Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3.4 launched!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by AngryAnt, Jul 26, 2011.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Well it is indeed more intuitive now, but I just didn't find the difference to be from unusable to usable.

2. jeffmorris

jeffmorris

The car tutorial works well on Unity 3D 3.4.

3. aubergine

aubergine

I try mono as the default editor as Uniscite has its own problems of not highlighting keywords, and now mono cant open any of my scripts complaining about line endings. Never in mylife i used mono before. How do i fix this?

4. taumel

taumel

@AcidArrow
    I think everyone, due to several personal reasons, has a subjective tolerance for interfaces. This reminds me of synthesizers when there was a time when a lot of them could produce wonderful sounds but the very good ones seperated themselves from the bad ones via the interfaces and certain clever implemented concepts so that it was easier and more enjoyful to achieve certain sounds. It's the same here...

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

@taumel: Understood, and what you are saying makes sense. I was just a bit curious, because from my point of view the changes in the DOF script were incremental, so I had to ask to see if I missed something, or we were just perceiving the same thing differently.

Also, I have some issues with your synthesizer analogy :p (a lot of synths that are considered classic, or pro, are needlessly complicated), but yeah, point taken :)

6. Bugfoot

Bugfoot

Just upgraded to 3.4, and I've crashed like 7 times already in less than 2 hours... It seems most crashes originate from mono.dll, either when coming back to the editor after editing a script, or when hitting play.

Oh and I'm running Win7 64 bits.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Unity.exe
    Application Version: 3.4.0.27242
    Application Timestamp: 4e295076
    Fault Module Name: mono.dll
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4e2426e8
    Exception Code: 40000015
    Exception Offset: 000010c8
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: f883
    Additional Information 2: f8837542ea3da62abbfeb62a126ca28e
    Additional Information 3: ccdd
    Additional Information 4: ccdd26b9e64a55e83a0bf42a3de80859

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  7. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Whoa! Cool it, dudes!

Keep this thread on 3.4 related stuff. While quite interesting, the free/pro feature split discussion is not strictly tied to 3.4, so please go create a new Gossip thread on that subject.

Regarding MonoDevelop, do note that, as mentioned, we did not remove the option of choosing a different default editor. Furthermore, we are not about to abandon it as our new default editor anytime soon.

We have full-time people working along side the regular MonoDevelop team on improving core MonoDevelop as well as the Unity specific features in our build. Just like with the rest of Unity, we very much appreciate your detailed bug reports on any issues you may come across.

And no, we're of-course not abandoning the webplayer.

Again - please take discussions not strictly 3.4 related to other threads. Let's focus our communication here so we can all increase our productivity and hit the bar early.

8. marty

marty

Any chance we can get a forum added for Allegorithmic Substances?

Discussions on Allego-topics are already scattered across various threads and fora.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I like that man.

10. diese440

diese440

11. Moonjump

Moonjump

I noticed my iOS build sizes have increased with 3.4. I did an estimate on my current game using 3.2 and it came to 27.7 MB. I then compared it to the same project using 3.4 and it is 30.7 MB.

Does the addition of Terrains to iOS account for the size difference? Or is there something additional going on? I'm not using Pro, so I cannot strip Terrains if it the only reason.

It won't make a great deal of difference to this project, but my previous game is on the App Store under the 20MB 3G limit, but won't be if I update with 3.4. I'm sure this will be a worry to others also.

12. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'm guessing its an implementation of a tilt/shift lens effect, which is related to dof. A tilt shift lens allows you to adjust the angle of the lens elements relative to the film plane, the result is your dof can have an 'angle', rather than it being parallel to the film plane or in a 3D engine's case, what the in game camera sees. In photography this would allow you to have a plane of focus extending from the image center to the far distance with either side of that plane increasingly blurry (In the most extreme case). It's a very nice effect and i'm looking forwards to trying it out at some point.

13. Liatti

Liatti

Hi all,

We set up details regarding the discount for Substance Designer for Unity Pro users. It's gonna be 40%, making Substance Designer at 594$ instead of 990$.

You can find all the details here.

We hope you'll enjoy it!

Nico

14. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

Claps hands. I seriously was about to abandon this thread altogether.

15. Glyphware

Glyphware

I'm having some nasty graphical artifacts show up in the procedural textures demo in the web player.
    Take a look below:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x8
    VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Color LCD:
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Also, Unity Free is free. Enjoy!

Think of it this way, You just got a free car!
    You have to pay extra if you want the leather interior, super bright headlights, bodykit and the dealers logo removed.
    You are allowed to sell the free car if you wish :)

Free gas is also included so you can reach as many customers as you would like without paying a dime extra.

