Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Unity 2022 Warning with Canvas Scaler: SendMessage cannot be called during Awake

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by el_Guero, Jun 29, 2023.

1. el_Guero

el_Guero

I updated to Unity 2022 and get now ~500 of these warnings:

SendMessage cannot be called during Awake, CheckConsistency, or OnValidate (MyCanvas: OnRectTransformDimensionsChange)
    UnityEngine.UI.InputField:OnValidate ()

I get them on canvas objects, images, buttons.

If I disable the Canvas Scaler component on the canvas gameobject, the warnings are gone. Is this a bug or something I'm doing wrong?

emredesu likes this.
  2. el_Guero

el_Guero

Update: I realize that this now happens only the first time I enter playmode. Afterwards the warnings are gone. Wasn't the case yesterday... so weird thing to happen.

edit: the above today is not true anymore. Now they show every time I enter playmode and they now as well show literally for every single UI element I have in the hierarchy. No exception. 999+ warnings when I start to play my game.

Seems clear that this is a Unity bug but I'm not sure what causes it. Seems I'm the only one with this problem?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
  3. emredesu

emredesu

Nope, not just you. I too just upgraded from 2021 LTS to 2022 LTS and I'm getting these errors as well even though my project uses SendMessage nowhere.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
  4. el_Guero

el_Guero

yeah I reverted back to Unity 2021 (have some other issues with unity 2022 too). But can't work with 999+ warnings in the console. Literally every UI element I have in my hierarchy is triggering this warning. Hilarious.