Search Unity

Unity 3.5 Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by NicholasFrancis, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Ohh....interesting

2. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

It would be great to have it. I think if Aras could do it in unity then he might find a real world solution to turn water into beer then he can leave UT and start making $10K per second :))
    @aras_p You are awesome!

3. goat

goat

I hope given my lack of talent one feature that has would be LOD.

4. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

any word on the ETA of the 3.5 update?

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I'm not entirely sure. He made some modifications to his water shaders for the Mothman project, but that doesn't mean they're robust enough to hold up to tests and problems on all the platform/gfx card variations... and that is the truly time consuming part of making these effects for Unity and shipping them in the standard assets. But as Aras said they're not tied to the engine so they could be modified at any time and released on the Asset Store (which is where we're going to start releasing all standard assets so they're not tied to releases).

6. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Interesting news.

However, I notice the OP said "Built-in level of detail support". The omission of the word "auto" requires further clarification. If it's not auto, then this feature is kinda worthless because it could be implemented by most developers in about 30 minutes. What would be newsworthy is if UT have something like Simplygon working that produces auto-LOD models (that retain skinning). Could we have a little elaboration on this please, particularly whether skinning is retained so we can auto-LOD characters.

Is there any tech policy about when Mono will be updated (e.g. 4.0)? Keeping Unity tied to the crappy garbage collection in 2.4 means Unity isn't really ready for AAA titles (if using the built-in GUI and Water4 systems) because of the regular stutter that GC introduces, and is a pretty big Achilles heal. Did someone mention the circa 900MB heap issue that causes crashes?

Shame about the GUI, but at least we can now look to third-party solutions or code our own and resume work on GUI coding.

If there is a god, someone will have written in some hardware cursor support so we can work on RTS projects, or at least stopped Unity fighting the third-party User32 dll's that exist because it resets the cursor every frame (thats a description of what it appears to do rather than an understanding of whats going on under the hood).

7. nipoco

nipoco

This is not an automatic polygon reducer like Simplygon. Only a LOD system. So you have to create your LOD's by hand.

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

Right :)
    But you seem to forget that a new 2D system was slated and hyped for mobile platforms for Unity 3.0 already through a corresponding gamasutra article in winter 2009/2010 to spring 2010 long prior the preorder betas and that for example still has not happened either by christmas 2011.
    And I would assume that many / all who read that back then see a relationship from the new UI and the 2D system cause they go hand in hand and it would be stupid to not build the gui system on top of an optimized and capable 2D system

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  9. taumel

taumel

Hmm, from the list i'm most interested in:

• A ton of small bugfixes.
    • A ton of low level optimizations across the board, including a brand new memory allocation framework that reduces memory usage.
    • Low-level audio buffer access which supports real-time sound generation.
    • Webcam and microphone support.
    • Inspector finally supports multi-object editing. (I wonder if you now also can drag&drop aspects from one object to another?)
    • Automatic navigation mesh generation, path-finding, and crowd simulation.

Why am i not surprised that the GUI system isn't ready yet. :O)
    Sad that the occlusion culling isn't dynamic.
    Oh, someone forgot to include the, promised, 2D system!
    No Ruby?

• A brand new multi-threaded renderer. Unity will offload rendering to a separate core on your CPU, which can be up to 2x faster depending on the scene.

Does that mean that only one additional core will be used? Under which conditions can a CPU core double the speed of the GPU?

And for playing around this could be some fun, the current particle system just sucks.

• Shuriken, our awesome new curve- and gradient-driven modular particle system.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  10. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

I demand you to release 3.5 now!!!! *Waving magic wand

11. janpec

janpec

Exactly, thats what i said before. That isnt really that usefull feature becouse tehre are already some solutions out there in asset store, and it is not going to be auto feature like in Simplygon. I think that it should be called manual LOD system, not auto becouse it is extremely confusing.

12. Demostenes

Demostenes

Please, just dont tell me, that implementation of Umbra was Unity quality too, because then I would be really scared.

