Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by profcwalker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. TakMarche

TakMarche

There are many free models you can use at http://www.turbosquid.com/ :)

2. AliumOnions

AliumOnions

Hello,

After getting thoroughly distracted by other things in real life (like camping, summer vacation, and work) I've finally managed to finish and post up Lab #1. It's not the most amazing version of it and there are still things I'd like to fix, but it gets the job done and I'm ready to move on to the next lab.

Lab #1 link: http://www.brittwebprojects.com/#post-80

Please let me know if you have any feedback for me! I'm still very new to Unity3D so there's a lot for me to learn.

And thanks for the great tutorials, Walker Boys!

3. daytripper1989

daytripper1989

Hi,

first of all I would like to thank you for the great tutorials. They are very useful and value adding. I am so excited to follow all your labs. It's a very interesting way to learn. I made Lab 1 already and starting in the second. My website is on the link below.

My Website!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  4. nicklorion

nicklorion

Hi there,

I finally got wordpress up and running and ready to share my progress through the tutorials.
    Unfortunatly i lost the project folder for Lab 1 so I'll be redoing that one soon.
    But just for now here is the link to Lab 2: Lab 2: 2D Space Shooter
    the posts are password protected and the password is: walkerboys

Kind Regards and keep up the good work,
    B. Koster

5. TakMarche

TakMarche

6. jaspervanDGG

jaspervanDGG

okay,
    this is the most awsome tutorial serie ever.
    i am not very familiar with english (i am dutch) but i can get everything and i will have a lot of help with it!!

7. Drewg0n

Drewg0n

Thank you so much for posting these videos. I'm a new Unity3D user, and after hearing that Nintendo's Wii U is opening access to Unity3D, I am super stoked to dive in and learn this. Thank you, again! =)

8. GameStar18

GameStar18

@ TakMarche: Hey, thanks again for the reference Tak, they do have a lot of great free 3D Models there.

@ ThatWhiteFox: Oh yeah for sure I just saw that too. That really is great news for a lot of developers. Getting a license for it though is going to be super tough. Luckily for the people who already managed to get one for Wii, it looks like they will already qualify.

I finally finished my lab 4 2D Mario Clone! This one took a lot longer than the previous and I had quite the experience with it, that's for sure. I appreciate any feedback. I worked very hard on it. Unfortunately it keeps disappearing from my server no matter how I uploaded it on there so I had to provide a download link on my mediafire account. It's on this link: here

Homepage

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  9. magarcan

magarcan

Hello.
    I'm following the course, and I'm on this step:
    2 ------ Unity Application, Tools, UI, Workflow (Videos 1 - 60) ------ 02:43:42

My last video was unity app 1 18 interface main gameObject, and the next is unity app 1 30 interface main terrain. Do any of you know what have happened with 1x19, 1x20,..., 1x29 videos?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  10. stenol

stenol

11. TakMarche

TakMarche

You can view all of the videos grouped into albums here http://vimeo.com/walkerboys/albums
    But since your working with the Unity App. go here http://vimeo.com/album/1482223

Keep in mind though the videos go out of order like that the name / titles are different. As long as your following the order of which they are posted you will be all set!

12. mmmodel

mmmodel

Guys, i'm really starting with javascript and i can't do the power up for extra life and the double shot, maybe anyone know where i can found some tips for the lab 2 pleaseeeeee? =))

13. Dothackking

Dothackking

Unity yells at me in video 2 04 (Variable assigning and print function) when I try to print an "object" followed by an int. Not that it really matters. It also doesn't allow me to declare boxNumber without a var in front of it. This isn't my first language, and I would never really use that kind of function, just thought I'd give you a heads up.

14. extremevertigo

extremevertigo

Thank you so much for posting this. I was about to lose my mind trying to figure out what i did wrong. Ya FixedUpdate () worked for me as well.

15. GameStar18

GameStar18

I have completed the final lab project and am all done now. Here is the project description and download link. Recommended for people to have gotten to lab 5 before playing as the control scheme we are given can take a little while to get used to, at least that's what I feel. A controller is recommended. Feedback is appreciated! Lots of big future Unity plans to come :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  16. Android Matt

Android Matt

Here's my effort at the second project. This project took longer than the last one because I decided that I needed to learn 3D modelling so that I could create my own game assets (so far I've gone through most of the beginner tutorials on the Blender website, highly recommended!). I'm also brushing up (pun intended) on my regular art skills (or lack of) and digital art so that I can populate my games with basic assets much quicker.

