Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Unity 4.3] After upgrading to 4.3, the native android plugin stops working

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Rhombic, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Rhombic

Rhombic

So after upgrading to unity 4.3, some android devices encounter black screen when loading the game.

Please check this as soon as possible, seriously:sad:

2. wsj_0000

wsj_0000

I also met this problem. And also cannot degrade the project. So seriously!
    Wait for answer online.
    Thx!

3. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

Good day.

I have random reports about "Black screen and music is playing" from several users as well. If the music is playing, then the game was successfully initialized and the scene was loaded.

Unity version is 4.3.0f4

Devices reported: Galaxy Ace2 (GT-I8160), f11ref2, ITP-R208W (rk30sdk)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  4. dis-s

dis-s

Customers report the same problem, Galaxy Ace2 Android 2.3.6. I will be appreciated for any info.

BTW: Does anybody know the way to allow the customers download the previous version of app from Google Play?

5. sunny___

sunny___

I have found a way to solve the problem. You may try that:
    Add a transparent image to the "Default Cursor" in PlayerSettings
    This fixes the black screen problem for my game in Nexus One (andorid 2.3.6).

6. dis-s

dis-s

It seems it's not working.

I have found the better way - I have downgraded to Unity 4.2.2 and now everything is working again. I am not sure I will upgrade soon, it seems to be too dangerous....

7. jofa

jofa

We are encountering the same BLACK screen issue.
    How did you manage downgrade your 4.3 project to 4.2?

8. dis-s

dis-s

9. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

It looks like phones with Mali-400 and Adreno 205 GPUs have black screen issues. My new game already got 13 "one stars" for that BUG.

DerLasseHenrich likes this.
  10. MajidKhosravi

MajidKhosravi

Same here, in 6 months we had 30 1 star and in 3 days now we got 58 1 stars.

Had to revert latest update back and publish the old version again and seems one stars slowed down.

11. dis-s

dis-s

Could you please tell me how you reverted the old version in Google Play? I could not able to do it - Google Play told me something like "not all devices supported" when I tried to disable the new APK and enable the old one..

12. MajidKhosravi

MajidKhosravi

I have used my backup of old version and in Unity gave it a higher version number and then published it.

13. Aurigan

Aurigan

I had too much new code to revert to an older version. For me, deleting everything but the assets folder from the unity project then re-setting everything to do with player/quality etc. worked fine.

14. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

I tried to search deeper and it appears that NGUI shaders could cause black screen issues in the past.
    Guys, are you using NGUI in your games, or these issue is not related to NGUI?

15. dis-s

dis-s

I am using NGUI. But with Unity 4.2.2 everything is working fine...

16. damelin

damelin

We also got report from users about a black screen upon starting-up the game, while the music still play in background. Mostly on these devices: Galaxy S Advance (GT-I9070), Galaxy Ace2 (GT-I8160), nuclear-evb, Xperia sola (MT27i) - They all have a Mali-400 gpu (related?)

Turning on the player settings "Use 32-bit Display Buffer" has fixed the problem. I've noticed that this option is now turned-on by default in new Unity project.

17. dis-s

dis-s

Thanks, it's very useful info.

18. bandister

bandister

After upgrading to 4.3 I came across the same issue I can see only black screen and I hear music. Fortunately I can downgrade my Unity and everything works for now.

19. dis-s

dis-s

As far as I can see - Unity 4.3.2 released. Does anybody info if "black screen" bug fixed in this version?

20. dis-s

dis-s

Thanks. It's the bad news. It's interesting to see the comments about it from the Unity stuff.

If somebody from Unity read this post please tell - do you know about this problem? Any plans to solve it?

21. Seely

Seely

Hi guys,
    this sounds like the same problem we are discussing in the thread:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/213331-Android-Black-Screen

I just notice in this thread though that a lot of people are seeing this problem on devices with Mali-400 GPUs, and I can add to that, our devices with Mali-400 are also having this problem.

22. richyz

richyz

I think the errors that this in the manifest, and without advertising the games apparently do not have this problem

23. amduartev

amduartev

i have the same problem in XperiA Z1

24. damelin

damelin

Hi, Which Unity version did you use to build your app?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  25. amduartev

amduartev

Version 4.3.3f1

26. paulstewart

paulstewart

Hi , Just had this same problem with an Android game after upgrade from Unity 4.2.2 to Unity 4.3.4 massive increase in one stars.
    After further testing found problem on Samsung fame black screen on first starting game.

Tried turning on 32 Bit Display Buffer - Still getting Black Screen on first start up

Tried turning on both 24 Bit Depth Buffer 32 Bit Display Buffer - Problem seems to be fixed

My game contains both MobileCore Ads Admob banner
    I can only confirm this sorted my problem on Samsung Fame ,GPU - Broadcom VideoCore IV
    Will have to watch my review rating closly after update and post update

Cheers
    P. Stewart
    Open World Gaming Android
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Open-World-Gaming

27. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone, there could be two reasons for this issue.

The first one is that you have selected the "OpenGL ES 3.0" graphics level in the player settings. OpenGL ES 3.0 must be supported by the device or else it will not work - a hardware and software support is required. OpenGL ES 3.0 support was officially added with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update, so if a device has previous Android version, or it was released a long time ago before the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update was released, OpenGL ES 3.0 will not work (there are a few exceptions). You can see this bug report as well: http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/openggl-es-3-dot-0-applications-does-not-run-on-old-devices

Another reason could be that you have enabled the "Multithreaded Rendering" in the player settings. So far we are aware of only one device where this happens: http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/application-freezes-on-the-kindle-fire-first-generation
    If your issue is caused by the multithreaded rendering, please submit a bug report, provide a project which would allow us to reproduce the issue and also specify device names with Android versions where you are able to reproduce this issue.
    Before reporting the bug, make sure you are using the latest available Unity version (which currently is 4.3.4f1) and that the issue is still reproducible with it. As always the latest version can be downloaded here: http://unity3d.com/unity/download

Demoneon likes this.
  28. amduartev

amduartev

I fix the problem! Camera Settings HDR OFF and working!

29. redpiggames

redpiggames

in my case, my Camera Settings is same as u but, it still doesn't work . so im sorry, but it's not exactly solution.:sad:

30. xixgames

xixgames

I have the same problem

31. mamoniem

mamoniem

probably you are using some mouse events with android build (to emulate touch in the easy way). putting a small image (32*32) for the mouse icon in the build settings, will stop showing the blue/black screen !
    That's at least what happened in my case.

32. fahadguru

fahadguru

Hi I had the same problem(no visual but we can hear sounds & play game ) in Gamescene only ...splash & menu & game loading scenes were fine ..so i checked everything new in game scene and found that ...in code there was a Quality setting

QualitySettings.antiAliasing = 8; (this was added to smoothen the jagged edges of some assets coming over NGUI UI )

when I removed this line game is working & in Android output there was no jagged edges also..

So guys try change Quality setting

Arkade likes this.
  33. fahadguru

fahadguru

QualitySettings.antiAliasing = 8; was the ONLY issue I confirmed it by putting that line back then I got BLACK SCREEN ..
    in our game scene
    * NGUI UI was there,(there was even a custom shader for NGUI elements)
    * 3 cameras(1 perspective & 2 orthographic)
    * 1 Directional light

I am telling all these things because I ruled out all of these elements..