Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4(3d Modeling)

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by Mikie, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie

Will Unity 4 have the ability to do some 3d modeling?

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I hope not.

3. HolBol

HolBol

Why do you need it to do modelling?

4. MADmarine

MADmarine

I haven't seen any official announcement of this, so I really doubt it's coming any time soon. If you want a 3D modelling package, get 3DS Max, Maya or Blender.

If you really want it within Unity, I remember there being an editor plugin on the asset store that looked quite good for the basics.

5. Mikie

Mikie

Just looking for something less expensive than Maya, 3dsMax.

6. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

Try Wings 3D for static models.

I love it lol

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

There are cheaper and pretty good alternatives, look around.

8. echtolion

echtolion

9. Artimese

Artimese

Silo, cheetah4d, blender, wings3d, (educational) version of maya and/or 3ds max, zbrush (yes low poly models can be done too with it)

If unity came with 3d modeling built in, nobody would like it, as awesome as it sounds, theres a reason why 95% of game engines do not do this (even multi million dollar ones like unreal/cry engine)

10. Mikie

Mikie

Anyone using Sketchup 8?

11. goat

goat

It's free try it.

For free there is Hexagon 2.5 DAZ Studio 4 Pro Bryce 7.1 Pro, TrueSpace 7.6, Wings 3D, Blender (combine it with gimp makehuman if you like) that will take you a long way. Seem like their are a couple of others but if none of these suits your needs you'll need to ask for help on a 3D modeling forum.

12. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

A mix of Sketchup (for certain things) and Blender (for others)...with Gimp for textures.

...ahem, I'm cheap. :)

13. tatoforever

tatoforever

Indeed! You are very inexpensive! :D

14. ivanzu

ivanzu

UDK Has mesh modeling tools not advanced but still modeling tools.

15. Tiles

Tiles

Sometimes it would be handy when you wouldn`t need to fire up your 3D software and go through the whole import process again just to fix a single vertice ...

16. nipoco

nipoco

Yes.
    And it would be nice if Unity 4 can do my Tax returns and maybe a hot chocolate...

17. Vert_old

Vert_old

You can also look into trueSpace 7.6(free since 2008 when Microsoft bought the company for its 3d tech to compete with Google SketchUp/Earth and then laid off the whole company due to "the economy"). The site is down now, but the exe can still be found on cnet's download.com etc. Else try blender, 2.5+ has a UI closer to Max/Maya and is very capable.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  18. nart_schinackow

nart_schinackow

19. eskovas

eskovas

I don't want to sound like i'm advertising our game here, but we are using Blender and Gimp to create models, animations and textures for our game.

Blender and GIMP are very good and both free. Check it out for yourself:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x38zKfVQ4I&feature=relmfu

everything you see in the video was created with free software (Unity Free, Blender and GIMP)

20. Mikie

Mikie

Eskovas, wow nice work. I am trying Blender. Also, using Das Studio. Is your stuff in the asset store?

21. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

My biggest issue with Blender is how extremely unintuitive the UI is. STILL. Heck the whole workflow. It's like whoever designed it looked at how most software in the world works, and gave it the bird.

22. Lynn Fredricks

Lynn Fredricks

Pretty soon you are going to have a free 3d modeling package that's targeted especially for Unity game design. The first release will appear on the Mac App Store fairly soon, with a Windows version following.

There are a few URLs below. Its based on a sub-set of features of Shade Professional:

* Shade 3D for Unity Overview
    * Shade 3D for Unity Tutorial 1
    * Shade 3D for Unity Tutorial 2

There's also an add-on for Unity already in the Asset Store that will help with exchanging models between Unity and Shade 3D for Unity.

unityunity