Search Unity

Unity 4.2 screen orientation lock problem

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by eduilnero, Jul 29, 2013.

1. eduilnero

eduilnero

Hi everybody!

I am facing a problem with screen orientation lock since I have upgraded to Unity 4.2. In previous versions I could lock screen orientation in Build->Player Settings, but now I cannot. While trying my app (in different devices) I find that my selected screen orientation option is not being locked and, moreover, I get a crash when it changes.
    After some tests I could fix it by code but if screen orientation changes during Unity Splash screen time it still crashes... I do not know if it is a bug of this latest version or if I have not found the proper way to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. LeoCeballos

LeoCeballos

Hey Eduilnero, are you using any plugins?

I had a problem with a plugin (Vuforia) which created its own android manifest file and that was messing up the screen orientation. I had to edit that manually. Also only started happening with 4.2

3. eduilnero

eduilnero

Mmmmh yes I am using some plugins, I will check it out. Thank you!! :)

EDIT:

That was it!!!!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  4. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Edited post because i found the place to edit.

But i'm leaving this here just to show that one more guy had the same issue.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  5. boonyeo

boonyeo

I've having the same issue too but its coming from Plugins that have nothing to do with the presentation of the game. My best guess is they are overriding with default settings... How would you go with removing the |orientation| component of the manifest properly? I tried to just delete that section and resulted in crashes after the device tried to rotate the app.

6. sooryan

sooryan

I too have same problem here.Not finding any proper solution.I am using unity 4.2.2
    also free facbook sdk installed

7. renanss

renanss

Anybody knows how to fix this?
    I'll try to look a deep more on the manifest file, but as said early, it's very easy to crash this file.

8. renanss

renanss

Anyone still interested, the solution was to edit the AndroidManifest.xml of the plugin, in my case, ChartBoost.

This is how I forced to keep my game in landscape mode:
    Code (csharp):
    2.         <activity android:name="com.chartboost.sdk.unity.CBUnityPlayerActivity"
    3.                   android:label="@string/app_name"
    4.                   android:screenOrientation="landscape"
    5.                   android:configChanges="fontScale|keyboard|keyboardHidden|locale|mnc|mcc|navigation|orientation|screenLayout|screenSize|smallestScreenSize|uiMode|touchscreen">
    6.         </activity>
    7.         <activity android:name="com.chartboost.sdk.unity.CBUnityPlayerNativeActivity"
    8.                   android:label="@string/app_name"
    9.                   android:screenOrientation="landscape"
    10.                   android:configChanges="fontScale|keyboard|keyboardHidden|locale|mnc|mcc|navigation|orientation|screenLayout|screenSize|smallestScreenSize|uiMode|touchscreen">
    11.             <meta-data android:name="android.app.lib_name" android:value="unity" />
    12.             <meta-data android:name="unityplayer.ForwardNativeEventsToDalvik" android:value="true" />
    13.         </activity>
    14.         <activity android:name="com.unity3d.player.VideoPlayer"
    15.                   android:label="@string/app_name"
    16.                   android:screenOrientation="landscape"
    17.                   android:configChanges="fontScale|keyboard|keyboardHidden|locale|mnc|mcc|navigation|orientation|screenLayout|screenSize|smallestScreenSize|uiMode|touchscreen">
    18.         </activity>

And here you can check all possbile ScreenOrientation modes:
    https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/activity-element.html#screen