Search Unity

Official Unity 2022.2 Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TreyK-47, Nov 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Our latest tech release of the Unity Editor, 2022.2, is now available on the download page and in the Unity Hub.

Curious about what’s new in 2022.2? Check out our blog post & webpage, as well as the Unity Documentation, or watch our 2022.2 Let's Dev Twitch stream recording, to learn what’s included in the release.

Unsure how to go about upgrading? Check out the upgrade guides to help you go from previous Unity releases to Unity 2022.2. For complex productions with a high number of dependencies, find out how our Success Plans can ensure the upgrade process goes smoothly.

Marking a major milestone for Unity, the 2022.2 tech release introduces ECS for Unity, a data-oriented framework that empowers you to build more ambitious games with an unprecedented level of control and determinism. ECS for Unity includes the main Entities package, along with Entities-compatible packages for Netcode, Graphics, and Physics.

Please join us on December 8 for our DOTS Dev Blitz Day, an AMA where you'll have a chance to ask the Unity team your most pressing DOTS questions!

Please remember that with the tech releases you’re trying out the newest features & tools to help us shape Unity’s development, so make sure to back up your projects before opening them in a new version of Unity. The tech releases are not recommended for projects in production or close to release, for these projects we recommend our latest LTS release. If you encounter any issues, please let us know by submitting a bug report so it can reach our developers.

If you have any questions or feedback related to 2022.2, please feel free to share them in this thread and we will do our best to address them.

2. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

I like dots and ECS I have read about them and will be learning both but will wait for stable release :) I look forward to it

Timten likes this.
  3. DevDunk

DevDunk

Missing the word Standing at the end of the post?

For projects in production, we recommend using Unity Long Term Release for stability and support

4. oscarAbraham

oscarAbraham

There's so much to love about 2022.2.

The biggest problem I have with it is that it no longer allows you to change the script associated with an Object in the Inspector with Debug mode. This feature is very important for refactoring in a project sometimes. There's an entry for it in the Issue Tracker here, and it was also reported in this forum post.

Are there plans to fix this regression?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    Timten, Vincent454, Raul_T and 3 others like this.
  5. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is great, but I'm going to wait until features are fully fleshed out and things like an actual GI solution are hashed out

Timten and AasifHaque like this.
  6. DanielRiches

DanielRiches

I'm getting a new warning popup in 2022.2 when launching my project....the problem is when I click restart as standard user it says it requires elevation....does anyone know how to solve this?

Fritsl, xdashab, moadallaoui1 and 2 others like this.
  7. CameronDWills

CameronDWills

After updating from 2022.1 to 2022.2, I'm unable to Archive my build in Xcode 13.3

I get the following error almost immediately after attempting to archive:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Command PhaseScriptExecution failed with a nonzero exit code
    3. Chmod: /Users/myUser/Desktop/ios-build/Il2CppOutputProject/IL2CPP/build/deploy_x86_64/bee_backend/mac-x86_64/bee_backend: No such file or directory
    I had no issues archiving my build in 2022.1. Please advise

I'm assuming this has to do with this part of the 2022.2 update:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. iOS: Changed IOS Xcode projects to use the il2cpp executable to compile il2cpp sources, so the Xcode doesn't compile the sources directly. This makes iOS consistent with other platforms.
    I'm using Windows 11 Unity to build my iOS project, which I then import onto a Mac OS device (via VMWare virtual machine). I open a new terminal in the project folder and run a pod install command to get the workspace file, then archive. This process has always worked in 2022.1 but now it doesn't.

I noticed the xCode project is setup differently, with a new target called "GameAssembly" and there's a script attempting to run on it in a file directory that doesn't exist:

It's looking for the C: drive which doen't exist on this machine. I tried copying over the data file and replacing the file path with the filepath of the data folder on the Mac OS, but that didn't work either.

How can I get around this, or switch the build settings to what they were in 2022.1?

8. DevDunk

DevDunk

File a bug report and make a new post instead of here

9. SuperPoopsy

SuperPoopsy

For the sake of testing, I updated my project to 2022.2.
    Now all the scenes which had baked lightmaps look broken/misplaced and full of weird jaggy artifacts and bright spots.
    The lightmap textures themselves looked fine, so I rebaked one of the scenes and that seem to have fixed it.
    The newly generated lightmap textures look identical to the old ones, so I'm guessing something changed somewhere between parsing the lighting data and applying it to the scene.
    I'm wondering if this behavior is expected and hopefully avoidable or if it's a bug, since if I decide to stick with 2022.2, that would force me to rebake a considerable amount of scenes, which of course translates to a massive waste of time...

10. Ts1nd

Ts1nd

The editor is unusable in this version! All the bugs from beta got transfered over, nothing was fixed. Selecting object with script glitches out the entire editor and lowers fps to below 0.2.

kopanz and AasifHaque like this.
  11. sacb0y

sacb0y

Whens the megacities demo coming out?