13. Zomby138

Zomby138

Aww yeah =D I am totes hyped about probes, RNM, and HDR.

14. Bluestrike

Bluestrike

Mesh painting and decals system not going to make 3.5 either?

15. Bluestrike

Bluestrike

Plenty of people requested this, and I am one of them :p
    Also I prefer hand made lod's as you have far more control over them.
    Modeling tools also have automatic polygon reduction tools.

Now I wonder how simple it will be to add lod models, I hope for a autodetection system like filename_lod1 :)

16. mohydineName

mohydineName

Do we have an ETA for the new GUI system?

17. Afisicos

Afisicos

•Automatic navigation mesh generation, path-finding, and crowd simulation.
    •Inspector finally supports multi-object editing.
    •Webcam and microphone support.

I like this features :p

Good Job Unity!

18. mente

mente

Any details regarding optimizations for versioning?

19. Zomby138

Zomby138

I can has timeframe plz? o.o

KTHXBAI

20. Dreamora

Dreamora

ETA is element of {0,infinity} ;)

21. Zomby138

Zomby138

The elements of {0,infinity} are just zero and infinity. I'm pretty sure you meant (0,infinity) which is the open interval between those values. Additionally, the closed interval is denoted as [0,infinity].

Sincerest apologies for being off topic.

KTHXBAI

22. soren

soren

Yes

23. kenlem

kenlem

Wonderful!

24. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I would like to say thank you to the unity development team and the company overall. You are truely empowering us to make AAA titles with high graphic fidelity. You are giving us a wealth of tools and to be honest some of us make our living off of unity now which would not otherwise be possible with any other game engine. Your company and your team is incredable with top notch support on your forums. I dont think I have ever had a problem that was left hanging. Unity team members would get on it and help me if need be. Again your company, your people, your tools, and these incredable new features are incredable. I cant wait to try out the RNMs :) been waiting forever for that with beast :).

Oh and for whoever said they can implement an lod system of their own in 30 min. Well... I cant... and im happy to save that 30 min if could. Quit your bitching.

PS. any word on the exact day? or can i expect the website to just change one of these mornings.

25. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

So is this Pro only or not?

26. Tseng

Tseng

Most probably, as the current "SVN friendly" Project architecture is Pro only too. Even though I'd love to see it in the Free too. Makes it especially hard for indie devs to have more than 1 person working on the project...

27. taumel

taumel

28. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

YAY! Can't wait for this release - it includes all the stuff I need most for my upcoming projects. It's unfortunate that the new GUI system will have to wait, but I've gotten pretty used to building my own systems for that at this point.

Can you tell us if it will have Cinema 4D R13 auto-import support in this release?

29. alewinn

alewinn

"Text based scene and prefab formats make it possible to merge scene files."

Luv ! <3

30. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Sorry guys, we're not ready to announce the feature parity between free/pro in 3.5 quite yet.

As always, some people will be elated by what made it into free and some people will be frustrated by the fact that the one new feature they want is on the wrong side of the fence.

I will tease a bit though and say that a lot of the "goodies" made it into free and that at least one existing feature hopped the fence and will now be in free ;-)

31. Tseng

Tseng

Please for gods sake, let it be the SVN support... even though I haven't found any traces of it in the current 3.5 beta

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I hope aNTeNNa trEE will forgive me when I say I can reveal another feature that hopped the fence from pro to free for 3.5: and that is beer. That's right, you're able to actually make water look a bit more like beer if you put some effort into it. Joking aside, can't wait..... please make this release soon, and make sure that nifty light probes shader is on asset store ;)

33. Mishaps

Mishaps

Great news about the update! Shame about no new GUI yet... I've been wait ages for it. I do like that they want to do a good job of it tho... and not push out something half-baked.

34. Enzign

Enzign

We have been using EZ Gui for our GUI work. It's sweet i have to say. Has saved us tons of hours, so it was absolutely worth the price.

