Search Unity

Official Unity 2022 LTS Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TreyK-47, May 30, 2023.

1. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

upload_2023-5-30_12-47-11.png

Download & Release Notes | Docs

Unity 2022.3 is now available as the latest LTS version on the download page and in the Unity Hub.

As always, you can learn more on our website and the release blog post. The Unity Documentation also has all the details about what's included in this release. I know some of you may be worried about upgrading, and we have you covered with some handy upgrade guides to help you from your current version of Unity to Unity 2022 LTS. Now for you folks with complex productions with a high number of dependencies, find out how Unity Support and Services can help make the upgrade process easier.

And always remember to back up your projects before opening them in a new version of Unity. If you encounter any issues, we want to know, so please submit a bug report so it can reach our developer for them to squash it.

If you have any questions related to 2022.3, please feel free to ask them in this thread and we will do our best to follow up on them.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Just for clarity, technically speaking 2022.3.0f1 is essentially equivalent to 2022.2.22f1 as in: bump minor version to 3 and reset patch version to 0. That means it should be relatively safe (or perhaps even recommended) to upgrade from 2022.2 to 2022.3. Correct?

Deleted User and GDevTeam like this.
  3. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

That's the theory, but in reality I have yet to see an Unity LTS release that isn't buggier and less stable than the last TECH it was supposed to iterate on.

4. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

That's correct!

Deleted User and GDevTeam like this.
  5. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

I have been running automated builds and tests, as well as manual tests, with Unity versions 2021.2 through 2023.1 typically using the patch 0 release and the latest patch release of each minor version. That's five different major/minor versions (will now be six).

So far I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary EXCEPT for two things:
    1. 2021.3.0 through 2021.3.2 (== just three patch releases) do not have a Type defined that Visual Studio and Rider plugins rely on, so I cannot test these particular versions without downgrading both of these IDE packages.
    2. Unity.Serialization package for 2021.2 installs an older version which breaks my code, but the version that's compatible with 2021.3 also works for 2021.2 so I'm actually using that even for 2023.1 despite that version still being experimental.

One thing to keep in mind is that packages commonly install a different version when the minor version changes. For example between 2021.2.latest and 2021.3.0 you may have the same package defaulting to two different versions, which can cause issues if you're not prepared for that. Usually you can downgrade such a package but more often than not, analyzing that you are in such a situation and taking the right steps (eg package downgrade) takes some effort. So it's easier to just blame it on the buggy release. :p

GDevTeam likes this.
  6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Sad that UUM-22444 made it into LTS, any chance it will get fixed?

7. impheris

impheris

@CodeSmile thanks for the info on your last post

8. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

9. impheris

impheris

i'm not particularly happy with unity right now but, i must say it, i was waiting for this release and it feels like a solid base for at least better years for unity, i hope so

JesOb and DrMeatball like this.
  10. Shizola

Shizola

The learning templates in Unity Hub don't show up with 2022 LTS.

11. grizzly

grizzly

Seeing the "Unity is running with Administrator privileges..." dialog whenever I launch the Editor. No Hub installed and certainly not ran as admin. Clicking "Restart as standard user" results in a dialog loop.

Unity 2022.3.0f1

12. sarbiewski

sarbiewski

13. sarbiewski

sarbiewski

Why can't I still see the new URP Project sample in the Unity hub. Your GDC presentation says 2022 LTS and 2023 LTS.

14. zenman3119

zenman3119

Can't update or create new project with this version
    upload_2023-6-1_20-50-30.png

Attached Files:

15. spacefrog

spacefrog

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    newguy123 likes this.
  16. Shizola

Shizola

Because Unity likes to show off these things months before they're ready. Releasing them at the same time as the LTS would make sense but they really struggle to synchronise things like that.

17. EricFFG

EricFFG

Shader Graph is extremely laggy in 2022 LTS, 3000 ms to instantiate nodes on a mid sized 60 node shader

18. EricFFG

EricFFG

Also
    There are features being added:
    Full Screen Master Nodes
    Fog Materials

And more

And these have no samples or even video about how they work or are supposed to be used?
    That does not instill confidence about their actual production viability or testing

19. sarbiewski

sarbiewski

Really?!
    Even the first image on the Unity 2022 LTS page is from the new sample. Later also the Zen garden. First get people excited and then say: "Please don't touch"

20. Christ0phoros

Christ0phoros

I created a new project for android and while building the apk I have this proplem upload_2023-6-3_16-27-54.png
    Removing and reinstalling unity did not help. Do you have any ideas how to fix it ?

