Search Unity

Unity 3.4 launched!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by AngryAnt, Jul 26, 2011.

1. dexsoft-games

dexsoft-games

Thnx guys, great version

2. U2

U2

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

4. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Many many crash on windows seven 64bits.
    It crash at least 10 times every days. Most of the time after I push the "Play" button.

There is still many crashes for the "find in files" in monodevelop.

You should have a windows seven 64 bits to chek theses issues.

5. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

As mentioned, please no "+1"s on the Windows stability problem. We're aware of the issue and have a team on creating a fix - working together with people form the mono project.

You'll have a fix as soon as we've verified it.

6. ole

ole

Unity programmer

argh, for some reasons, the old reflective/refractive water got left out in the final rc. it was supposed to ship. i agree that it's actually quite simple and useful. anyhow, it'll be bundled again together with some more fixes as soon as we have moved all standard assets to the asset server. which should happen very soon :). from then on we can easily fix and upgrade whatever is needed and whenever there is time.

if you want full ocean support now, i agree, have a look at the community ocean shader. it's really nice (although a little heavy on the CPU side). however, small rivers, lakes or toilets could be implemented more efficiently. the existing water prefabs can give you ideas how to do so.

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

@ole - Whew, that's a relief about the old reflective / refractive water. I was worried that you were going to drop support for it. Regarding water4 vs the community ocean water, could you add/expose a waterheight value like you did in water3? That way people can add buoyancy to it (which would be useful for any kind of water you may want).

8. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Ok Thanks!

9. scarpelius

scarpelius

I've found a way to stay safe from crashes on Win7 64 :)
    For me at least they appear if I switch too fast from script editing an hit play button. It seems that unity editor need a bit of the time to recompile the scripts and if you happens to hit play in the middle of that operation is going to crash without any error.
    So is easy to educate yourself to wait a bit until that operation is completed. I also found helpful to keep an unused variable in one of the scripts; that way you are going to see the yellow warning in Console and you know you are safe to hit play :D

10. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I can confirm that if you let unit sit for a few seconds before hitting play, the crash will not appear.

11. msickle

msickle

I have a couple of game designs that could use the more polished future water. Would love more control on the making reflections less reflective, as real water is often not polished like chrome when choppy and dirty.

I have also experienced some stuttering in editor only (restarting editor removes it.)

Now, having said all that, I am a Pro user and I am happy for the time and money I have invested using and learning Unity. Some may be critical of multiple things but I would say Unity the best solution out there for rapid game development, warts and all, and keep up the good work.

12. Vandash

Vandash

Yes indeed, I reported this very fact a long time ago to the Unity team, in details... This sounds like a simple problem really, and if I didn't pay 3000€ I wouldn't mind, but with the price Unity Pro is charging, having this kind of bug running SO LONG is not acceptable.

It's been what ? A month since we had that bug ? Pathetic.

13. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Quite often the simplest seeming problems can be the hardest to find, let alone fix. It is obviously a serious issue, and I am quite certain they are wrecking there brains trying to figure it out.

Pathetic? Completely depends on the circumstances, which we do not know.

14. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

@Vandash:
    Trust me - if it had been a simple issue, we would have done a corrective release as soon as we had the report ;)

We have made great progress on a fix and 3.4.1 should be in your hands not very long from now.

15. niesel

niesel

The FPS Controller is giving me some trouble... looking around with the mouse works just fine - but neither WSAD nor the arrow keys work.

The project was built with Unity 3.3. Currently I use Unity 3.4.0f5.

So far I've tried i) reimporting the FPS controller's scripts the Controller asset and ii) reinstalling Unity - both times Fortuna failed me. Maybe the joke is on me - what am I missing here?

(I already posted this in Unity Support. Sorry for re-posting but time is a-ticking for me since I need to finish my game very soon for the sake of my diploma thesis.)

edit:
    ...seems to be the project settings (maybe they got "scrambled" during the update?)
    ....my solution: I created a new project in Unity 3.4, exported the scenes from the old project as a Unity package imported them in the new project - then the FPS controller works as it should :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  16. Agrios

Agrios

On my setup (WinXP) it is not Play button problem, but auto refresh problem.
    I felt like I am clicking too fast, so I turned it off.
    When auto refresh is turned off, almost every time I try to refresh with Ctrl + R
    it works for couple of seconds and freezes.

17. Waz

Waz

Yes, that one seems to come back every so often for me too - every second or so (at quite a regular beat) a pause of the whole editor for 0.2 seconds or so, yes? Seems quite frequent this release, but I've seen it occasionally over the last year or so. Probably nothing new in 3.4.0.

Absolutely. Personally, I would prefer stability improvements to new features, but I assume some people somewhere have a different opinion on that.