16. Liatti

Liatti

Are you using Lion and Safari?
    Another user had the same problem with Lion, Safari and an ATI card, but nobody else in the beta could reproduce it. We are investigating with Unity what is the problem, as far as we know it may come from ATI drivers with Safari and Lion.

Does it happen also with other navigators?

17. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

@PhantomPlay

Please provide the information you have given - along with answers to Liattis questions in a bug report sent from the system you encountered the issue on :)

18. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

19. increpare

increpare

Big features of this subversion for me are: vsync, stable shadows. Thanks darlings!

20. kablammyman

kablammyman

i just wanted to co-sign the UniSciTE bug. I think what ever was powering the "jump to line number" stuff was also used in the notepad++ hack, since that no longer works as it used to. Its really irritating when you get an error that doesn't give you a line number, so now its a giant guessing game. I haven't played the error guessing game since I stopped coding games in DOS!

I've also had a lot more crashes with this new version (win 7, 64 bit, i5 cpu @2.4ghz, 4gb of ram)

I'll also co-sgin with the mono-develop hate...its truly deserves it. Hopefully it will improve in the future, and debugging will be a lot less cumbersome.

I'd never thought i would miss version 3.3!

21. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am loving the launch of Unity 3.4, and I love all of the new gizmos and everything... if i may be so bold, I am using skinned cloth, and I have noticed that if u rotate the entire character on it's back, the cloth reacts like it should, falling onto the character... perhaps in an update we could chose collision objects for the skinned cloth. It makes it useless to use for stuff like jackets...

22. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

agreed

23. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

I remember seeing a graphical bug like that while working on my last game (Medal of Honor), which used a modified version of Unreal3 (oddly enough, we modified it to use Beast lightmapping, baked lightprobes and cascading shadows for realtime shadows). As a matter of fact, I think it had something to do with the cascading shadow maps. (I wish I could remember exactly, but it was almost a year ago now).

24. Carwash

Carwash

One more here on Win 7 Ultimate 64bit getting loads of crashes since 3.4, almost have to restart unity every time I hit Stop after previewing... Not good.

25. sleglik

sleglik

same situation... same Windows and same problem

26. MetaMythril

MetaMythril

Firstly, Congratulations on the release of 3.4! Now I just have to understand what the heck all these cs project files are for in my project folder now. Just to note, I use C# with Visual Studio. Also, for some reason, even though I switched my preferences to use Visual Studio, it still opens in MonoDevelop.

Is there any explanation on what all the generated project files are for? I was just hoping to upgrade and get around the whole "Upgrade your Visual Studio project" every time Unity regenerated the project and solution files. :(

27. x4000

x4000

28. Tak

Tak

If you choose VS2010, Unity should be generating VS2010 projects, and you shouldn't be prompted to upgrade.
    The new generated project files mirror the way Unity actually compiles your scripts, so that the feedback you get from MD and VS are more helpful.

29. Liatti

Liatti

The same problem happens with "Image Effect Demo" and Torpical Paradize in the Unity Gallery, thus it really seems to be a bug with Unity, Lion, Safari and a certain hardware...

30. leegod

leegod

Hi. Isn't there a new networking sample project by unity official? The official network project currently is for 2.6 as far as I know.

Is it still available?

Isn't there a new feature in 3.4 about networking?

I think official networking docus and sample must exist also.

31. Dreamora

Dreamora

It is still available in the resources - examples at top.
    Its for an older version (unsure if 2.6 or 3.0 / 3.1 which would require an upgrade too) but thats no problem as there is no new feature in Unity 3 for networking vs Unity 2, the only thing that changed is that the raknet version was updated.

32. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

For Unity 3 we did some API tweaking and upgraded the version of RakNet used. Regarding a networking example, we're on the case. No promises on release dates.

33. HolBol

HolBol

This, I filed a bug report the day Unity 3.4 was released.

34. fivearchers

fivearchers

I get semi frequent crashes, maybe once or twice a session, usually just after saving a script and going back into Unity. (Windows 7 64bit)

35. Amon

Amon

At what point does software fall under the "This is broken: This Software does not do what it states" banner allowing you basically to get a refund? Is software exempt from this almost wordly situation or just because the software has a EULA that by clicking tn to use the software makes it exempt no matter what the content of the EULA, i.e. by clicking you agree to the EULA you have to eat your eyes?

36. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

after reading all the 3.4 related horror, im definitely not going to update from 3.3, i will skip this version

37. FierceForm

FierceForm

Unity 3.4 crashes a lot, and so does MonoDevelop, on Windows 7 64-bit.... Also, charging for a feature integrated with the engine is a little iffy.... Why didn't Unity just make the Substance people make a plugin using the C++ DllImport stuff? Then, instead of wasting months making an unstable release, some important stabilization, workflow enhancement, and bug fixing could have been done. Also, on the subject of free vs. pro, it's not a very good argument to say that free users can't demand some level of quality as well. (Hey, I spent the same amount of money Unity costs now on getting Unity Indie back when it costed money and only worked on a Mac 1.0 versions ago! Discount helps but I already spent like 1k getting Unity, I don't have more money.) Please put up the download link for Unity 3.3 again. This 3.4 release is seriously ridiculous, IMO. Maybe Unity's gotten in over it's head at this point? All of this money being injected into the company might make them forget where they come from... A platform that experiences very few crashes and stability problems, and has a fluid user interface and strong base (that's Mac for those of you that don't know, also, no Mac vs PC arguments).

38. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's a free update, they aren't charging anything. And it's very stable and great on Mac, so it's not something inherent in 3.4 that's flawed, it's something with the Windows code (specifically, 64-bit Windows, from what I'm reading).

Unity Indie cost $250 originally, you can't have spent $1K getting it.

--Eric

39. taumel

taumel

To be honest whilst there are areas where it improved, it also feels a bit like 3.0 regarding stability&hickups, there are quite some issues and the crashing webplayer doesn't help adding to a "it feels great and stable"-impression but i understand that if it's not happening on your system it might feel more this way.

We're not moving forward since years in this respect but that's nothing new.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  40. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Unfortunately it's doing it on my modeler's 32bit windows machines too. If 3.3 was stable and 3.4 is not, it's hard not to see the correlation. Saying that it's stable on Mac doesn't change the fact that 3.4 is not on Windows with exactly the same machines. I'm just saying that paying customer's frustration is understandable right now and no one is bashing Unity Tech but we do not want to be patronized right now.

Hopefully the issues will be addressed and if Unity requires more bug reports we would all be happy to provide them of course but there are issues and they are quite problematic.

41. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Obviously not, and of course it's frustrating. My point is that it's a Windows issue, so that gives them something specific to track down, which should make fixing it a little easier.

--Eric

42. taumel

taumel

The webplayer crashes on OSX...

43. mas

mas

3.4 - Lots of crashes here on Win 7 (64 bit)

Working extensive on code/debuggin/testing .. have a crash about each 15 minutes
    most of the times when run is exectuted , sometimes on save.

3.3 was all fine!

44. ratking

ratking

Ditto, 3.4 has some annoying crashes! (Windows 7, 64 bit)

45. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

We're aware of the stability issue and are on the case. No need for additional "+1" or "it also fails on this particular machine". We have the data we need and are working on a fix. Thanks for the feedback so far.

And no we're obviously not gonna stick it to the windows users and just ignore your broken workflow. In case you haven't picked up on it, we care a great deal about our community and we do actually listen.

3.3 was probably our best release so far stability wise, given that it was a release where we solely focused on stability, without feature development. We've tried to maintain the best of both worlds in this release, but quite obviously something slipped through. Like you, we care a great deal about the stability of our product and we are therefore of course very aware of internal workflow tweaks to help us achieve the best blend of a 3.3-like release and feature heavy release in the future releases.

46. Liatti

Liatti

For info, the first game using Substance in Unity 3.4 has just been released, as far as we know. Decane managed to reduce the size of their game in a few days from 33 to 12.9 Mo just by using the B2M :)

http://www.wooglie.com/playgame.php?gameID=846

47. HolBol

HolBol

Are you gunna fix UniSciTE anytime soon?

48. saymoo

saymoo

this game takes ages to start (loading of the scene is fast though), after loading: "waiting to start.. " (takes like a minute or so)

49. Liatti

Liatti

This is not something related with Substance. I spoke with Decane yesterday, and the B2M adds only 2-3 sec in more at start from what they say, so the rest is just from the game itself.

50. guavaman

guavaman

Since 3.4 comes with MonoDevelop, I'll just post it here. Is there any reason copy/paste from MD does doubles all the line endings when pasting into a text editor? (Windows ver, pasting into Notepad2, Notepad, Word 2007, etc. I've tried all combinations of line ending handling and encoding handling in Notepad2 before pasting and always get the same results. Very annoying as I frequently copy and paste code in/out for various purposes.