Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by profcwalker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. einfopedia

einfopedia

these tutorials are helpful for everyman.i think a man who wants to create a game must read these tutorials which are very helpful for them.

2. Panajev

Panajev

I appreciate the breadth of the arguments covered and the clear comments in the code and in the video as the various topics are covered. Easy to follow and engaging :).

3. Jablestein

Jablestein

Hey all,

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here or not but I'm attempting to get started with the tutorials but the numbering/order either seems completely messed up or there are various videos missing. For example, the videos go from unity app 1 18 talking about the Game Objects Interface, to unity app 1 30 discussing the terrain interface. There seems to be some continuity issues here. I just want to make sure i'm not missing any content.

-Thanks!

4. ChrisAllen

ChrisAllen

5. Jablestein

Jablestein

Oh wow, that's MUCH clearer! Thanks so much!

6. Jason Song

Jason Song

Thank you very much
    You let me find a bright road:D
    I like you
    Thank you
    謝謝:D

7. SevenOTwo

SevenOTwo

While the structure and curriculum is very nice, we need tutorials like these geared toward mac users as well. 3D StudioMax is for PC only. How about Cinema4D??

8. Melt

Melt

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  9. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

10. bandingyue

bandingyue

thank you .

these will help a lot.

11. TrevorB

TrevorB

Hello,

I would just like to express my thanks for creating all of these tutorials. I have been working on them for over a week now. I'm a couple videos away from taking the first exam. I look forward to learning more! Start warming up the printer because another certificate is going to be printing soon!

Thanks again,

Trevor

12. manituan

manituan

Adrian Anta

Timeframe: 5 days.

Project Detail -
    I downloaded the 3d models and the sound from the internet. At first there was a music track behind the whole game, but I removed it because of the weight.

Software Used - Unity3d

Final Thoughts -
    I had a lot of problems with the function WaitForSeconds() and the stuff that involve times.

http://adriananta.comuf.com/Helicopter/WebPlayer.html

I hope you'll enjoy it.

Regards.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  13. Shantred

Shantred

Just starting my first lab and came across the video about audio assets. Are these supposed to be provided to us? I don't see downloadable files for us or anything like that.

14. Melt

Melt

@ manituan : Really a nice work, I like all the feature you was add.

@ Shantred : Yes, for the first lab you have to search sound effects by yourself

15. Aguas

Aguas

http://vimeo.com/channels/151501/17068851 - 06:45

Hi everyone. I'm following the video on the link above, in the video the code works fine, I'm doing it in my MonoDevelop, but unlike in the video (which prints once with Collapse unchecked), it prints twice and I don't understand why..

Here's the script part:

var delayAmount = 2.0;
    private var timeDelay = 0.0;

function Update ()
    {
    if ( Input.GetKey ("p") Time.time > timeDelay )
    {
    timeDelay = Time.time + delayAmount;
    print ( "You just pressed the P key" );
    }
    }

As you can see, in the video it prints one time only, for each time he presses the key. When I test it, it prints twice "You just pressed the P key" for each time the "p" key is pressed..

Edit:

Nevermind, I just closed the script and added a new one from scratch, and it solved it. I've been using a lot of comments (to make the script a learning tool to revisit later), and I'm sure I've screwed up somewhere (though I couldn't find where..). But nevermind, it works ok now. Thanks anyways ;)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  16. snaker

snaker

wow,sounds great!
    thank you!

17. zehnnorzahr

zehnnorzahr

Hi Everyone!

I just completed project 1, the click click game.
    It can be found here: http://www.justinmyers.name/

Thanks to the walker boys for such great tutorials, I really learned a lot!

18. VJ_Anomolee

VJ_Anomolee

19. chipnuts

chipnuts

Hey guys! I finished my Lab #1. I didn't get the spherical movement or blinking, but added another level, random movement in 2nd level, and added a 'subtractor' object (Capsule) that takes points away in the second level. I also changed the code a bit by adjusting the ways to win. You can win by hitting the max points (5 for level 1, 7 for level 2) instead of waiting for the time to finish.

