Search Unity

Unity 3.3 is out

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by NicholasFrancis, Mar 1, 2011.

1. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Hey guys gals.

We've just shipped 3.3, our first version with full Android support. Get it while it's hot: http://unity3d.com/unity/publishing/android

Also, we're running a small giveaway. Take a looksee here: http://unity3d.com/android

Thanks to all our beta testers for helping us get this out the door. I can't wait to see some great Android games!

2. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Awesome!

3. deltawave

deltawave

Just coming back to Unity after a while away and a little confused. I have Unity indie and Unity iPhone Basic 1.7 on OSX.

I plan to get Unity Android pretty soon, just the Basic version. Do I simply purchase the Android Basic package ? Do they merge into one combined editor, iOS and Android ? Will it cost $400 or is there any reduction through owning iPhone Basic ?

4. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

So other than android, is there anything else new?

5. defjr

defjr

Check the release notes ;)

6. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

7. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

The title tag of the page is still set for 3.2 ;)

Congrats though. 2 releases in 3 weeks.

8. mikesgames

mikesgames

I LITERALLY only just upgraded to 3.2!

LOL!

upgrade time!

-----
    And I have just entered the contest to get Unity Android. I wont win though; I have never won anything in my life.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  9. Tseng

Tseng

Nice! Just downloaded and installed it.

What does actually the "Android Remote" means? On first I tought you could develop and test your game on android (but not publishing), but when clicking on the Android in Plattform/Build settings it says "Your license does not cover Android Publishing". How does the Android Remote works then?

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

Android remote means that you can use the android as input device (ie will send input data)
    to develop anything that runs in the simulator / on the device, you must buy one of the 2 android addons.

All the same as on iOS btw so if you have more questions on the remote, the iOS one existed for years and should give you an idea :)

11. Screenhog

Screenhog

I think I'm going to skip the upgrade for now. The release notes indicate that the only real reason to upgrade would be for Android support, and while I intend to try making something for Android in the future, it's not a priority right now. However, congratulations Unity team on your continued progress!

12. Tseng

Tseng

Yea just found it out, that you have to get the APK fromt he Android Market.

Works like a charm for testing the output. But slow, but that's ok. There doesn't to seem to be a way to test Resolution/UI scaling before buying a license, is there?

13. Dreamora

Dreamora

You can go into the player settings and change the resolution then the dropdown offers this one :)

but no the full dropdown and especially the opengl es emulation does not exist without a mobile license.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  14. Cameron860

Cameron860

What server are the unity downloads stored on?

I know it's not unity3d.com.

I only ask because, for some unforseen reason, my firewall is has blacklisted the site UT use to host the file and I have to disable my firewall very time I want to download a new version. If I knew which site they used I could easily fix this.

Edit: May not be the host site for the Unity software but some kind of traffic tracker that's wrapped around the download link that's stuffing me up.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  15. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Just curious, is it backwards compatible with 3.2? I'm working remotely with a team and I'm not sure when they'll be upgrading.

16. Dreamora

Dreamora

no problem switching the projects, no breaking upgrade. (even 3.2 to 3.1 worked without problems for me)

17. Tseng

Tseng

The exact download link is:
    http://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/UnitySetup-3.3.0.exe

However, a quick look in nslookup will tell you

> download.unity3d.com
    Server: **cutout**
    Address: **cutout**

Nicht autorisierende Antwort: (non-authorative answer/reply)
    Name: a1986.g.akamai.net
    Addresses: 92.123.68.41
    Aliases: download.unity3d.com
    download.unity3d.com.edgesuite.net

The one which probably causes problems for you is the "a1986.g.akamai.net", but seriously: If your Firewall blocks Akamai, throw it away and get a new firewall, cause yours is crap.

Akamai worlds biggest content delivery network (CDN), and most big company use their architecture to provide downloads (or static content for their websites). The advantage for the companies is, that the files will be mirrored on many of akamai servers world wide, so when you download it, it will chose the closes and fastest server for you resulting in very good speed.

18. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Thanks dreamora, I appreciate it

19. deltawave

deltawave

Any info on my earlier question, or shall I move it to the Techy forum ?

20. creative code()

creative code()

Hey,

wow this is a great News :) I have only one problem. I Have buy a Unity Pro and a Ios Pro licence. Is it possible that you can activate a trial licence for the Android?

I have try to download the Trial version from the Webpage but of course Unity know my Serial and my Licence and gives my no Option to switch to a trial mode so that i can test Android :(

Thank you for your help and sorry for my bad english :)

21. Dreamora

Dreamora

You can just buy Android Basic at that price yeah.

But you will not get any reductions on it. Unity Indie did cease to exist in dec 09.
    Your Unity iPhone 1.x license though will get you a reduction on your upgrade to the Unity 3 iOS Basic license.

Android, iOS etc are all within the same Unity 3 editor, just switching the project type to target another platform

22. Cameron860

Cameron860

Thanks, that fixed it. It wasn't actually my firewall it was my custom hosts file. I find it very efficient means of blocking unwanted advertising. The unity download has been the only thing I've had to adjust it for so far.

23. deltawave

deltawave

Ok, thanks dreamora. I know it's not rocket science but seriously, going to the product page takes a few reads to work out what module works with what, and which requirements are needed for the (two) basic setup purchases.
    One more, am I ok to download and install the Android trial alongside my iOS full editor? I presume I'll be able to choose Android build for 30 days and then it will stop ?

