Search Unity

Unity 4.3 Beta?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scryedzxp, Aug 30, 2013.

1. scryedzxp

scryedzxp

Is it in beta and is it possible to participate in it? I really want to try out the 2D tools.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's not public; you need to be invited. Occasionally they have public beta testing but usually not.

--Eric

3. User340

User340

Or you could ask

4. Ghirigoro

Ghirigoro

How do you ask?

5. rpnode

rpnode

beta access would really be awesome! i need the 2d tools for my game for the windows-challenge! :D
    currently i'm fighting with evil async rendering issues that i'm not able to fix...

6. Arowx

Arowx

I'm wondering if the automatic atlasing feature will work with 3D model textures?

7. kebrus

kebrus

The company i'm working on released a 2D game last month using 2D toolkit, everyone on the team is curious about the new unity2D but more importantly we need to decide our developing pipeline for the next months and we need to judge if it's viable to adapt it on our existing projects and the ones we are about to start, if there's some way we could get into beta it would be awesome for us

8. agentsmith

agentsmith

@kebrius- We've been using 2D Toolkit too... absolutely love it. I sent an email to the 2D toolkit's developers and this was their response:

"Hi Jordan,

Yup, we'll definitely continue 2D Toolkit for as long as its financially viable. We really love it and working on it, so don't worry about us just disappearing off the face of the planet :) The plan is to concentrate focus on things Unity doesn't do, or does poorly - and their offering is pretty bare bones, so i'm sure there'll be loads to improve upon.

We'll also offer a pretty transparent transition to the new physics engine, so you should be able to simply use it directly without messing about with anything else - AND mix with Unity sprites, etc.

--
    Dinesh Kumar
    Software Engineer | Director
    Unikron Software Ltd
    www.unikronsoftware.com"

9. kebrus

kebrus

to be fair i'm pretty happy with 2dtk, the developer is pretty awesome with anything regarding the 2dtk, and when i saw the new unity 2D it was obvious that any 2D solution (not just 2dtk) would have to adjust their offering to stay relevant, in our case though we must analyze not only what can we do but at which speed we do it and at what cost, is unity 2D running faster than 2Dtoolkit? is developing with unity 2D faster than 2Dtoolkit (coding and tools)? these are the things we need to check before committing to a pipeline and it would be pretty good to answer these questions before we start another project

again, I'm with you, i love 2D toolkit too :)

10. agentsmith

agentsmith

@kebrus- "is unity 2D running faster than 2Dtoolkit" <--- My take away from the email is that they'd incorporate what Unity has already done and just provide a UI to make it "faster" to develop. I didn't get the impression that it would add on top of native 2D unity elements at runtime. At some point, (4.x?) when they release their "new" gui system, it too will probably be bare bones compared to NGUI. And as you said, to stay relevant, I assume NGUI will adjust their product to use the parts that are built into Unity's new GUI.

One more thing to take note, if there is an issue/bug/problem with Unity's 2D system or their new GUI, you have to wait for Unity to put out an update which is very slow compared to a fix from NGUI or 2D Toolkit.

11. FrankStarsKo

FrankStarsKo

does anybody knows if unity 4.3 or the equivalent to public release will fix some problems with xcode 5 and ios 7?

12. Le-nain

Le-nain

Most likely not - at least not as is - as the auto atlas they presented generates meshes of the texture's shape => more efficient packing, but hey, I don't think you want your model's textures to be individual meshes.

13. AnuvaTech

AnuvaTech

As for the unity GUI comparing to NGUI, you would like to know that Michael "ArenMook" Lyashenko (the guy who built NGUI solely) is now working for Unity and he is doing pretty awesome work. UnityGUI is completely different in workflow from NGUI, so they won't clash I think.

14. agentsmith

agentsmith

Ah cool, I wasn't aware.

15. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I am certain we'll have XCode 5 and iOS7 compatibility. Quite when this will arrive I don't know.

16. InfiniteDesign

InfiniteDesign

unity devs said the new gui is ngui in their keynote, then they laughed

17. Nooch

Nooch

Features shmeatures... I'm actually more excited to finally be getting an updated Monodevelop! ;)

18. whydoidoit

whydoidoit

I totally agree.

19. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

If you don't use UnityScript, You can download and run Xamarin Studio (monodevelop 4) and its Unity tools and debug plugin, and use that for the time being. It's about a million times more responsive than 2.8 ever was and much, MUCH faster.

20. whydoidoit

whydoidoit

Are the Unity plugin and debugger available somewhere? Can I use the ones from the normally installed build?

21. whydoidoit

whydoidoit

Ah found it, thx!!

22. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Just out of curiosity, do we have a "what's new" list of all the cool stuff unity made for 4.3?

23. kenlem

kenlem

Where did you find them?

24. mohessaid

mohessaid

Hello!

when the 4.3 version will be released?

I want to use the 2d toolkit with my new 2d game.

25. liszto

liszto

I think you can hope for the 4.3 release in the 2 or 4 coming weeks

26. softrare

softrare

It's strange, Unity 4.3 seems released already, but the updater of the desktop program does not say that there is a new version.

27. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Unity doesn't 'push' the latest update to everyone at release to ensure it's stable enough. It's mostly a best-practice to ensure only 'willing' people download it and if a showstopper is found there isn't a huge impact.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  28. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thread starter = first post.
    I dont need to say more, please lock this thread.

29. softrare

softrare

I understand. Thank you very much for clearifying.