This was a GREAT tutorial and I learned so much. Thanks!

http://www.electrotoast.com/games/WebKlicAndClak.html

-Chip

20. chipnuts

chipnuts

EDIT! Sorry for the double post. That was weird. I came back to this window and it still showed the full submit window, so I thought it didn't submit. I went ahead and re-submitted.

Hey guys! I finished my Lab #1. I didn't get the spherical movement or blinking, but added another level, random movement in 2nd level, and added a 'subtractor' object (Capsule) that takes points away in the second level. I also changed the code a bit by adjusting the ways to win. You can win by hitting the max points (5 for level 1, 7 for level 2) instead of waiting for the time to finish.

This was a GREAT tutorial and I learned so much. Thanks!

http://www.electrotoast.com/2012/04/30/my-first-unity-game/

-Chip

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  21. zehnnorzahr

zehnnorzahr

@chipnuts VJ

Good work on your project you two!

I'm getting ready to start project two, looking forward to it :)

22. VJ_Anomolee

VJ_Anomolee

@zehnnorzahr Thanks man! Same to you . Your Lab 1 project is really good! I especially like the sound design + GUI - wish i had done Some GUI like yours ! Keep up the good work.

Im off to start Lab#3 now.

Oh and btw. I noticed you've got a wordpress blog.
    I highly suggest using Tom Higgins UnityObject WP plugin so you can embed your unity projects right inside a post or a page. It works great. I have all of my unity projects setup that way on my games / software page(category).
    http://vjanomolee.com/category/software/

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  23. zehnnorzahr

zehnnorzahr

Thanks for the tip about the plugin, I was hoping something like that existed.
    I'm gonna get that installed today.

24. chipnuts

chipnuts

@zehnnorzahr Thanks as well! The sound design is great! Did you create all that yourself, or did you find the clips online? @VJ, your shooter is pretty cool! I hadn't looked past the first lab yet, and I was wondering if they had an Asteroids type game as it was one of my favorites growing up. After seeing your Lab 2, I can see that's close enough and now I'm really going to dive into this one.

25. Pash

Pash

Guys, thanks so much for these resources. I am working through them this week, will do my first exam at the weekend if I can fit it in. Truly excellent offering to the community, you should be very proud!

26. Oldham97

Oldham97

Hi guys is just want to ask did any of you guys have andy problems in creating the shield in lab 2 space shooter because my problem is that when the shield gets destroyed it cannot be activated again when the button E is pressed

Anyone having the same problem or anyone know how to fix the problem ?

Thanks in advance

27. Jack Marian

Jack Marian

@oldham97
    I'm on lab 3 now, but if I remember correctly the script explained in the tutorial create a shield that can be enabled only one time, because when the var you used for number of shields arrives to 0 it ends, and there's no function to recharge it.

To create a shield that can be reactivated you should create a new fuction to recharge the shields var (based on time or, more simply, using some special pick up capsule).

28. lordnovas

lordnovas

Hey Guys Please Help,

I'm currently on the Walkerboys Lab 4 tutorial, everything was going well till I added this block of code to make Mario shoot the fireballs. I get the following error " No appropriate version of 'UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate' for the argument list '(UnityEngine.GameObject, UnityEngine.Transform, UnityEngine.Vector3, UnityEngine.Quaternion)' was found."

I've done a bit of research and they say I can't Instantiate a String but I don't see where I'm defining "clone" as a string. I tried making it "var clone : GameObject;" but it still does not work.

Please Help guys. Thanks.

Code (csharp):
    1.     if ( canShoot )
    2.     {
    4.         var clone;
    5.         if ( Input.GetButtonDown ( "Fire1" )  projectileFire  playerControls.moveDirection == 0)
    6.         {
    7.             clone = Instantiate ( projectileFire, projectileSocketLeft, transform.position, transform.rotation );
    8.             clone.rigidbody.AddForce ( -90, 0, 0 );            
    9.         }
    11.         if ( Input.GetButtonDown ( "Fire1" )  projectileFire  playerControls.moveDirection == 1)
    12.         {
    13.             clone = Instantiate ( projectileFire, projectileSocketRight, transform.position, transform.rotation );
    14.             clone.rigidbody.AddForce ( 90, 0, 0 );             
    15.         }
    16.     }
    17.     else
    18.         return;

29. Oldham97

Oldham97

hi i am lab 2 and i have just finished the shield part but it only lets you use the shield once .. could someone please tell me how can i make the shield be able to be used 4 times!!1

30. jwjb

jwjb

I ran across your excellent site surfing the Unity forums and just wanted to briefly introduce myself and say thanks for all of your hard work in putting everything together.

