Search Unity

unity 4.5 out

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The smooth gamemaker, Jun 3, 2014.

1. The smooth gamemaker

The smooth gamemaker

How do you feel about the new version of unity?

2. kaiyum

kaiyum

Nothing, Still at 4.3 and waiting for two things.
    1. 4.6
    2. unity 5 pro(or subscription) price adjustment

3. The smooth gamemaker

The smooth gamemaker

Seriously did you pay money?
    Do you belong to a game making studio?
    Didn't you read that you can use Unity for free unless you studio's annual turnover does not exceed USD 100,000?

4. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I've got the installer waiting right there, but I can't upgrade until my school does :(

5. kaiyum

kaiyum

I guess you are asking me. I don't belong to a game making studio, I am studio right now. I am using free version. But I don't see a point to upgrade unless it is deemed essential. So I am at 4.3. Once they adjust price of pro(specially subscription), I will consider buying. Once I got some money from release, I will pick it anyway(whatever the price is). Because I just F***ing love unity. UE4 is cheaper but unity3d is easier and "time is money".

And oh, about free vs pro, its not about money actually. Its about features. For many reason, pro is essential. Some case you just CAN NOT solve with "only free". To give example of it, it may require a huge wall of text.

6. Imre

Imre

Still crashes randomly, more frequently on exit. Still tons of issues with Mecanim in compiled/published runtime. Still does not call all animation events from Animator when animations are in transition etc. the list is long :)

7. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Works as good for me as it did before. I haven't really been affected by bugs. But then again, I don't use that many of Unity's features at the moment.

8. Waz

Waz

The new manual ordering is good, but it feels half-baked. Silly little bugs like how Duplicate in the hierarchy adds the new item as the last child instead of below the selection shows that Unity's approach of having a small beta test group is ineffective. It also reminded me of the very first bug I saw in unity and which still exists: Cut and Paste doesn't work. I've long since gotten used to dragging, but the new ordering means you're doing it much more often, and so you feel they pain of dragging long distances more often too. Hard to believe such a basic feature is still missing after all these years.

There are other bugs in the manual ordering too, to do with when prefabs are Applied. I haven't yet been able to describe the bugs well enough to make a full report, but currently it feels like "Did you test this at all?", so probably just need to wait for 4.5.1.

9. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

I kind of feel like it's either you get stuff out faster but get complaints of it being half-baked or you have the time taken to perfect it, but then have complaints that Unity is taking too long for updates.

pauloaguiar likes this.
  10. Waz

Waz

That's why being more open is the solution: those who would complain that it's not out yet can get their hands dirty with an open beta, and the bugs they find (and even fix, if the source is visible) should make for a better final release.

peterdeghaim and JasonBricco like this.
  11. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

I'm a Unity Indie user, so this wouldn't really benefit me right now, but what if they made early access to beta versions another feature of being a Pro user. The perception of most people is that Unity Pro is a more expensive choice than other engines (not trying to start that debate), and giving access to beta for Pro users who want to risk it would be a way to add a "feature" without taking away anything Indie users currently have.

peterdeghaim and JasonBricco like this.
  12. The smooth gamemaker

The smooth gamemaker

an approx. idea of when unity 4.6 will be out?

13. The smooth gamemaker

The smooth gamemaker

14. movra

movra

15. arkon

arkon

I'm finding it to be a bit flakey. Add a game object to another one as a child and it doesn't show up in the heirachy until you collapse and then re expand the game object that is the parent. Horrible ghosting of the text to in the hierarchy when you hover over something, but not always, just when you are trying to read something. 2d messes up sprite imports sometimes. Shaders seem to behave differently on IOS than they did on 4.3 which is causing a horrible stutter on my materials where I animate the offsets etc. NGUI is now misbehaving with 4.5 where it seems to take for ever for the system to report the screen size correctly, it used to be a few frames now its about a dozen frames or more. This causes my game screens to jump to the right for the first second play on IOS.

so all in all just as unreliable as before. except so far it's not trashed a project like 4.3 used to, but its only been a few days!

16. The smooth gamemaker

The smooth gamemaker

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I haven't seen any of these issues at all; I've used 4.5 quite a bit and it's been quite solid. Sounds like some of that could be an issue with graphics card drivers; e.g. I definitely have never seen anything like "horrible ghosting" on anything in Unity, ever.

--Eric

18. Murgilod

Murgilod

I've had the hierarchy collapse/expand thing happen a couple of times, but I can't reliably reproduce the results. It seems to only happen on PCs but not my Mac.

19. imtrobin

imtrobin

Reverted back to 4.3, broke quite a lot of things

20. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

@Imre
    Have you filed a bug report for this? If so, could you PM me the ticket number?