12. DanielRiches

DanielRiches

Anyone else experiencing this I just confirmed with some admins on the Discord that this has always been an issue, it's just 2022.2 prompts you about it. Seems to be a similar issue to when they introduced prompts for editor waits. Still, a little warning would have been appreciated as suddenly getting a prompt telling you your PC may be "bricked" is a little worrying lol

xdashab likes this.
  13. PutridEx

PutridEx

small project, just a CTRL + S after a bake, no third-party tools.

Attached Files:

wangtaoETO likes this.
  14. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Friendly reminder to delete the library folder and do a "reimport all assets" when encountering strange issues after a migration.

stonstad and JamesArndt like this.
  15. spacefrog

spacefrog

On the beta i asked for a way to disable that prompt via commandline or something, without success.
    In my case it appears because i'm running my user as the "internal" adminstrator, wich nowadays is considered to be the most dangerous thing in the world, because you can brick your machine by doing the "wrong" thing ( delete what you should'nt delete, mess with your registry, send your bank-account data to god knows where etc... ).
    I constantly do such things to bend windows to my needs and am fully aware of those pitfalls. I'm from a generation of nerds, where such knowledge is ingrained that deep that i don't need another layer telling me those obvious facts, so i have no need for those warnings.
    But in the end, i decided to simply get used to this dialog, as i see i'm the guy with uncommon habits nowadays ...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    Novack and hurleybird like this.
  16. sacb0y

sacb0y

For some reason unity hasn't implemented something to stop things like this from taking unreasonably long, but in my case it was some kind of corruption.

If this is like my issue, deleting the library folder is a must. This was happening to me last month but only on my desktop.

I redownloaded my entire project though, but deleting library was the likely lesson.

17. PolarTron

PolarTron

I too bend windows for a living but due to the new package manager workflow I realized I was blissfully unaware that if a third party package got hijacked then I would just run unchecked code on my computer with administrator privileges.

Tautvydas-Zilys and spacefrog like this.
  18. AntonioModer

AntonioModer

Снимок экрана 2022-12-12 164219.png
    Снимок экрана 2022-12-12 164940.png
    Errot without log, empty project folder.
    When create project with 3DSampleScene(HDRP)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  19. John3D

John3D

Thanks for the update!
    Keep up the good work Unity! Squash those bugs faster please!

TreyK-47 and AntonioModer like this.
  20. AntonioModer

AntonioModer

21. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I suspect that Unity.exe compatibility properties has "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox checked:

upload_2022-12-12_11-44-2.png

Can you double check this is not checked?

22. DanielRiches

DanielRiches

upload_2022-12-12_20-50-17.png

Box is unchecked, I am on an administrator account, and I have read elsewhere that installing Unity on a non-administrator account could solve it, but unfortunately thats not an option as I recently changed my hardware and windows now needs activation in order for me to actually customize accounts, and I'm not sure if that should really be the desired workaround as loads of people will have to start making dummy accounts just to use Unity.

Surely selecting "restart as standard user" should just launch Unity in non-administrator mode? but when I click it it just gives a "Needs Elevation" error.

Attached Files:

23. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Most people will end up installing Unity via an administrator account, that is a perfectly acceptable and default workflow. It shouldn't cause this issue.

There is a distinct difference between your "account being administrator" and "program running as administrator". I wrote a more detailed response about it here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/dis...nistrator-popup-warning.1293657/#post-8194407

Does this happen even if you close Unity hub and double click on Unity.exe (it will reopen Unity hub - that's expected)?

In the task manager "Details" tab, you can add a new column called "Elevated". If you sort by that, it will show you which processes are running as administrator and which ones are not. If you sort by it, you should see that the vast majority of them do not run as administrator. Is that what you see?

Did you ever mess with UAC (User Account Control) settings? What are they configured to on your machine?

24. DanielRiches

DanielRiches

Ok a quick update, double clicking Unity.exe does indeed work without the warning, and it does open Unity Hub in the background but instead of just launching the hub it gives me the following prompt:

upload_2022-12-12_21-28-8.png

clicking open project and specifying a project opens with no warning. Unity may want to tweak the functionality on this so it opens the hub normally if it's installed so you can select your project, if hub isn't installed give this prompt?

Clicking the X, maximising the hub and choosing the same project then gives the original error again.

25. Spellbook

Spellbook

There is a major prefab serialization bug in 2022.2.

1) Create a prefab with script attached.
    2) Open prefab in prefab editor.
    3) Reference a GameObject inside the prefab from the script
    4) Delete that GameObject from the prefab. (Status is "Missing" on script)
    5) Reference another nested GameObject inside the prefab from the script.
    6) Hit play. The 2nd nested object will not be referenced.