I just started the course tonight and have completed up to Topic 2-16 and am looking forward to continue working through your materials and earning my ‘Official’ WBS Unity Certificate.

31. MANISH KUMAR

MANISH KUMAR

HI can you solve or anyone solve my problem,related to basic java script
    /////////
    Code is here
    ///////////

32. MANISH KUMAR

MANISH KUMAR

it's give error in java script,anyone solve ....

33. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

could you post the error?

34. tra2002

tra2002

you added a extra ;

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  35. jamieoliver22

jamieoliver22

I've just started to do this course, and the matierial is excellent - cannot fault the hard work you guys have put into this! Many thanks!

However, how do I access the later exams? I have completed Exam 1, but the rest require passwords. I know you have dropped the passwords for future videos, but what about the exams? Is it still possible to have a go at these?

Thanks,
    Jamie

36. MANISH KUMAR

MANISH KUMAR

Yes you say right,
    that problem is here , but also i can't solve this,
    some important codes , mean if anyone solve this,
    Mean i want to ,
    how parse a parametric given value in code,
    and how i define a anonymous inner classes ....
    This is my problem,
    In java easily handled,but in java script,what's a problem....

If anyone solve this code,than give me runnable example of this or similar type code.Just simple.

37. tra2002

tra2002

38. MANISH KUMAR

MANISH KUMAR

Ok , I got this,
    But i ask you something that, can i give a parameter default value in any function like as:-
    //////////////////////////
    int a(int x=10)

///////////////////
    In java script

function dosomething(x:float=100.05f) /*Something like this*/

I read your document carefully now,but you get or solve my above Code than send me must,or ask to other developers about this.
    Thanking you for this post

39. MANISH KUMAR

MANISH KUMAR

Ok , I got this,
    But i ask you something that, can i give a parameter default value in any function like as:-
    //////////////////////////
    int a(int x=10)

///////////////////
    In java script

function dosomething(x:float=100.05f) /*Something like this*/

I read your document carefully now,but you get or solve my above Code than send me must,or ask to other developers about this.
    Thanking you for this post

40. jwjb

jwjb

41. Pillbox

Pillbox

HI, this if my Lab 1. your tutorials , a very good. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  42. ChrisAllen

ChrisAllen

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  43. cj31387

cj31387

Hi, the unity application video tutorials lessons ones are missing number 19-30 and more, or they just have been re-organized, where can i find the missing videos? Also from the page a lot of lesson series links to just the unity application video tutorials section.

44. ChrisAllen

ChrisAllen

Try this page

http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_training___free__.html

all the videos in the whiole series are linked to from this page... hopefully the ones you're missing can be found here

45. zehnnorzahr

zehnnorzahr

46. udede

udede

wonderful !!

47. Pillbox

Pillbox

in the new version of Unity i cant find option "to remove the animation after playing"

48. AndyHayward

AndyHayward

I've completed projects 1 and two, and completed the exams.

My website is pretty sparse, but it does the job for now:

Project home page

Project 1

Project 1 extended - Tickle a Swede!
    (played with the project and extended it a little, and took the opportunity to poke some fun at two swedish friends of mine. Warning, there is some language in it that some might find offensive)

Project 2

Project 2 extended - Old School Asteroids Took this from a scroller style game to where you can move around the screen in all directions. Asteroids come from all sides and also crash into each other.

More to come. I wants my certificate!!!

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  49. Pillbox

Pillbox

50. jimcastoro

jimcastoro

I recently ran into your site and it has been an amazing experience so far. I started playing with Unity about six months ago and made progress but going through these tutorials I am learning so much more and easier ways of doing things! My only complaint is that I wish I had found this site six months ago! I am not finished up with Project 2 and feel like I have something worth showing off so here is my blog with Projects 12 please comment!

http://www.brotherswolf.net/JaspersBlog/