Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UNITY 3 beta preview

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nikemerlino, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Frank_Geppert

Frank_Geppert

By the way: I already mentioned, that I made some collision geometry like the following for all corridor models and props.

I did not "feel" any difference as I did my first check. But now I checked it with Unity's profiler and I found this:

As you can see it reduces the usage of scripts a lot, not just a tiny bit, it reduces it significantly. So there is more room for other scripts, rendering, effects whatever.

So from what I see it is highly recommended to use extra lowpoly models only for collision detection like I did.

2. crafTDev

crafTDev

So yea, after the switch to .mb files from FBX to Maya 8. This is whats happening to my character animation...

http://www.screencast.com/t/MTA0ZDBlNjQt

FYI, the animation works perfectly in 2.6, but in Unity 3, it goes whack... :-/

The beta is driving me some crazies!!!

3. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Nice job. You're doing some great work.

How many polys are you pushing right now? As for maps... you're using a diffuse, normal, and light map?

4. Frank_Geppert

Frank_Geppert

At the moment I have a level constructed from 10 corridors / corner elements. So it contains around 500 thousand triangles. But I am using very low poly collision detection geometry and occlusion culling to render only what you see. So it works like expected.

Most materials are using diffuse, spec and normal. There are also height maps for each of them but I activated parallax only for a few of them. Some textures use light emission maps for additional glow.

5. HJP

HJP

nice, good work. Publish it ....

6. HJP

HJP

Maya 2008 is very old ... have you send a bug report? It's possible, that the export from Maya 2011 works after the 30 days trail. I have read something like that. But I don't know more where?

7. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Yeah, U3 has some animation problems. My character animations won't work like they should either.

8. HJP

HJP

Two bug reports are better than one ...

9. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

I submitted it before this problem was even mentioned.

10. HJP

HJP

You uses also Maya?

11. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Nope, Cinema 4D.

But I'm having problems with how it behaves, but I also have twitches in the animation like ricky does but at a much more subtle level. In short, Unity needs to fix the importer.

12. HJP

HJP

then I thing it's a bug ... unity/Maya/Cinema 4D ....

13. Dreamora

Dreamora

and you are on fbx 2011 export?

14. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

fbx 2010.2

*waits for a way to implement custom importers for Unity*

15. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

its the best Unity3D V3 :)

16. crafTDev

crafTDev

Yea implementing custom importers would be cool.

But thats not really good to here since I recently had FBX 2009 and thought that was the cause so I looked for FBX 2010 and downloaded it today hoping that would fix the problem. Im also currently Re-rigging and re-animating my character to see if there is any problem with my rigs (Im not including any groups this time since FBX doesnt play well with them).

And yea, I know Maya 8 is old but its all I can afford at the moment and the newer versions dont really do much to entice me to plop down that amount of money anymore. Later down the line I might see if I can find a cheap downloadable version of Maya 9. Im just really hoping the Unity Team is paying attention to these reports... :-(

17. Dreamora

Dreamora

if you post them here, potentially no

bugs are meant to be reported through the bug reporter of the version to which they apply

18. crafTDev

crafTDev

Well, like the posters say, they are being reported using the reporter...

19. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi. I opened the car tutorial in the unity 3b6 and started tweaking around when this appeared : "transform.rotation assign attempt for 'SceneCamera' is not valid. Input rotation is { NaN, NaN, NaN, NaN }.
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()"
    After that the Scene gizmo doesn't work anymore. I started a new project. The same. I unistalled and reinstalled. The same. I filled a bug report with case number 372617. I posted here because perhaps someone else experienced the same and have a workaround ? I googled my error message but I found no similar cases.
    What intrigues me is that while the overall stability
    of the editor keeps increasing with every new beta, this bug came from nowhere and blocks completely the Editor.
    Thanks in advance.

20. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Beta 7 is out. Waiting for release notes. :)

21. kenlem

kenlem

Where do release notes get posted?

22. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

23. HJP

HJP

DL is running .....

24. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

I don't know if this has been addressed already, but...

Has anyone tried to see if the new version of Unity could be embedded in a Flash page now? With Flash control overlays?

25. Dreamora

Dreamora

It does not work and never will work.

2D cpu created stuff can not overlay true 3D context stuff in any way, it does not even exist in the same "universe" technically.

Perhaps if adobe fixes their half a decade "behind the time" problem with flash it will start to work but for now, nope

26. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Can the Unity webplayer exist with Flash if Flash buttons do not overlay it?