24. Dreamora

Dreamora

There is no android trial along iOS full editor.
    There is only 1 editor (all target platforms are in the same editor) and 1 license as you only own 1 license + addon licenses connected to this single license (iOS, Android, Asset Server Client - are all addon licenses to a specific required base license, be it the free unity or unity pro).

So if you enable the pro trial (its pro + ios pro + android pro) then you will be just on that license, nothing else until its end when you push in your own license again.

The store actually mentions the requirements btw, you can always insert your license and see the corrected prices etc :)
    Its no longer a 100 page long list of what you pay if you own X or Y, you insert the license, it marks what you have and what the stuff costs you don't have yet, so the cost to upgrade your license code with that stuff :)

25. Ultimatemau

Ultimatemau

Awesome job guys! Now i can use android remote the proper way. Also my professional opinion: Unity rocks!

26. Hesham

Hesham

from where do I download the unity iphone remote?

27. Dreamora

Dreamora

AppStore -> Unity Remote 3

28. andeeeee

andeeeee

@deltawave: there isn't any reduction on Android for people who already own iPhone - it's a completely separate licence. The editors have now been merged, so you will have a single editor app which can build to all the targets you own licences for.

29. arioch82

arioch82

is it normal that it freeze everything on mac everytime i try to open it?
    the only thing i can do is restarting...
    happening on two mac mini here

edit: it's because of the bootcamp project, i've deleted that folder and opening my project everything works fine

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  30. deltawave

deltawave

Aaah, thanks. I need to get up to speed on all of this, been away too long !

31. deltawave

deltawave

Oh, one more query. The option iOS changes to:

Upgrade from iPhone Basic 1.x
    along with a price drop from $400 to $150 on inputting my serial.

What is this upgraded to version-number-wise and what are the gains ?

32. nikemerlino

nikemerlino

Have you a problem with the resolution dialog? It doesn't work properly for me....

33. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Whatever the current version of Unity is.

Whatever was added to Unity 2.5, 2.6, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3.

--Eric

34. v21

v21

Similarly, I am halfway through a one-month pro trial. I've installed the 3.3 editor, and would love to try out the Android support, but the trial does not allow this. Since I am in the midst of this free trial, I am unable to sign up for another. Am I unable to try out all the sweet new Android stuff?

35. Dreamora

Dreamora

Upgrade from Unity iPhone 1.x to Unity iPhone 3.

iPhone 1.x went out of support by the end of 2009, beginning of 2010 and does not support iOS4 nor the 4th gen devices officially

Gain of Unity iOS3: programmable pipeline, plugins in any license, the same editor as the deskto with all the nice editor scriptability and a whole host of others, check out the page and you will get an idea on them.

best check the license comparision page linked on the stoer at the bottom.

36. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Lots more bug fixes. Very nice.

37. zumwalt

zumwalt

To be fair to peeps, I own Droid Pro license so I won't enter the contest, I remember last contest where people went totally ape over peeps who have licenses but entered the contest, cracked me up. Good luck all you peeps in this contest!

Congrads Unity on the release! Can't wait to play with it!

38. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Eh, have a license or not, you've as much right to enter as anyone else (unless it's in the rules not to obviously lol). and you should, piss off the whingers who don't like it hehe.

39. atmuc

atmuc

you are running this giveaway just for android license and if we won them to use this giveaway we have to buy unity pro license for $1500?

40. atmuc

atmuc

it is better to know upgrade price list for future buyings. for example i plan to buy ios version. now i wonder how much will i pay if i want to upgrade to ios pro version if i have ios version.

41. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Whatever the price difference is.

--Eric

42. satrio

satrio

What about Autodesk-Unity GDC talks/demos? Any announcements?.. Please share some news on that!

/s

43. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Check the "something we're working on" thread in Gossip. Light Probes.

44. 1vo

1vo

well that's a pity - the real deal with unity3d is the free roamin possibility for everybody - the best choice for indies with empty pockets willing to make some money and possibly step up to pro. Otherwise unigine was a better choice and open to linux too!

45. Maurice-Hoffman

Maurice-Hoffman

I like version 3.3 but i don't like that every time i update i lose all my packages that i have bought elsewhere or created myself.

In 3.3. i must give my login and password for the app store every time i enter.

Can you fix this in 3.4. Thanx

46. Dreamora

Dreamora

@1vo: actually I meant to say there "does not exist without a mobile license", so if you buy iOS or iOS pro, then you have emulation and the possible target resolutions there

what this has to do with unigine is over my head, thought you wanted to create a game, not a tech demo that only runs reasonably on the top 8% of the machines

47. gamesurgeon

gamesurgeon

Who won the free licenses?

:D

48. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Uncheck "remember me" (or whatever it actually says) and check it again, then it will stop doing that.

--Eric

49. Maurice-Hoffman

Maurice-Hoffman

Thanks Eric it is so simple but not logical.

50. Languard

Languard

The instruction card I got at the GDC did not tell me to put the #unity3d hash tag in my retweet, yet I saw on a tweet today that I was suppose to. And a dire warning against tweeting it more than once :p Is it ok to remove my original tweet and re-tweet with the #unity3d tag, or am I S.O.L.?

unityunity