Search Unity

Unity 4.1.2 profiler

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by haggis, Mar 30, 2013.

1. haggis

haggis

Updated to 4.1.2 yesterday in the hope that my issue with the profiler would be fixed but alas no :(

As soon as I open the profiler window, Unity grinds to snail pace taking up to a minute to register any mouse click. I'm starting to think this is a problem at my side but not sure where to start looking to try and fix the problem.

Was really looking forward to using the new profiler features!

I am using the following:

Unity Pro 4.1.2 (iOS and Android)
    MacBook Pro 15" mid 2009 with 3.06 GHz / 8GB
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
    OSX 10.8.3

Appreciate any help (no bug report sent to Unity yet)

2. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

It's definitely on your end, since I was using the profiler in the Pro trial on a more poorly specced system than that with no problems.

3. haggis

haggis

Thanks MarigoldFleur. All of my software is up to date as far as I know so does anyone know what I can do to resolve issue?

4. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

you should bug report it. I would bet on buggy nvidia drivers - but you never know until you try it out ;-)

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Try removing what it profiles on the left so it's only showing Scripts as a category, should lessen the load. Does it speed up any if your profiler window is very small? or docked?

Is this a hackintosh? is your ram verified? I used unity's profiler fine (3.5) with my old macbook white 2010 without problems til it died. Does 3.x exhibit the same problem?

you are automatically licensed for older versions of unity so you should be able to give 3.5.7 a trial run with the profiler (use angry bots if you don't have an older project) - if it still occurs then it will be a bug for you to file to unity.

Remember, unity upgraded the profiler with 4.1 so that could be it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  6. haggis

haggis

Thanks for the feedback.

I have tried with an empty project, with the profiler docked, maximised and small window and it makes no difference. I have even closed all the profilers leaving an empty profiler window and still no joy - as soon as I close the profiler window everything runs well again. My computer is the standard spec from Apple with no modification since purchased.

The profiler ran just fine previous to 4.1.1. Since updating, Unity is running well with this one exception :(

I have just installed older versions of Unity (4.0 and 3.5.6) and low and behold the profiler is no longer working! The only other installations have been Photoshop CS6 and Adobe Muse.

I have sent a bug report although I suspect the problem is at my end somewhere. Anyone else with a similar issue?

7. ng-pixels

ng-pixels

Same problem here!

8. ng-pixels

ng-pixels

To haggis
    Do you have installed drivers from Nvidia?

9. haggis

haggis

@ng-pixels
    I have not installed any drivers other than those which come with Apple updates.

It looks like quite a few others are experiencing the same problem. See this thread

10. HilariousCow

HilariousCow

Same problem! I'm on unity 4.1.1, but it sounds like 4.1.2 doesn't fix it?

I have multiple versions of unity installed for legacy projects (latest v3, and v4.0.1). I wonder if that could be it?

The project I am looking at has a large amount of textures in it. Could that affect things? Sounds like OP tried it in a clean project and still had issues.

OSX version 10.8.3, iMac, 24-inch, Early 2008

3.06GHz Intel Core Duo

4GB 800MHz DDR2

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 MB

[Edit] Interesting: as soon as I hit play, the profiler window can be moved around and resized without beach balling for ~20 seconds at a time. As soon as I hit "record" on the profiler, I beach ball again.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  11. toxikman

toxikman

Same problem here. 13" Macbook Pro, ca. 2008. OSX Lion 10.8

Unity 4.1.0 hangs whenever the Profiler panel is open.

12. CgShady

CgShady

Same problem here on a MacBook 13" late 2008.
    It happened right after the last system update.
    Can a system update be removed ?

13. dot_entity

dot_entity

Same problem here as well.

Unity Pro 4.1.1f4 (is 4.1.2 a beta build, 'cause it doesn't seem to find update with my current version?)
    MacBook Pro 15" mid 2009 with 3.06 GHz / 8GB
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB (although I usually have the integrated GPU, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, on)
    OSX 10.8.3

Note: Prior Unity Pro 4 version, profiler was working well with the exception of when I updated to Mac OS 10.8 the GPU profiling (which was not an option with my previous OS10.6 version) was not displaying results always. It seems like graphic card drivers issue, which is not the only problematic issue that arrived with 10.8…
    I also noticed that we have similar systems.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  14. Alf203

Alf203

Same problem here using Unity Pro 4.1.1f4, MacBook Pro 17" early 2009. NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB on OSX 10.8.3.

The profiler was working previously on 4.0 If I remember correctly.

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No, you can go download it from the Unity site.

--Eric

16. dot_entity

dot_entity

I had sent a bug report to Unity a couple of days ago regarding the Profiler's failure. Following is their answer:

"Thank you for submitting this issue to Unity. Our developers have investigated this issue found that it is related to the GPU timer queries. This means that it is something that only Apple can fix. We have reported this issue to Apple, but we can not guarantee that the issue will be solved. If the issue will affect many users, what we can do is to disable the GPU profiling with specific graphic cards/OS X."

17. dot_entity

dot_entity

Thank you Eric! I guess some weird power prevented me from seeing the obvious!

18. theprojectabot

theprojectabot

Im having the same issue too: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB

19. taumel

taumel

20. betonos

betonos

Same problem on nVidia 9400M (MBP late 2009)

21. Iamdain

Iamdain

Just posting so I can get updates. Experiencing same issue:

MBP mid-2009
    OSX 10.8.3

22. dot_entity

dot_entity

The Profiler is back with the 4.1.3 version! Without the GPU profiling though, for us with the bugs-giving Nvidias...

23. dot_entity

dot_entity

The GPU profiler is back with the 4.6.1v! Just a happy remark...:)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You mean v 4.6.1 ?

25. dot_entity

dot_entity

My apologies! Corrected.

26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Just making sure :D

27. dot_entity

dot_entity

I actually thank you for pointing out the mistake! I would not like to find myself confused by a false statement, even if I would have shortly "debugged" the confusing error.