Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3 Beta Release Notes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by antenna-tree, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nm8shun

nm8shun

So are y'all mac or PC based?

2. siliwangi

siliwangi

where is the beta6 changelog?
    [edit]
    NVM it's updated,to get the beta6 link you can get it when beta5 checking for update,click the "check for the new version",it will open a link.

3. Robert G

Robert G

I getting numerous errors after updating to six, they were all referring to the scripts in the
    "Standard Assets\Character Controllers" folder.
    Removing these scripts of course solved it.

Regards, Robert

4. Robert G

Robert G

With Beta 6 not anymore, I'm afraid.
    Double clicking a script does open MonoDevelop but not the script.

Regards, Robert

5. flim

flim

I found U3 beta 6 without any issue with MonoDevelop.

No crash, double-click the script in Unity then MonoDevelop launch and open the script, double-click another script and the same MonoDevelop instance open the script without issue.

6. kosirm

kosirm

3rd person controller is great, but PLEASE add WoW style camera movement (mouse based) in addition to super-mario style character/camera movement (key based).
    Milan

7. Robert G

Robert G

Ok, don't know why, but its working again.
    Great!

8. llavigne

llavigne

The crash happens when you launch Unity from MD in debug mode

9. jcarpay

jcarpay

Aras confirmed this doesn't work with Unity3. Isn't it a bit odd to *remove* key features from Pro in a new release?? Having no point/spot light shadows in ortho mode is a huge step backwards. I'm really interested in the reason behind all this and if there's a chance we see this fixed for the final release.

Case 368087

10. Itchy-Games

Itchy-Games

well, i have a big issue whit skinned meshes.

in this first image, the skinned meshes on Unity 2.6.1:

and this the warnings that give me once imported to Unity 3:

and the image of the skinned meshes before Unity 3 Import:

these models I buyed in 3DRT (íve send them too this issues for his knowledgement).

how can I/We solve these import problems?

Attached Files:

11. LordsWarrior

LordsWarrior

-NEVERMIND- :?

12. Doguri

Doguri

You need Reimport All

13. jtbentley

jtbentley

I feel it would be nice if they posted the latest Beta notes at the same time as the new release...

14. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

The release notes contain:

Unity 3.0.0 b2
    o Improvements:
    oo Editor
    ooo Better memory handling when importing assets, switching scenes, building player.

I believe this documents the bug you reported. I cannot provide any insight into the async issue unless someone can give me a bug report that describes the problem. Async loading is of course complicated, so I would not be surprised if we did have bugs there, but we need reproducible cases if we are to fix problems.

Thanks,
    Graham

15. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

beta7 release notes are now posted online at the address AntennaTree gave at the start of this thread.

16. duke

duke

b7 first po ...oh

awesome! :)

17. malasieno

malasieno

Hello,
    i've just installed v3 beta7 and i think i found a strange behavior regarding objects connected via hinge joint and/or configurable joint.

RIGIDBODY+CONFIGURABLEJOINT--->RIGIDBODY+HINGEJOINT

ConfigurableJoint seems to act like a very weak spring even though there is no spring option activated

I'm developing an iphone project (near to completion) and everything worked fine with previous betas and in v1.7 iphone.

I don't know if it is a bug or if i miss something
    :)

18. r618

r618

The joints are behaving weirdly - a rigidbody with spring joint attached just moves around some weird anchor, I've just submitted a bugreport

I suggest you do the same

ed: case 372782

19. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

Yes, the joints seem to be locked to the world's origin (0,0,0) in the editor (look for the little orange arrow).

20. llavigne

llavigne

b7 is much slower than b5 in mono debug mode

21. Peter G

Peter G

I'm also getting strange behavior with configurable joints. They're just "flying" everywhere it seems like. Already filed some bug reports.

Case 370507

Case 371455 (I had some more files to send Ricardo, and they were too big to email, so he had me send them in another report that linked itself to 370507.)

Edit: Problems still exist in b7.

22. impla007

impla007

Got problems with Hinge joints.
    I have just imported a scene made with B6 to B7 changed nothing and Hinge joint is flying elsewhere...

23. sonicviz

sonicviz

Any news on when the beta will enable web deploy testing?
    Currently on b7, but really would like to test this for a demo #tokyohackerspace is submitting for upcoming Tokyo Urban Internet of Things workshop http://www.webofthings.com/urban-iot/2010/

24. StarManta

StarManta

More than likely, not until Unity3 is properly released. And that, more than likely, will be at Unite 2010.

25. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

And you are more than likely wrong on that release time frame. :) It will be out well before Unite (which isn't until early November). But you are right on web players, we don't want folks creating nor posting those until the player is final so you'll just have to wait, sorry!

26. sonicviz

sonicviz

kk, ty

27. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Looking forward to RC1's notes if anyone has time to upload them.

28. bournifle

bournifle

I've downloaded Unity 3 f1 for MacOSX, but when I try to open the dmg, I've got the following error message:

"unity_update-3.0.0f1.dmg : invalid checksum"

I've tried several times, with Chrome and Firefox... Am I the only one to have this problem ?

