Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3D within windows Application Enviroment.

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Tapion817, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Tapion817

Tapion817

Good evening everyone,

I am a new developer and I am currently working on a Windows application. I have to integrate a window within the application that will show a 3D model and is controlled by the Windows application. I am a huge fan of the Unity engine and have worked on it as a hobby of mine. I am just wondering if it is possible to have an instance of a compiled Unity executable within my Windows application environment. So when I run the program, the Unity project will be loaded within the software. Here is a diagram to show what I mean. I don't need to know how to integrate it, just need to know if such integration is possible. Thank you.

$Windows Application Example.jpg

2. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

3. Tan-Tan

Tan-Tan

Thanks. I know in theory its possible, but I was hoping it would work with Unity simply because I've worked with it before and I'm quite fond of the engine.

4. Tan-Tan

Tan-Tan

When you say its possible, do you mean there is a possible way currently like a workaround? I don't need a deep explanation, just a general idea would be useful. Thanks.

5. mgear

mgear

Could you embed webplayer html instead (using webbrowser component, or what is it called these days : ),
    then maybe even can interact with it using javascript?

6. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Sorry for not being clear...Sadly there's no workaround, there has to be some tweaking in internal engine code.

7. Tapion817

Tapion817

Lame. Guess I'll have to use another engine then. :/

8. mgear

mgear

9. Tapion817

Tapion817

That seems pretty viable. I'll test some stuff out then, thanks.

10. wakespirit

wakespirit

Dear all,

We are new to unity and for a customer project we need to control a unity object with touch from a WPF c# touch application.

The object in unity is a small test 3D cube, given by our customer, that we should be able to rotate from a WPF container

How can we control that cube from our application ?

In WPF we have the possibility to have acces to the UNityWeb container as activex control, do you think if we run unity in that web browser we will be able to directly manipulate it with touch ?

Thnaks for your prompt help which will helpus to move forward as we are stuck here for days now

If have trial version of unity for testing this and create a small object with your help in case something need to be setup in unity object for manipulation

Help really appreciate
    regards
    serge

11. r618

r618

It is possible to embed, or rather, reparent Unity executable window to another window, like it is possible with any other Windows application.
    Just obtain the window handle and pass it to the
    Code (csharp):
    1. SetParent
    WinAPI call
    ( it is a good idea in that case to launch the unity executable with -popupwindow parameter )

Note that I've done this with the whole parent window area, so I'm not completely sure whether it's possible to occupy only portion of the window ( by passing, say, HWND of a groupbox / panel to the SetParent ) as is depicted in the topic.

We've done this and although somewhat cumbersome the Unity exe then runs completely embedded in the parent surface/window.
    ( although now that I am thinking about it we should have probably rather launch the exe and implement e.g. fullscreen/resolution logic in the exe itself..... )

The Unity exe has then focus so any changes have to be communicated, if required, to the win/form/wfc process and the only way of doing so is via sockets - everything else is safely buried deep inside this custom mono

indevious likes this.
  12. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

No, at least not with released versions.
    We've tried that, but I think it needed some modifications inside Unity. Don't know, what state that thing is.

13. r618

r618

erm, what exactly does "need" some modifications ?
    The Unity executable window has HWND like any other Windows application => can be reparented / assigned to other window
    ( we run the Unity executable windowed, maybe fullscreen could pose a problem )
    If it wouldn't possible, I wouldn't see our .NET/WinForm app running, calling external Unity program and assigning it into prepared winform - which certainly is not the case :)

btw I'm talking about 'classic' WinAPI, not Metro and such, which I don't know, if that's what you meant
    -- or maybe I'm describing slightly different use case

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  14. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

I meant that for now Unity assumes it's running in it's own window. Reparenting it might work, but stuff like input, joysticks etc. might not function properly. You'll have to test it pretty thoroughly.

15. r618

r618

The scene in our setup is driven by external network data, but the keyboard input definitely works ( we use it to adjust parameters at runtime ) and IIRC mouse too.
    But you are maybe right that this setup might not support all possible controller/s configurations.

Btw for all things concerned - the window in which Unity runs is still the same - only its parent is changed.
    It's not completely 'clean', however : the parent window can still resize / minimize / maximize the content ( the Unity exe ) - although we don't do that in runtime - but it has not focus, for example.
    The startup is a bit quirky, too, but it was sufficiently reliable so far.
    ( it takes some time for Windows to adjust all sizes/contexts etc. and also timing has to be right with proper process/es Wait/Refresh call/s )

-- I'm not writing hypothetically - we use this 'in production' so to speak as part of a bigger desktop application which runs @ several clients now
    but the approach is not ideal - as I wrote earlier - we should probably have had done all resolution/fullscreen stuff in the client unity exe all along and not be dependent on the winform
    nevertheless - it works like this for now

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  16. mgear

mgear

hey!

