Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. We are updating our Terms of Service for all Unity subscription plans, effective October 13, 2022, to create a more streamlined, user-friendly set of terms. Please review them here: unity.com/legal/terms-of-service.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3.5 under Windows 10...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by bigkahuna, Aug 9, 2017.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I'm setting up Unity 3.5.7f6 (Pro) on a new computer running the latest update to Windows 10. (Yes, I know this is a (very) old version of Unity but I need to try to make this work.) I'm posting my experiences here in the hopes that it might help anyone else who needs to do this and in case anyone has any fixes for the issue I'm running into.

I've been mostly successful with the installation: I've set the "Compatibility" setting for Unity.exe to "Windows 7" and I've had to ignore the "64 bit hot fix" warning because it isn't Windows 10 compatible.

Unity works pretty well, the only issue is that it takes forever to launch (over 2 minutes on an i7 with SSD). I'm still searching for a fix to this. The only thing I've found is that if I launch the Windows Task Manager immediately after Unity, Unity launches immediately. Weird. I'm wondering if it might be an issue related to Windows Defender?

2. orb

orb

The startup time issue could simply be a side-effect of the installer being so old it isn't aware of any new automatic whitelisting, either for Defender or the firewall. Try searching for either issue for software in general. There might be some policy stuff you can fiddle with.

bigkahuna likes this.
  3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Thanks orb. Whitelisting Unity.exe in Defender cut the launch time from 2 minutes to 30 seconds. Still pretty slow but a big improvement over before.

unityunity