35. Dreamora

Dreamora

pro only or potentially even Asset Server licensee only (new likely to be called Team License cause the cache server and the new versioning capabilities mentioned at Unite etc were mentioned to be AS only too)

And I agree on EZGUI - still about the sweetest thing I have (GUIX was the other great thing but it has trouble in U3)

36. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Welp, that's it. If that's true I gotta find a new automated backup tool. SVN really doesn't play well with the metadata of Unity non-Pro. Anyone know of a good, free incremental/delta backup tool that works on Mac and Windows? One that acts like SVN wherein previous backups are still available?

I don't care about collaborative features for now, even if the backup tool had it, its really not gonna work given the binary files of Unity non-Pro.

37. AaronC

AaronC

Only TimeMachine on Mac but if you have a reminder of some sort to close and zip project-name zip via date and if required time, sync with dropbox you can archive stuff manually with online backup, but its blunt and requires manual attention.

TimeMachines good, its saved me a couple of times, but now I use dropbox so havent needed TimeMachine backups for awhile.

EDIT: Missed your SVN point. Nope, maybe theres something Open Source being developed?

AC

38. monark

monark

I wonder if anyone on the dev team can comment on whether existing GUI code will just work with the new GUI once it does arrive or will it need a total re-write?
    I think this question is crucial for everyone planning work in the short to mid term. Do we need to look at 3rd party solutions in order to start or can we just plough on with unity GUI and switch once the new gui system does turn up.

39. taumel

taumel

I wonder how people would react if there would be a new feature only being available in Indie instead of Pro.

I suspect shadows finally jumped into Indie.

40. Dreamora

Dreamora

did that situation ever exist or could it? doubt so, cause even stuff that requires AS is not like this cause AS is a pro only addon, you can't buy it on top of free / basic mobile licenses

41. Pulov

Pulov

To me, the feature list looks excellent, even if some felt from the list (for a while).

Still cant guess at all what the scene merging means>>> if it is a merge in its purst mean or if it will be an X-ref like merging.

I dying for giving it a test to the oclusion, to see if it finally gets usable with BIG scenes.

HDR+tonemapping-- oohhh awesome.

42. taumel

taumel

@Dreamora
    Nope, but i like it as an idea and to imagine possible consequences. ;O)

Btw. i expect a Unity to be released this week.

43. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I suddenly imagined a plump little gentleman with monocles looking at his stopwatch. Anticipating the release of 3.5 as if it was the next batch of shipments of spices from his venture business.

"By the way, I expect Unity to be released this week. Quickly now! I have appointments to make! Chop-chop!"

44. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hmm.. Shadows are my guess.
    Theres no point on keeping shadows for Pro only anymore, almost all free engines have that, if not all of them.

45. ivanzu

ivanzu

+1,but that would probably mean something getting cut out from indie.

46. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Not necessarily. It may just mean Pro gets more features.

47. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

heres hoping that it comes out before christmas.. My guess is there going to wait til christmas day or new years day to release it :p

48. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am looking very forward to the update of Unity 3.5, especially the features of HDR and tonemapping which are ideal for giving games a feel of realism (I'm praying HDR makes it into Unity Free especially since I build HDR sky maps from Vue)...and I hope the ability to have beer in Unity also.

My question is will this update fix issues like the cloth renderer not rendering the shaders properly? I have a model that has cloth on it and it only renders the cloth properly if I have skinned cloth on it... i will try and get a pic of it...

Bottom line, I will definitely enjoy having the Unity banner on my projects proudly... :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  49. Tseng

Tseng

Unity always kept the old features intact when adding new. I guess for rest of the 3.x Product line the old GUI code will still be usable and deprecated in 4.0 release. It's just a "minor release", means only the 2nd digit of the version changes, hence the it must remain backwards compatible with all the other 3.x Versions.

Currently the Scenes are binary files. Binary files can't be merged. The new one probably going to be text files, which can be merged. That's all. Small change, huge effect.

50. Moonjump

Moonjump

I thought the old iOS occlusion culling system got dropped when the new occlusion culling system was introduced? And if I am remembering correctly, it was not a pro-only feature. So I wonder if that is what is crossing over from pro?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
unityunity