Patch 4.5.5p1:
    "Windows Standalone: You can now embed windows standalone player into another application, simply pass -parentHWND and windows standalone application's window will be created with specified parent. See Command line arguments documentation for more information."
    http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

17. r618

r618

so much for the "modifications inside Unity." I guess
    haven't tested it yet, but good job -)

18. Grygus

Grygus

Hi, how to make container app pass touch input in to Unity Embedded? Keyboard Input works great.

19. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

It would be pointless, because in 4.6, Unity Windows Standalone isn't capable of processing touch input. That will only be available in 5.0

20. Grygus

Grygus

We are using TouchScript from AssetStore to handle input from Windows for us. So for now there is no option to forward Touch to this plugin or Unity App or some workaround for this?

21. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

In that case, it might work, but you need to know what kind of window messages they're processing, and forward those message to Unity application so TouchScript can catch them.

What about your container application, is it capable of accepting touch input?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  22. WildMaN

WildMaN

Hey, I'm interested in embedding too. We're creating a larger Win8.1 touchscreen-oriented application where games are just one of many features. And utilizing embedded Unity sounds like the most efficient way.

23. Grygus

Grygus

Thanks Tomas I will check this, it seems that Touchscript is opensource. But I wonder where can I get information what messages are processed directly by Unity? In other words what messages can I forward to it. Can I somehow call Unity method without using any other plugins? My Container app is a simple sample from MSDN in WPF with touch handler.

24. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

There's no such information, but in this case, because you care about touch messages, you should check Touchscript plugin for that message list.

Regarding call Unity method, you need to implement interprocess communication or use sockets. Because you basically have two processes here - Container and Unity application.

25. jordiboni

jordiboni

How can I manage keyboard inputs in a Unity embeded version? If I attach this script to a GameObject in your EmbeddedWindow project it doesn't work. I am using standalone build.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. using UnityEngine.UI;
    6. public class ShowKeyPressed : MonoBehaviour {
    8.     private Text text;
    10.     // Use this for initialization
    11.     void Start () {
    12.         text = this.GetComponent<Text>();
    13.     }
    15.     // Update is called once per frame
    16.     void Update () {
    17.         if(Input.GetAxis("Vertical") != 0)
    18.             text.text = "Vertical";
    20.         if(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal") != 0)
    21.             text.text = "Horizontal";
    22.     }
    23. }

26. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

27. jordiboni

jordiboni

What is the diference between source code in your post and source code downloaded from Command line documentation page? It doesn't works with Unity 4.6.

28. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Keyboard wasn't working because WM_ACTIVATE event was not being sent to Unity application, it sent like this "SendMessage(unityHWND, WM_ACTIVATE, WA_ACTIVE, 0);"

29. Giometric

Giometric

I know this is an old topic, but I wanted to add a note about a specific issue I had and how I resolved it. I'm using WPF, and have the Unity game hosted inside a Panel contained in a WindowsFormsHost, which itself is within another Window (so that it only takes up a certain portion). I'm not sure whether it works better in pure Windows Forms, but here it seems like Unity doesn't respond to the message WM_MOUSEACTIVATE (0x21). For my use, this creates an edge case where if you click off the window hosting the Unity game (to, say, click on the main app window which is usually maximized), then back to it, the Unity game will not regain focus. Mouse input still works (regardless of focus state it seems), but keyboard inputs are not captured, so you can end up tabbing or using the arrow keys and other controls on the window will get focused instead.

To fix this, I set up a handler for WindowsFormsHost.MessageHook, which gives you any window messages that go unhandled. The handler just checks to see if the message was WM_MOUSEACTIVATE, and if it is, sends the Unity window a WM_ACTIVATE message (exactly like Tomas1856 posted above). As far as I can tell, everything works correctly after that.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  30. jtsheedy

jtsheedy

Does anyone have a simple example of a unity window inside a winform?
    I am struggling to find one.

31. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

32. indevious

indevious

As an alternative to the window reparenting technique, just inject a DLL into the Unity process and subclass the window.

velayudham likes this.
  33. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Although the supplied demo works fine when running the Unity 5.x project it contains, updating the project to 2019.2.8f1 just causes the Container.exe to crash.

I was looking for a quick and simple alternative to running two instances of a Unity project side-by-side on the desktop, so I've not had a chance to investigate this further and instead used the fallback of running the Unity instances with -popupwindow command flag and positioning the windows.

If anyone happens to know why the demo project crashes when updated past Unity 5.x i'd be interested in the details, otherwise perhaps someone at Unity should have a look at this official example project and see if its fixable.

As an aside I thought I read or saw something recently about Unity supporting embedding the engine in other apps, but nothing comes up in a search?

34. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Seems to work here:

upload_2019-12-3_18-51-23.png

How does it crash for you?

Well you found this thread :). On Windows, there are two ways to do it: using "-parentHwnd" command line argument or by replacing the executable file with your own (the source code for the original executable can by found in "Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windowsstandalonesupport\Source\WindowsPlayer". And these aren't new features: they were added years ago.

Noisecrime likes this.
  35. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Hey, thanks for the prompt reply.

So I did some further digging and found the issue. I had added some additional code to make the Container.exe open fullscreen with no title bar. For some reason this appears to work fine with the 5.2.2 child.exe but not with 2019.2.8 child.exe. I'm going to experiment a bit more and see what I can discover.

Specifically I had tried in Form1.cs after InitializeComponent()

Code (CSharp):
    2. //    this.SuspendLayout();
    3. this.WindowState        = System.Windows.Forms.FormWindowState.Maximized;
    4. this.FormBorderStyle    = System.Windows.Forms.FormBorderStyle.None;
    5. this.TopMost            = true;
    6. //    this.ResumeLayout(false);
    I'm not familiar with Window Forms so this is just cobbled together from sources online and what I saw in Form1.Designer.cs. I didn't try the suspend layout stuff hence it being commented out.

As an aside one aspect I'd be interested to learn about is when opening the original Container.sln project in VS 2017 I got 2 errors. I didn't know how to fix them, but after messing around with the form1.Designer.cs code they went away. I didn't think any more about it, but it would be nice to know the proper way to fix them.

When opening Form1.cs it opens in the designer view with the following

To prevent possible data loss before loading the designer, the following errors must be resolved:

'Could not find type 'Container.SelectablePanel'. Please make sure that the assembly that contains this type is referenced. If this type is a part of your development project, make sure that the project has been successfully built using settings for your current platform or Any CPU.'

'The variable 'panel1' is either undeclared or was never assigned.' Line 48 Form1.cs

I'm not familiar with Windows forms so not sure how to resolve this.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  36. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I'm actually interested to know exactly what those errors are. I opened the project in VS2019 and it built without any errors for me. Perhaps you need to build the project at least once before the designer starts working?

37. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Maybe, i'm afraid its outside of my knowledge.

As for trying to get the Container.exe to run fullscreen I've determined that the code I posted above works fine, but

1. I cannot use the code in the Form1 constructor if I'm also starting the Unity process - always crashes.
    2. I can use the code in Form1 constructor if I do not start the Unity process immediately and instead start Unity via a button click afterwards.
    3. I can use the code via a button click after Form1 constructor has started the Unity Process.

So it seems some form of conflict occurs trying to get container.exe fullscreen and start Unity process at the same time ( so to speak ). Not sure why.

38. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you try setting those parameters before InitializeComponent call?

39. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Yep thats what I tried, doesn't matter if its before or after InitializeComponent, if the code to switch to fullscreen and start Unity process both occur in the Form1 constructor then it will crash. However either setting full screen or starting the unity process in the constructor and then doing the other one via a button click once the app has started works fine. So it looks like a decent workaround will be to just work out how to delay doing the start Unity process.

So i've got it working though I want to clean it up a bit more.

In Form constructor I call
    Code (CSharp):
    1. InitializeComponent();
    2. SetFullscreen();
    then in a Form Shown event I call a method that creates the Unity Process.

I think the order of events or use of form events might be improved. For example Form_Activated event is already used and calls 'ActivateUnityWindow()' but at this point the pointer to the unityHWND is still null. So its just a question of refining it a bit.

EDIT: Further Notes

VS2017 Project Import Error
    The errors I saw when initially opening the sample windows forms project are similar to those when I 'accidentally' commented out a method in Form1 that is called via an event from the Form designer. So i'm guessing the errors I saw were simply some weirdness with the initial importing/updating to VS2017.

EnumChildWindows
    This will take the first child window it finds and assign it to unityHWND. However if you add controls like buttons to the same panel, then one of them could be returned instead. So any panel you want to use as a place holder for a Unity process must not contain any other controls at all.

I discovered this as I needed two show two different instances of different Unity projects running side-by-side. So I used a TableLayoutPanel Container ( 2 cols, 1 row ) and placed a Panel into each cell. For hours I was stuck with only the left panel resizing the Unity content correctly. Eventually I discovered that the right panels unityHWNDreference was incorrect and pointing to one of the several buttons i'd added to that panel for debugging purposes when I wasn't assigning a Unity process to it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  40. Sneh_Raval_DevTeam

Sneh_Raval_DevTeam

I have tried to load Unity build exe from EmbeddedWindow.zip example in my case from Unity build exe I m loading Assetsbulde and on that AB I m facing issues that mouse scroll and right-click are not working the only mouse left click is working, any one has a solution for that?