Search Unity

Unity 3.4 launched!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by AngryAnt, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Per

Per

Thanks for the update! I see that even the splash was changed :D (though I had no issues personally with the FPS character), hopefully that'll be the end of that diversion. Looking forward to trying this all out, looks a solid update with a great bugfix list.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Pretty dissapointed there wasn't a bikini hippo bursting out of the water, but still very happy with the update, well done unity!

3. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

it's an awesome release. specially rendering pipeline fixes and surely alegorithmic are great!!!
    it will help us to make a game as small as possible for the web.

thank you guys!

4. magoghm

magoghm

I installed Unity 3.4 and tested with the project I'm working on which is targeted at low end computers (notebooks), and was very happy to see an improvement of almost 50% in framerate!

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to profile it to find out why it is faster. On the profiler window the only option available in "Active Profiler" is "Editor" and I haven't been able to get it to show my test computer. Remote profiling worked pretty well in 3.3 and I haven't been able to make it work under 3.4. Anyone had the same problem?

5. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

Well, I just encountered my first BSD on the Mac. Even though it wasn't a blue screen, I've never seen the "Mac Has Encountered An Unexpected Error And Must Be Rebooted" window before.

I encountered it running around in the Angry Bots demo (which I swear was darker at GDC).

Here's hoping that's not a common occurrence.

6. vortex69

vortex69

For me Unity 3.4 crashes every time I go to the asset store, anyone else having this problem? (Windows 7 x64)

7. returnString

returnString

Yup this is happening to me too, same platform.

8. Bugfoot

Bugfoot

Love it! Great work UT. Now I'm trying to stop drooling in anticipation for v3.5.

9. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

In the version 3.3, works fine. Now no more:(

I have an problem my granade don´t work anymore.
    Appears this errors:

InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
    AFrag.FireOneShot () (at Assets/YouTubeTutorial/A67Frag/AFrag.js:91)
    AFrag.Fire () (at Assets/YouTubeTutorial/A67Frag/AFrag.js:39)
    AFrag.Update () (at Assets/YouTubeTutorial/A67Frag/AFrag.js:25)

I can figureout the problem!!!

My script:

Code (csharp):
    1. var grenadeFrag : Rigidbody;
    2. var FireZone : Transform;
    3. var bulletSpeed : float = 2000;
    4. var totalBullets = 1;
    5. var clips = 5;
    6. var AmmoTexture : Texture2D;
    7. var clipsTexture : Texture2D;
    8. var GunIcon : Texture2D;
    10. var ReloadTime = 5;
    11. var ReloadSound : AudioClip;
    12. var FireSound : AudioClip;
    13. var EmptySound : AudioClip;
    14. private var reloading : boolean = false;
    16. function Update()
    17. {
    18.     Fire();
    19. }
    20. function Fire ()
    21. {    
    23.     if (Input.GetButtonUp("Fire1")  !reloading)
    24.  {
    25.      if(totalBullets > 0)
    26.   {
    27.    //animation.Play("startFire");
    28.    //animation.Play("endFire");
    29.    animation.Play("end fire", PlayMode.StopAll);
    30.    animation["end fire"].speed = 1.0;
    31.    FireOneShot ();
    32.    //Instantiate(explo, FireZone.position, transform.rotation);  
    34.         }
    35.   else
    36.   {
    38.    animation.CrossFade("idle");
    40.   }
    41.   if (totalBullets <=0)
    42.   {
    43.    if (EmptySound)
    44.    {
    45.     animation.CrossFade("putaway");
    46.     audio.PlayOneShot(EmptySound);      
    47.    }
    49.   }
    51.     }
    53.     if (Input.GetButtonDown("Reload")  !reloading)
    54.  {
    55.      Reload();
    56.  }
    57. }
    58. function Reload()
    59. {
    60.  //if (reloading)
    61.  //return;
    63.  if(totalBullets <= 0)
    64.  {
    65.   if (clips >0)
    66.   {
    67.    reloading = true;
    68.    audio.PlayOneShot(ReloadSound);    
    69.    //animation.Play("putaway");  
    70.    yield WaitForSeconds(ReloadTime);
    71.    totalBullets = 1;    
    72.    clips -=1;
    73.    reloading = false;
    74.   }
    76.  }
    78. }
    79. function FireOneShot ()
    80. {  
    81.  Instantiate(grenadeFrag, FireZone.position, FireZone.rotation);
    82.  var bullet = Instantiate(grenadeFrag, FireZone.position, FireZone.rotation);
    83.  bullet.rigidbody.AddForce(transform.forward * -bulletSpeed);  
    85.  if (FireSound)
    86.  {
    87.   audio.PlayOneShot(FireSound);
    88.  }
    89.  totalBullets -=1;  
    90. }
    91. function OnGUI()
    92. {
    93.     GUI.Box(Rect(0,Screen.height - 60, 30, 30), AmmoTexture);
    94.     GUI.Box(Rect(30,Screen.height - 60, 30, 30),"" + totalBullets);
    95.     GUI.Box(Rect(60,Screen.height - 60, 30, 30), clipsTexture);
    96.     GUI.Box(Rect(90,Screen.height - 60, 30, 30),"" + clips);
    97.  GUI.Box(Rect(130,Screen.height - 60, 60, 40), GunIcon);
    98. }

