Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4.0.1f2 and avast 8.0.1482 = "getThreadContextfailed" error

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Spi, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Kwikalot

Kwikalot

@Chris,

If that's the case then I'm glad it will be backwards compatible :)

So far I got this error in the editor and playing standalone game - I didn't try the WebPlayer. As said before, it shows in random places - sometimes at startup screen, sometimes when Unity is just open and nothing happens.

I hope that this fix will work - if it would appear only in editor, I guess we could live with that for some time. But its appearing in the standalone version is very problematic.

And just to refresh that: to me this error happened only on 64-bit system. On Windows 7 32-bit everything was alright (with the same version of Avast and Unity as on the 64-bit OS computer).

2. Kaze_Senshi

Kaze_Senshi

I tried the webplayer made with this Unity that is crashing and I got no problems in my browser. I let it opened for 30 minutes and I got no error messages.

3. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Hey guys,

As promised here's a nice juicy update:

We were testing @joncham's fix the last two days or so and I am pleased to say we believe the issue is fixed. Here's some details on what we tested:

First of all, we used the repro project @akeplinger sent in - we reproduced it by running in play mode for x amount of time, I believe the error popped up after 20 mins or so, we then built the project to standalone and also waited for x amount of time and again the error popped up.

After confirming the repro, secondly, we applied @joncham's fix and followed the exact same steps to try and repro again. With the editor, we left it running overnight for at least 12 hours and we didn't see an error, everything was still running and no crash occurred. We also did the same for standalone build and again we can confirm that no error popped up, this was running for less time then the editor test, we stopped after 3.5 hours of running.

So to summarise, this is fixed and will hopefully make it into 4.2 release (no guarantees yet).

@Kwikalot I am also looking into the possibility of providing you a test which will hopefully confirm a fix your end as well, if of course that is something you're willing to help us out on?

Thanks,
    Chris

4. Spi

Spi

Hi Chris,

This is such good news ! Thanks again for this !

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

This is great news :)
    The issue is not a new one either, I've seen it since 2.6 at least back then caused in ESET due to its aggressive thread scanning algorithms in the process security. It was solvable by making ESET less agressive but its naturally great to hear that the potentially deeper root could be found and fixed :)

6. Kwikalot

Kwikalot

Of course :) I would be very happy to help

7. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Ok guys, @joncham has made a mono.dll you can all test with against the latest 4.1 release (we shipped that today).

This test is for editor only:

https://docs.google.com/a/unity3d.com/file/d/0Bz4rtnpF8SvMNm0tLUpRdUxrVzA/edit

Instructions:

1. Download mono.dll from above link
    2. Navigate here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\EmbedRuntime\
    3. Backup the current mono.dll in that folder
    4. Now place the new mono.dll
    5. Try to reproduce the error

Couple of additional things: Ensure editor isn't open while replacing mono.dll. This dll is only compatible with 4.1 editor release

To revert back, just replace new dll with the one you backed up.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks,
    Chris

8. Kwikalot

Kwikalot

I've installed Unity 4.1 and tried to reproduce the error before changing mono.dll file - after 7 hours of non stop work I still didn't experience the problem.

It looks like something was changed in the new version of Unity, that has stopped creating this error. I will continue to work without mono.dll fix and see, if the error will occur again.

9. Spi

Spi

Same thing for me, I've installed unity 4.1 without applying the mono.dll fix and the issue has not shown during all night ! I haven't tried a build yet...
    I'll still continue without the fix.

10. Smulan

Smulan

I am currently on 4.1.0f4 and am using Avast! 8.0.1483 and I just got the error without the fix, to clarify that 4.1 did not solve it without the .dll.

Now trying with the new mono.dll, hopefully it'll solve it because it is extremely disruptive :(

11. Spi

Spi

Edit : I ran another test and finally I got the error using the 4.1.0f4 without the mono.dll fix.

Will try with the fix...

12. Kwikalot

Kwikalot

14 hours of running and working in Unity without mono.dll fix - still no error.

@Spi, have you done something special/extraordinary to reproduce this? Or maybe it was random again?

13. Spi

Spi

In fact, On one computer (Seven 64bit) it worked fine during hours without the mono fix. But on another computer (windows 8 64bit), it crashed just a few seconds after running the editor in play mode... I will try longer with the mono fix next week...

14. Smulan

Smulan

Gone by a whole day of working now with no error, so I think the mono.dll indeed solved the issue ;)

15. Spi

Spi

No problem so far using the mono.dll fix...

16. Kaze_Senshi

Kaze_Senshi

Without problems here too using the mono.dll

17. MaT227

MaT227

I think this dll solves the problem concerning the editor but what about the webplayer ?

18. joncham

joncham

Unity Technologies

@Mat. the test dll was just for use in the Editor. The fix will apply for all Windows targets.

19. PolyMad

PolyMad

I am on Unity v3.5.7.f6 and have this bug too.
    I have put the entire folder of Unity in the global exceptions of my antivirus, Avast, so I don't think it's an antivirus problem.
    The only open app more than Unity was Chrome, with quite many tabs I admit.
    I will try and see if working without Chrome open will fix it.

Anyway, it would be nice if you fix this.
    I know you declared v3.5.7.f6 the last one of 3 series, but, you know, I paid quite some bucks for Pro, Android and iOS licenses, and I would like to work with it...

20. MaT227

MaT227

Is the fix included in the new version of Unity 4.1.2 ?
    What about Mac webplayer ?

21. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Fixed for 4.2 as mentioned in a previous post.

22. MaT227

MaT227

Great ! I forgot your previous post.

23. PolyMad

PolyMad

Cool, but ehm... for people with 3.5 no chance?

24. MikeErty

MikeErty

I'm on 4.1.2f1, tried the mono.dll fix and it still gives me this error at random - very disruptive as I get it every 10-20 minutes so i'm saving scenes every single time i change a parameter just in case it breaks.
    I'm also using Avast, its a company computer in the office so i cant really uninstall it.
    Hope this gets fixed soon so I can stop feeling nervous whenever I click anything.

Thanks and good luck :)

25. dsuse15

dsuse15

I've been having this issue with Unity since at least 3.0 with ESET Smart Security 4 5. I could reproduce it every time by closing Unity and running it for a second time. I am happy to say, that with this new dll file, I'm able to open and close Unity at-will without a full reboot. This is awesome!

Thanks guys for your effort with this :)

26. John-G

John-G

I've been having this error with crash to desktop non stop since I got Unity - put it down to windows 8, would happen within a few minutes of opening Unity running Version 4.1.0f4.
    Found this thread after weeks of looking for a solution and installed the mono.dll and it sorted out the bug. Thanks, can finally start to use Unity now.

27. DarkNAangel

DarkNAangel

ok then if I say I have this same issue with the game Kerbal Space Program every time i try to start the game in administrator mode.... don't work, tried it with Steam offline, don't work, yes I got the steam version of the game, tried it with the AV closed, still same thing. I even tried with different settings with my video card (SLI, Physix), different screen ( got a 2560x1440 and a 1920x1200) still the same. Tried closing everything I have exept for steam and the game, same thing.
    BTW my AV is Kaspersky PURE and i'm running on Windows 7 64 bits with a i7 950, 24 Go RAMS and 2x GTX 480.....
    Don't know if this can help cause I'm a gamer, the game use Unity 4.0.1f2

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  28. MikeErty

MikeErty

Just to remind you i'm still having this bug and have extra info to offer.
    I had to revert to making a game in 3.5 so i could pass assets to the other guys in the office who also use 3.5, however i still have 4 installed because my other project is being built in 4.
    I tried the mono.dll fix for the 4 version last week and it didn't help but I'm also getting the error on the older one now too.

So to summarise - i'm the only one in the office having this issue and i have the same setup as everyone else, same programs installed, same avast, same win 7, same unity.

29. gus512

gus512

Just to add some information, looks like I only get that error when working with Unity + Mono. When I do not open Mono, I'm able to work in Unity for hours without crash.

30. Kwikalot

Kwikalot

2 months passed without gTC error and suddenly today I'm having this issue again.

Unity version 4.1.2f1 - only major change made on my computer was todays update of Avast (v8.0.1489). The first time I had gTC error was also after Avast update.

So the problem still remains :(

EDIT:

mono.dll fix didn't work this time

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  31. Sasstraliss

Sasstraliss

The mono.dll fix works for my editor, but not for my published game. I'm fairly sure I'm on the latest version of trial pro.

32. tobmuell

tobmuell

Is there any way to fix this with an older Unity build (3.5.7) ?

33. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

I am getting reports of this issue with my game Lunar Flight. I am currently beta testing multiplayer and some players are crashing with this error, only in Multiplayer with this issue. It turns out they are also using Avast. I'm taking a guess it is not happy about the network traffic coming from the game, I am also using TNet?

