Search Unity

Unity 4.5.1 - Critical Monodevelop Problem

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dilbertian, Jul 4, 2014.

1. dilbertian

dilbertian

I am on Unity Pro 4.5.1f3 and Windows 8.1.

Monodevelop is missing critical (Project -> Assembly-CSharp-vs-Option) menu option, so I cannot switch my target framework over to .NET Mono 4.0. This is critical because I am using several complex code libraries which have been developed specifically for .NET Mono 4.0 and are using default parameters.

Ever since installing 4.5.1 Monodevelop has been reverting back the .NET Mono 3.5 target framework everytime I have to restart Unity. So up until a few hours ago the Project -> Assembly-CSharp-vs-Option menu item was present and at least allowing me to temporarily update the .NET Mono 3.5 setting to .NET Mono 4.0 as is required for the project I am working on.

Prior to the critical menu items vanishing earlier, the Unity editor had been acting a bit strange in the Scene view with the Iso/Perspective XYZ axis tool partially vanishing so that only the middle area (Iso/Perspective selector) was visible.

Trouble shooting steps:
    Besides restarting Unity and rebooting several times first, I have completely uninstalled Unity/Monodevelop, rebooted and then performed a full re-install a short while ago which did not help in any way.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,

-Tim

2. TieSKey

TieSKey

If u don't use the Assets-> Sync MonoDevelop Proyect the settings wont revert. At least that worked some months ago.

3. Dantus

Dantus

4. dilbertian

dilbertian

Yes, I was doing a sync monodevelop project on several occasions, perhaps each time. I had previously been developing on a Mac and Mono 4 had been reasonably stable there after several initial minor problems, but on Windows it seems to be a total flake. I submitted a ticket to Unity Support and unless they can correct this problem, it looks like I'll have to move over to Visual Studio once I can fit it in the budget.

5. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

They'll try to provide help and advice, but you should be submitting bug reports for the QA team to look into. (I'm not convinced that Unity is designed to let you switch Mono version... I'd thought that Unity used a fixed Mono version, which you're encouraged to create your external assemblies with.)

6. dilbertian

dilbertian

7. dilbertian

dilbertian

I ended up dumping MonoDevelop and going back to Visual Studio. Over the past 4 years Mono has been absolutely brilliant minus a few minor errors on Mac, but on Windows now, Mono has proven to be absolutely dreadful. Thank god Microsoft has the new BizSpark program or I couldn't have afforded the VS license otherwise!