Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Unity 4.0.1f2]Blendshape support IS explicitly mentioned in the Docs!BUT FBX FAILED

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Verlsnake, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Verlsnake

Verlsnake

I have found two statements mentioning blendshape support in the official Unity Docs:

1. IMPORT SETTINGS FOR MESHES
    - <UnityHome>/Unity/Editor/Data/Documentation/Documentation/Components/FBXImporter-Model.html
    - STATEMENT:
    There's a checkbox "Import BlendShapes" on the model tab; disable this if your file contains BlendShapes and you don't want them to be imported.

2. MESHES
    - <UnityHome>/Unity/Editor/Data/Documentation/Documentation/Components/class-Mesh.html
    - STATEMENT:
    BLENDSHAPES
    Unity has support for BlendShapes (also called morph-targets or vertex level animation). Unity can import BlendShapes from .FBX (BlendShapes and controlling animation) and .dae (only BlendShapes) exported 3D files.

This sounds to me like blendshapes ARE natively supported by Unity now !

So what I have done is:
    - Exported an animated model with blendshapes to FBX
    - In DAZ Studio 3, DAZ Studio 4.5 and Shade for Unity
    - Using a lot of FBX export parameter variations
    - Imported those FBX models as mesh/model assets into Unity
    - BUT: I NEVER saw the "Import BlendShapes" checkbox appearing in the model tab !
    - I also did a few experiments with importing those models via COLLADA (DAE); they all failed, too ...

What has to be done in order to successfully import blendshapes via the FBX and/or COLLADA format into Unity ?

2. Dantus

Dantus

Seems Unity has published the documentation for a feature that is not yet in Unity. This is simply not yet available. It's a documentation bug.

3. jeffkotula

jeffkotula

Has anyone heard any more about this? Is Unity going to add blendshapes in a 4.x release?

4. Dantus

Dantus

Since Unity once published a roadmap and people were afterwards complaining about those features because they were not necessarily in the next release, Unity is not anymore open to share this kind of information. I have read a comment that it didn't make it into 4.1, which I understand as it will probably be in 4.2. But that is just guessing.

5. VeronicaZ

VeronicaZ

I would like a detailed tutorial on how to export from daz 4.6 to unity 4.3 so my daz characters can talk like in skyrim and I can begin to program real-time interactive character interactions finally after 10 years of waiting.

6. Metatronic

Metatronic

I can see that blendshapes work in unity as there are a few demos around with them. But if I try to import any decent sized fbx with blendshapes. Unity3D crashes right off the bat. I know the fbx is good because I can import back into maya or max.

Anybody figured out how to handle this? And yes I know about Megafiers.

7. Dantus

Dantus

If Unity crashes, you should submit a bug report that also contains the fbx file.