Search Unity

UNITY 3 beta preview

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nikemerlino, Jun 23, 2010.

1. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

you mean first line: "Draw calls: xxxx batched: xx"?
    doesn’t work for me i think. have a look at the image attached: on the top you see all objects marked that i used to combine using "combine children": rocks with rocks, fences wit fences, fern with fern… but when i disable the combine children script i do not get any number of batches…

Attached Files:

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

and you are on pro?
    (at least in iphone 1.x, static batching was a pro only feature, the non pro iphone only got dynamic batching. Unsure if that has changed for U3)

3. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

yes i am on pro.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

And you tested it with a scene without the combiner, right?

cause the combiner would fight against static batching up to a given degree.

From the screenshot two things though need to be mentioned:
    1. we don't see if they all use the same material. thats a requirement
    2. you seem to use alpha. alpha will not batch / batch only on a restricted degree cause they can't be batched. alpha is depth sorted by the objects 0,0,0 position, which means that you will get pretty ugly problems if objects use alpha and are of a larger nature or if an object can pass in front of that alpha objects 0,0,0 pos but behind its "transparent surface" (cause in this case the passing through object will potentially not be behind)

I guess you did such tests naturally to exclude 2 and only apply the combine where possible, but the static batcher naturally can't do such "human case to case" decisions :)

5. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

the screenshot shows a part of the scene on which objects i have disabled the combiner. all objects marked in the scene view are visible in the game view.
    --> 1. all rocks are use the same material (in fact they are the same prefab just in different sizes/rotations), same with "walls", "roadguards" and so on. but you are right: "fern" and "fence" use alpha. so using the script applied to those objects would be better…?
    nevertheless i should get at least some batches for the roadguards and the walls but the stats windows says: 0…

combining objects which use alpha everywhere was possible for me so far - even if they where placed pretty far away from each other and even if the camera was between those combined objects.

Attached Files:

6. Robert G

Robert G

I gave it another shot today hoping this would be solved by now.
    But no, unity3 still won't run on my laptop.
    Very slowly I'm getting horrified because I need to take my labtop to à client and work from his location.
    Please don't tell me that I will need to buy à new laptop in order to run Unity3.

Regards, Robert

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

depends on

if your notebook has a 9600GT+. 2.5ghz+ editor and 3GB+ RAM then no likely

if it has a 7600 or alike, then you might be able to use it if you go into the player settings and set it to forward and rework the editor quality level setting cause with such a box, you will not get deferred especially not in the editor.

8. Robert G

Robert G

Thanks Dreamora for answering this.
    The laptop actually has a Gforce Go 6800, I knowhow it's outdated but as I mentioned before; 2.6 works just fine.
    Just to be clear; the program simply won't start and then gives an error message, so adjusting the player settings won't be possible.
    On another computer without an dedicated graphics card beta3 also starts without à problem, that does not make sense to me.

Regards, Robert.

9. bradhouse

bradhouse

I'm not sure if this is a bug or I'm just missing something. Every app I attempt to deploy to the iPhone has the same problem (from a completely empty project through to the sample iPhone projects on the unity website).

I created a new project in Unity 3.0.0f1, added no game objects and included no standard packages.

I then set the following:
    target: iPhone Only
    target platform: armv6
    target res: Native

SDK version: Simulator 4.1
    Target iOS: 4.1

I then Build+Run with XCode 3.2.4 and the app launches in the simulator although the app exits immediately on launch. The console has the following:

[Session started at 2010-09-18 10:46:12 +1000.]
    2010-09-18 10:46:15.384 empty[9028:207] -> registered mono modules
    -> applicationDidFinishLaunching()
    Mono path[0] = '/Users/brad/Library/Application Support/iPhone Simulator/4.1/Applications/D74C6161-47C4-43FF-833A-A50367A9519D/empty.app/Data/Managed'
    Detected an attempt to call a symbol in system libraries that is not present on the iPhone:
    mmap$UNIX2003 called from function mono_valloc in image empty.
    Detected an attempt to call a symbol in system libraries that is not present on the iPhone:
    mprotect$UNIX2003 called from function mono_mprotect in image empty.
    opendir$UNIX2003 called from function g_dir_open in image empty.
    close$UNIX2003 called from function mono_shared_area_for_pid in image empty.
    munmap$UNIX2003 called from function mono_shared_area_unload in image empty.
    fstat64 called from function mono_file_map_size in image empty.
    open$UNIX2003 called from function g_file_get_contents in image empty.
    pthread_cond_init$UNIX2003 called from function _wapi_cleanup in image empty.
    unsetenv$UNIX2003 called from function g_unsetenv in image empty.
    pthread_cond_wait$UNIX2003 called from function GC_incremental_protection_needs in image empty.
    fstat$INODE64 called from function _ZN4llvm12MemoryBuffer7getFileEPKcPSsx in image libLLVMContainer.dylib.
    GL_APPLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_APPLE_texture_max_level GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_IMG_read_format GL_IMG_texture_compression_pvrtc GL_OES_depth24 GL_OES_depth_texture GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_vertex_array_object
    Creating OpenGLES2.0 graphics device
    pthread_mutexattr_destroy$UNIX2003 called from function _ZN4llvm3sys5MutexC2Eb in image libLLVMContainer.dylib.
    2010-09-18 10:46:15.484 empty[9028:207] AddRunningClient starting device on non-zero client count

