Search Unity

Unity 3 and Unity 4

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Mikie, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie

Is it OK to have Unity 4 Pre and Unity 3.5 installed on the same computer?

2. ddfire

ddfire

yes it is ok.

3. Mikie

Mikie

Thanks, I just about have it downloaded.

4. pabu

pabu

What the FAQ forgets to mention is that the OSX installer of the 4.0 beta overwrites the production release. I'll go out on a limb and wager that this is not what most Unity users would want at this stage. Thanks UT for doing the right thing and fixing this so that the next beta installer either let's me choose where to install by default or at least installs in "/Appllications/Unity Beta" rather than of "/Applications/Unity".

Cheers,
    pabu

5. pabu

pabu

I would report this as a bug if the bug reporting tool in 4.0 beta actually worked - *FacePalm*

6. pabu

pabu

And now I did by running the bug reporting tool from outside the editor ;)

7. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

You can avoid the installer overwriting your existing version by renaming your existing version before you install.

8. pabu

pabu

Yes, either tens of thousands of users do this (as a result of searching the forums since it is not in the FAQ or finding out the "hard" way) or one guy/gal at UT changes a single line in the installation builder. While being at it, he/she could perhaps even convince someone at UT to spend $99 at apple.com and sign the application for OSX. Either that, or all Unity users running OSX with default settings can change their system settings to be able to install.

Cheers,
    pabu

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  9. gfoot

gfoot

The release notes imply that this should already have been done:

10. pabu

pabu

Yepp, I saw that also and wondered if I dreamt that I had to change Gate Keeper settings :D

11. triff

triff

I tried renaming the 3.5 folder before installing 4 but 4 (b7) then crashes on making a new project, I'll give it another shot but pretty sure I'll get the same result, Anyone else had this?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  12. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I have installed beta in a whole different volume....my V3 of Unity was wiped out

Does this means that you gotta choose a different location for the Unity folder AND also change the name of the folder, where you originally have it?

No big deal to install again V3, but just to be sure....does Unity installer write anything in other places (like System or Library), where having 2 installations may cause the end of the world as we know it? :)

I am on OSX btw.

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Just change the name of the folder. There's nothing stopping you from having any number of different versions installed at once.

--Eric

14. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Thanks Eric

This means that no matter where do you decide to put Unity 4, if you don't change the folder name of the previous version, it will be removed.

15. Funder75

Funder75

One thing is that it is ok to have several versions installed, but do you need to buy a new 3.x license if you upgraded to version 4?

It's unclear what they exactly mean in the FAQ:
    "A Unity 4 license installed on a computer allows you to have any earlier version of Unity installed on the same computer with as many features that were available at that time. Please contact support for more information."

We have contacted the support a week ago, but are still waiting for an answer.

16. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Not sure what you mean by "updated to Unity4".

If you had Unity 3 before, and you get Unity 4 you can use both (many people purchased the iOS or other packages, so they may want to stick with the V3 release to avoid to spend again the money to purchase the extra packages). If you buy Unity 4 Pro, you don't need Unity3 license.

All that the FAQ says is that you can have both together on the computer (just keep an eye where do you install, or you overwrite the old version with the new).

17. Funder75

Funder75

We do several projects in corporation with other companies that is not about to upgrade to version 4. Therefore we will have to keep those projects to version 3.x.

What I'm asking is, if an upgraded License (from 3 to 4) still works for Unity 3?

/Dan

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  18. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Then you are fine; I also use 3.x for projects that requires it, but for new ones I have also v4

19. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I am also unclear as to what you mean, do you have a case number so I could look up your support ticket.

A license is backwards compatible, so you if bought a 4.x pro license you can download the 3.x editor and use your 4.x license with it, if that's what you mean.

[Edit] I didn't refresh the page, so didn't the ^ replies, doh.

20. Funder75

Funder75

Yep, that is exactly what I mean. Thanks.

21. Nesko

Nesko

I tested to install Unity 4 and keep the old 3.5.x (Windows 7)
    The result is:
    1. There is only one instance of Unity in the list of the installed programs. So automatic/smooth uninstallation of the previous version will be imposible in the future.
    2. Both programs seems like they are using same user profile so if you had opened Unity 4 project next time you are starting Unity 3 it will crash. Couldn't find the work around this so Unity 3 can't be open any more. This is my deduction by the behaviour and could be wrong interpretation of the problems.
    I work at the University as technical stuff and have almost no knowledge about using Unity so please don't assume any "you should know" attitude.
    I just followed the instruction I've got forwarded from the Unity sales about installing Unity 4 along with 3 and it didn't work as expected (more correctly it didn't work at all).
    The question is what to do with Unity 3 crashing.
    Did you fix (in Unity 4) problem with been forced tweaking registry to allow non-admin users to use Unity?