Search Unity

Unity 3D 4.2 with OSX Mavericks GM

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by twangsta, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Essential

Essential

Since installing Mavericks I'm getting a horrible 2-5 second lag whenever I stop the editor running and immediately open Mission Control (usually to switch to MonoDevelop). Unfortunately I did a silly thing and installed both Mavericks and Unity 4.2.2 at the same time, so I don't know which is the problem. Anyone else experiencing this? It's frustrating as hell :(

2. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Having no issues with Mavericks at all. Using Unity Pro 4.2.1

3. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

Hi all. In Unity 4.3 we have resolved the issue of crashing on debugging on mavericks.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  4. tayl0r

tayl0r

ETA on that release? 1 week? 1 month?

5. chowdy

chowdy

I'm not sure if my problem is related to anybody else's, but autocomplete wasn't working for me since updating to 10.9 and starting a new project.

It turned out, even after reinstalling, deleting the project files, and re-syncing w/ monodevelop from the Unity editor, MonoDevelop had opened my files but was referring to another project's solution.

So in MonoDevelop, I did File > Open > {Current Project Solution File} and now everything works as normal.

I'm not sure if this is related to the other 10.9 issues that folks are seeing, but in searching for a solution I was led here.

6. icreate

icreate

We may wait for a week or so otherwise we have to switch development environment. So knowing when is the 4.3 release will help.

7. aureliocalegari

aureliocalegari

Is it possible to install Unity 4.3 beta? This problem is preventing us from continue the work. Unity never stated in it's installation requirements that Mavericks is not supported! Or can you please release a urgent patch?

8. tsubaki_t1

tsubaki_t1

9. tayl0r

tayl0r

Honestly if you guys are surprised that Unity doesn't work with an OS that just came out, you should learn from this experience. From what I've seen, Unity has a pretty bad track record for working 100% after major Unity or OS updates. If you want a perfect development environment, don't upgrade to the latest Unity or OS right away. This isn't the first time it's happened nor will it be the last.

10. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

If only there was a developer preview for Mavericks that was available for months before the release. Alas.

11. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

i confirm Xamarin Studio 4 works perfectly with Unity 4.2 (OSX 10.9, C#) but crashes only when trying to debug

12. URself

URself

When can we expect Unity 4.3... This MonoDevelop crash after I updated to Mavericks is driving me crazy. I cannot debug at all. Please let me know if there is any other way to debug my code.

13. atmuc

atmuc

use windows :) until 4.3 you can use virtual machine with trial version of windows.

14. jantje

jantje

Or any chance of a 4.2.2f2 or some such with said fix?

15. plasticYoda

plasticYoda

I reported this problem as a bug - I got this response from UnityQA:

Thank you for the bug report.

I was not able to reproduce this issue though. Everything seems to work as expected to me.

Is this still reproducible with the latest Mavericks version? Have you tried reinstalling Unity?

I suggest that anyone having a problem with Unity/Mono Mavericks report a bug until they figure out there is a problem and it needs resolved...

16. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

We found the problem and it's resolved; we don't have a release date for 4.3 yet, however, we are working very hard on it.

17. Thormor

Thormor

Let's hope it's very quick. A huge slow down for development for me :S

18. plasticYoda

plasticYoda

Excellent news - I was able to roll back my OS on the Mac, but I'd like to upgrade be able to use Unity.

19. larryapple

larryapple

I am flabbergasted by this reply from UnityQA. The only explanation I can think of is that they must have a very bare-bones Mac installation, without the other applications and settings that a typical Mac Developer uses.

20. TinyRobot

TinyRobot

Not sure if this is related to other peoples problems but I had to disable Git-support in the Add-In Manager again. Had previously done this in the past to fix a problem with mono running really slowly but for some reason it was back enabled! I also disabled some of the other version controls for good measure.

21. plasticYoda

plasticYoda

I did that too - it made a big difference in performance, but I still had issues with Unity not launching Mono correctly.

22. atmuc

atmuc

is this valid for 4.3 RC1?

23. twangsta

twangsta

Sure 4.3 is a big release. Any chance of a patch for just regular development activities... this is almost work stopping!

Please release a patch if not a full release soon.

24. Thanks for the heads up. I also disabled this some time ago but noticed thanks to your post that is was re-enabled. I guess I'll have to check every time I update Unity. Now MonoDevelop launches quite a bit faster again.

25. aureliocalegari

aureliocalegari

Couldn't agree more. This is a show stopper BUG and a patch should be release straight away... We can wait for the new 4.3 features, but our work cannot wait to resume only when the release is out.

Rolling back the MacOS X would be a pain. Running Windows VM is completely overkilling, not to mention the potential licensing implications.

Unity is a professional tool, and given that I would expect that the information on its web site is correct. If it had a note stating that it does not fully support Mavericks I would never have upgraded to Mavericks.

The requirements exposed here http://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements solely mention Mac OS X "Snow Leopard" 10.6 or later, so I believe it's a misleading and incorrect statement, and is leading many people to a certain amount of loss, as the tool is no longer fully effective.

What about for whoever goes Mac now? Buy a brand new one with Mavericks and install Unity? That's simply crazy!

PLEASE RELEASE THE PATCH!!!

26. Robota

Robota

Same very annoying situation for me here.

Release a patch please!

27. atmuc

atmuc

patch for 4.2 is good idea. on 4.3 there are many changes and not all asset store assets will run correctly on 4.3. to solve debug issue we will install 4.3, this time we will maybe wait for asset store publisher's to release 4.3 compatible assets.

28. atmuc

atmuc

For Flash users; there will be no bug fixes. With unity 4.3 i expect flash problems will increase and unity will not fix them. so i think using 4.2 for flash projects will be better than 4.3. 4.2 should work fine with mavericks.