21. Christ0phoros

Christ0phoros

On the other laptop the same problem. Should I create a new thread on unity forum for this problem ?

22. lorddanger

lorddanger

In 2022.3.0
    All my Unity particle system is showing this error
    MissingComponentException: There is no 'VisualEffect' attached to the
    Example

upload_2023-6-6_15-32-42.png

this is not a VFX graph effect

23. JesOb

JesOb

24. stevehyne

stevehyne

I'm having the exact same issue. Have you seen any more information on this?
    TIA

25. Christ0phoros

Christ0phoros

Yes , I found more information. Probably it is the fault of any of the gradle files. Possibly a badly specified path or something similar. Rather we have to wait for an answer from one of the developers. I went back to Unity 2021LTS , so as not to waste my time. If you want you can check this thread. https://forum.unity.com/threads/gradle-build-failed.647581/
    Maybe you can solve the problem.
    Good luck :)

26. stevehyne

stevehyne

ok, so after much messing about it looks as though it has something to do with the latest version of the Notification manager (very recently updated) and the Target API level. We appear to fail at this point. if (Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= Build.VERSION_CODES.TIRAMISU) in UnityNotificationManager.java. After a bit of searching it seems that others have asaolved similar issues by forcing an update of the SDK. I set the following in player settings:-
    upload_2023-6-7_21-2-42.png

Then ran a build. It will then ask you to update your SDK version. Do that and build and it all started working again. Hope this might help you out if you want to revisit the issue.

Cheers

Steve

Autarkis and Christ0phoros like this.
  27. Bamff

Bamff

Having the same issue, literally just started the Unity pathway and followed the instructions to the letter.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    fullerfusion and djpuckett like this.
  28. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

Anyone ever seen this one? Project was/is fine locally, but on our CI (Bitrise) we're seeing this compile error. :-|

https://imgur.com/a/ScDonyG

Code (CSharp):
    1. Process terminated. System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.CSharp.Syntax.InternalSyntax.Lexer' threw an exception.
    2. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException: Array dimensions exceeded supported range.
    3. ...
    Full error log here.

Project continues to compile (and build) fine locally; I've tried all sorts of things, can't get it to budge on the CI, even after remoting in trying just about everything, removing packages 1 by 1, etc... The error is obviously not in "user land" managed code. 2022.3.1f1

Builds (CI and local) worked fine prior to 2022.3.x -- updated to 2022.3x today, local is fine, CI is not. Everything else remained the same, basically just swapped version numbers in the CI "install unity" scripts, tested locally & confirmed as was good, committed to a "20223x" git branch, and then tried to ship on CI. No dice on CI. Can run game & even build just fine locally, though.

Edit to add: Local platform is M1 Max. CI platform is also Apple Silicon, similarly spec'd.

PG-Pump-Games likes this.
  29. Christ0phoros

Christ0phoros

I changed beafore Target Api Lvl but i didn't change Min APi Lvl. Now it's works . Thanks:)

TreyK-47 likes this.
  30. miinoy

miinoy

what is UUM-22444.

31. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

32. anisimovdev

anisimovdev

Has anyone experienced significant Editor profiler spikes in Unity 2022.3 with Universal RP? SceneView.ComponentHasImageEffectAttribute

Spike.png

33. PutridEx

PutridEx

In a big scene lightmapping is messed up in 2022.3.3 - I'm using it for APV in HDRP, and bakes never finish. It just keeps restarting over and over.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    fullerfusion and ebaender like this.
  34. sachinhello

sachinhello

Unity editor immediately crash when searching in hierarchy window of unity editor. very disappointed, three more release comes out but issue still there.

35. ebaender

ebaender

Can confirm this, the lightmapper is once again completely unusable with probe volumes. Has not been fixed in .4f1.

36. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

One good thing and some bad ones… The good: I love how the asset import process is way faster now. Generally my project needs 6 to 10 hours after updating the engine, since Unity 5.6 up to 2020. Now the import is done in less than 2 hours! (It’s a huge project with lots of textures).

The bad:

I got weird problems with mouse input. All my rotation movements and mouse scroll don’t work after upgrading from 2020.3 to 2022.3. Cannot find in documentation what is changed. Is that a bug or feature?

