Search Unity

Unity 4.2 SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier regression

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Alexey, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

We found out that we broke SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier in 4.2 (it will return values different from before)
    you need to change Unity/DeviceSettings.mm:
    change
    CC_MD5(macaddr_str, sizeof(macaddr_str), hash_buf);
    to
    CC_MD5(macaddr_str, sizeof(macaddr_str)-1, hash_buf);

2. jvil

jvil

I'm a little confused about SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier as doc says it is guaranteed to be unique for every device.

It's the equivalent to Settings.Secure.ANDROID_ID on Android? Or it's another identifier that Unity generates? Because with ANDROID_ID there has been at least one widely-observed bug in a popular handset from a major manufacturer, where every instance has the same ANDROID_ID, so can't be guaranteed to be unique for every device. Also, it is not 100% reliable on releases of Android prior to 2.2.

Anyone can clarify this deviceUniqueIdentifier for Android?

Thanks!

3. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

this is a post about ios ;-)
    but regarding android - we use hash of mac addr, and check android_id only if there is no permission to access telephony

4. skullthug

skullthug

Sorry to hijack this back to Android, but I'm having difficulty getting SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier to default to displaying android_id. I have a custom AndroidManifest.xml that has the phone permission removed, but it keeps getting re-added (I'm assuming by Unity) automatically when I build. Removing the call to SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier removes the permission from being auto-added.

Does Android_ID only occur if the device is not a phone and thus cannot get permission? There's so little documentation on this :(