Unity QA team works great. they consider all bug reports. my latest bug report on 4.3rc1 about debugging with Mavericks is approved. Unity should not try to release 4.3 fast with bugs. i believe fixed 4.2.3 will be better for us.

hopefully i have no problem with my projects using on 4.2 then 4.3 then 4.2. i didn't lose any data.

Edit: Also i don't think this is just the bug of Unity. Mac OS is always backward compatible. so it should have worked with unity 4.2.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  29. srimarc

srimarc

+1 for this fix. Git (+Mercurial and SVN) plugin got turned back on, making MonoDevelop molasses-in-January slow.

MonoDevelop-Unity > Add-In Manager... > Version Control > Turn off Git support, et al. (Then restart MD)

30. BJO

BJO

I want to second aureliocalegari's post. Not having debugger functionality is currently a major issue for our team. The cost of several professional licenses is not trivial, and I hope Unity recognizes the expectations that come from offering a professional product. To summarize; I don't care about new features, but a functional development environment is a must.

Please restore debugger functionality on OS X Mavericks.

31. j1mmie

j1mmie

I would also like to chime in. It would be great if we could get a patch or workaround. Is it possible to explain the problem that was fixed? Perhaps a community member can release a patch? My team and I are really blocked by this bug.

32. aureliocalegari

aureliocalegari

No word from Unity, not even dates... Please, release the patch!

33. sandolkakos

sandolkakos

Just to add more infos to that Thread, I also have upgraded to Mavericks and now my Monodevelop is not working correctly.

1. When I use the "Sync Monodevelop Project", the Monodevelop opens using an another Solution used previously.

2. When I do double-click any Script in the Unity Editor - Project Tab, other Instance of the Monodevelop opens, with only the Script as well as when you do double-click any C# Script in the Finder.

3. When I do double-click a "Debug.Log / Warning / Error" in the Console Tab, the Script is opened in the Second Instance of the Monodevelop, but it is not going to the exact line referent to the Debug.Log, it just opens the script.

4. And, like all you already reported, I also am not able to Debug my code in realtime when I want to do this in Unity Editor, BUT... I am able to Debug my code in realtime when I want to do it using the App installed in my iOS devices.

While the patch not comes, what I did to continue working was install the Xamarin, where the only problem is to Debug the code running in the Unity Editor.

34. dilbertian

dilbertian

35. Essential

Essential

Which problem? A few have been mentioned in this thread. It seems the most serious is the system hanging bug, but there's also the MonoDevelop syncing bug.

If you've been able to resolve the system hanging bug, I encourage issuing a patch ASAP as this is a serious showstopper for a lot of us devs.

36. aureliocalegari

aureliocalegari

That does not make any difference. Can you inspect objects in the debugger? When I inspect object values by hovering variables in the debugger it still crashes. Opening the locals tab in the debugger also crashes unity.

We can run the debugger but we cannot see variable contents. I found that primitive values do not crash unity, but objects do.

37. CodingCake

CodingCake

The same problem.
    I use all method in this thread , when I want to inspect object in Mono Editor .
    if object or variant is not null . It will crash . :(
    this is really not good :(

38. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Hey guys, the only way I have been able to get a sort of debugging working has been by using the Livity plugin from the asset store. It allows you to do live coding right in unity. It's got some quirks and isn't as easy to use as it sounds from the video or asset store description but it works on Mavericks and offers some great features anyways :) It's not free though...

39. aureliocalegari

aureliocalegari

Livity is great, but still does not replace a debugger... We cannot place breakpoints there. That's such a fundamental part that I still missing in Mavericks!

40. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

My experience,

everything working fine (including MonoDevelop), until I hit a bug that needed the debugger. Not only did the bug crash unity, now every time I try to run the project it crashes Unity (with no debugger attached).

Joy.

41. Griautis

Griautis

AI & Physics STE Unity Technologies

As have been said earlier in the thread, crashes on maverick (plus some other issues) will be fixed with 4.3.

Regards,
    Ugnius
    Unity QA Team

42. Robota

Robota

Does it mean that 4.3 will be release soon?
    Is it a matter of weeks?

43. atmuc

atmuc

do you mean 4.2 will not be Mavericks compatible? afaik unity will not fix Flash bugs and with Unity 4.3 Flash bugs will increase because there are many changes on Unity. For who wants to use Flash addon with Mavericks, it will not possible to use and debug it on Mavericks. Also some assets will not be compatible with 4.3. if publishers will not make them compatible with 4.3 we have to use them with 4.2. can you confirm this?

44. AphexHenry

AphexHenry

Please give us an estimation of the release date, so we can know if we should to downgrade to Mountain Lion or wait.

Right now Unity is crashing 20 times a day and I can't use the debugger. If I have to wait more than a week like that I will switch back to ML, whatever the pain it is.

Thank you,
    Baptiste

45. aureliocalegari

aureliocalegari

The point here is: can we have an urgent patch for 4.2.2 in Mavericks as the debugger is broken? You guys didn't provide any ETA for 4.3, and many people out there are having troubles now.

46. AphexHenry

AphexHenry

Why not sending an email to the community so they don't upgrade to Mavericks if they have a project going on?

It could avoid filling this forum with angry fingers.

47. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I've learned long ago to NEVER upgrade your OS while a project is still in development, even if everyone reports no bugs.

I won't even upgrade Unity without a way to revert while a project is ongoing.

Have you looked into the option of rolling back to Mountain Lion?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  48. atmuc

atmuc

good news i can debug and see local variables with 4.3f2 on Mavericks. there is a little problem but there is workaround for this. i still want 4.2.2 fix for debug on Mavericks.

49. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

There is no 4.2 version with this fix planned.

50. AphexHenry

AphexHenry

Great, how can we get this version?