The pic below is a small section of the main menu (ignore the spelling mistake ;)). The font is Radiofb/Radiospace. I modelled the spaceship/asteroids in Blender, and created the textures from scratch in GIMP. I totally overdid the bump mapping on both though, they look almost wrinkly! The spaceship is animated to look like it is flying (but stationary relative to the screen) and the asteroids are animated to fly from left to right into the distance. I used a large plane and collision detection to determine when the asteroids were off-screen and reset their position...in retrospect I could have done that within the animation, but I was just using the same method that I used in game, so my brain was probably half switched off. :)

(note: I can't find the original owner of the background image for the main menu, so I cannot provide a full screenshot. I won't upload a web player until I find the original artist or I get round to replacing it with one of my own images. I only want to show the menu text, spaceship and asteroid here.):

Ship selection page (3 ships with varying appropriate handling, weapons, shields etc). The background was used with kind permission from Archang3lzz on Deviantart (link). I altered the hue to match the colour scheme of the game:

The next four pictures are in-game shots (uses same background as above), the spaceships are lower poly versions of the one created for the main page. The large spaceship has turrets that track the nearest asteroid in 3D. The asteroids actually have a lower poly count than the default sphere object, so I've learnt some valuable lessons about low-poly modelling! The explosions are from the explosion framework plug-in provided on the Unity website.

Medium spaceship:

Large spaceship:

Alright, next tutorial! Hopefully I'll finish this one a little quicker.;) That said, I would highly recommend spending a lot longer on each tutorial. I've learnt a lot of stuff that I know I would have done wrong on my first serious project. Get those mistakes out of the way now I say!:cool:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  17. reaper2259

reaper2259

that looks amazing Android Matt, well done.

i have just finished lab 1 and have learned alot already so i would just like to say thank you walker boys for the great tutorials

18. apostolosapok

apostolosapok

Thanks for those great tutorials.

19. apomarinov1

apomarinov1

Hey everyone, I`ve been trying for days to get my website in 000webhost up and post lab1, but the website I created would not load, and I can't connect to the ftp, even when i succeed and upload the web build, I can't load the website. Anyone else having trouble like this?

20. Greenlaw

Greenlaw

Hey Guys,
    First thanks a lot for these amazing tutorials. The step by step are very well designed to learn Unity from scratch!
    I'm now starting the Mario Clone 2D and i'm facing a problem:
    - When i drag and drop the assets into my project view everything is correctly added.
    - But the problem is that every GameObject lost the connection with their prefabs.
    - Prefabs lost connection with the texture, mesh renderer, audio, Mesh filter .....

So tu use the scene and follow the tutorial i need to map all the assets together. It's very long doing it for each part of the tutorial.
    I'm using Unity3D 3.5.5f3

Do you encounter the same issue or a did something wrong ?

If someone can help me, it will be very appreciated.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

21. profcwalker

profcwalker

@Amnysia: It's good to hear the projects are working well for you. When it comes to setting it up, be sure to just open the project up directly from the open project option. (Dragging files in to other projects usually separates them.).

@Everyone: Projects are looking excellent! Thank you all for continuing to work hard and for helping one another along. :) Keep up the great work.

22. ciberxtrem

ciberxtrem

Hi, and thanks again for the tutorials :)

This is the second Lab.
    To play click here

I've been experimenting with the twitter api, every few miliseconds I get a new twet and create an asteroid with the name of the twet user and its comment that will appear when the asteroid is destroyed by the player.

This time you pilot a car with wings and helped with some propulsion to fly around the outer space and destroy twets in the form of asteroids :)

To play enter the name of the twets you want to see and start destroying asteroids to see the message of every tweet :)

There're two kinds of powerups:
    * Super-shot pill: By pressing "Q" button you will be able to fire eight fire bullets.
    * Extra time: As of the second 30 approx extra time powerups will start appearing and will let you add a few more seconds.

The difficulty is adaptative, the faster you kill asteroids the more tweets per second will be appearing and the more points you'll be able to sum up.

Note: The ranking at the end of the level is currently not working once I've uploaded the game in the same server as the database, I'll make some more tests to solve it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  23. Greenlaw

Greenlaw

@profcwalker

Thanks alot for your tips :)
    A beginner mistake from my part :)

Continue making great job like that ! You'r tutorial really rox !

24. Cyrus_Zei

Cyrus_Zei

This is what I need, perfect!!

25. dgcash

dgcash

I am working through the first lab right now and just got to the part where they say to add the audio explosion files. The instructor adds audio explosions to the project but doesn't let us know where the files came from. Are we responsible for finding our own audio files or is their an assets package that we can download that goes along with the walkerboys unity course?