Like, and there be a small window in a Flash app that has the Unity webplayer? And then have buttons in Flash that affect actions in the Unity webplayer?

27. Per

Per

Um, look sorry but this information is just too wrong to pass.

Any OpenGL or DX view that you see on your computer is actually a bitmap, being drawn into the interface. There is nothing to stop drawing on top of that bitmap if you wish using whatever methods you see fit.

Going the other way it's also quite feasible to take a bitmap made using the CPU and use it as a texture on the GPU in a polygon close to the camera effectively overlaying the background. It's not always the most efficient way to do things, but a number of programs out there do in fact do this.

As to whether you can apply these techniques to Flash. I would say that it would be inconveniently difficult to do so. Possibly you could stream the GPU graphic into flash as if it were a webcam stream and abuse that API, however flash will intercept all keyboard input streams too. Doing the opposite, i.e. loading flash content into unity is most likely prohibitive, both running the flash player concurrently as well as it's own speed issues. Your best bet for this sort of thing is going to be just for cut-scenes, in-between menus and pause screens, where you could conceivably take a snapshot of the unity window, export as a bitmap and import into flash in the background, then switch back to the unity player on exit from the screen. Use div layers to handle the transition. Of course this isn't a very clean approach but I don't see why it couldn't work provided you don't mind the background being static.

28. cruzdanilo_legacy

cruzdanilo_legacy

Same problem here. No solution yet

29. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

After installing the Unity 3b7, the bug disappeared. Great !

30. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

That's actually not correct as I understand things. Yes, the 3D view you see is a bitmap image that's been rendered (using hardware acceleration) off-screen, but it's not readily composited with other in-page elements. The browser handles rendering of the overall page off-screen, including compositing, it does that including Flash content but *not* including hardware accelerated 3D content. Instead the 3D content is given its rect and draws on its own cycles without compositing with the other in page elements. Thus if you try to draw in-browser content, like Flash, in the same draw region you'll get flickering/fighting for who draws "on top".

I do believe there are ways to get hardware accelerated renders done off-screen, with the resulting bitmap going to the browser's off-screen buffer for compositing, but I also believe that those come with heavy performance drops as your visual updates are now locked to the browser's updating, not the speed of hardware rendering.

And no, our content is still not playable in the Flash player, nor is Flash content supported inside our player, nor has anything really changed on the "can you layer them" front.

31. cruzdanilo_legacy

cruzdanilo_legacy

I'm with 3b7 and still have the bug, with no solution yet.

32. Per

Per

Yes you're right of course but my point is simply that CPU/GPU blitting is possible, not that all methods are inherently thread-safe or fast. It was just a counter to the outright denial that CPU/GPU can work together, if they couldn't it'd be bloody hard to use computers!

A browser plugin could abuse a framebuffer object to combine different sources even if it's slow and far more sensible to simply send a CPU drawn bitmap to the GPU and have it do the combining - in which case it mostly comes down to the bandwidth issue which really isn't as terrible as it might at first seem. People do this stuff all the time albeit not in browsers.

33. zumwalt

zumwalt

@Per

It is disabled, the OpenGL multi rendering mode is not enabled in Unity. OpenGL has the ability for other programs to hook into an instance of an OpenGL rendered window through the ID of that window, in which case you can do additional rendering through a second interface, but this is disabled. Also, both OpenGL and DirectX have the ability to set the actual target of the render window, so that say, I create a windows form, on this form I have a picture box, using the handle of the OpenGL window or DirectX window, I can set the target to render into the picturebox. This is also disabled in Unity.

If these options were enabled, I could use an external library to inject another camera into a scene live or even have tabbed forms in a windows form application display different images or even different elements in the same form have different rendered windows, it is rather cool to do really, just not possible with Unity.

34. Per

Per

Oh, well there goes that idea then. Perhaps time to submit a request!

35. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hmm..if I install the Beta 7, will my preferences disappear again? I'm kind of tired making my layouts and such. :/

Also, after saving my stuff in FBX 2010 everything seemed to be working at the moment. I redid all my rigs and animations (I was gonna redo/tweak them anyways), and made them more FBX friendly by using curve controllers instead of groups.

EDIT: Also, it seems that Apple has open up development using the Game Center API, I wonder when Unity will add this API so we can use it...

