Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3D 4.2 with OSX Mavericks GM

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by twangsta, Oct 6, 2013.

1. twangsta

twangsta

Hi,

I'm a licences user and do I understand Mavericks GM is not out except to developers, and also that I'll be advised to wait till it's officially supported by Unity.

But I'm trying my luck anyways in hope there's a solution to a minor issue I've had with mavericks from day one with unity. I'm currently downloading 4.2.1 and hoping the issue I'm facing might be addressed in this build.

'Got to error/log' from the editor is not working. This is when you double click on a log message and the focus moves to the related file and line in monodevlop.

It would be great to know if anybody has figured out a way to fix this.

Thanks,
    Sid

2. orb

orb

Works for me. Always did. 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 have all behaved the same with Unity.

3. DFG

DFG

Bump - anyone else try unity 4.2 on OSX Mavericks?

4. orb

orb

Looks like I'm the only one :)

5. atmuc

atmuc

i use it. i cannot debug my c# scripts. Unity 4.2.2 and 4.3beta crashes.

6. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Bump - I am excited about the OpenGL 4 support, and want to update. Did anyone try running Unity with the final release of Mavericks? Is all working well?

7. SouthernCoder69

SouthernCoder69

Same question - can we install maverick without problem? I would have assumed unity gang would have been working with the developer preview for weeks now and would have released a update if needed? Any ideas out there?

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have installed OSX Mavericks and it works fine. Although it erased my Application.persistentDataPath for my game. I posted an new post about where I can safely save games. Anyone have any ideas?

9. Yohann1172

Yohann1172

Upgraded to Mavericks today and I am having the same "goto error/log from editor" bug as the OP. I am also not getting all of the code hints in MonoDevelop unless I close the script and reopen it...then all the code hints show up. :/

Can anyone else who has upgraded to Mavericks reproduce theses? Try 'em:

1) Generate any scripting error in the Unity editor console. Double-click the error. It opens the script in MonoDevelop. Does it highlight the offending line like it should?? (mine no longer does).

2) Create a new script in Unity. Open the new script from Unity so it launches into MonoDevelop. Just try to create a Debug.Log statement. Do you get the code hint for "Debug" like normal or does it act like it has no idea what the Debug method is? If no code hint, close the script and reopen, then it seems fully aware of all code hints like normal.

I hope these little things get fixed soon. This will be the last time I upgrade the OS before Unity gives the green light...

10. plasticYoda

plasticYoda

When I double click a script on an object, a new instance of MonoDevelop is now launched (even though there is already an instance running). This new instance never actually starts, and I end up force quitting it. Upgraded to Mavericks today - same as Yohann, that'll teach me to want proper full screen apps on two monitors....

Update: Turned out I didn't have Unity 4.2.2 installed on this computer. Upgraded Unity and I no longer see two instances of MonoDevelop, however like the other posters, MonoDevelop no longer highlights the line with the error when I double click the error message in the Editor.

Issue 2 in the above post also occurs for me.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  11. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

I have updated, I am not noticing any issues. Tested Debog.Log(), which when double clicked, opens MonoDevelop at the correct line. Works the same with error messages in the console. No issues here. (Yay)

12. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I'm on 10.6.8 but somehow the download from the AppStore won't start. :(

Good to hear it will probably work in case I even get it do download, though.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Don't forget to transfer your license just in case prior to installing a new OS. Not sure it would but it could save a day of support.

14. MSFX

MSFX

going to take the plunge later today, will post back with issues if I have any *fingers crossed*

15. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

If something is not working as it should in Unity on Mavericks please submit a bug for it.

16. Mark-Sweeney

Mark-Sweeney

I did a clean install of Mavericks, and I used Migration Assistant to transfer everything over.

Unity3D 4.2.2 opened fine, but Monodevelop had problems. It would launch, and immediately quit.

I deleted the entire Unity folder in Applications, then re-installed it. Monodevelop works fine after the re-install.

I put a deliberate bug in the code, then double clicked the warning I got in Unity, and it took me to the proper line in Monodevelop.

So far, so good.

17. atmuc

atmuc

can you debug and see locals (variable values)?

18. Mark-Sweeney

Mark-Sweeney

Debug.Log shows up in Unity, I can see local variables their values in the inspector.

19. atmuc

atmuc

by debugging i mean c# code debugging on monodevelop using these steps. on monodevelop Run/Attach To Process/Unity then play on Unity and at debug point check Locals tab on Monodevelop. my unity 4.2.2 crashes using these steps. Before Mavericks i had no problem with debugging.

Mavericks is released as free. i hope unity solve this problem soon.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  20. chmodseven

chmodseven

Since installing Mavericks, I have been having problems with Mono opening the last loaded solution when I double-click on my script in Unity to edit it. Problem is, I iterate my development backups (by copying the entire project folder and then opening the scene again in the new path) as a poor-man's method of source control. This has always worked in the past, but now since yesterday if I open a file in say my iteration41 path, it will load that file into Mono but against the prior iteration40 solution. So before I spotted that, building would compile the old solution and leave me wondering why my code changes for the edited script weren't showing up back in the player. I doubt if this bug will affect source controlled code where the path doesn't change, but I'd imagine it could be a potential problem for multiple projects.

Have already raised a bug report on this with more detail, but be interesting to know if anyone has seen similar behaviour.