Problem solved.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  10. Arowx

Arowx

Yay!

Just played through Angry Bots great game, liked the ending as well very....

Now I just need to take it apart and work out how it was all done!

Does it build for Android and iPhone?

11. ole

ole

Unity programmer

yes, for both

12. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Same here. Bug report submitted. Suggest you do the same so they can see it's a reproducible bug. Bummers, otherwise this has been a very solid release for me.

13. RichardP

RichardP

Having issues with asset store under OSX 10.6.8, doesn't crash - but store is not displayed. Right clicking in the asset store window displays "localised string not found". I've posted a more detailed message to the support forum.

14. nopcode

nopcode

So, can we now expect to see the full Bootcmap project available, not just the limited little tiny bit that used to be in 3.3?
    The Angry Birds, I mean Bots, demo is different, but not suitable to show off what Unity can really do.

15. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Doesn't happen to me. But I only tested it on the OSX (10.6.8)

16. magoghm

magoghm

I found out what my problem was. I had forgotten to upgrade to the new development webplayer plugin on the test machine. After upgrading I didn't have any more problems connecting to the remote profiler.

From what I can see, most of the framerate improvement comes from faster rendering times. The number of draw calls hasn't changed so I guess we now have a lower overhead per draw call.

17. vortex69

vortex69

It suddenly started working. Guess maybe the Asset store was overloaded and Unity stupidly decided to crash due to that, or something along those lines. Or maybe they fixed whatever the problem was.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  18. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Yeh, I second that. I wish UT would release all the demo projects they featured on their front page since Unity 3 released. It seems there are very few demo projects released since Unity v3.0 came out - so far only AngryBot and BootCamp.

I would love to see the Substance Camper and Image Effect Demos (and vaguely remember a "City" demo in early Unity 3 promotion) avaliable for download as Project. It would really help people to understand the new features and to play around with the projects. Unity 2 had a lot of demo projects to download, but Unity 3 seems a bit lacking.

19. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I understand the desire to have us release every demo we make as an example project, but some of them are either too complicated or simply too messy to package up in a useful way for public consumption. However, there are a couple projects in the works that will be released soon. As far as Unity 2.x having more example projects just remember that it was around for 3 years vs 3.x's 1 so far ;-)

20. HolBol

HolBol

Ok, the release is great. It's a big shame there's no new indie water- we're stuck with the same old doesn't-fit-anywhere material, and water 4 won't work with free like water 3 did partially. Hmmm.

I'm still getting the stuttering effect. It seems to have gotten bigger though.

21. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Hmm... same thing happened here. I still think a crash report is a good idea. The editor -shouldn't- crash. If the server is busy it should tell you that. I suspect that it might have something to do with opening the Asset Store for the first time, but I really don't know.