36. FierceForm

FierceForm

You can still have Flash content beside (not on top of) the Unity Player, and use it to control the Unity player, to an extent. I believe this has been done in Unity with a medical tool...

37. jonima123

jonima123

Just ONE question: IS UNITY 3 going to be easier than the other Unity ????? :roll:

Please, also include tutorials with all new scripts and stuff...

Thanx :wink:

38. DallonF

DallonF

I sincerely hope you are not implying that Unity 2.x is hard to use.

39. jonima123

jonima123

nonono....i just say...is Unity 3 going to be easier to use?? In interface, building and stuff....Also, can the Unity 2.x resources going to suit on Unity 3??

40. kenlem

kenlem

Unity 3 is 74% easier to use than Unity 2.

41. jonima123

jonima123

oh great...cause with school now, i need to have less time spent and the same job done......THanx for info....

42. zumwalt

zumwalt

Unity 3 is 178% easier to use and 967% cooler, sorry but I had to take away 33% become something in the editor bugged me.

43. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Exactly, the capabilities of Unity and Flash content in the browser together has not changed, you still cannot layer them at the same time but you can still use them in creative ways at the same time. I believe the medical tool you're referring to is the Visible Body, when you view the demo the left area where you select what to see is Flash, the right showing the body/head is Unity.

The documentation is getting updated quite a bit (every script example in every script language), there are a host of new scripts included and we'll be working on Resources updates.

44. aigam

aigam

Somebody has any idea when the 2d will be implemented? I hoped to see them in beta... T_T, but I suspect that this is going to be one of this features that we will only see in some really future version, like 3.5

45. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

It's already been stated (by me) a few times here on the forums that additional 2D features won't appear until some later 3.x release. Whether that's in a 3.1 or more of a 3.5 release is still to be decided. But they'll come in the 3.x family, meaning you'll get them as a free update, just not right out of the gate with 3.0.

46. aigam

aigam

Thks! I searched in the forums, but I have been unable to find this info (is a very specific topic and there are a lot of posts... even with the search engine).

Thks a lot for your reply!

47. Frank_Geppert

Frank_Geppert

I am curious about the bug tickets. Has anybody experiences with it? I filed a bug and I can watch it in the FogBugz system but I dont see any response or progress.

Actually the problem is quite a big one, Beast does not work. It renders in the background but I always get "ti - Assert in file:
    ...\..\Editor\Src\LightmapperBeastRetrieve.cpp at line 66".

I used models with second non-overlapping uv-set in 0-1 uv-space. The same models work fine with lightmaps in UDK.
    I also cannot click the button "generate lightmap uv's". So it must be a general problem. It exists in B6 and B7.

I only want to be sure, that they are aware of this problem.

48. ivkoni

ivkoni

I submitted a bug report for a relatively unimportant bug for Camera.Render() function and I got a reply 10 days later, saying, yes, it is a bug, but why in the world do you want to do this? And I explained. The case is still opened but I know it has been looked at. This is probably the case with your bug. Unity will not contact you unless they have questions, but most likely somebody from QA has looked at it, acknowledged it, and now it's up for the developers to fix it.

How's the corridor pack coming along by the way?
    Almost finished I hope, cuz I need it :)
    Is this bug the only thing preventing you to release it?

49. Frank_Geppert

Frank_Geppert

Thanks ivkoni. So I have to be a bit more patient.

But indeed I wanted to check the files with the Beast light mapper before release. Maybe I just forget about this idea.

But I can assure you that they work fine. I stored a second unique (non-overlapping) uv-set in each DAE, ASE and FBX file. I made a small UDK level this weekend to test them all.
    Besides that the ASE and DTS contain collision detection geometry directly in the model file. For DAE and FBX they are separate files. But I tried in Unity, you can easily make them a child object of the renderable mesh, to work convenient in Unity.

So maybe we release it in the next few days. Actually everything is done.

By the way, I made levels in Unity, C4 and UDK and I indeed prefer Unity for several reasons: I can work faster, I see results in real-time. The result looks better.
    The only thing I did not figure out yet: The character movement in Unity is not smooth. But when I fly through the level within the level editor or when I animate the camera, then it is absolutely smooth. So maybe the controller script is not very good or I did something wrong. From my pure feeling it might be the mouse-look-at script to blame. Maybe it is not completely independent of rendering speed. But this should be solvable.

50. mikesgames

mikesgames

wow... over 1000 replies to this topic now :)

I cant wait. I like the camera preview in the editor :)