Search Unity

Unity 3.5 GUI Preview?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by sagron6015, Nov 15, 2011.

1. sagron6015

sagron6015

Would it be possible to get a preview of the new GUI system that's scheduled for release in 3.5? I know it wasn't deemed ready for previewing at the Unite, but I'd like to see something even if it's basic. I'm talking screenshots, videos, a mocked-up tutorial, anything really... I would like to see a bit more information on the new system so I can get some idea of what developing a gui using the new system is going to be like.

2. duke

duke

Seconded

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

it was stated multiple times by UT staff that the new gui might not make it into 3.5 at all so I guess we will see more on it when its clear that it happens for 3.5 cause it will otherwise be pushed to 3.6 or whatever and appear in the preview information for that then.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I hope texture streaming comes soon. It can't come soon enough IMHO! :)

5. Lypheus

Lypheus

Ya it does feel like this is being developed in a vacuum where the Unity3D community is concerned, I'm surprised they haven't leveraged an RFC style process similar to the Java JCP/JSR approach: http://jcp.org/en/home/index. Anyhow, I won't say i'm skeptical here - the Unity3D folks haven't really disappointed much in the past, but I do agree with the OP that a more transparent approach to where they are going with the GUI would be useful, if not an open RFC process.

6. mindlube

mindlube

That seems to be the opposite of Unity Technologies: they hire a few of the best engineers and artists, lock them in a castle on an island in Scandinavia somewhere, and feed them lots of booze and red bull and voila: awesome product gets shipped. :) :) (just kidding- although I am not a fan of design-by-committee. But I'm just as eager as you all to get a taste/preview of how the new gui system will work).

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

Hey that way of working (replace booze with fruit joice and red bull with something with enough caffeine to make a difference) is still one of the most productive and happiest ways of working ;)
    if I now had the freedom to have UTs friday principle, payed, where they can experiment with stuff on their own (or could if they would - I remember reading that its not done as much anymore as in old days unluckily) then that would be heaven :)