I am using 4.1.2f1 Pro

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  34. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

See if they are using the latest (Avast) update, that's what fixed it for me (in the Editor).

35. schebo86

schebo86

It's defintely a problem with avast. After several "getThreadContextfailed" errors I uninstalled avast and installed an older version. It worked for 1-2 months without ANY errors. Yesterday I updated the version 8.0.1489 and the troubles are beginning again. In the middle of a game (offensive combat) the screen is freezing and the error field is visible. Only Ctrl+Alt+Del is possible. Extremely annoying! But I don't want (and I am sure other people) to abstain from an actual anti Virus program. There are NO Solutions there yet??!! not really professional at my point of view.

36. akeplinger

akeplinger

Yes, it's happening for me again. started happening again when I updated to the newest version of Avast. "GetThreadContext failed" Happening way too often.
    [Rereading posts, decided to limit my comments...]

Does that mono.dll replacement still work, so I can keep authoring until a real fix can be integrated into something?

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  37. akeplinger

akeplinger

The date on mono.dll is early May, so it was recompiled. Trying the one post previously. No crashes yet.
    Crossing fingers for a fix before I need to release my current project.

38. Stardog

Stardog

Same problem here. 8.0.1489 seems to cause this.

Here's a link to 1483, which I think was the previous version I had which was working fine.

http://www.filehorse.com/download-avast-antivirus/12945/

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  39. graslany

graslany

I currently run into a lot of "GetContextThread failed" issues myself. I also have Avast (Avast 8.0.??? + Unity 4.1.3f3).

40. Stardog

Stardog

41. CrowbarSka

CrowbarSka

I started experiencing this suddenly on Unity 4.1.2. I upgraded to the new 4.1.3 in the hope that it would fix the issue, but it's persistent as ever.

Disabling Avast doesn't seem to have much effect, neither did adding my Unity 'built games' folder as an exception.

I did find a fix in this Thomas Was Alone thread which simply involves running the game in Windows 98 / ME compatibility mode. I haven't tried doing this for Unity, and not sure what other implications this may have, but I didn't experience a crash in the game itself using this fix.

42. Nixaan

Nixaan

First i don't use Avast, i use ESET SS5. I'm not sure if its the same that causes the error, but the error is the same.

I just decided to try Unity today and I got this error (GetThreadContext failed) every time I start it (without holding ALT) or it just freezes on splash (sometimes with error sound), or get empty error window titled "Fatal error in gc". The other way to get "GetThreadContext failed" is by starting unity with ALT -> Create new project (on the startup window) -> then "Create Project" inside Unity "File" Menu.
    Its very likely the error will easily pop in other ways but after this i don't feel like trying unity more right now.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  43. Dreamora

Dreamora

ESET has suffered from this since 2011 already.
    On ESET its related to the advanced realtime heuristics. disabling them makes the problem go away as the antivirus guard is over agressive heavily impacting thread logic which crashes it.

44. Nixaan

Nixaan

They were never enabled here. Disabling eset real-time have no effect and so may have nothing to do with AV.

45. aristalis

aristalis

Compatibility mode for vista sp 2. Took me through the last ~5 levels absolutely perfectly. Maybe there's something useful that's different in this one.

46. oxium

oxium

Hi there

I also have this issue and it makes Unity almost unusable.. (it seems to always crash when you're in a middle of something and haven't saved for a while...)
    More seriously this is REALLY annoying..
    Can someone from Unity give us an ETA about when this will be fixed for those who are still working on the old (3.5) version of Unity..
    We have spent quite a lot of money to get the pro licenses so we would really appreciate if this could be fixed !

Any words from the awesome Unity folks ??
    Thanks

47. henrypuspurs

henrypuspurs

Same problem, currently installing the older version of Avast I'll try to remember to report back if it works (I generally remember when an error happens and forget if it doesn't happen.)

48. henrypuspurs

henrypuspurs

Nearly an hour in, no problems.

49. kasulogamestudio

kasulogamestudio

We are also receiving this error here. And reading this topic now, it really started after I updated my Avast antivirus to latest version.
    For me it happens like some users already described: after using in scene editor mode, or even play mode, it crashes saying the "GetThreadContext failed" window popup. And it really happens if I did not save the game project... I am using the latest Unity 4 PRO version.

Hope to see a fix soon :)

50. Poulpc

Poulpc

my Game Tester has Same problem

Hope to see a fix soon, its the only thing holding the relese of my first game