Any thoughts on something I might be doing wrong, or if this looks more like a bug?

Thanks.

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

base sdk must be iOS 4.1, not simulator 4.1

11. JDonavan

JDonavan

AFAIK you can't run Unity iOS apps in the simulator.

12. Yann

Yann

Dragrigidbody fixed in version 3.0.0f1 : thanks Unity ! :D

13. gamesurgeon

gamesurgeon

Am I the only one whose Unity 3.0.1f is saying that the current res. is always 640 x 480? :/

14. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Unity has always said that in editor mode.

--Eric

15. taumel

taumel

Contrary to using a real camera, i have my problems setting up a convincing and the way i want i to appear Depth of Field with these parameter options. Is the shader final already? Any tips?

16. gamesurgeon

gamesurgeon

Didn't know that, thanks!

17. ROCFriesePoort

ROCFriesePoort

Hi, just downloaded and installed Unity3f1 including the demoproject. But when I create a new project, I can't find the demo project. Do I something wrong?

18. taumel

taumel

Due to the many answers i received to my last question, i thought i give it another try. :O)

In todays working break, i played around with the light shafts and contrary to the DOF, i understood those but i stumbled about something weird. Is it normal that a normal diffuse shader without any special stuff uses two drawcalls? I found it weird that i ended up with so many drawcalls...something seems to work different than in 2.6.1. I ended up with 184 drawcalls although i'm just sharing 6 materials.

Still doing these little tryouts for testing purposes, that's the one from today. Colours might be dark but a) i did it on a Mac ;O) and b) i'm in a dark room right now, as most of the time: fullscreen mode.

http://spielwiese.marune.de/_uni/_tmp/3b7.html

19. thomasmahler

thomasmahler

Hey guys, quick OT question: How long does it usually take to get the Unity 3 Beta access? We just bought 2 lics, can't wait to get our hands on Unity 3 :)

20. Dreamora

Dreamora

1-2 work days assuming UT isn't planning to make the next release the real release and going out with it in the next 3-5 days in which case it could happen that you potentially don't have to use a beta but the real one directly :)

21. Taintspore

Taintspore

Has anyone done anything with procedural meshes in the betas or RCs?

When I tear a chunk out of my voxel cube the visible mesh updates but it doesn't seem like the MeshCollider.sharedMesh does. I've tried Clear and setting it to null before applying the reconstructed mesh but it's a no go.

That a bug or am I missing something weird about meshcolliders?

Edit 1: I tried calling destroy on the shared mesh and mesh (should be the same mesh but just in case...) and it started working. Googled around for a bit and didn't find anything on the issue. I guess it's a bug with U3? Too tired to test with U2.6, I'll update tomorrow with test results.

Edit 2: Apparently the magic combination is to clear the sharedmesh then set it to null, add all the arrays (verts, normals, uvs, etc) to the meshfilter.mesh THEN set the sharedMesh.

I guess sharedMesh isn't a pointer... er... doesn't reference the original object (meshfilter.mesh)?

22. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Attached Files:

23. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

24. bradhouse

bradhouse

Thanks guys. Pretty obvious really. :)

25. Peter G

Peter G

As of 1.7, you can run Unity apps in the simulator actually. And in Unity 3, there are specific build settings for the simulator.

26. n0mad

n0mad

After a bit searching, I didn't find any answer to this question :

On my transition between OSX Unity iPhone and Windows (7) Unity 3, I just lost all of my prefabs connections, and even import settings.
    While it's quite annoying to remap all of them, I can understand the issue because of totally different pathes.

Question is, if I do remap all of my prefabs settings now (Unity beta F3), will they be lost again with Unity 3 final release ?

Thanks

27. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

AFAIK you shouldn't have lost your prefab connections at all. When you did this did you move the entire project folder or only the Assets folder? For example, I've had projects and moved them through each of the beta builds and never had this happen, many of those projects came from Unity 2.x/Unity iPhone 1.x.