Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3.4 upgrade issues and how to avoid them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Captain-Mike, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Captain-Mike

Captain-Mike

I have been using unity for a few years now and every-time there is a major upgrade it causes havoc with developers in The midst of there game.

If you noticed I used the words midst of there games I personally believe you should not upgrade if you are over thirty percent into development of your game.

If you feel you just have to get unity's new Toy perhaps wait awhile for the Unity Team to get to grips with some of the unforeseen bugs that pop up from a big update and then take the plunge.

I also feel it is important that Unity clearly put out warnings about major releases and what it may do to your projects
    and yes I know they do however it's never in big bold print somewhere pretty close to the download button...I usually find the documentation about what havoc it might cause after I have upgraded and searching for ways to fix my project.

But on a less Victor Meldew note...Thanks for the new Update Unity Team! I shall be downloading in a month or two.....

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

If it was printed in a sign with flashing red neon, that physically reached out of the monitor and hit people over the head repeatedly, it would still be ignored. People who read warnings, read the warnings, and people who ignore everything, ignore everything. Bold print won't make any difference I'm afraid.

--Eric

3. larvantholos

larvantholos

Clearly when you hit the download button a dialogue should pop up, making the screen go dark, warning of the terrible thing you are about to bring upon yourself.... As told by an instructional character who chimes it all to cheesy camp music so there is no confusion.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Ah, but that can't be always the case. What if the new release has a fix for a bug that is a showstopper for your game? Don't upgrade is not always an option.

Being prepared that things might break is sound advice though, and people should be prepared to lose some dev time trying to fix things.

5. Ullukai

Ullukai

LOL larvantholos ! addiction to unity aint it ? anyways, i always make backups of my game project after a major overhaul so that i can go back to that and not nothing :) i saved months of work by doing that :) there are always bugs or errors that pop up sooner or later

6. vortex69

vortex69

But then, the next release, that will fix this releases bugs will have new bugs. So you'll wait and wait, version upon version until the end of times ;)

But yeah, never update on the first day, wait a couple of weeks, so other poor souls will test it and say what horrible bugs lurk on the latest version, if your project is reasonably "evolved" just ignore new versions unless they fix a bug more important to you than the ones it introduces.

unityunity