21. Ferazel

Ferazel

Hi one of our dev machines was upgraded to Mavericks and it is producing an IsolatedStorage exception when trying to access the Application.persistentDataPath. We caught the exception and it appears to allow us to create the file in the same spot. So false alarm.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  22. mbzdmvp

mbzdmvp

Tried this ^ and still getting issues with Monodevelop (code completion and debugging).

Hopefully an update will be released soon, its extremely frustrating to write GUI code without auto-complete.

23. SouthernCoder69

SouthernCoder69

I'm genuinely confused - how was this not addressed prior to release? Was the Unity team's developer preview of mavericks working perfectly?

24. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

I'm not surprised people are having MonoDevelop issues. That thing barely works on any version of OSX.

25. orb

orb

That thing barely works. Every issue you have with it is what you'd wish to have if you've ever used the Windows version ;)

It's funny how many people seem to have a consistent and different set of bugs with MonoDevelop, though. My major issue is code completion that ceases to work.

26. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

If you're not using UnityScript or Boo, Xamarin Studio is basically just the rebranded name of MonoDevelop 4 and it's solved most of my issues. I moved over to it when I was testing Mavericks on my MacBook Pro and it's been a lifesaver. It's also actually performant for once.

27. SteveJ

SteveJ

I've never been able to C# code completion to work in Xamarin for Unity. Do you just live without it, or have you got it working somehow?

28. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Did you remember to do this:

29. SteveJ

SteveJ

I've never seen or used that option :)

30. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Use that option, it's a godsend.

31. chargedneuron

chargedneuron

Thank you!!! Fixed my issues so far.

32. SteveJ

SteveJ

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out tonight!

33. mbzdmvp

mbzdmvp

Just finished downloading and installing Xamarin Studio (quite the bundle) and it looks and works great. Searched the forums for alternatives earlier so I'm surprised no one mentioned it. Thanks for the info!

Link for those interested: http://xamarin.com/download

Edit: Shortcuts for formatting and commenting code!!! Miles ahead of MonoDevelop already :D

34. twangsta

twangsta

Oh that's great news... just saw 4.2.2... I'll update and confirm is these issues are resolved for me as well.

@atmuc.. I haven't been able to use the debugger in Mavericks thus far... here's hoping this build will fix it.

Fingers crossed XX

35. twangsta

twangsta

You give me hope MarigoldFleur!

36. jantje

jantje

The same thing is happening to me, atmuc. With both 4.2.1 and 4.2.2. Unity editor crashes hitting any breakpoint when Monodevelop is attached to it in Mavericks / OSX 10.9. Same exact content debugged fine earlier in the day before upgrading mac to Mavericks. My code is UnityScript, not C#.

37. plasticYoda

plasticYoda

Just installed Xamarin Studio, set my Unity external editor prefs and used the Sync Project button - now everything seems much better. I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.

How do you debug using Xamarin? The old toolbar is gone and I can't find a way to attach to the editor...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  38. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Weird, there was a debugging add-in in either the alpha or beta channel a while ago, but it seems to be gone now...

39. mbarney_twistory

mbarney_twistory

Guess I'll have to check out Xamarin Studio as this Mono develop issue is slowing me down from working.

40. uistudios

uistudios

Yes I am having the same problem ... Mono is not working... maybe we need to delete Unity app and reinstall it? i shall try that next will report if it fixes the Mono issue...

Oy! I tried reInstalling Unity 4.2.2 and it did not fix the MonoDevelop Issues ... :( Hoping there will be a Maverick MonoDevelop Patch coming out from Unity! cause they are awesome at fixing these type of problems!!!!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  41. atmuc

atmuc

have you found attach to process or a workaround for this?

42. adslitw

adslitw

Another vote for using Xamarin Studio - I swtiched from Monodevelop about 6 months ago and I haven't looked back.

43. atmuc

atmuc

What version do you use? can you see Attach To Process to debug?

44. adslitw

adslitw

Away from my my dev machine so I can't check, but I installed an auto-update recently so I guess I'm on the latest release. I don't know about the 'Attach to Process' I'm afraid, I'm very inefficient and just use Debug.Log()!

45. atmuc

atmuc

46. Thormor

Thormor

Tried to install the Monodevelop 4 thing... with no avail. I did not understand how :S (I am not a pro with how OS X works...)

47. jantje

jantje

atmuc, did you get that to work? If so, which version of things did you use? I read through it and there are a number of in-development versions listed. Also, I'm wondering if they might have the same issues with Mavericks as MonoDevelop 2.8.2 and Unity are having.

48. atmuc

atmuc

i couldn't. i try to find someone successful :)

49. atmuc

atmuc

so far i did;

installed xamarin studio. updated it to 4.0.13 from stable channel.
    in addin-manager/galery/repository/manage repository/ i checked alpha channel.if you see a refresh button click it.
    Select All Repositories
    install Unity/Mono Soft Debugger Support For Unity.

i can see Run Attach Process.

i they wrote in the link i gave play unity before attach process.

unity crashes when try to see locals.i think it is related with Mavericks and Unity compatibility.

50. jantje

jantje

Thanks. I wonder if this will work for UnityScript, or if it is only C#.

Also, thanks to something you mentioned in a previous post, I realize that it is showing the local/watch variables that is crashing Unity, and not simply the breakpoint. That's (a little bit) better than nothing!!! I just have to make sure the Locals or Watch tabs aren't open. I guess we'll have to wait for a fix from Unity.