18. syedhs

syedhs

Thank you..seriously unity is a great product but great product can be hampered with bugs that can easily be reproduced. I was half-expecting that you guys just go on with 3.5.. lol

19. imtrobin

imtrobin

How come the beta testing never these issues? Perhaps the beta testers needs more audience.

20. TheCasual

TheCasual

OMG.... unity is awsome , but yesterday alone ..... 35+ crashes , almost every ten minutes , (i have gottten in a subconcious habit of saving work with the touch of every key.) But yea , i love unity , but this current version has some serious, serious issues with stability atm.

21. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

That paranoid habit of saving will come in handy one day. Trust me.

I had a CS teacher in highschool that would kill the main power in the room and say "hope you all saved". That was back before most people knew that doing such a thing could harm a computer (IIRC we were using AutoCad R10 on DOS boxes). Of course this was when CS teachers in high-school were usually picked because they were the lest afraid of the tech, not because they actually knew anything about it.

22. runonthespot

runonthespot

I personally think Unity, Free is amazing. Even IOS basic is amazing and I can't express my love for Unity3d in general enough.

That said, I didn't think I'd ever need Pro... until I tried it.

Curiously, the two things that will absolutely kill me when my pro trial license expires will be:
    1) Version control friendliness
    2) Profiling

Admittedly, as targeting IOS, most of the shinier effects aren't really for IOS anyway, so I won't miss them.

I'm curious to all the people in the various camps in the free/cheaper vs YouHaveAGreatDealNowShaddup crowds, is profiling really a luxury feature, and is the ability to version your own work or collaborate with others really only suited to professionals? Can amateurs/hobbyists not jam together?

23. x4000

x4000

@AngryAnt: Any word on the PlayOneshot crash bugs in Unity 3.4? We're using Unity Pro for all our games -- two on Steam, plus three expansion packs, and now working on beta of our third game -- and the crash bug in PlayOneshot means that we can't upgrade to Unity 3.4 until that is fixed. This isn't an occasional crash in the editor, this is a reliable runtime crash that happens in our games under Unity 3.4 within seconds of starting them.

I submitted a bug report and mentioned this in two threads, but have heard nothing. Is this also likely to be addressed in 3.4.1?

Love Unity by the way, we've been using it since 2.61 and ported our first two titles to it, and it's been just an incredible platform despite the occasional hiccup. Very much kudos.

24. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

This was posted 2 weeks ago, any chance you could narrow down "not very long from now" any more?

Just a simple "It's still days/weeks/months away" would be nice.

25. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Has anyone gotten an issue with the interactive cloth not lighting correctly... I am doing a project and I need interactive cloth because it supports collision, but the one thing that it is killing me is the fact that the cloth rendering looks nothing like the skinned mesh version (which is properly lit)...

Also in my scene, the cloth is all of a sudden acting crazy... with Unity 3.5 allow colliders on skinned cloth (think of how Maya and XSI do the cloth) because at this point the cloth looks proper...but no collisions.

Here are some captures to prove it. And I am using shaders that I made in Strumpy... this has been bugging me for a long while now.

Attached Files:

26. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hey,

Can you validate that this is indeed an issue with unity by checking with some of the built in shaders. If it is log a bug. If it is a bug in SSE then ping the SSE thread.

27. Arowx

Arowx

I'm guessing that they are pushing for release 3.5 at Unite 2011, probably with Flash Export it could be worth waiting for (as long as the bug fixes make it into the build).

28. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

No, I highly doubt they would wait till 3.5 to post a fix that stops the engine crashing every time the play button is pressed. There will almost definitely be a 3.4.1.

29. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Man, I play Angry Bots on Android and it was awesome! Good job UT!

30. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

What looks like it will be the final release candidate of 3.4.1 has hit our beta testers. Sorry about the delay on this one, but we're including additional fixes besides the mono crash on windows.

31. x4000

x4000

That is definitely excellent news!

32. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Awesome, thanks!

33. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I will try this real quick with a built in shader first... I used a regular bumped specular and it looked okay, but I will log this in SSE if something is off

34. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

Great info thanks. I reckon delays aren't an issue for most - just being kept up to date on how things are progressing makes any wait more pleasant.

:D

35. paperab

paperab

Just glad to inform the forum (because a bug pad is not available) that I went back with Unity 3.3 pro because 3.4 is always crashing.

36. gamesurgeon

gamesurgeon

Thanks for letting us know.

But with all seriousness, whats a "bug pad"?

37. paperab

paperab

Why discuss about terminology while a real problem arise?
    Man, if you don't miss a list of bugs and a proper versioning of Unity3d, well, this is your problem. No mine. Usually a version with bugs is blocked, patched etc. In particular if this version is a PAID one.

