Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3.2 is Available!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Joe-Robins, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Zyxil

Zyxil

>>Debugger: Attaching the script debugger to (and detaching from) Unity and debugging-enabled players is now possible.

WAHOOOO!!! :) :) :)

2. giyomu

giyomu

Quick question about msaa

in appController.mm what is supposed to set >> #define MSAA_DEFAULT_SAMPLE_COUNT 0
    regarding what you setup in unity in player quality settings ?

oh and btw thanks UT guy for this huge update make my day ;)...no i wait the OnGUI refinements hehehe ^^

3. sonicviz

sonicviz

3.2 looks great! Ty Unity!

remote profiling...ty!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  4. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Hi,
    this new updates sounds really cool,
    One question, will this new 3.2 version output an OS build that will work just fine with the Mac App Storre (no iOS, just the Mac OSX)?
    As in valid for submission to Apple?

5. KnifeFightBob

KnifeFightBob

I was very happy to see the Blender native import, but as TheLorax has already stated, this seems to not work. Tried with latest build from Graphicall and the vanilla one from Blender.org. No luck. Are we missing something?

6. Slem

Slem

Can we use inline debuggin with Visual Studio now or am I misunderstanding? I will try as soon as the download is done.

7. jerome

jerome

Great Release, water is really cool but only on mac for us ... Refraction seem to be flipped on PC (grabtexture). We made a really simple scene : A plane + water3 above -> refraction of the plane is incorrect (seem to be flipped) on PC, same scene work fine on mac. Any Idea ?

8. TechnicalPirate

TechnicalPirate

Great update. Bug fixes = the best fixes :)

9. KEMBL

KEMBL

3.2 allows work with several projects in one time! This is good thing! Thx!

10. chadchat

chadchat

Discussion over at the Luxology forums about native .lxo imports. Maybe premature to jump for joy, haven't had a chance to test myself yet.

11. voidmaystorm

voidmaystorm

>JavaScript Improvements: Multidimensional arrays: int[,]

OMG - yessss!!!!

THANKS to the unity staff (also for the other improvments, of course ;-)

greets,thomas

12. VIC20

VIC20

qft :)

13. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

I guess you guys figured it was better to have one render path that worked perfectly rather than have two that didn't work 100%. :p Great job on this.

Fix the quality settings so I can access AA and VSync from script, and I'll be able to make a PC/Mac game with confidence.

Yessss.....this was a concern of mine. Glad to see unity has fixed the issue!:)

14. zumwalt

zumwalt

Ok... where is the "rest" of the improvements / bug fix list? That list is missing several items from that and appears incomplete, like fixes to the database connectors (of there are any) fixes to the datareaders/writers, and where is the networking updates and fixes along with where is the definition to the data packet for Raknet or anything raknet related, I am still waiting on that information so I can build and submit up some code for standalone independent raknet server base.

15. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

Just a heads-up if you're trying to make things float in the water, I discovered a bug with how the new Water3 prefab calculates height offsets (not for the mesh displacement, but for the getHeight method) and emailed support@unity3d.com. It should be okay to distribute a modified version of the prefab along with an update to my Buoyancy Toolkit in the asset store, right?

Other than the small bug the update looks great!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  16. jmpp

jmpp

It does? I just upgraded and didn't see that feature. You mind explaining how you do it? I'm on a Mac and I can use the terminal to drill into the .app bundle to fire off a second (and third and forth and whatever) Unity instance by manually running the executable (cd /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/ ./Unity ) [1], but if there's now an "official" way to do it from the Unity editor it'd be pretty cool to know about it, thanks!

- jmpp

[1] If you do that, be sure to have the "Show Project Wizard at Startup" option selected in the Unity preferences, so that the new Unity instance that pops-up (and basically all of them, for that matter) ask you which project you want to open, to avoid opening the same one more than once, which I'm sure is not a good thing. If I'm not mistaken, there is a command-line argument to tell the Unity executable to open a specific project from the get-go, but I can't currently remember it for the life of me.

17. ArmchairAthlete

ArmchairAthlete

"Make SphereCollider vs. TerrainCollider collisions smoother."