I made a report CASE IN-47086 with a Debug.Log showing the values returned for Mouse X, Y and Scrollwheel. On 2022.3 they are returning 0 most of the time. Since I skipped 2021.x I am not sure if this is totally new.

Also all my Blender models got broken after the upgrade. Scale was set to 1, they appear as miniatures, destroying scenes and prefabs. I must select all blend files in the project and set the scale to 100.
    Every time I get some problems with blend files inside the project. Sometimes I think it would be better to stop supporting blend files in the editor… Almost all huge engine upgrades bring different problems with blend models. I’m slowly replacing them with fbx but there are tons of models, since I trusted the engine would support it…

rdjadu likes this.
  37. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Unity 2022.3.4
    June 26, 2023

What's the hold up for the next release ? Holiday times?

fullerfusion, WolveX and adamgolden like this.
  38. Zeeppo-Games

Zeeppo-Games

3 weeks with no new LTS release.

39. Zeeppo-Games

Zeeppo-Games

Same with my max models. I've got to rescale all of them...

40. IDK, I see this in my Hub:
    2022LTS.PNG

41. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

Looks like this version was just released. It usually takes up to 24 hours for the release notes to be posted and rss‘d. I expect them either later this day or tomorrow.

42. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

My bug report was closed with this message: CASE IN-47086

“Hi, Thanks for submitting this issue. I was able to reproduce the issue but I noticed that you are using the Old Input System. I would recommend upgrading to the New Input System because the issue is no longer reproducible after upgrading. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us. Thanks, *** Customer QA Team”

So… is the classic input system totally removed? It probably should be fixed, not closed... Can someone else take a time to check it please? Or at least update the documentation to avoid using it completely. If the bug in a LTS is frustrating, the "solution" is even more frustrating.

Input.GetAxis is returning 0 in a lot of frames for Mouse X, Y and scrollWheel. I have sent a sample project with a simple Debug.log on that case number. Many legacy camera movements are broken with this, they just stick to 0 values.

I understand the classic input was set to be removed someday, but that change should be announced. Not acceptable for a LTS while Input.GetAxis is still on the docs and on the project settings: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Input.GetAxis.html

Migrating every project to the New Input System for a very basic thing like camera movement is becoming a headache. I am getting inconsistent results with Mouse.current.delta.ReadValue(), but I have to confirm if this is another bug or something else on my side before updating the bug report.

rdjadu likes this.
  43. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I feel like QA has been instructed to try and close / reject as many bugs as possible, so if they can offer you a bullshit solution, they will do that and consider the matter settled.

That or it's complete chaos and everyone acts however they feel like depending on the time or day and the relative alignment of the planets.

Not sure which is worse.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
    IOU_RAY and grizzly like this.
  44. Mister_Iwa

Mister_Iwa

Hey, did you ever find a solution for this? Also experiencing a similar solution since I opened an account on Vagon (for a cloud PC so I can dev my game more easily, since my laptop is so weak in terms of graphics).

I messaged their team about it (waiting for response) and tried a variety of solutions that worked for other people already, haha.

45. grizzly

grizzly

According to the issue tracker page here, this bug has been resolved in 2023.3 and is currently being worked on for other versions.

In the meantime, I've outlined a workaround here.

46. Mister_Iwa

Mister_Iwa

Thank you. I tried that solution a while ago, but for some users, it seems not to work.

A bit new to changing Unity versions, but according to their list of LTS changes, it looks like they usually add a new release roughly every 1 to 2 weeks:

upload_2023-7-24_9-59-30.png

So is it safe to presume that they will probably launch another 2022 LTS release this week with the issue resolved, or is upgrading to a non LTS version of 2023 necessary?

47. grizzly

grizzly

It's not safe to assume that it'll be fixed in any version I'm afraid. I recommend keeping an eye on both the Issue Tracker page and release notes.

48. CDF

CDF

Did someone forget to press the release button for 2022.3.6?

M_MG_S, fullerfusion, Dance_M and 5 others like this.
  49. Mister_Iwa

Mister_Iwa

Okay, got it. Thanks! Pretty new to this. Appreciate the advice!

50. Shizola

Shizola

2 months later the learning templates still don't work with 2022 LTS. Are new users just supposed to use 2021?

The new URP templates were also supposed to be released with 2023.2 beta, but you may be shocked to hear this didn't happen.

fullerfusion likes this.