21. Imre

Imre

No, i have not filed any reports. I simply do not have time to create test projects.
    Crashes on exit are some memory management issues and these crashes do not trigger unity bug reporter.

And why you (read unity) had to add this kind of spam into my log window?
    count <= std::numeric_limits<UInt16>::max()
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    maxVertices < 65536 && maxIndices < 65536*3

If log line can't be longer than some predefined value just trim that line, do not spam this!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    michael-v likes this.
  22. zRedCode

zRedCode

I got the update, umh, i not ever noticed a bug, now im using unity 4.5 and waiting for unity 4.6!

23. vickygroups

vickygroups

I've had an AWFUL time. I can't build my game because Unity 4.5 gives me a vertices limit. But, I have NO 3D objects, so no meshes, so no vertices.

Also, Unity 4.5 won't build in iOS. It gives me an error related to google play store, which shouldn't even be called, and wasn't an error with Unity 4.3. When I posted, the volunteer told me I was wrong and wasn't getting the error that I got, kinda strange. Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 10.06.21 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 12.29.05 PM.png

24. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Well, as I've said in other threads, Unity renders text using meshes that get constructed dynamically, so something is causing Unity to attempt to render a large number of characters. I know it's stupid that the warning doesn't give you any indication about what's trying to be rendered. All that has changed from 4.3 to 4.5 is that there is now a warning whereas before there wasn't.

vickygroups likes this.
  25. Yukichu

Yukichu

4.5 has actually been very good to me overall; however, the 2D collider issue still exists, which is known and will be fixed in the future. I was very excited to hear it would be in the upcoming patches, then didn't make it. Ah well. I can wait and I hope others can too.

Overall, I like the new sorting because I place items in the order the makes sense to me. UI has 20 things in it, and I can order in the order they appear, not the order I named them. Sometimes things do get lost in the list, particularly when instantiating at runtime, but... overall, I like it.

Also, just the fact that the headless linux CPU bug was fixed made it a must-update for me.

26. vickygroups

vickygroups

Why would the error go away in Unity 4.3? I don't have any meshes. I only have PNGs imported as sprites. I've deleted the instructions.

27. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

The problem (too many verts) was simply (and quietly) ignored in 4.3.

vickygroups likes this.
  28. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's not about your meshes, it's about the meshes used in Unity. Everything is a mesh...sprites, text, etc. Everything.

--Eric

29. outtoplay

outtoplay

I unfortunately have little confidence in upgrading to 4.5 from 4.3...which is a drag. The damn thing seems (from feedback posted here), to be a rolling potpourri of random issues. It's hard not to become discouraged at the prospects for the software when the patches seem to cause as many problems as they solve.

The decision to upgrade should be based on confidence that the dev team has it under control, not a gutsy roll of the dice to see if the latest rev f___s up a complex project.

30. andymads

andymads

I've had to revert back to 4.3.4 from 4.5.1 in order to get a submission build done (iOS). There's been bugs which all seem to involve prefabs in the hierarchy - I've submitted a couple of bug reports with reproducible test case projects. There were some other problems that were not bugs, but something had changed in Unity which meant I had to do a bit of rearranging of code.

I'm currently looking at a problem where I have a mesh created procedurally and I've changed its UVs (and can query the changed UVs) yet the mesh is using the wrong UVs when rendering. This only happens when it's a prefab. I am trying to see if I can create a simple test case project to send with a bug report.

31. andymads

andymads

Ok, I submitted a bug report (618359) with a project that reproduces the issue.

EDIT:

Received a reply :)

EDIT 2:

They've fixed it!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  32. andymads

andymads

Submitted another prefab related bug report with test case project (618567), this time for an issue where links from components on prefabs to custom assets (ScriptableObject) were lost on importing into 4.5.1.

33. vickygroups

vickygroups

If anyone else has these issues with Android, update Unity with 4.5.2 and replace your Googleplay plugin. It wasn't my game after all, as I couldn't even build the Unity Space Shooters game in Android. Meanwhile, I got to experience building a web player version that we are posting on our website to give folks a sneak preview :)

34. THEAK472009

THEAK472009

We are halfway into summer. When is 4.6 coming! Even if you tell us the month of release, we will be happy.

35. daisySa

daisySa

You can be confident it will be out next month at Unite (unless they release Unity 5 before 4.6 - which is possible but unlikely).

I'm actually really pleased with 4.5.2 and the recent general direction of UT (i.e. focusing on bug fixes), to the point where I just pre-ordered Unity 5. Now the painful waiting period begins! :)

36. Yukichu

Yukichu

After much thinking of moving over to UE4, I felt the same way. Competition is good. I ended up buying a pro license.