Search Unity

Unity 3 Tree Creation and Editing Video

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Don-Gray, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

2. mikesgames

mikesgames

Thanks for this!

3. minevr

minevr

Thanks for share.. :D

4. 3dDude

3dDude

cool 8)

5. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

This looks so cool!

6. Pulov

Pulov

Thanks for the vid. Seems quite complete.
    Thre trees I see developed with this editor look a bit too fantastic-mistic. Anyone tried to create a realitic one?

7. Clamps

Clamps

Hi,

I wanted to copy a tree I made, so I can make LODs. But every time I duplicate a tree, it makes copies that behave as instances. That is, any change made to one version appears on them all.
    What I need is a new copy that is unique, so I can make adjustments to each one, so I can manually refine each.

8. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Hey Clamps,
    Highlight the prefab in the Project (not the Hierarchy) Panal and duplicate it,
    this should solve your problem.
    Antenna Tree pointed this out to me.

9. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Here's a realistic tree I made.

Enjoy the tree. I was hoping someone here would be able to tell me if anyone was getting performance problems with trees and shadows. It seems that when viewing a tree's leaves up close, or it's shadow, there's a massive drop in performance. Does anyone have this problem? Any UT devs want to chime in? I really need this one fixed in order to have practical usage of trees and shadows. I suspect it's at the shader level.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ti30vdee5inridx

10. Pulov

Pulov

That tree looks pretty good.
    The truck is fantastic, may be the leaves are a bit too messy with a quite random look or may be because the planes for the branches are too easily visible.

Anyway, looks pretty good to me.

Just curious. Is there any form to load a seed from a predefined specie?

Or could we build a tree similar to a know specie and save it as a "seed" and then build a library of different species?

If not, I think this would be an awesome addition so that the users could share their seeds and build a custom library for vegetation listed by species.

11. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Yeah, the trunk does look nice, care to give some tips on how you made it?
    Have you tried billboard on the leaves to see how the frame rate is?
    I don't remember seeing a problem with the frame rate while viewing leaves or shadows but it's been a while since I tested.

12. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Changing the leaves to billboard doesn't help the performance (except for the expected minor performance boost in going from a cross leaf to a billboard leaf). Load the tree into a complex scene with shadows and look at the shadow it generates, or the tree leaves.

I'm going to file a bug report, because right now, you can't use trees and shadows together. :(

As for the trunk, just go to the base branch tree node and mess around with the flare settings under the shape tab. This tree really only took 10-15 minutes to make. I guess it helps to know a bit about Xfrog (another tree making program). :)

13. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I'll download the tree when I get a minute, but my main question was
    how did you get the thick triple root look of the trunk?
    Is the material mainly just a bump?

14. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

But to be more specific, the settings for the flares I used are in the trunk node and should have the values that are used.

15. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Ah, makes sense, don't think I've thought of using flares there, just in the branches.
    Sometimes the thinking gets stuck in a box.
    It was a revelation when I realized I could have more than one branch or leaf node on the same branch node.

Thanks!

16. duke

duke

It's a pitty that the wind doesn't work with them when used as terrain foliage :(