22. saymoo

saymoo

Two things i would have thought UT had changed for the 3.4 roadmap (especially when they want to become, the best player in the gaming tech market):

Note: i still get the feeling that the free edition is more or less being disciminated/put away by UT, as a inferior/noobish product compared to the PRO. (since in many areas they ignore this free product in documentation and features)

in example:

- In free webplayer the watermark is still there. (that means twice the unity logo upon start, one for the initial loading (cannot be changed, thus forced), second the watermark (also forced) all together equals to something like 8 seconds of unity logo in view! absurd, and unfair, since the standalone applications only show the Unity logo upon initializing (4 seconds), and no watermark after that. So, either have the watermark and changeable initializing screen, or remove the watermark and keep the unchangable initializing screen. It's one of the two not both!

- the more i fiddle with the webplayer building, and researching on the net about this topic, like forums/blogs (including reading experiences others have with unity and webplayer builds)
    I really do wonder: When are assetbundles possible with free? i woudl have thought UT had understood the way it isn't allowed is basically saying: "you can build to webplayer, but you can only use small scenes/maps, if you use bigger ones, your users needs either a very fast connection, or they have to wait ages for the player to load the scenes. You either support webplayer (fully) or you do not at all. (if you use a car, you have the wheels aswel ;))
    So, as you can see in many cases this is REQUIRED by webplayer builds to experience a fluent gaming experience anno 2011. I don't understand why this isn't allowed in free, it's not that special feature wise.

Unity as a whole (pro including) is a nice piece of software, no doubt. Although as mentioned, i think UT needs to become more serious about both their little sister product (free) and big sister product (PRO) equally. The differences are too wide appart (becoming to look silly in business perpectives). The gap needs to be closed more. :)

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah its called buying pro, they need some reasons for you to purchase pro :)

People using unity js, please, please read the changelog. Understand the differences and why there are now errors. Do get into the habit of reading whats actually changed when you upgrade a dev platform.

24. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

If everything was available in Free, nobody would buy Pro.

Simple as that.

25. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Sweet!

Looking forward to exploring all the new stuff.

26. saymoo

saymoo

I understand the theory behind the two licenses. And it's fine to not have all these non essential features (e.g. render to texture, occlusion culling, profiling etc) in the free version.
    I'm talking about the inclusion of the bare essentials.
    What i'm trying to say... If UT puts in a feature, all parts of that feature should be accessible, otherwise the feature is a placebo feature ( it's too crippled to become really productive/usable)

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The bare essentials are there. you can make the same game in webplayer except it won't load as fast.

Yeah how dare they put shaders in and you can't have realtime reflections because RTT isn't available. Gosh. How dare they put lights in at all because shadows aren't available. Oh my. How dare they put webplayer in and its not quite as fast.

And so on. Get over it man.

28. saymoo

saymoo

And what about that watermark thing? (i brought up) ;)

29. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

the amazing AngryBots demo comes with 3.4

30. Liatti

Liatti

About substances: there's gonna be more that 550 substances available in the coming hours on the asset store, and some will be free. We are thinking indeed about making a "free sample package" so that people can test it.

The Airstream project will be also available for free to download on the asset store, as a tutorial for using substance in real time.

31. Dusho

Dusho

saymoo has a point with big differences between FREE and PRO. If developer posts his game or demo made in free unity version without shadows, any post processing, etc. target group will just notice Unity logo and crappy graphics. And unless there is somewhere explanation that it was made in free version and only PRO version allows all the nice features, people will just move on thinking there is still long way to make is look like Unreal or Crytek engine.
    Mandatory logo in free version would be enough as a limitation (also limitation you could make freeware only).
    There really isn't point showing uglier version of Unity to the world.