Thanks

Dan

26. freakdave

freakdave

@dgcash

You have to provide your own audio files in lab1 and lab2.
    There's a tool to generate the sound effects though, just do a google search for 'sfxr - sound effect generator'

BTW:
    Thank you Walker Boys for your brilliant tutorials, i am at lab 4 now and i'm having lots of fun with it :)

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  27. apomarinov1

apomarinov1

Hi everyone, it`s been almost a month since I started working on Lab2 and I`ve taken it a loong way I think. It is almost ready I just have to design the levels so it`s not too difficult or easy to play. As I mentioned(page 51, bottom) I had problems with 000webhosting, so I would appreciate it if someone could suggest a different way to show my lab projects, thanks!

And a GIANT thank you to the walker boys :)

28. dgcash

dgcash

Thank you

29. Barachiel

Barachiel

Hi all.

I'm going to sound exceedingly stupid with this question, but I'm rather stuck on this.

I only started this course about three days ago and I'm currently just messing with Javascript while following the videos.
    During number 2-16, it's discussing functions and at one point writes up something like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. function Counter (num)
    2. {
    3.     for (x = 0; x < num; x++)
    4.     {
    5.         print (x);
    6.     }
    If I save my script with this, however, it returns this error:

Code (csharp):
    1. Operator '<' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'int' and a right hand side of type 'Object'.
    Now, I can take the for loop function out and just ask it to print 'num' and that works fine.
    I also need to declare x as a variable the first time I use it or it returns another error, but I can work around that.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, as I've spent some time trying to figure this out. Thanks. =)

30. SER 10

SER 10

hi Barachiel, try this:

31. Barachiel

Barachiel

Ahh, that was just what I needed. Thank you very much. =)
    Do you know if Javascript has changed in the last two years in such a way to require this, or is it something to do with MonoDevelop?

32. SER 10

SER 10

This is UnityScript, some JavaScript.... , you must indicate the variable type if you use #pragma stric

33. Cloudy

Cloudy

Thank you so much Profcwalker! You have made me so excited to go and get into this! Thank you an awfully large amount! Looking at how thorough your work seems to be and how well received it is I am certain that with your help I will be able to do exactly what I want to. :3

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  34. jonesy

jonesy

I'm working through the scripting tutorial videos, and I feel like knowing the applications for different things would really help me understand them. Can anybody give me a real-life example of how switch/case would be used? Why would I prefer it over if? (It seems like pretty much the same thing. but with more typing, to me...)

35. Barachiel

Barachiel

Well it's sort of like a whole bunch of 'if' statements with only one 'else' statement at the end, and it skips the rest of them as soon as it finds one that's true.
    If you did a bunch of 'if' statements instead, it would run every one of them that met the requirements, as well as returning a seperate 'else' statement for every one that wasn't met.

36. jonesy

jonesy

Ah. Well that does make sense. Clearly I need to review that video, since I completely failed to catch on to that.

Thanks. :)

37. SoIAS

SoIAS

Thank you for all your work :)

38. Kale

Kale

Eh... isn't it more of an equivalent of a bunch of If...else statements?

I think a switch statement, is cleaner when you use it and it can only be with one variable (afaik anyway), whereas a bunch of if else can handle multiple is extremely long, and much harder to read.

39. GSZ

GSZ

Anybody able to help me with writing my Javascript in the default unity editor that Chad uses in the Javascript video lessons? When I opt to create a new Javascript and attempt to edit it, MonoDevelop opens and there seems to be quite a few differences in how the coding works when compared to the default editor used in the videos. Thanks for any help anybody is able to offer on this.

40. tra2002

tra2002

MonoDevelop is actually the better choice to use and there is not that big of a difference in using it and the one from their videos. All the same concepts are used and it all runs the same no matter which ide you use. The videos are a little older now and changes have taken place in Unity since the videos but they still work fine just over look that you are using a different ide then what is shown in the videos.

41. GSZ

GSZ

Thanks for the reply tra2002. After messing around with it for a few hours today, I was actually able to get things working as desired with MonoDevelop.

One more question regarding the api videos in the course - are we supposed to work through those before Lap Project 1, or sometime after? I don't see any reference to these videos anywhere in the syllabus. Thanks for anybody able to provide insight on this.

42. tra2002

tra2002

if you go here and scroll down it has the list of all available videos and the order you can work through them to make yourself more familiar with it all.
    http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_training___free__.html

43. GSZ

GSZ

I'm working through Lab 1 and I keep getting an error after working through video 5-06. I follow the changes made by Chad exactly and end up with an error code reading:

NullReferenceException : Object reference not set to an instance of an object

The error occurs after I enter the code towards the bottom of my Player Script:

var enemyScript = hit.transform.GetComponent(scriptEnemy);
    enemyScript.numberofClicks -=1;

Anybody have any idea how to fix this? I don't understand why I'm getting this error, yet Chad doesn't in the videos. Thanks for any help anybody is able to provide.

