completely different underlying model.

To our knowledge, the unified anchoring and stretching model combined with its Scene View anchor handles are unique in Unity's new UI system. We're not aware of any other UI systems where you can completely visually and without programming create animated transitions between different anchoring modes, like we demonstrate in the video: http://youtu.be/EOX6itCuKOc?t=25m53s

The same approach as shown in the video works for animating between stretching and non-stretching anchoring too; there is no functional difference.

I'm sure that recent versions of NGUI are great too! But that doesn't mean Unity's UI system has been inspired by it.

rakkarage likes this.
  19. jashan

jashan

If anything, it's probably the other way round ;-)

20. Toack

Toack

Doesn't matter, all those concepts are used by many tools way before NGUI and uGUI, both are just adapting those concepts to Unity as a tool. So it's hilarious to fight about who copied who, they both are reinventing the wheel, it's just a better wheel for our game development pleasure.

21. PrefabEvolution

PrefabEvolution

Agree.
    Previously I implement my own GUI than are based on similar concepts, just because they are convenient.

22. kiriri

kiriri

So what about us programmers? I mean, it's awesome that artists can use the gui too now, but I can think of many cases where I'd want to dynamically create a gui. Are we going to have a set of functions like Canvas.CreateLabel(x&yposition, size, anchor) or do we need to create those ourselves? It's not like that would be such a hard job, it's just that so far no one has even mentioned us programmers :)

Also, I suppose there's no way we can get the source for this? :D Unreal's openly available source policy still nags at me, and the community could probably offer a lot of valuable bugfixes and sugestions if you just let us...

23. PrefabEvolution

PrefabEvolution

All what thing you can do by WYSWYG way you can do by code. Everybody who work with any gameObject-based GUI know that this is very fast to create UI in WYSWYG way. But there is still one big problem no nested prefabs. For example your artists create 10 dialog windows, so they are create background sprite, make header, close button and so on. Obviously that every dialog will be a prefab. Obviously that every dialog element should be a prefab too. But we are doesn't have nested prefabs. So if you would like to change header for every dialog you have to manually open every dialog, and replace it with a new one. This workflow is absolutely unsuitable. So when we I met with this problem, I just implement editor extension that allow prefab nesting and inheritance. It's make my workflow more stable and DRY. So now i share this plugin for everyone Prefab Evolution Thread.

24. bernardfrancois

bernardfrancois

I'm quite intrigued by the fact that the GUI system is taking so long to develop, and going to see the light very soon - hopefully ^_^, so I wrote a blog post summarising its history (well, based on publicly available information):

The Unity GUI Saga

25. bernardfrancois

bernardfrancois

26. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

As 4.6 is already in Beta stage, not sure which Beta,
    I wish to know will it include all the new bugs found within 4.5 that has just been released?
    How are you handling this? - Next Beta of 4.6 includes the fixes?

27. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Plus it be intresting to see what Daikon Forge 2 brings to the table, alrthough NGUI developer worked for Unity, it would have been shooting himself in the foot - he get way more money selling his own NGUI version on asset store and slowly this is not becoming most popular any more

28. FraMarSaMi

FraMarSaMi

But the 4.6 version not will be longer release this summer? Now is this spring ?

29. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

All the fixes that are happing for 4.5 and the patch fixes will make it into 4.6.

30. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Summer comes after spring. It wasn't released in the spring. I'm sure you can work out the sequence of events after that. ;)

--Eric

Aurore likes this.
  31. FraMarSaMi

FraMarSaMi

But NOW is summer when They will release ??

32. Murgilod

Murgilod

Before autumn.

33. Arowx

Arowx

So before September 22 at 10:29 P.M. EDT. then.

CyberKot93 likes this.
  34. Dantus

Dantus

:rolleyes:

35. Goregaming

Goregaming

New unity GUI?!! I think I just Gui'ed in my pants....

peterdeghaim and Aurore like this.
  36. pete1061

pete1061

As with anything in the software industry....

When it's done.

inafield and shkar-noori like this.
  37. Viltro

Viltro

OK, so it is now the middle of summer.... we were told it would be in the summer.... been patiently waiting..... where's 4.6? Any guess as to an actual release date?

38. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

+1

inafield likes this.
  39. Makosai

Makosai

I'm very eager for 4.6 and 5.0. Mainly for the new GUI. I'm not really liking the postponing though. I purchased 5.0 expecting to get it by now. However, it doesn't even seem close to done. At least keep us posted as to what is going on? A teaser would suffice. I've checked back on this thread multiple times and browsed on Youtube occassionally to check for any updates. Sadly, I haven't seen anything. This makes me upset.

40. Dantus

Dantus

You find several blog posts regarding Unity 5 here:
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/

41. Makosai

Makosai

Thank you. Finding that out puts me at ease. Now, waiting isn't as much of a problem.

42. SememeS

SememeS

GUUUUUUUUiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !!!

I need you

43. DGustavo

DGustavo

They never said which hemisphere's spring.

44. Sokaz Games

Sokaz Games

Watch it get released right before unity 5. :p

User340 likes this.
  45. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Just assisted to a demonstration of the new GUI at a unity 3D meetup, V4.6 build 14. Looks really cool indeed. They're still working a lot on it. Looks like they're changing a lot of stuff from build to build. there is a lot of the help documentation that isn't created yet. A lot of work left before a 4.6 release... I wouldn't expect that before end of summer ( end of September...) Worth the wait though, especially if they fix all what need to be fixed or improved.

Crazydadz and MrEsquire like this.
  46. SememeS

SememeS

47. HSz

HSz

Any news on the release date for v4.6?
    Spring has gone and we are getting well into the Summer :)
    Thanks

48. zastrow

zastrow

New GUI / 4.6 :::: I bet there's some real drama behind the scenes as this horror unfolds. -Or maybe not. Hey guys, Bagels in the conference room!

49. derf

derf

Conan the Destroyer reference.

SememeS likes this.
  50. derf

derf

Last time on Unity3D uGUI Development...

Unknown Unity Manager: <man is rushing through a tech hub of programmers working like mad> "We are on a tight deadline and we must get this release out or the indie community could very well be extinct."

Unknown Unity Engineer: <studying a computer monitor intently> "This source code keeps changing by the hour and there's no documentation that can cover it all! No one will know how to control it!"

Unknown Unity Executive: <over an intercom>Get me the Senior Vice President, <he turns to speak to a shadowy character in his office> We will soon know the true release date for this feature.

Unity Fans at recent Unite <1400 indies chanting> "WE WANT THE GUI! WE WANT THE GUI!"

Unknown Unity Tester: <looks over shoulder at a shadowy character who slips into the shared cubicle> "What the?"

Shadowy Figure: <Untop of the unity headquarters building after midnight, while the city sleeps, turns and the lights illuminate the face...its Graham Dunnet> "Now it shall begin, and no indie dev can complain again about a working GUI."

DA DUN!

mhtraylor and shkar-noori like this.