32. Dreamora

Dreamora

unity 3.4 finally got the long long standing unityscript compiler bugs fixed in relation to access limitation handling and its strict is now also really strict not decoration strict, so you need to cast where you want to get it to or it won't be of the desired target type but the base type.

bling guessing due to the lack of line number its the bullet.rigidbody line as bullet is of type Unityengine.Object, not UnityEngine.GameObject unless you correctly cast it on the instantiate line or don't declare it as "dynamic var" but with var bullet : GameObject

33. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

where is AngryBots after you install 3.4?
    3.4 installed on top of 3.3 no problem here, I am looking at Unity folders but cannot locate the AngryBots demo

Oh I can see it now, in the shared/unity folder, never mind.... oh it is in javascript, Yack! :) (Jk)

34. Dreamora

Dreamora

They aren't essential. They are eye candy and eye candy is only essention is the gameplay itself is bad and you try to make up for the bad gameplay (excluding stealth FPS). Good gameplay sells even without it, look at atmosphir, its a blockbuster basically and the visuals don't need Pro at all.

People claiming that the lack of visuals prevents them from designing and creating a great game are just searching for excuses on why they lack skill, dedication or creativity to create a great game first at all. Eye candy stopped selling games many years ago unless you have 10 Million USD to go with AAA eye candy and a 0.5M advertisement budget to hype the crap as EA and Ubisoft do

35. Zerk

Zerk

Im having the same issue. Any ideas on this yet?

36. saymoo

saymoo

You didn't read my post(s) carefully. Your comment is going indepth upon things i said, where not essential. You just repeated my post with different wording ;)

37. Dreamora

Dreamora

*fail* :(

Though definition of essential depends on the person.
    The only essential feature the free version is missing out of my view is Occlusion Culling, nothing else is essential to a unfunded game by hobbiests (the $100'000 turnover limit limits it to this type of users essentially), aside of naturally VCS but VCS is a feature thats designed at professionals doing it as their work and I doubt it will land on the free license for quite some time - it was already mentioned that the SVN and Perforce integration on the roadmap will be AS licensee only and I expect the plaintext instead of binary being bound to VCS enabled on the project (as it otherwise would essentially voiding the VCS limitation)

38. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Yep I fixed the problem whit the Frag Granade;)
    Problem in:
    var grenadeFrag : Rigidbody;

modify to

var grenadeFrag : Transform;

tks.

The rest of my game scripts is working fine until now:)

I have an question for the unity team, or advanced users group:

In the version 3.5 the pathfinder system is on free version or just for pro version or both??

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nope, they just think the developer sucks. They have most likely already seen a few stunning unity games. Angrybots will look pretty much the same on indie.

40. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Probably won't be decided until sometime not too long before release.

--Eric

41. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Most free indie engines comes whit soft shadows or basic shadows, i don´t see the reason to put only in PRO. That is just me:)

And Assent Store to upload files sucks. For my openion the DX studio engines have easy upload files library, and organized.

42. Dreamora

Dreamora

True but most of those engines take away 90% of the productivity in the editor, any expandability etc, which would castrate unity to 10 times less usable than losing eye candy.

and unity has basic shadows, its called projector ;)

43. larvantholos

larvantholos

Unity free does have basic shadows, just no real time shadows. You may not be aware, but you can use a basic version of beast, to also bake in shadows from your editor. Real time shadows can help with some visual appeal, but honestly a lot of the neat looking shadows we associate with better looking assets are baked light maps, and that is something you can do in unity, or any 3d modeling app you may be using.

44. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Yep that is true:)

Now i just wait for the next release 3.5:) Until now i going finishing my work:)

45. jeffmorris

jeffmorris

I tried out the AngryBots game. Is it possible to change from 3rd person view to 1st person view? Is there supposed to be 64-bit version of Unity 3D? Will the car tutorial run on Unity 3D 3.4?

46. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Wasn't FRACT made with Unity Indie?

47. JRavey

JRavey

The development screenshots appear to confirm that.

48. pkid

pkid

Can substances be used on the terrain? I can't seem to get it to use a substance for terrain painting. That is really too bad if substances can't be used for dirt or grass textures.

49. niosop2

niosop2

I don't believe so because the terrain system uses textures, not materials. But, you can export the texture that you create by setting the Substance parameters and use the texture.

Or, it may be possible to directly use the generated texture in the terrain pallet, but I haven't tried it.

50. pkid

pkid

That is unfortunate if true. It would defeat the whole purpose of using substances to save space for streaming games, at least as far as ground textures go.