A little too big a change here. My player controlled rigidbody that's just a sphere collider briefly slides up very steep terrain now in 3.2. After a half second or so it's back to going down the very steep terrain. Submitted a bug on it.

18. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I've reported a bug for this. Seems to be an issue when using forward rendering.

19. Yann

Yann

After testing, I can confirm that modo import is barely useable atm. Next to the problems listed at the end of the release notes, there's also this one : if you double-click on a modo file inside Unity, it will open... an empty document.

Unity says modo Collada exporter is problematic, and at Luxology they claim that Unity should have switched to Collada rather than fbx... well, as a user I hope an agreement will be found very soon !

20. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

They did; it uses Collada.

--Eric

21. Tudor_n

Tudor_n

Same question here.

22. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

How do i use the Underwater effect? And the foam stuff??

23. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

3.2 removes the use of undocumented APIs, makes sure file permissions are set up correctly, and it has a new Player setting to disable the writing of Log files. That removes all technical issues for App store submission Apple had with the Unity Player. You still need to manually sign the executable as is well documented on this forum.

24. llavigne

llavigne

OnDestroy()

this alone could have been a release

25. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

The "water3" underwater effect turns itself on when the camera goes beneath the surface of the water. Drag the prefab to your inspector and move your camera up and down to see the result. Foam will automagically appear where ever the water plane intersects with another mesh (shoreline, floating objects, etc.). There's even a basic buoyancy script in the folder for you to use. There are lots of other controls for you to tweak as well.

26. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

Does underwater only work with Pro :(

27. temo_koki

temo_koki

hmm..., I want to print whole integer array, but it prints: System.Int32[]
    As far as I remember this "print(someArray);" was printing whole array or I remember wrongly? :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  28. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

If you want to print the whole array you would loop through the array and print each entry; this hasn't changed.

--Eric

29. temo_koki

temo_koki

yes I know how to print it :), I haven't use arrays long time and I was remembering it wrongly :)

30. legand

legand

Okay so i just gt 3.2.0 and well. its saying i have standard assets (mobile) should i have that?? and also were is the water prefab or whatever everyone is talking about that's so good? i cant find it...

31. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

water 3 is in water(pro)

32. legand

legand

So i need pro too have good water that can move?

33. legand

legand

Scene problem in Unity 3.2.0 Screen shot too everything is black....

34. legand

legand

unity 3.2 is slower. like my pc is not even moving i cant even open the unity window...

35. Dinart Filho

Dinart Filho

36. adilsondias

adilsondias

Hi there,
    I've a small project that worked great with Unity 3.1, after upgrading to 3.2 it loses the only one Directional Ligh I've on the game when I build run. Inside the editor, Scene and Game windows it's perfect. Pressing the Play button everything works great, however when build or build run, the ligh is gone. My scene becomes black, dark.

The game was upgraded from previous version by 3.2, so I can't open it on 3.1 any more. I still have a source code the works on 3.1 on my source repository, however I made loads of modification on 3.2 version that I'll need to do again. Well, I haven't tried to create a new light on 3.2, deleting the old one and see what happens. I'm going to do that, but if I'm not lucky, I guess I'll have to install the 3.1 version and go back to my old source code and re-do everything.

Is anyone else having this problem?
    Cheers,
    Adilson Dias

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  37. adilsondias

adilsondias

I worked it out, for some unknown reason the Directional light tag got changed to "EditorOnly". Changing that to "Untagged" fixed it.

38. WannaDev

WannaDev

Anybody know where one can find the installer for Unity 3.1.0f4 now?

39. Antitheory

Antitheory

You can get the community Ocean shader which works in Indie (though you don't get reflections or underwater effects in Indie). I don't have pro but would like to know if the new water is actually any better than the community-based project.

By the looks of the thread the project has evolved since I last checked in on it.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/16540-Wanted-Ocean-shader/page26

Here's a downloadable version by Nikko which I have used and adapted for a current project. Works great.

http://www.nikko3d.com/index.php/downloads-2/

40. Game_Smith_legacy

Game_Smith_legacy

You guys have awesome timing! This was a major problem for my current contract work.

41. Pulov

Pulov

wow, this one looks like a major update. I've been waiting long time for those instantiated geometry imports... lets see how anoying this listed limitations are...

