Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by profcwalker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. mikesgameworld

mikesgameworld

I am using version 5.3.5 and there is an error occurring saying "
    NotSupportedException: rigidbody property has been deprecated
    UnityEngine.GameObject.get_rigidbody () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEngineGameObject_Deprecated.cs:23)
    (wrapper dynamic-method) UnityEngine.GameObject.GameObject$get_rigidbody$ (object,object[]) <IL 0x00006, 0x0007e>
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetProperty (object,string) <IL 0x00043, 0x001c2>
    UnityScript.Lang.UnityRuntimeServices.GetProperty (object,string) <IL 0x00017, 0x00111>
    playerProperties.Update () (at Assets/2D Mario Assets/Scripts/playerProperties.js:48)
    ". What should I do?

2. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi mikesgameworld,

Great question. When it comes to the rigidbody and several other shortcut calls, you'll want to use a GetComponent to access it.

Rigidbody rb = this.GetComponent<Rigidbody>(); // c#
    var rb = this.GetComponent.<Rigidbody>(); // unityscript

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Also, you can email me directly for a quicker response. :) Thank you!

3. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Michele,

Sorry for the late response.
    For the 3d side, you are more than welcome to use Blender and/or any other 3d package that you like. :)

For the time component, you'll want to be sure that we can press the keys (0-9) to control each of the functions (methods) that change the behavior of the time.
    The extra credit is setup so that you can finish off the time component to be fully functional by method calls.

Let me know if you have further questions. And you can always email me for a quicker response. Thank you!

4. furfur001

furfur001

Hi Peeps.

I just started the course, and I would like to present my first Lab project.

please follow the below link to where I uploaded it.

https://furfur001.itch.io/clicknclick

Thank you for the videos, they where great.

Regards

Christo.

5. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi furfur001,

Excellent job! Solid write-up and additional comments. Nice work adding in the extra credit and additional elements. I played through both the win/lose and everything worked. :) Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing your next project.
    Let us know if you have any questions along the way. Thank you!

6. furfur001

furfur001

Hi , me again.

I just completed the second project, and I would like to present it.

please follow the below link to where I uploaded it.
    it takes a bit long to load in the web player, so I added the EXE for download at the botom of the page.
    https://furfur001.itch.io/2d-space-shooter

Regards

Christo.

7. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Christo,

Just sent you a pm. Thank you!

8. billcousert

billcousert

I noticed the first message in this thread was posted in 2011. Has the course been updated to Unity 5, free or paid? Does it matter much?

9. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi billcousert,

For the current course, it's based around the 3.x-4.x versions of Unity. We still have many individuals going through the course successfully with Unity 5.x. (either version). The main two things that have changed in Unity, are their api and interface. We are waiting till after 5.5 release to record updates and new content. Hopefully they will have things more locked down then for recording. :)

Let me know if you have further questions. Thank you!

billcousert likes this.
  10. kairos112

kairos112

Hey, I am doing your courses right now, I don't get the enum on javascript tutoring. It pops up message syntax error and unexpected token on unity even thou i did everything right.

Edit: When i put something like

var AICurrentstate : AIstate;
    var AICurrentstate = AIstate.Idling;
    it popup an error said "there is already a local variable with the name 'AlCurrentstate'", but in the video, the instructor did it just fine.
    Change the AlCurrentstate name fix the problem, but i don't know if it work that way, and it seem the red highlight under enum "syntax error" doesn't effect anything

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  11. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi kairos112,

Just sent you a pm on it. Thank you!

12. jireton

jireton

13. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi jireton,
    Great question. The files are available through our website on each portion.
    You can them here: http://www.walkerboystudio.com/wbstudio/learn-unity/
    On each project page, there is a button for downloading the unity project files.
    Let me know if you need further assistance with it. Thank you!

jireton likes this.
  14. vincentpeterwhyte

vincentpeterwhyte

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  15. profcwalker

profcwalker

Awesome job Vincent! Great work on the game; and solid work on the write-up, keeping track of your time and observations throughout. I look forward to seeing your next project. Let us know if you have any questions along the way. Thank you!

16. ooohnooo

ooohnooo

Video 7 not working.