Code (csharp):
    2. //Player Script
    4. //Inspector Variables
    5. var tagName     : String;               //allow the designer to setup a tag in the inspector
    6. var rayDistance     : float = 0;            // length of the ray for our raycast
    8. //Private Variables
    10. // update is called every frame
    11. function Update ()
    12. {
    13.     //use the mouse button to select on GameObject in the scene
    14.     if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0))
    15.     {
    16.         var hit : RaycastHit;
    17.         var ray : Ray = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay(Input.mousePosition);
    18.         // casts a ray against all colliders in the scene
    19.         if(Physics.Raycast(ray, hit, rayDistance))
    20.         {
    21.             if (hit.transform.tag == tagName)
    22.             {
    23.                 //var position = Vector3 (Random.Range(-6.1,6.1), Random.Range(-4.4, 4.4), 0);  //new random position for game object
    24.                 //hit.transform.position = position;    //move the gameObject to new location
    25.                 var enemyScript = hit.transform.GetComponent(scriptEnemy);
    26.                 enemyScript.numberofClicks -=1;
    27.             }
    28.             else
    29.             {
    30.                 print ("This is not an enemy!");
    31.             }
    33.         }
    34.     }
    36. }

44. GSZ

GSZ

Ok, so after rereading through my code / searching for answers for 6-8 hours I finally figured out what the problem was:

enemyScript.numberofClicks -=1;

The letter 'o' in the word 'of' needed to be capitalized....

Pretty wild that an error so miniscule can set somebody back so long a period of time. I'll chalk it up as a great learning experience for myself and leave the above post up incase somebody else runs into the issue in the future!

45. Niki.j

Niki.j

Hello all,

i am pretty new in unity and very bad with the interactive applications in unity.
    and now i have to create a grid based game and i don't know how to create a grid in unity3d.
    anything like pseudo cod or the algorithm will be very much grateful for me.
    and anything will ve very much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
    Niki.j

46. shaderop

shaderop

I think posting the same question four times is quite enough already.

47. Barachiel

Barachiel

Well, it didn't take me long to come back with another seemingly simple problem.

I'm currently on the Unity Api section, part 1-11 (accessing gameObjects through hierarchy).
    Following the instructions in this video, I've created a second capsule and applied the rigidbody component to it, as well as using the script to add force to it (on the y axis).
    In the video, he hits play and the capsule falls off screen due to gravity. Mine does not.
    It doesn't seem to matter what I do to it, none of the rigidbody properties seem to have any effect on the capsule at all, including what I tell it through script.

EDIT: On closer inspection, it moves down the y axis by 0.003924, then stops. I have no clue what's going on.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  48. Kale

Kale

Restart it. and see if it's different, probably missed a step or something.

49. Barachiel

Barachiel

Finally figured it out. For no particular reason that I am aware of, timescale was at 0. Of course, the capsule shouldn't have moved even the tiny amount it did, but oh well. Problem solved. =)

50. apomarinov1

apomarinov1

Hey, I`m on lab 4 and have a question. So this is from the itemPickup.js script
    Code (csharp):
    1. function ApplyPickup(playerStatus : playerProperties)
    2. {
    3.     var hudConnect = hudGameObject.GetComponent("hudController");
    5.     switch(pickupType)
    6.     {
    7.         case PickupType.Grow:
    8.             if(playerStatus.playerState != PlayerState.MarioFire)
    9.             {
    10.                 playerStatus.playerState = PlayerState.MarioLarge;
    11.                 playerStatus.changeMario = true;
    12.             }
    13.             break;
    14.                ........
    My question is how in the world is PlayerState(the struct defined in playerProperties.js) recognized in this script?

Edit: And another one :)
    This is the box collider I assume added to the sprite and is used with the rigidbody so the mushroom, lets say, stays in the world.

And this is a cube which is a child to the mushroom, with its renderer turned off, to use as a trigger.

If I got it right from the API, the colliders send OnCollisionXXXX messages, and if the "Is Trigger" is true on the collider they send OnTriggerXXXX messages.
    What I couldn`t understand is how the OnTriggerEnter is sent to the ItemPickup.js(in prefab_pickup_mushroomLife) when the box collider of the sprite is not a trigger? Even if I disable completely the mushroomCollider object, everything still works? So why is there the need of the mushroomCollider?

Happy Holidays everyone :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012