Good release!!

42. jorrit-de-vries

jorrit-de-vries

I have 2.56 installed on both Windows Vista (32-bit) and Windows 7 (64-bit), resulting in the same error. Would be really sweet if this is working, since it might save some time (and I like the 2.5x interface of Blender a lot better than 2.49).

Edit:
    By copying the scripts folder from the AppData directory to the directory where the binaries are installed (most common in ProgramFiles/Blender Foundation/Blender/2.5x) makes import of blend files possible.

Jorrit

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  43. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Ole spent a lot of time developing the new water asset so that it could be used in a wide variety of settings equally well: lakes, ocean shorelines, rivers, etc. It is a very sophisticated shader that will take some time to learn to use and tweak. I was able to get some very nice results when I gave it a test and IMO has a great deal of potential. As I understand it, the current shader is a work in progress that will likely change and improve over time.

The "community ocean project" is a completely different animal. It is designed first and foremost to simulate large open ocean areas. There are two main versions that are publicly available: an older version by Nikko that supports Indy (and I believe iPhone, but don't quote me on that) and the other by Trond that is the most recent and requires Pro. IMO Trond's version is one of the best ocean shaders out there. It includes a very nicely executed LOD system and underwater effect. It also works with 3.2 without issues, I haven't tried Nikko's with anything but 2.6.

Source code for all these shaders are freely available so you're able to modify them for your specific needs.

44. andeeeee

andeeeee

@Dinart Filho: it would be great if you could file a bug report for this problem (menu: Help > Report A Bug). Currently, it is not obvious whether this is a bug or just a consequence of the new way that rigidbody parenting is handled.

45. lasco

lasco

What's this "fullforwardshadows surface shader directive" ?

I launched Unity 3.2 and created a new project with all packages enabled to be sure I don't miss anything. But when I try to enable shadows of a light spot I still get the same "Only directional lights have shadows on forward rendering".

How exactly can we get these shadows ?

46. U2

U2

I hope either Unity team posts a fix for the scaling issue in that function or you include it in your package because I'm hitting a brick wall personally trying to visualize it. If you want to be a gem you could post the fix =)

47. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

@rutecht - FWIW the new water3 buoyancy script and all those posted for the community ocean project are nearly "plug and play" compatible. It literally only requires editing 2 lines of code to make one work with the other.

48. U2

U2

depending on the mesh setup I don't think this is true.. Maybe with the water prefab they give but if you use your own the Water3 GetWaterHeightAt function doesn't work properly due to not taking in the size of the custom mesh. At least that is my best guess and somewhat confirmed by gustavolsson's post. I don't believe there is any problem with the Water3float script or using any other buoyancy solution, the problem is with the Water3 script.

49. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

@rutecht - I think we discussed this before and I'm not sure what's happening that's causing your problem. When I was testing it, I was able to bring in a custom mesh without issues. But I probably wasn't trying to create as large an area as you apparently are. In any event and the point I wanted to make is that the two ocean assets are very similar in that they've both exposed the water height and tangent info so you are (in theory at least) able to share buoyancy scripts back and forth between the two. It sounds like UT needs to take a look at your situation as I haven' t any idea what might be causing your problem.

50. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

Sure! The conversion is not correct in DisplaceMeshAmountAt() at line 200
    in Water3Manager.cs:
    Code (csharp):
    1. returnVal = (displ.a+displ2.a*2.0F-1.0F) * heightDisplace;
    If the return value should line up with the actual water mesh displacement ( This
    method is used to calculate the Water3.GetHeightOffsetAt(), not the actual
    mesh displacement ) it should be:

Code (csharp):
    1. returnVal = ((displ.a+displ2.a)*2.0F-2.0F) * heightDisplace;
    1) Create a new Unity 3.2 project
    2) Insert the new Water3 prefab into a scene and add a cube with the Water3Float script.
    3) Play, focus on the cube, notice that it is hovering above the water
    4) Open Water3Manager.cs and make the change I suggested above
    5) Fixed! You can now use the Water3.GetHeightOffsetAt() for buoyancy and other behaviors.

Hope it helps! (I did submit a bug report to Unity and they are looking into it)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011