Search Unity

Unity 3.4 launched!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by AngryAnt, Jul 26, 2011.

1. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

3.4.1 is live.

That is all ;)

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

:)

So is 3.4.1f5 the final release or was there a f6?

3. Wahooney

Wahooney

4. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

f5 is final.

5. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Can you talk about Pathfinding UI framework?
    An little more info about wow Pathfinding is gona be.
    And UI framework is gona work? (Drag e drop style or Wath you see you wath you get(WYSIWYG) editor)?
    Sorry for language errors:(.

6. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

We do not have any new info to share on 3.5 at this point. Stay tuned.

7. Tiles

Tiles

*stays tuned*

8. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

9. wbl1

wbl1

How can we go back to Unity 3.3 Pro?

10. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

I stay tuned:)

11. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Me too! ;)

12. konkol

konkol

Downolad button is still not working...

13. thpetsen

thpetsen

*SIGH* Still not tested very well, I was expecting at least some of the showstoppers to be fixed.

In MonoDevelop I still get the error:
    access to path 'c:\Documents' is denied (Assembly-UnityScript)

when compiling any project with proejct files generated from Unity 3.4.x
    (I did report this bug, and yes the directory exist and it is writeable)

So back to 3.3 for me too

14. tertle

tertle

Seems 3.4.1 seems to have a few editor crash fixes so here's to hoping it fixes my frequent crashes.

-edit-

3 hours, no crash... yay! (w7 x64)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  15. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Still getting crashes on play. Still just crashing without the ability to send a bug report.. <shrug>

Was working in editor and testing for 2 hours tonight, got 5 crashes.

Cant see that anything has changed in that regard.

Windows 7 64 bit.

Graham

16. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

If you check the 3.4.1 changes page, you'll find exactly what has been fixed.

Notice that if you're having better results using the version of MonoDevelop shipped with 3.3, there's nothing wrong with using that with the 3.4.1 editor.

No reason to burn your harddrive and run away screaming at the first sign of trouble ;)

I assume you've submitted a bug report regarding your MonoDevelop issue? Could you paste the case# here?

17. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

You're certain you successfully installed 3.4.1? If the bug reporter does not launch after a crash, please launch it manually from the Unity install folder (before re-launching the editor) and submit a report there.

18. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Will do tonight when I get to play again :)

Thanks

Regards

Graham

19. thpetsen

thpetsen

Thanks for the optimistic words !
    It made me re-test the issue. (filed a new Case 420395).
    This time I installed 3.4.1 on a vanilla XP, that has never seen any Unity nor MonoDevelop before. Unfortunately w. same result, more details in the case.

20. x4000

x4000

This issue is still present in 3.4.1, making it yet another unusable runtime version for my company.

Sigh. Is there some way to pay Unity to fix certain bugs? This is super frustrating -- our games generate mid six figure income, are on Steam, and so on, and yet we can't get this and a number of other simple bugs fixed. I get endless bug reports from players about alt-tab functionality, about some similar issues related to the Steam overlay, about the poor multimonitor handling, and a few other related things. In all cases I have to keep saying "Sorry, the unity engine doesn't support this."

It's really quite annoying, and speaking as someone who previously had released-on-Steam games coded in a custom engine before porting them to Unity, I can definitely say that all the issues I'm referring to should likely be really fast things to fix if only someone would actually LOOK at them.

I'm no stranger to having more bug reports / feature suggestions come in than the staff can handle; I think my own "idea tracker" is sitting at something like 3,000 open items at the moment, and it grows every day. But this is for a consumer product; what you guys are offering is something that is very core to my business, and I don't want to be getting dinged in reviews or having customers submitting bug reports and eating up our staff time because of something easily fixable in the underlying engine.

Unity is still the best solution around hands-down, but the inability to get support for fairly simple -- but important -- issues like this is really hurting the professionalism of the engine. I'm not even talking about editor crashes (which it does, three times or more a day on 3.3), because those don't impact my customers and it's just a brief annoyance. I'm talking about stuff that directly annoys my customers, or makes it so that my products can't use the latest version of the engine without a major rewrite of our sound subsystem that has worked since Unity 2.61.

Help?

21. sleglik

sleglik

22. Waz

Waz

That's what I did (actually just bought a new machine, still Win7/64), and I haven't had any major problems since. I still reckon it was Unity not liking the timing of my SSD, but I'll never really know now.

23. Agrios

Agrios

Well, with 3.41 my crashes went down from 20 to 10 a day, but still is sad.
    Now freezes whole Windows XP 32 machine on exit and on builds.

24. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

If it's that important you could license the source-code for Unity and fix them yourself, or write native code that Unity calls to deal with some of your user issues, or rewrite your Unity code to not do the problematic calls. Have you at least tried the paid support for some of your problems?

25. x4000

x4000

No, I suppose I will have to get in contact with their paid support.

26. zumwalt

zumwalt

Recommendation, if the fix list doesn't have something that you need, do not upgrade to this fix, wait for the next release.
    Always keep a copy of the prior versions of Unity on your hard drive so you can easily re-install with zero down time.

27. x4000

x4000

Even better, install new versions into a different directly so that you can run both at once. That's what I do to test out new versions.

28. ikiman

ikiman

Sorry if this was answered yet, but I found a weird thing with 3.4.1.

In an empty scene (only a camera, no skybox, blue background) it is reporting 120 fps in my machine in the stats of the game view, while 3.3 reports 1400 fps same as 3.2.

3.4.1 is reporting almost the same fps for an empty scene as for one I setup with terrain, reflective water, lens flares, and some lowpoly models.

Did it happen to you?

Thank you

29. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Yeah, that took me by surprise at first too. A couple things were changed in 3.4 that effected the frame rate reported in the editor (off the top of my head): one is that they apparently made the value it reports more "accurate" and they modified the quality settings so that v-sync is now on by default in most of the higher quality settings (which limits the frame rate to 60 fps). The bottom line is that although the reported frame rate seems lower performance is (in most cases for me at least) actually faster than before.

30. ikiman

ikiman

Thank you bigkahuna, that's it, without v-sync it is reporting 1600 fps.

I didn't pay attention to that, now the test scene with terrain and stuff reports almost 300 fps.

31. mckertis

mckertis

Listen, you Unity people, stop being intentionally obtuse and dont put the demo project in Document&Settings without asking fist. Is it really THAT hard to fix the path in the installer ? And yet it persists. Dont do it anymore, its retarded ! Get it ?

GET IT ??
    Either that, or just put the damn thing on example projects. But nooo...

32. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Us Unity People don't understand your concern I'm afraid. The example project is an optional install. You can indeed just grab it from the asset store if you like.

33. Hoff

Hoff

Shhh AngyAnt, don't confuse him with facts and logic :)

34. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

Mckertis, manners are free, just like Unity. I suggest you download and install some of them, perhaps overwrite the selfish git part of your brain if you're low on grey matter.

Big thanks to the unity team on the 3.4.2 bug fixes and improvements. =)

35. Agrios

Agrios

Bug fixes? can't say... can't run it long enough.
    For me it is a bad Halloween joke.

Since I had to reboot on every compile I went to Costco and purchased the best PC they have which happen to be HP.

Cleaned disk and installed Windows XP SP3.
    Installed VS2008 and Unity 3.4.2 with Mono.
    On the very first run - hung solid when play button was pushed.

Restarted and attempted to switch off some prefabs only to learn that now I can't actually click buttons twice in the row to roll down and up options. I have to click somewhere in different spot to roll it back up.
    In GUI texture Pixel Inset X value - my mouse now kind of got life of its own and jumps out of it.

Then I learned that couple of scripts which I dragged between directories actually were copied instead of moved and now generate duplicate script warnings. So I laboriously clicked my way around only to learn that I will not be able to test it, whole thing is frozen solid.

On restart got "Screen position out of view frustum (screen pos 128.000000, 0.000000, 1000000.000000) (Camera rect 0 0 128 128)
    which I have not seen since version 2.x and remembering how to deal with this one - maximized window and switched to Tall Layout to learn that now switching between Game and Scene does absolutely nothing and pushing F to focus on game elements work only sometimes.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  36. HolBol

HolBol

I've got bugs, and I've reported them.

Mainly when waking up from windows 7 32bit after it's been in sleep mode with the Editor open. When the PC wakes up, nothing apart from the menu bar works in Unity. Requires a reboot of the editor.

Sometimes when switching between Unity and other apps, Gizmos will just disappear from the scene view. Also, panned 3d audo, at it's highest level, Mutes the sound!

This wasn't much of a bug fix, to be honest.

37. Jethro

Jethro

Installed 3.4.2 yesterday, and ever since, my iPhone terrain detail grass only shows up right in front of the camera like 1 meter away.
    Works ok in editor, but on iPod or iPad has the fault, this was working before. Just not sure when it broke, but I'm pretty sure after installed 3.4.2 over top of 3.4.1 .

Dam just downgraded back to 3.4.1 but its still broken.

This was working once ??????

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  38. u3djqh

u3djqh

but when I enter into the page "http://unity3d.com/unity/download/download-windows" I can't find a button to download the Unity3.4, I don't know why?

39. fox

fox

mac: download.unity3d.com/download_unity/unity-3.4.2.dmg
    win: download.unity3d.com/download_unity/UnitySetup-3.4.2.exe

40. u3djqh

u3djqh

think you very much for your quick help, Fox. now I can download the file. but nextly I guess I do not know how to get the free license. Can you give me a help? thanks again.

41. Shardz

Shardz

I'm on version 3.1 with things running stable and steady, and this is where I plan on staying until all these issues are cleared up. I've seen so many technical issues come up regarding lack of audio, crashes etc. that I cannot see updating to introduce Unity related problems into my projects. This also limits my ability to visit the store since they refuse to create a web version of the Asset Store so that we can purchase items like adults instead of like DLC in some sloppy console port. I would think that *global* issues which affect us all such as PlayOneshot would be much higher priority than yet another slew of iFixes. And with the advent of the iPhone4 coming...I can already foresee UT being completely captivated with yet more mountains of iProblems while basic functions go unaddressed...and for quite some time now.

