Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3.5 no new GUI system? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by Rensoburro_Taki, Oct 2, 2011.

?

New GUI System in Unity 3.5?

Poll closed Dec 1, 2011.
  1. Very Important for me! A must have!

87.7%
  2. Not so important for me anyway!

4.3%
  3. 3rd party solutions are enough for my requirements!s

2.1%
  4. 3rd party solutions are perfekt for my requirements!

1.3%
  5. The integrated GUI system is good enough for me!

4.7%
  1. foxter888

foxter888

i think it would be better than instead of directly replacing the unity OnGUI and it's functions to leave it and do as same as shurinken like add on top of it then on later versions take out the whole OnGUI system so it's easy for the rest of the people to transition to the new gui system, still i do want to get to try out the new system there are lots of things in which the gui seems hard to deal with like for example there is not an easy way to implement gui according to resolution, if this was done in background it would be a breakthrough lol, things like tooltips are ok to implement but once you try doing something like a inventory system you will run into lots of things like ovelaping of the art and such.
    sometimes the garbage collector goes crazy when some stuff are done inside the OnGUI function making things glicht or what we call hicups.

2. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

I understand why they had to leave it out of 3.5, but what frustrated me is that I am at a point in dev where I need to remove my current GUI system (which uses Unity's built in system) and replace with something new. Now do I purchase a solution or wait? Very hard to decide until there is an ETA for it...

One thing I have been thinking lately is that the reason the beta is taking so long is because they are sneaking the GUI system back in to surprise us all - the beta I am using seems very stable at the moment.

3. jashan

jashan

I was in the same situation and it really was annoying ... so, I went with NGUI for now and this looks like a really decent solution.

Don't hold your breath. The beta takes long because they have a hell of a lot of new features they packed in even without the new GUI system. What I'm really hoping for is that they'll have a 3.6 release with just the new GUI system and some polishing of existing features (like Substances properly being supported on mobile devices and the like).

4. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

Yeah I know it won't be in there, just wishful thinking...=(

5. SevenBits

SevenBits

One lesson software developers frequently learn is to never trust anyone's word on adding any new features.

If this new GUI system was a simple update, it would have been done ages ago. So, it must be something larger, more complicated, and probably worth the wait.