Search Unity

Unity 4.6 b19 support

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by StarManta, Sep 23, 2014.

1. StarManta

StarManta

4.6b19 was released today, and it has several API changes compared to 4.6b17, which UCB uses. Any word on when b19 will be added to the Unity version options?

(I'm not saying I need it right now, I just need info. If UCB is going to be limited to b17 for a while, then I need to revert my scripts back to their b17-compatible versions so that I can continue to use UCB. If it's going to be added in the next day or two, I can survive til then.)

2. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

3. StarManta

StarManta

I figured you would keep 4.6b17 around for that reason, but is it possible to add b19 as a separate version option (with NO WEB PLAYER SUPPORT in big red letters)? (This wouldn't make a difference if the API's weren't incompatible)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  4. StarManta

StarManta

If not that, how about this: would it be possible to differentiate between the two with a preprocessor directive?

Code (csharp):
    1. #if UNITY_CLOUD_BUILD
    ....consider this one a more general purpose feature request.

hypeNate likes this.
  5. andsee

andsee

Please consider a solution to allow us to move forwards using the latest 4.6 betas even if they do not support the web platform, as I'm sure there are plenty of developers that wish to use the latest beta above supporting web.
    Perhaps allow selection of b19 etc if the project does not have the web build ticked in settings?

Or for now StarManta's suggestion of #if UNITY_CLOUD_BUILD would also solve the issue but not ideal as I'd prefer to know the cloud build was using the same version of unity as I am locally.

But I think the #define would be a good addition anyway for other possible uses.

schmosef and hypeNate like this.
  6. StarManta

StarManta

We now have b20 which is more stable and has a Web player to go with it - any word on including b20 in UCB?

schmosef likes this.
  7. pahe

pahe

Would be nice. I'm waiting for that too ^^

schmosef likes this.
  8. schmosef

schmosef

I miss using Cloud Build. Looking forward to an update so I can use it again.

9. StarManta

StarManta

I chose Cloud Build over having the latest beta, but I really would like to have both.

10. schmosef

schmosef

Some of the things they've fixed in the newer betas were bugs that I myself reported. I need those fixes so I don't have the option of staying on the old beta.

Ironically, they are bugs with Windows Store builds.

I can't use the 4.5.4 version either because I need uGUI as well.

andsee likes this.
  11. CatchCo

CatchCo

So I spent a few hours chasing down some issues that turned out to be beta 17 related. I've been on 19 for some time (and now 20). I understand it's a beta, but I would also appreciate having 20 (which apparently is stable) as a choice.

12. andsee

andsee

Keeping my fingers crossed, checking daily to see if Beta 20 has appeared in the cloud settings since the above link has been updated with:

4.6 Beta 20 is now ready for testing!
    This beta has had full testing pass and has webplayer support.

13. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

schmosef and StarManta like this.
  14. CatchCo

CatchCo

Ah, my apologies for not responding soon enough, but this was an awesome and welcome surprise. Everything has been going great with the beta 20.

hypeNate likes this.
  15. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@StarManta and @andsee - as of yesterday, there is now a pre-compiler define called UNITY_CLOUD_BUILD that you can use in your projects on Unity Cloud Build (i.e., #if UNITY_CLOUD_BUILD etc). Let us know what you think!

CatchCo and StarManta like this.
  16. StarManta

StarManta

Will experiment with this in our builds for today and report back. Thanks!

17. andsee

andsee

Thanks. Just used #if UNITY_CLOUD_BUILD to keep our beta 21 build building in beta 20 on the cloud.

David-Berger and hypeNate like this.
  18. amit1532

amit1532

Cool, can you share how?

19. andsee

andsee

After upgrading our project to beta 21 (and taking note of what had to be changed) I then opened the project in beta 20 and added UNITY_CLOUD_BUILD to the project #defines locally & temporarily so that I could test.

I then went through the changes we had made to see which ones were compatible with the previous beta and added horrible #if code where we needed to do something different if still running in beta 20.

For example:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_CLOUD_BUILD
    2.                     canvas.renderMode = RenderMode.Overlay;
    3. #else
    4.                     canvas.renderMode = RenderMode.ScreenSpaceOverlay;
    5. #endif
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_CLOUD_BUILD
    2.     [RenamedSerializedData("m_Frame"), SerializeField]
    3. #else
    4.     [FormerlySerializedAs("m_Frame"), SerializeField]
    5. #endif
    I was probably lucky that there were just a few changes in the project that could be managed this way.

hypeNate and David-Berger like this.