Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3 Release Real Soon Now ™

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by antenna-tree, Sep 21, 2010.

1. jjobby

jjobby

I can't activate free version of Unity 3 both internet and manual activation. Maunal activation said "The product activation system has denied activating the product" Internet activation said "The serial number you entered is not valid. Please recheck the serial number and try again" Does someone has same issue here?

2. Dantus

Dantus

andeeee, I tried exactly that (both variants) with restarting after deleting the license files. Both failed so far. I am using Windows Vista.

3. Dantus

Dantus

Now it works! Thanks a lot!

4. Nick3d

Nick3d

Is normal that I can't use Beast or the other features? isn't the 30 days trial where you can use all the features? or is only the free version?

5. Davaris

Davaris

What happened to that 1940s demo they had with the city and the rain? That was really nice.

6. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

We'll release that as as standalone in the next few weeks.

7. haggis

haggis

Just checking I have the correct version which I downloaded yesterday thinking it was just another beta update.... I have version 3.0.0f5 (51258) - Is this the final release?

Because I already have Unity and Unity iPhone basic installed, do I lose out on the 30 day trial for the pro version (would be nice to compare basic vs pro)

Last question.... I've seen a few screenshots with a dark user interface. I like it a lot but how do I get it? Is it from tweaking the colours in preferences or is there a template somewhere?

8. interactiveboy

interactiveboy

3.0.0f5 is the final release

The dark interface is a Pro feature.

9. HolBol

HolBol

I upgraded a project to 3.0 from 2.6, and my god it runs slow. What is going on! Also, alot of things broke, like the water, and Pixelstudio's Skydome no longer works :C.

10. haggis

haggis

Cheers IB

11. Io

Io

god damn! it's amazing ! I've bought unity pro unity Iphone pro. sample scene is great, interface is awesome...
    I'll say more when i've tested more.

(sorry again for my language, i'm not english-speaker)

12. Nick3d

Nick3d

Again, sorry to ask that, but if you don't enter the serial number but only the license that you obtain from Unity website, means that is the Free version or the 30 days trial?
    I'm able to select deferred rendering but not to use realtime shadows...so I suppose that is the free version, but is there a way to download and try the 30 days trial?

13. coin-god

coin-god

Working, its awesome!

14. Dreamora

Dreamora

there is no deferred rendering in the free one.
    if you can selected deferred you are on the pro trial

15. mortalhuman

mortalhuman

It *could* be that you're running deferred mode which while it makes a lot of things less strenuous, your particular scene might use things it is not particularly good at that classic forward rendering is good at. Check your settings to see if you're using deferred or forward.

Question: What is the difference between the unity 3 standard and pro editions?

In other words, what are the limitations for free unity, and also, is Unity 2.6 Pro going to finally be free or what?

Cheers, congrats on the release Unity.

16. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

17. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Sweet release UT!

I found a small problem on the website that's not huge by any means, but, figured I'd share if you all want to fix it

On this page:
    http://unity3d.com/unity/editor/importing

At the bottom under "3D Package Support"

you all have .dae right next to "AutoDesk FBX" as though it were the FBX format instead of .fbx

Thanks guys, I'm really excited about Unity 3 :)
    Nathan

18. RodrigoSeVeN

RodrigoSeVeN

Congratulations Unity Team! I just found out and i'm aching to play with it!

Also, great iniciative on launching it free aswell!

Rodrigo

19. blockimperium

blockimperium

And so the days of playing Civ3 come to an abrupt end... Yet somehow, I think I'll be having much more fun.

20. Nick3d

Nick3d

Ok, but I can't use shadows, it just says that shadows are available only on Pro :(, so I suppose that I'm using the free version...a bit confusing

21. mckertis

mckertis

Apparently someone very "smart" decided its okay to not ASK where i want my demo project, and just dump it on C:\DocumentsandSettings. WTF people ? Who does that ? Especially without asking ? Why did i have to pick the directory for the executable files if you were going to sneak around and dump half a gig behind my back somewhere ? God !!

22. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

Quick Question:

Is it possible to run both version2.6 and version 3 on the same machine?

When I installed the Beta of version3, it replaced 2.6. When I re-installed version2.6, it replaced version3.

I ask because I need to have both versions active on my system, version3 for personal use, and the other for teaching students who only have access to the free version.

Anyone know if this is possible?

23. Yann

Yann

Don't know for the PC, but on the Mac you just have to rename your Unity folder (ex : "Unity 2") before upgrading. Then both versions can run together - and they even won't share their prefs.

Personally, I took two precautions :

1) change Unity 2's icon color to avoid confusions

2) set both Unity 3 and 2 to "Show Project Wizard at Startup", so that Unity 3 doesn't upgrade by accident (after a double click on a scene file) a project I'd want to keep in V2 format.

24. wkmccoy

wkmccoy

I am amped, just the amount of stuff to include on a new project had me tweaking! Can't wait to Bake!

25. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Someone woke up from the wrong side of the bed

Dude, next time you will install unity, you will receive a mail that will inform you that the example project will be installed in that location, and you have 30 days to notify if you accept or not;)

Guess that if you would use a mac you would not have to worry about where the stuff goes; and i would suggest a tb hard drive for 69 dollars at compUSA; in this way half a gig for the example project will not look that much :)

Your message has a meaning and the message is right; the problem is how you communicate the message, and this is probably the wrong way.

26. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I would be really worried to do so.....

Unity upgrade the projects, so you will be stuck with 2 copies of each project...is already a nightmare to manage a single project and keep it in sync between people; you can imagine multiple folders of the same project ;)

Why don't you just create another user and put U2.6 there, and keep U3 on your main user?

27. lancerfour

lancerfour

I installed along side 2.6, just put it in Unity3 folder; both seem fine.

Thanks for 3.0, Unity is amazing as always.

28. dragonstar

dragonstar

well I buy my license a few minutes ago a can't wait to use all the new features

29. RHD

RHD

I have 2.6 Pro and want to install 3 Pro, which I bought months ago but haven't downloaded yet as I was waiting for the full release, alongside it it as I anticipate problems upgrading some of my fairly clunky projects and I want to get to grips with 3 (which I'm really looking forward to - it looks amazing) first.

Is it really as simple as renaming the Unity file in the Applications folder (I'm on a Mac) and installing 3 and will both be Pro versions so all my effects work?

Thank you guys.

30. oblivionfeet

oblivionfeet

Yep it's that simple, though in another thread someone mentions being careful with spaces in the folder names on the Mac. Also backup your projects before letting Unity 3 access to them because chances are something in them wont work correctly (mostly shaders from what I can tell) and once you've updated your project it can't go back to 2.6.1.

31. RHD

RHD

Thanks Oblivionfeet I'll do that!

Downloading now! Very excited!

32. RHD

RHD

WOW!!!
    I mean you'll be getting the "how does this work?, how does that work??" whining anytime soon, but WOW!!!!!!! Fantastic!!! It's a new world order. Just don't get bought out by Autodesk or I will find you and.....

33. SPIKY

SPIKY

This might be a strange request:
    Is there a way to install Unity 3 without activating the one month free pro?

I'm currently working on a framework that should be usable in the free versions (which is easier if I can only use the non-pro functionality).

34. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

Yep - I did.

Just make sure you do not click on trial when registering.

35. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Are there any release-notes for further versions, >3.0 f5, on the website (similar to what the Beta did?) ?.

I'm asking because I'm working on a computer which isn't connected to the internet so it's impossible to automatically update unity, or know if there is an update, without downloading the whole build.

Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  36. jnbutler

jnbutler

Where does the install put the demo project?

Never mind I found it in Users\Public\Public Documents\Unity Projects\BootCamp Demo

Sweet!!!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010