I also don't feel that X4000 should seek out paid customer support for inquiring about global functionality issues which affect all users, not just the Chosen iOnes. I'm happily plugging away at my minute little level over here, but some companies are really relying on Unity to make a living and these are some big showstopping problems that need the 911 treatment immediately. I'm more than willing to share the road with other platforms, but it seems the lion's share of fixes lately is ALL iStuff (and that little Android Guy, too!) with little else addressed.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  42. x4000

x4000

Shardz -- I'm on version 3.3, and have found that to be stable insofar as public releases are concerned. And it only crashes maybe 3 times a day on me in the editor, so that's not too bad. It's worth the upgrade from 3.1, I'd say.

Regarding contacting paid support, I did wind up sending them three inquiries several weeks back -- and never received any support. So I guess I could contact their custom development group and see if they actually respond to inquiries, but for now we've just decided to recode our audio system to not use the WWW class. That has worked out well, albeit wasting some bandwidth for our updates to customers, but we still have not upgraded to Unity 3.4 since we're unsure about the stability there and we know that at least with version 3.3 we're not impacting our customers negatively.

Like you, I'm more than a bit frustrated. I don't develop for iOS or consoles, but on the PC side of things I'm a pretty well-known indie developer. There's almost never a month that goes by without one or two articles going up on gaming sites about my company's stuff. I don't mind not having instant fixes to problems -- these guys have a business to run, too. But as a business customer I expect to be able to get business support if I need it. Community self-help is fine to a point, and especially for hobbyists using the free version of unity that makes perfect sense, but for people who purchase unity pro there should be some expectation of a few support incidents, especially when it's bugs in the product rather than user error.

For years I was a Microsoft Partner, and that gave five free incidents per year. I can recall having some issues with MS Exchange where they kept escalating the issue from low-down support all the way up to their developer team once it became clear it was a bug. Then when they verified the bug in their SMTP stack, they refunded the incident to me (if I had paid it would have been a monetary refund, but in the case of this one since it was free to start they just gave me another incident back to use if I needed). It was a long and arduous process with MS, and I don't think I used more than two or three incidents in five years of being a partner with them, but there was always the feeling of being able to get critical defects fixed if I had to.

Here... I'm not sure I have that feeling. Having the option of contacting their custom development group gives me some hope that I could solve the problem if I really had to, but by and large the bugs that prevent us from upgrading to the latest version are something we simply have to wait months and months for them to even acknowledge. Meanwhile, simple things like proper multimonitor handling (mouse capture, disabling the second monitor while playing, etc) are absent from the engine and there's not really a way to get those addressed without paying for custom support. Meanwhile, I get at least one bug report a month (and lately more) in my own bug tracker from players who think this is an issue with my game, rather than something that the unity engine simply doesn't address.

There aren't a lot of things I really feel like Unity is lacking, but there is a shortlist of basic things that affects usability on windows and OSX machines, and having no recourse whatsoever to get them addressed is... frustrating. When a player is playing along and then accidentally gets shunted to the desktop because of clicking outside the window on a multimonitor system, it's really frustrating for them; and it's frustrating for me not to be able to do anything to help them with it without resorting to native OS calls that may or may not have problems on specific OSes or specific future versions of Unity.

/rant I really love Unity as a product, it bears saying, but it's a frustrating company to work with. Rather than feeling like a valued professional partner, I feel like I'm treated as some sort of novice hobbyist who isn't really serious about what he's doing.

43. Agrios

Agrios

x4000,
    the same here. Switched back to Unity 3.3 and today was my happy day - only 3 reboots.
    UT is getting excited with the new stuff coming in 3.5 so I don't expect bug fixes for some time.
    Seems like now the trend is to stuff more into Unity framework and making it work is not a priority.

44. atmuc

atmuc

i also sent several emails to inquire about xbox and ps3 license. there is no response !!!

45. zumwalt

zumwalt

Just drop a bug report, granted bugzilla or what ever it is, does actually have a limit, I ran into it I think a year or so ago and I get zero tickets back from the system once I hit that threshold, replacing the bug system is not even on a priority list at all as far as I know, however, that being said, the tickets do get generated. I have several that I have sent in where there was a ticket but no response, I think this is because they simply are very busy folks. Post your issues also in the threads besides turning in reports, this way maybe the community as a whole can help to figure it out.

My social networking portion of my game is nearing completion but without a fix to the pixel offset problem I am having with U3, I can't release the game, no big deal for me, this wasn't a profit version of the game but more of the part to get people used to what it is and how to play it.

If it is critical, just call them, they are very responsive on the phone, number is running around the forums somewhere.
    They really are a great bunch of people, just got to know the way to get something rolling sometimes.