29. holger53

holger53

Had to try downloding several times before I got the complete file (Windows version)

30. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

Just downloaded and tested.
    Works fine and runs my current project.

I did notice there were two mac versions.
    I download the one that that included the example project if that makes a difference.

Safari:
    Version 5.0.1 (6533.17.8)

Pooter:
    MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

31. Moonjump

Moonjump

I downloaded the Mac version without the example project and it worked for me. I used Safari.

Only problem is I'm seeing major reductions in frame-rate when testing my game on the Mac with Unity 3f1. My first level has gone down from 1300-1400 fps to 800-900 (it is an iPhone project, so the frame rate is important).

32. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

If you had problems downloading before please try again as we have done a few things server side to fix this.

I will get the release notes up tonight or tomorrow morning for all of the pre-order customers.

33. NitroPye

NitroPye

Unity 3.0.0f1 on the same day as iOS 4.2 beta. This should prove an interesting day.

34. impla007

impla007

I have downloaded 3.0.F1 with the demo project..

But where is the demo project ??

35. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I'd say those FPS numbers are way too high to draw any conclusions from. It's a difference of 0.76 milliseconds/frame and 1.1 millisecond/frame, i.e. 0.3 milliseconds.

Additionally, if you're looking at FPS numbers of the Game View Stats window, we made them be more accurate. So it's likely running at exactly the same speed (actually... probably faster, we did optimize quite a bit in RC1), just the FPS display displays something that is closer to truth than in previous builds.

36. loopyllama

loopyllama

Thanks for the updates Unity Team!

We look forward to making some nice games with all of your hard work!

37. 3Duaun

3Duaun

I too had a few downloads of the mac version give invalid checksums, but a fesh download recently worked.

Does anyone have the release notes for 3.0.0f1?

38. Moonjump

Moonjump

Thanks Aras,

Things seem to be running as smoothly as ever at 60fps on an iPhone 3G, and the iPhone keyboard seems to pop up with slightly less of a delay, so it does indeed mean a change in frame rate reporting, rather than a reduction in actual frame rate.

39. impla007

impla007

I have downloaded 3.0.F1 with the demo project..

But where is the demo project ??

40. xandeck

xandeck

It is in your documents folder of your Windows user folder (if you on Windows, of course).

41. appels

appels

if your on vista -> C:\Users\Public\Documents

42. jtbentley

jtbentley

Why are the release notes never updated at the same time? :)

43. flim

flim

What is the meaning of f? Is it same as RC?

44. Dreamora

Dreamora

The newest release is in fact RC1 (and potentially the only one if no further major bug is found)

45. zumwalt

zumwalt

ODBC still doesn't work to write/update/delete records in Access from Unity, there are other issues, like OnLevelWasLoaded doesn't always trigger, small bugs here and there, but they are in a rush to get this to market for the big show, so things like this will have to be a patch after release. I have even found now since this release, that the masterserver register host doesn't always send the registeration, so you have to close the game and go back in then it will send it, so that is even intermittent. Nothing is ever perfect and they have to go live some day.

46. Dreamora

Dreamora

nothing is ever perfect, right.

But if you look at the bootcamp example and see the totally ugly popup problems with detail objects and missing objects like the ground in the wood building by the river then I'm unsure if they really need to get into GarageGames shoes by releasing stuff that has to await 1+ bugfix releases to stop being totally borked for production usage.

its not like the iphone side is suffering enough problems to still not make me upgrade anything, again (had 3 customer projects on the beta and had to backport all 3 again)

I'm currently not sure where this all is heading and where this newfound handling actually comes from that favors hype of broken + eye candy over a solid working engine which got UT where they are ...
    After all Brett Seyler joined UT and he should know better than anyone else which way round the crap spiral is turning as he was a high up at GarageGames before switching to GGs main competitor

And time alone can't be it, after all UT has postphoned basically every single iphone targeted and relevant feature to 3.1 (gui that is finally multitouch capable at all, gamekit, 2d system, core motion, ...)

47. Quietus2

Quietus2

Don't scare me now. I was a TGEA early adopter.

UT needs to release something rock solid. Not push bug fixes down the pipe just to get it out the door before Unite. If that means pushing the release back until december, then it pushes the release back until december.

Don't pull the bird out of the oven until it's fully cooked.

48. andeeeee

andeeeee

Yes, it basically stands for "final" or something along those lines. (Oddly, we always refer to it as RC internally, so I don't know why it is done differently in the app.)

49. Ookoohko

Ookoohko

Hi,

Just upgraded to 3.0.0.f1 and for some reason my game now runs upside down in 1st gen ipod touch :)

The splash screen orientation is correct but everything else has flipped 180 degrees? :)

Is this a known issue?

edit: nevermind, looks like "default orientation" flag has reset itself...

br,
    Sami

50. impla007

impla007

@appels and @xandeck Thanks, I never went there ...

For mac user, demos project are in /users/shared/unity

Thanks to the Unity Team :D it is GREAT !!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.