Search Unity

Unity 4.0 Pre-Order Beta 2 Released

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by Aurore, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Hey everyone,

We have released Pre-order beta 2! You can get more information and download it here http://unity3d.com/unity/beta/

There is a new activation process in place, if you have you already activated your 4.0 license this shouldn't affect you. If you are new to the Pre-order beta then you can find out how to activate here http://unity3d.com/unity/beta/activation.

Just a reminder that this is still a beta so you may encounter bugs and weird stuff, don't forget to submit them using the usual channels!

Aurore

2. pabu

pabu

"Unity 4.0 Pre-Order Beta 2" = Confusion
    "Unity 4.0 b11" = Less confusion

3. Bluestrike

Bluestrike

I hope the bug reporter is fixed :-D

4. Eqric

Eqric

Will we who have bought the Unity4 student version be able to test out the beta now? :)

5. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Unity 4.0 Pre-order Beta 2 equals Unity 4.0 b12 ? (as this is the version I just installed?) Better update the forum overview as well ;-)

6. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Just installed Unity 4.0b11 and It won't let me run it. it states "Serial exceeds maximum number of activations", I emailed sales, Unity 4.0b7 ran just fine, this was just an upgrade. So, now I'm stuck until someone in sales can help me.

Update: Unity Sales is awesome! They called me within seconds and fixed my issue!

Love them!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  7. Aurore

Aurore

Unity 4.0 Pre-Order Beta 2 is version 4.0b11 it's the second beta available to Pre-Order customers only.

With regards to the activation limit being reached on the same machine, if you contact support@unity3d.com they can help you out. I believe this may be an issue due to the new licensing system that is affecting a few users.

8. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Just installed b11 and it failed to activate my license by three times... Failed to connect to license server and similar errors.
    But then activation succeeded; This new licencing system is in need of some care.
    Btw, I like the new and polished Project panel... Hierarchy View need some re-work also :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  9. Aurore

Aurore

Did this happen just now?

10. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Yes.

11. Aurore

Aurore

I think we just pushed an update so it may just have been a slight hiccup while that was happening.

12. samuelmorais

samuelmorais

Hello, UT!

Just tested the beta build 2 and I am very pleased with the new Mecanim features. The ForceStateNormalizedTime function is exactly what I needed. Thanks, Unity and mecanim team!

I would like to suggest another function to the Animator class: offsetPosition and offsetRotation. It could be the offset of the character from its original position (the position at the first frame of the current state) . It would be almost like deltaPosition and deltaRotation, but the difference was that it would be computed not for the last evaluated frame, but in relation to the initial position and rotation of the current state being played.

Example: in a jump animation, if the character position at the end of the jump is Vector3(1.0,0.0,0.0), then the offsetPosition would be (1.0,0.0,0.0) at normalizedTime == 1.0 and maybe (0.54,0.4,0.0) at normalizedTime== 0.5.

I think it would be a very nice feature and maybe others developers also need it to display instant replays in sports games, for example, when you need to pause the animation and compute the position of the player at a specific time.

I would post this at wish list, but since it is very specific and related to a developer preview, maybe it is the right thread to post. If not, my apologies.

Best regards,

Samuel

13. Aurore

Aurore

@samuraibh cool suggestion, when 4.0 is released and if this feature isn't included, then it would a good idea to copy and paste this into a post on our feedback page.

14. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

On the release notes, the "New Web Player Update mechanism, which allows multiple runtime versions to be installed at the same time:" block is duplicated ;)

I was just trying them out now... The new image effects are outrageously good. The fps skyrocketed in more than 30 frames in some of my projects when I updated from old effects; Well done Unity :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  15. mr malee

mr malee

Hi, just wondering if I need to uninstall the previous beta before installing this one?
    Or can I install into the same directory as the previous beta?

16. samuelmorais

samuelmorais

You can just install it without uninstalling the previous version. Just create another folder, like "C:\Program Files\Editor4b11".
    But I don't know if it is true for Mac.:confused:

17. Aurore

Aurore

Should be the same on Mac, different directory path of course :)

18. mr malee

mr malee

great, thank you.

19. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Hello.

I have a question related to Unity 4.0b11 (Build 2). I am getting some fatal errors. They happen whenever I either click on, or drag almost any asset into my scene. I am using Mac OS version 10.8.2. Would/could re-installing Unity help?

And also, (for future releases,) is it possible to have multiple versions installed at the same time?

Regards,

Luka.

20. Aurore

Aurore

Have you tried setting up a new project and seeing if the problem still occurs then? Can you be a little more specific about the fatal errors you are getting?

And I don't see why you couldn't have simultaneous installations of different versions as long as they are in different root folders, because you can do that right now.

21. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Well, I have tried a new project, it is quite the same. (I even used different assets.) I have now submitted a bug report.

The fatal errors say something about 'Texture2D.cpp' and 'dynamic_array.h'

22. Aurore

Aurore

Have you also tried a installing it again? Could I get the bug number?

23. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Yes, I have tried re-installing it. It did not make any difference. If with the 'bug number' you mean the number I got when reporting the bug, then this is the number: 496493 .

Also, here are two screenshots of the fatal errors: