Search Unity

Unity 3.4 launched!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by AngryAnt, Jul 26, 2011.

1. flim

flim

Thanks so much for the Astro Dude example project, I can learn how to use Xperia Play game pad control now.

2. Carwash

Carwash

I miss UniSciTE :(

Even though MD is new defaut, are the issues with UniSciTE (not jumping to error line, not highlighting etc) being looked at or is it all about the MD now?

I'm sure MD is better for many reasons, but for me (not a coder, but often have to mess about with some code in our games), UniSciTE was perfect, loaded quicker, easier to read, highlighted everything clearly, all without me having to configure colours or flag functions to be highlighted and so on. Please can we have it back! kthanksbye!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  3. taumel

taumel

If they didn't remove the editor from the distribution then you can set this up in the preferences.

4. Carwash

Carwash

Yeah I did, but it's got the above bugs ^

5. taumel

taumel

My fault, i recently just answered a question where someone wanted to use Unitron again and didn't know about this, so i thought...

6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I have a quick question... how do I update my prefab? I am looking in the docs on how to do this, but I removed some unneeded bones on my model and each time I hit "Apply" nothing happens. I've trying breaking the prefab on purpose and it still won't update... how could I get this to work without having to create a new prefab (these models have over ten animations so far and shaders)

7. maxmyth

maxmyth

The Island Demo is definitely not 100% compatible with 3.4. When I load it the first error I get is:

Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/Scripts/UnderwaterEffects.js(23,46): BCE0022: Cannot convert 'UnityEngine.GameObject' to 'float'.
    When I press play the additional error I get is:

Code (csharp):
    1. All compiler errors have to fixed before you can enter playmode!
    2. UnityEditor.SceneView:ShowCompileErrorNotification()

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The island demo is made for Unity 2.6 and can't be used with Unity 3 unless you fix the errors.

--Eric

9. maxmyth

maxmyth

Right on. If only I knew how to fix it. It just makes it kind of difficult for newbies that are learning with older tutorials when they cant access older content. Oh well not a real big deal.

10. *ShiNe

*ShiNe

Where can I download 3.3?..because 3.4 is not working at all.

11. FierceForm

FierceForm

No, you have to pay to use it. You either buy Substance textures or get the Substance editor. Also, if Unity supports Windows, they have decided to live with the current status of Windows, and to work with it. Otherwise, they never should have called it supported!

But that's so wrong! It also required a Mac, which I didn't have. That adds up to more than $1k. Nice try anyways!

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You can download free Substance textures, so no, you don't have to pay to use it.

That's not really relevant. You didn't spend over $1K on Unity like you claimed, you spent that on a Mac.

--Eric

13. cjfarmar100

cjfarmar100

ehh there are many bugs, just saying, maybe a fix for those?!?

14. gordonramp

gordonramp

I'm finding 3.4 is buggy.. I've currently gone back to 3.3.

15. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

I'm having problems with lightmaps in 3.4 that i haven't had with 3.3.
    When clearing lightmaps and/or changeing lightmapped static objects back to non-static it totally screws up everything, or the static-state-changed object until you bake a new lightmap, but this only fixes the now static objects. non-static objects that had a lightmap before are still screwed
    Screenshot of a scene after clearing the lightmaps:

The same scene after re-bakeing the lightmaps:

Without re-bakeing it would stay screwed forever.
    After restarting unity (after clearing the lightmaps) affected objects are black:

Using Win 7 32bit in case it matters.

Too bad i need those android fixes from 3.4 :(

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  16. *ShiNe

*ShiNe

Hey. Where I can download previous version??????? Anyone

17. taumel

taumel

Excursus:

Somehow funny: I recently met a developer who i knew from earlier days and who stopped making games and meanwhile went for another direction. At some point in the conversation we talked about Unity. His first question: And, is it still buggy?

I guess that pretty much illustrates the problem with Unity since the very beginning. There never ever was a period when Unity was really stable and you could happily rely on it. At least in the projects i did, i every time faced a number of issues you had to work around or where it simply was a no-go due to certain serious shortcomings.

I think there are a number of reasons responsible for that. For some of them Unity is responsible for, for others they aren't. In the end it somehow doesn't matter who is to blame because the only thing that matters is the product's quality for the end user. Some of the reasons are due specific situations each release introduces, some of them are old funerals and some of them are more due to general problems Unity might has as company, such as an attitude towards a product's quality. Looking back those six years the truth is that so far they never had the snap and/or the capability and/or the resources providing a rock solid product for all the provided platforms.

Each release, no matter if it's a feature or a bugfix release, fixed a number of issues but also introduced new ones. The problem from a developer's point of view is that personally i don't care if something crashes on me due to reason a, b, c or the new kids in town d, e, f. After some time it gets on your nerves and you just want it to work. Obviously practically there doesn't exist something like a perfect bug free product once it is complex enough but it at least should significantly enhance and it should get harder to experience serious issues. Now you can't expect this for most V1 products but honestly i was and am disappointed about the quality of the V3 releases so far as i thought after all those years and due to all the manpower they got, things would significantly enhance but Unity still doesn't feels like a rock solid product.

There are products out there which feel great right from the start, then there are those which enhance over time, some also get worse or jump up&down (great game btw.) and then there are those where, no matter if you own version 1, 3 or 123, it just doesn't matter because although they might have tons of new features, they simply never really work. They have the power introducing you to fatalism. Reading then the marketing buzz about how amazing everything is can introduce you to completely different convictions again, et cetera.

Anyway, it's raining here...

18. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

i can't find one post of you saying thank you Unity .
    if you saying that unity is buggy and it was like this along time ago then you really need to try another engine .

19. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I guess I've been lucky then. I'm thinking back to the 1.x days and although some 1.x / 2.x releases might have some bugs, UT was pretty good at fixing those bugs for the 1.x.1/ 2.x.1 update. The exception was with the current 3.x series where the first few releases either lacked something I used to have or had issues that rendered it unusable for what I do. But so far 3.2 and 3.4 (I skipped 3.3) have been pretty good for me. I think part of the problem is that Unity grows in features so rapidly that it becomes increasingly harder for the beta testers (myself included) to go through everything in time for a release. Open betas might be better at identifying bugs but I think would be much more difficult for UT to manage. I have to say, though, that if I file a bug report and make a big enough noise about it via emails to tech support, all my issues eventually get resolved. So far I'm happy with 3.4.

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

its always usually people with an axe to grind who post negatively. Very few people who are happy pop in to say "oh this is great" because they're too busy enjoying themselves ;)

21. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Check: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/98362-Unity-3.4-Beast-asigning-lightmaps-to-dynamic-objects

This is more of a question for the support forum though ;)

22. taumel

taumel

@mrbdrm
    For what exactly should i write thank you Unity? For the bugs, the lost time of my life, for the kickass Unity support hippocoder wrote about which i don't experience, ...?

@bigkahuna
    If that's the problem then they should grow slower. Get aware of the issues, analyse them and if possible solve them, instead of doing it again and again and ...

23. zumwalt

zumwalt

This is great, sure some issues, but what ever, I still want to have the pure 2d features, so sometime in 3.x it will come, its all good in the mean time. If it is a real issue then make a bug report, they will investigate and fix, they always have, they always will. I am still waiting on people to say "windows is buggy, throw it away, they lied to me when I bought it!" can't say that about Apple OS though, never have ran into a bug with it, but I am sure they exist but silently never let you know.

24. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Kinda what we both said 8 or 9 months ago, eh? Yes, I believe UT has been a bit too ambitious in their efforts to add new features, but I do believe they are making a serious effort to fix bugs as well. Fortunately for me 3.2 and now 3.4 have been pretty reliable although I am aware that's not the case for everyone.

25. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Expected for 3.5 :D.

26. taumel

taumel

@bigkahuna
    Well, i would love if i could say the same.

27. kalos

kalos

Anyone here knows what's wrong with the ConfigurableJoint.ConfiguredInWorldSpace thing in 3.4? How to readjust it?

28. c-Row

c-Row

Quoted for emphasis. This is totally true for most if not all parts of the internet.

29. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

@taumel - Did you get my PM? Had some advice for you. Hope it helps.

@hippo and c-row - That's not always the case. If there's a persistent bug that keeps you from completing a project and it's not getting any attention from the devs, that would certainly be just cause for a negative post IMO. I think a lot of us view things with tunnel vision, if it works for us we think everything is perfect and when it doesn't work for us we think it's worthless. Reality is usually somewhere in between the two. The fact is Unity has bugs, I know it, you know it, and UT knows it. I'm fortunate in that those bugs don't seem to effect what I do (at least not yet). The same may be true for you, but some others may not be as fortunate. I do know that UT, unlike some game engine devs, does have a fairly good record for getting bugs resolved, although it may not seem that way if you've waited a while for your particular bug to get the attention you want it to. That's one of the reasons I keep copies of 2.6, 3.2, and 3.4 on my hard drive. Sometimes reliability trumps new features IMO.

30. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

As stated earlier, we're aware of some stability issues in 3.4 and are on the case. Also, as mentioned before, we're not about to treat windows users as second grade citizens. It's unfortunate that this platform is more affected by issues in this release than OS X. We're not scheming to make life miserable for our windows users.

Regarding the review of the stability of Unity through the ages, please start a new thread on the subject and do a single link to it from here. We'd like for this thread to stay 3.4 specific.

@Fuzzy
    As suggested, please contact support for assistance on this issue if you are unable to get a solution from the support section of the forums.

I mentioned earlier that we're constantly working on getting the best mix of fixes for your reported bugs and popularly requested feature additions into each release. The best you can do is to continue to submit high quality bug reports and use http://feedback.unity3d.com to share your feature requests. We do not have the capacity to log and track clear text suggestions or complaints submitted to forum threads.

If anyone is having a complete show-stopper issue with 3.4, you can download the 3.3 installers here until we're ready with a new release addressing the issue:

http://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/unity-3.3.0.dmg
    http://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/UnitySetup-3.3.0.exe

31. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

@AngryAnt: Given that you've asked people not to "+1" the bugs, does that mean that UT's already found the cause of all the crashes? If so, could you tell us anything about it? It might help those of us who can think of ways to work around it, or help us predict whether it will affect us when we upgrade to 3.4. If nothing else, it'd be interesting to hear about.

32. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I think I too will be switching back to Unity 3.3... for some odd reason, my animated models are getting broken (such as parts not matching up) and strange behaviours like if both share the same animation, one of them is messed up... And I hope in 3.5 there will be a way to tweak multiple objects at once (such as setting multiple meshes to Ignore Raycast at the same time, or assigning materials to selected objects.)

33. Albert_Gao

Albert_Gao

thanks for the great job of unity3.4. i do study the angrybot 2 days. but i can't get any idear of this demo. can somebody help me? a general introduction is welcome. thankk you very much.

34. *ShiNe

*ShiNe

@AngryAnt: Thanks.

35. zumwalt

zumwalt

oh and Angrybots rock! would have been a better tech demo with a working map / radar system though :)

36. FierceForm

FierceForm

3 substance textures isn't really reasonably usable in a project, so you're still pretty much paying for it. And if Unity was free and on Windows before I wouldn't have had to buy a Mac (and wouldn't have had), and therefore would have afforded Pro with that same money. Anyways, why would I buy Pro now? It's probably just gonna change in a year or two like it did last time anyways.

37. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

As mentioned, please take the Unity price-tag and similar discussions out to other threads.

@Superpig
    We do have the information we need. Unfortunately we do not have a workaround at this time, but we are working on a fix.

38. syedhs

syedhs

Wow I think it is not very good for unity themselves to suggest people to downgrade to 3.3 - might as well don't release new version at all. Probably the next version should be 3.41 - purely maintenance version. 3.5 should be for the release that has what are written in the roadmap.

39. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

We're not generally suggesting that people should downgrade to 3.3. Most users are happily working away on their projects and taking advantage of the new features and improvements in 3.4. Some unlucky people, however, were experiencing severe issues on their configuration and wished to downgrade. Why on earth would we not want to help them do that?

40. SneakyTax

SneakyTax

41. zumwalt

zumwalt

Turn off pop-up blockers of any kind.

42. SneakyTax

SneakyTax

Hmm - tried it on Chrome/Firefox/IE... same thing. No pop-up blocking on any of them.

I will try from home tonight I guess.

43. XeviaN360

XeviaN360

Unity started to crash on our Macbook Pro with 3.4 version. Unity 3.3 never crashed with our actual project.
    On Windows 7 - 64 bit is really a pain. The common crashes happens when the Play button is pressed after a game cycle (play/stop) has been done. Seems to be something related with not releasing some threads or resources after the stop command. I remember a similar behaviour on Windows when experimenting (badly) with WWW class, not using dispose() or not releasing it correctly.
    We also had some curious (and rare) "exits from Unity editor" (maybe a crash, but with no message at all) when editor was idle and noone is touching keyboard. That on both platforms.

So, keep up the good work. Hope to have any fix soon ;-)

44. U2

U2

Request Some Input:

I have not run into the troubles most people seem to be talking about crashing etc.. Some updates needed to be done for code etc.. which is to be expected in any upgrade. Something that I found to be very disappointing though was the removal of the GetHeightAt() type functions with the new water4 release. I either will have to personally try and finish this code or try and revert back to the Water3 solution. The new water4 shader is awesome especially for performance but your coder dropped all accessibility. For instance I can no longer float my ships on the waves and there is no function to hook up any kind of buoyancy script to it thus rendering the new water as simply candy art vs something that is useful for game play or design.

I'd appreciate it if you could have your water4 person take a look at this issue while you guys are sorting out a new version release. Thank you very much.

45. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

And don't forget the underwater effect, why did it removed?

46. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

@rutecht rea - Agreed 100%. Please file bug reports so hopefully this will be fixed for 3.5.

47. Carwash

Carwash

How can I get monodevelop to highlight unity specific things like 'ScreenPointToRay' or gameObject in blue? Before 3.4 UniSciTE used to highlight all this stuff automatically for you so if you'd made a typo it was easy to see quickly, now becuse UniScite is bugged in 3.4 and monodevelop doesn't highlight this stuff it's made things harder...

48. immFX

immFX

Agreed too.

Unity water is a big issue and I don't understand why it is being taken so lightly.

As a proof, even the relevant documentation hasn't been updated since Unity 2.6! A newcomer will be totally lost in trying to set up a scene with water4. What kind of product ships a new version without taking care of the documentation first?

Furthermore, there are projects in development with Water3 buoyancy, underwater effects, etc and it is obvious that we must downgrade to 3.3 in order to keep them running. And where can we find the older version link? Buried inside a forum thread, hm, ok...

49. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

What ever happened to the old "refractive / reflective Pro water"? When I imported 3.4 Pro Standard assets all I found were two (rather ugly IMO) non-Pro waters and the new Water4? That old "refractive/reflective Pro water" was pretty useful for bodies of flat water. For anything else, I'm using the "ocean shader" from that thread I started.

50. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

+1 this