Now, please, go for google and search for pad (big pads).

38. paperab

paperab

...and more, do you think people waste their time to write here if a proper versioning is realised/ready to be used ?

Thanks

39. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

@paperab

Why the harsh response? The question was perfectly valid. I didn't know what a bug pad was, and I am sure a lot of others didn't either. Seriously, be a little nicer.

40. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I don't know what a bug pad was ether! :D

41. gamesurgeon

gamesurgeon

I honestly don't have the faintest clue about what you are talking...Do you mean bug page?

If so, that would be something Unity would keep within the scope of its engineers and managers; it would not be released to the general public. It wouldn't be in the best interest of Unity's marketing department to have a dedicated web page to bugs. :)

42. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

I don't care what they got internally but since the release of v3.4, I can't use it and have been WAITING ever since...

I'm finn'n to drop Unity altogether cause as a Windows user, there has always been stuff that's broken or doesn't work as well as it does on the Mac.

-Will

43. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

I'm one of those 3.4 WindowsKeepCrashingButISwallowedThePillAndLetsMoveOn with a touch of IHadToCreateCustomToolsToRestoreBrokenFunctionalities and respectfully, I disagree that the public should be kept in the dark about bugs.

Having to send emails to unity about particular bugs is time consuming and often not worth the trouble. This is not a discredit to their staff, to the contrary; I have no idea how they find the time to support millions of users, kudos. However it's just a fact that not everyone feels comfortable with having to establish email-relationships just to check on bugs, especially if English is not your first language.

And don't forget that not everyone can send bug report through their bug-reporting utility either.

I know it's been talked to death, but again; an accessible (most importantly; searchable) bug-repository will save time (thus money) for everyone.

PS: If there was some advancement/announcement about it in the past and I missed it; disregard this comment. =)

44. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Yes, it would. Every software platform out there has bugs; it would be a lot better for them to be up-front about it and clarify exactly what the bugs are, so that people can plan for it, rather than leaving them as an unknown quantity. They can put that at the top of the page, and all.

If I hear that Unity is buggy, and I can't get more information than that, then I'd be put off. But if I can go check Unity's list of Known Issues, and I discover that most of the bugs are on (say) Android, then maybe I don't care about that because I'm not targeting Android.

I've tried starting a Known Issues page on the Wiki for the community to log bugs into, but it's not really taken off.

45. Jago

Jago

I noticed that it's not possible to purchase the Bitmap2Material substance from Asset Store. It says that version 3.4.1 is needed.
    Does this means that the release is imminent?

46. gamesurgeon

gamesurgeon

Show me other large commercial software engineering companies that have a web page dedicated to their list of known bugs. Prove your point by example.

Unity, just as other software engineering companies, will acknowledge large bugs. However, it's not in any company's best interest to scare off potential customers saying, "Hey! Look at our huge list of bugs! See everything WE CAN'T DO properly." Even if you disagree, that is simply the truth. It's not only the exact opposite of advertising, but it could also, potentially, open a plethora of security vulnerabilities for Unity runtimes that could be exploited. What you will see a lot of, as you mentioned, is a community-run public bug list.

Not going to comment on that topic again, as it's pretty much common sense...

Anyway, I cannot wait for 3.4.1. I hope MonoDevelop will work with OS X Lion!

47. paperab

paperab

Now, magically, you understand what you said was not clear just few pages ago... what a conversion.

Sorry but you cannot apply your business model to everyone.

By the way I don't think Unity has any problem in listing bugs and helping paying developers.

48. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

http://bugs.adobe.com/

You know, there is another side to this; If you want to KEEP developpers working with unity. It's not only about getting revenue from new clients. In all cases, this point is moot because Unity Indy is free and there is a 30 day pro tiral, no ones is forced to pay for what they could believe is a buggy software because of the existance of a bug list. Makes no sense.

In all cases; this is where such suggestions should reside http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/37444-Your-thoughts-about-reporting-bugs

49. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

PolishRenegade's mentioned Adobe, here's two more:

http://connect.microsoft.com
    http://metalink.oracle.com (you need to be an Oracle customer to access it, but that's sufficient)

In fact it hadn't occurred to me that one option would be to make the bug list only available to existing customers (e.g. anyone with a Unity license attached to their email address - pro/mobile only, if you want to restrict it to people who've paid money). That'd be fine as far as I'm concerned, and would nullify your concern about potential customers who are too stupid to realise that the bugs they know about are better than the bugs they don't.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  50. 3Duaun

3Duaun

gotta say that the bugs.adobe.com is quite an impressive implementation. I respect a company that allows it's less mundane users the ability to research known bugs, so as to avoid the "pulling out of the hair" ;-).