Search Unity

Games Unity 2023 HDRP Prototype - Project HX23

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Kreshi, Feb 26, 2023.

1. Kreshi

Kreshi

Hi everyone,

I created a small demo using Unity 2023 HDRP and named it Project HX23.

You can download and play the prototype demo scene (Windows) from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15n4ZB_Yszp0mG4SxTsRqufFyxTMLKfMG/view?usp=share_link

There are no plans to transfer the project into a full game - the intention of this project is to get into Unity 2023 HDRP and verify the scope & graphics of what can be achieved using the latest Unity version :).
    Feedback is appreciated :D.

mgear and CodeSmile like this.
  2. impheris

impheris

Looks cool, but the lighting look little bit flat, are you using something to calculate indirect lighting?
    Or maybe is the lack of shadows in some areas?

3. Kreshi

Kreshi

I use Probe Volumes and SSGI for indirect lighting.
    I improved the settings a little bit, but didn't update the downloadable demo (yet) :).

That's how it looks with the update:
    upload_2023-3-4_22-38-47.png

In addition I created a second set of settings for an environment from Nature Manufacture:
    upload_2023-3-4_22-40-10.png

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  4. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

This is looking amazing // AAAA, or almost PS5 - settings . . .

Have to give perfect 10 score . . . .

Kreshi likes this.
  5. Kreshi

Kreshi

I tried some other scenes with individual settings and achieved these results:

upload_2023-3-26_21-48-36.png
    upload_2023-3-26_22-20-28.png
    upload_2023-3-26_22-4-15.png

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  6. impheris

impheris

that is cool man. second one lacks some shadows here and there but overall is a pretty nice test

Kreshi likes this.
  7. Kreshi

Kreshi

I tried to improve global illumination settings and color correction a little bit further :).

upload_2023-3-27_2-9-54.png

In case anyone is interested, these are the 3D assets used for the scenery:
    --> Environment
    --> Character

8. Kreshi

Kreshi

9. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

this is amazing stuff, notice also this feature in Assassin's Creed - series, the character stands also ' correctly ' on the roof, even if it's not only flat, it gives very good sense of realism, and overall sells the story better, myself perhaps want to make an ' Until Dawn ' - tribute, or clone, and was thinking this might make also such a video - game look better, however the problem is also adding something that leaves foot - prints in the snow . . .

an amazing feature, also very cool one could simply buy the stuff on Unity - store, however for myself prefer to get custom - things made, also code for each project, also to pay the artists, coders more fairly, think this kind of system is worth 50 - 100 $$ to any project, and it makes sense to perhaps pay that much, very cool stuff, etc etc . . . :) :D

Kreshi likes this.
  10. Kreshi

Kreshi

Thanks for the positive feedback :).
    Yeah, great foot placement gives an overall better sense of realism, I fully agree.

In case anyone is interested in the iStep foot placement settings I am using for the demo scene, here they are:

upload_2023-3-28_16-38-56.png
    upload_2023-3-28_16-39-52.png

11. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

dang, that's serious stuff // might download it from the story, sure is worth 15 $$ . . . . :) :cool:

Kreshi likes this.
  12. impheris

impheris

how long did it take to bake the lighting (the probe volume)?

dghjgf.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    Kreshi likes this.
  13. Kreshi

Kreshi

Probe Volume baking took ~1 min (with following settings: Min Probe Spacing 3, Min Renderer Size 0.5).

How did you manage to reach that height? :D
    The highest height I managed was this:
    castlevalleyhill.jpg

14. impheris

impheris

Thanks for the tip´, i'm baking a very basic scene and is taking more than 30 minutes :( just a plane and 2 boxes -.-

Hahahaha :p there are some interesting edges...
    BTW i saw some corners where looks like is reflecting just the sky, looks very weird, maybe some reflection probes?

15. Kreshi

Kreshi

So you found an edge that I didn't :D.

You are right, Reflection Probes had "Use Influence Volume As Proxy Volume" disabled which gave the impression of having too much sky-light reflection applied :). Enabling it removes the over-reflection. I will update the build ;).

By the way, the ~1 min bake time includes reflection probe baking as well (18 reflection probes).

16. impheris

impheris

i do not know what is my error, of course ii'm very very nub with probe volumes but i can not have a good lighting like in your demo, when i use medium quality it takes more than 20 minuttes until i cancel it -.-

Trial and error as you can see in the video (sorry for the frame rate, i did not know obs was recording that bad) youtube is still processing the HD thing, so right now is at 360p jaja

Kreshi likes this.
  17. Kreshi

Kreshi

Man, you are a magician! I can't believe with what precision and courage you were jumping on those cliffs! Completely insane! :eek::eek::eek:

Have you configured your MeshRenderers correctly?
    You have to set them to contribute to Light Probes instead of Lightmaps, otherwise you are baking Lightmaps all the time :).

upload_2023-3-29_2-39-19.png

18. impheris

impheris

Yes i know that, i think it was a bug with 2021, that is the version i use mostly, but in that version probe volumes are very very experimental, i tried with 2023 and it was very fast.

Hahahahaha too many years playing Mario bros xD hahaha

19. Kreshi

Kreshi

Ah ok I see - 2023 was the version I used too :).

--> I updated the showcase with enabled "Use Influence Volume As Proxy Volume" in the meantime ;).

20. impheris

impheris

Did you update the Demo or just the video?
    BTW those graphics are very nice man, with a little more work you can do something very very close to UE5
    Would it be a wassle if you upload a video moving the light to see how it reacts to the changes? or maybe a UI slider to let the player move the angle of the light? I have a code for that if you want but you can ask dhatgpt for it, in fact my code is from chatgpt xD
    Also you have an industrial demo on your screenshots, are this level into the demo? if that is the case, how can i play it?

21. Kreshi

Kreshi

I updated the demo only :D.
    I think I need higher poly models to come close to the quixel models used in some advanced unreal showcases, but in regard to lighting it's pretty close to unreal that's true :).
    For dynamic lighting I would need to look into scenario baking or precomputed realtime GI.
    I prefer the later, but the later is available in alpha only.
    I haven't uploaded the industrial/sci-fi demo yet, but I can do that too ;).

22. impheris

impheris

that is true, but textures can help, for example, the textures on those big rocks is very detailed and looks good also the dirt texture is good too, i was impressed, is that an asset from asset store?

i understand

23. Kreshi

Kreshi

yes, it's from the store, I posted the links in one of the posts above but I am referencing it again :D: