Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2022 GDC Roadmap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Will the PDF or Power Point for the Roadmap be released?

The livestream on Twitch for the roadmap recap really didn't touch half the game engine or non-game engine aspects. Was rushed and didn't have a lot of information people were wondering. Actually had very little information in total.

Could we get a timeline for when a blog or something will come out so we can the roadmap like it was shown at GDC during the Monday in person event?

Thank you to all Unity devs.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I mean does it matter? Every time they show a roadmap with dates, they are always off by at least a couple of years, it's not like you can count on their roadmap to make decisions about your game development, at least you shouldn't.

For example a couple of years ago they showed we would be getting DOTS Audio and Animation in 2021
    upload_2022-3-25_22-33-14.png

Current estimates for them are around 2024, so...

Rewaken, PutridEx and DungDajHjep like this.
  3. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

4. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Thank you for the link, but sadly this is lacking a lot of information.

It does not mention the new 2D features being released in 2022.2 like the new 2D profiler window, new features built into 2D Rigid bodies, the new 2D callback layer system, and more. That is just stuff in the 2D side of things.

I was wanting to see more information at GDC about that and stuff like the new audio tool system with built in editor for creating procedural sounds. Granted I figured the audio stuff will be late next year earliest.

Sadly though since we don't have the notes or slides from Monday's in person Unity Roadmap Session I honestly don't know what is going to be mentioned in the roadmap. The audio tool might not be in the roadmap or mentioned yet.
    But we don't know because the Unity Roadmap Recap on the Twitch stream for Thursday really skipped practically everything.

Like honestly normally I am okay waiting a bit for it, but the Twitch stream roadmap recap showed only small stuff for a couple seconds literally before they move on to next topic. So the roadmap recap was pretty much worthless.

To see the GDC vault recording of Monday's event you have to pay for a pass, I repeat pay for a pass to see the recorded session. To be exact 550 USA dollars for the pass to see the recording in the GDC Vault.

That is why I am slightly upset about the Twitch Roadmap Recap not showing the full roadmap in detailed.

5. JoNax97

JoNax97

6. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Wasn't the recap for last year's roadmap though? That's why it's a "recap". Is there a new roadmap?

7. Murgilod

Murgilod

A recap gives updates on a roadmap's progress and ties into further roadmap details, generally speaking.

8. elbows

elbows

They are planning to stick various GDC sessions on Youtube, with a current ETA of some time in April.