17. profcwalker

profcwalker

@oohnooo: Thank you. I checked and it appears to still be working. Might be the location your from? Let me know if you have any issues with the others as well. Thank you!

18. vincentpeterwhyte

vincentpeterwhyte

19. profcwalker

profcwalker

Just played it. ;) Great job with getting everything in there and working through the levels. The 'extras' made for nice polish and provided a fun element of replay-ability. Keep up the good work! Thank you. :)

20. vincentpeterwhyte

vincentpeterwhyte

21. profcwalker

profcwalker

Awesome job! Excellent work putting together the timer and setting everything up. :) Thank you for the updates and continuing to push forward with your learning! We look forward to seeing your next project. :)

22. vincentpeterwhyte

vincentpeterwhyte

23. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Vincent! Just read through the write-up and played through project 4 (2d Mario). Amazing work :) The gameplay is solid, transition screens work great, and the levels were very enjoyable. Nice job! Also, the only thing I noticed on it was when I feel off an edge it took me back to the right spawn point, but didn't reduce the player life (The enemies do). :)
    Keep up the great work!

24. dailong

dailong

Hi, @profcwalker
    Can you give me a link for your game design document in project 4 mario?

25. profcwalker

profcwalker

Yes, here's the lab doc on it. :)

Attached Files:

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, is this still about Unity 3?

27. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi APSchmidt,
    Yes, it's in the Unity 3-5 range for best use case. :) If you're comfortable with coding, then you can jump in to a later version and use it as a guide for game development understanding and concepts. I hope that helps. Thank you!

PoseidonRain likes this.
  28. Charlio86

Charlio86

Dear WalkerBoys Team,

First of all, thanks so much for your lessons! Are really useful! I would like to ask you, if there's some updated learning projects for recent versions of Unity, for example, an updated Mario Bros Platformer Project in C# with Unity current tools.

Thanks!;)

PoseidonRain likes this.
  29. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Charlio86! It's great to hear that you're finding the resources useful for learning. Thank you :)
    I believe this set of files will work with the Mario Bros c# and the full project. I haven't tested it in a while, but if you're using the same Unity build, things should work nicely. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

Charlio86 likes this.
  30. Charlio86

Charlio86

Dear @profcwalker thanks so much for the response and for the files! I'll take a look, I'm sure it'll be really helpful for me and all other members in the forum!
    Again, thanks for all your work,

Sincerely

Carlos

31. profcwalker

profcwalker

I am happy to help. :) Thank you!

Charlio86 likes this.
  32. Charlio86

Charlio86

Dear @profcwalker ,

I have some more questions that I hope can help me.
    I wanted to add some really cool VFX effects to Mario's project. With the Unity PostProcessing packages (specifically with Bloom activated) they look amazing.
    I wanted to export my project to a WebGL. The thing is that when I am testing the game in the browser by WebGL, everything works great, but the effects are not seen.
    I have read something about VFX shaders not working with WebGL. Is this true? Can you give me information about it, please?
    The information I find is not entirely clear ...
    Thank you!!

33. profcwalker

profcwalker

Great question. I haven't tested them on the WebGL. It does sound like that from other discussions. Below it from Unity and what they say on it. Hope that helps. Thank you!

Unity speaks on it here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/webgl-graphics.html

Main part below:
    WebGL Shader code restrictions
    The WebGL 1.0 specification imposes some limitations on GLSLS shader code, which are more restrictive than many OpenGL ES 2.0 implementations. This is mostly relevant when you write your own shaders
    Specifically, WebGL has restriction on which values can be used to index arrays or matrices: WebGL only allows dynamic indexing with constant expressions, loop indices or a combination. The only exception is for uniform access in vertex shaders, which can be indexed using any expression.

Also, restrictions apply on control structures. The only type of loops which are allowed are counting for loops, where the initializer initializes a variable to a constant, the update adds a constant to or subtracts a constant from the variable, and the continuation test compares the variable to a constant. for loops which don’t match those criteria and while loops are not allowed.

Charlio86 likes this.
  34. Charlio86

Charlio86

Thanks so much for the response @profcwalker !
    I'll take a look, hope we can find a solution for this!

Best regards