RectTransforms inside our GUI prefabs are also randomly losing their height and width properties.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  26. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It should already do that. I wonder, perhaps the hub is running in a weird way? Can you try to check whether that "Run as administrator" checkbox is checked in UnityHub.exe properties? Is UnityHub running elevated according to task manager? Did you try quitting the hub via the Windows notification area (next to the clock)?

EvOne likes this.
  27. DanielRiches

DanielRiches

Ok, seems Unity Hub.exe had "run as administrator" checked.

It was also running as elevated in the task manager. So ill just untick run as administrator. At least other people should be able to read all this if they have similar problems lol.

Assuming that's all I need to do, thanks for the help :)

EvOne likes this.
  28. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That's all you need to do, and likely reboot afterwards.

EvOne likes this.
  29. newguy123

newguy123

30. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Hey hey. Could you file a bug report with a repro project and maybe a video? Team is having trouble reproducing following these steps.

31. ebaender

ebaender

Is anybody else experiencing insanely long build times in 2022.2? The editor insists on building shaders every time which takes about 25 minutes on my system, even in a fresh project with only the HDRP sample scene. In 2021.3 the first build on the same project takes equally long, but consecutive builds will only take a few seconds.

There also seems to be a sharp drop in performance compared to 2021.3. Using a fresh, unmodified HDRP sample scene again as a benchmark, I get between 20 and 30 percent less performance on average in 2022.2. On top of that builds also have an additional performance loss of around 30 to 40 percent compared to just entering play mode, which is very strange to say the least.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  32. aimatme

aimatme

Exactly the same behaviour in xcode 13.4.1 and 14.1
    xcode builds are broken by GameAssembly compilation error

reproducing steps:
    1 Build unity3d 2022.2 project in windows, get xcode project
    2 Move xcode project to macos
    3 Build on macos
    4 GameAssembly compile error (like on the screenshots of post)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    newguy123 likes this.
  33. cchute

cchute

Unity your QA is a disaster. I can't run this editor for more than 5 minutes without it crashing (new mac). With each update I hope it will get better but it only gets worse. I've filed dozens of bug reports. You are making my work day unbearable. We can't make games built on top of a garbage editor.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2022
  34. peq42

peq42

woah thats a lot of big eye catching words for a non-impressive update

35. mirkoni77

mirkoni77

i would like to use replace prefab feature with new tech stream but it seems that is very unstable, is there any other way of doing this currently in previous version?

36. newguy123

newguy123

Try this dude's script:

37. Disastorm

Disastorm

There is a bug with light Culling Masks and Render Layers.
    I posted in this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/cul...orrectly-in-urp-12-0-unity-2021-2-0b.1152764/
    but I'll repost here.

Culling mask and Render Layers not working properly in 2022.2.1 for URP.

I tested it in a new project.
    These are the results.
    Render Layers only works properly in Deferred rendering, it does not work in Forward or Forward+.
    Light Culling Mask only works properly in Forward, it does not work properly in Forward+ or Deferred.

So effectively:
    Forward: selective lighting can only be done with Culling Masks
    Deferred: selective lighting can only be done with Render Layers.
    Forward+: selective lighting can not be done in any way.

Also note that this issue doesn't apply to Directional Light.

38. CallMeHerm

CallMeHerm

I have found some bugs with the physics system in this update.
    rigidbody.MovePosition does not work on kinematic rigidbodies but if I turn kinematic on and interpolation is off it does not work either.
    When interpolation is on it does work but the movement is stuttery and buggy.
    The same script used in the same project on 2021.3.5f1 worked without any problems.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  39. MarsCitizen_1

MarsCitizen_1

Ever since upgrading to 2022.2.1, I experience consistent Editor errors.

With an Inspector tab in "Debug" mode, there are frequent errors while navigating between Scene and prefabs in a project.

Also, while in Play mode, if a component throws an Error to the Console Log, attempting to click that row/entry in the log results in the Error shown in this screenshot being thrown, repeating infinitely until I toggle off displaying logs of type "Error" in the Console. This may only be happening if the object that threw the error has been moved in the hierarchy, or disabled/destroyed.

Attached Files:

mahdi_jeddi likes this.
  40. Lahcene

Lahcene

Just updated to 2022.2.1f1, now whenever I create a new project
    the Unity window stays minimized with a white screen for a few minutes before it opens,
    without showing any progress bar. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  41. peq42

peq42

Lets hope next big update will announce massive improvements to internal debugging from unity, since each version has been buggier than the previous

euden_one and ThisIsNotMyName123 like this.
  42. protoCorey

protoCorey

I'm getting this on every open but neither Unity or Hub are set to run as administrator. User account control is turned off.

Bopta168 and Novack like this.
  43. nathanjams

nathanjams

You should really be doing your actual development in LTS versions of unity unless you absolutely need something in the newest version. But if you are needing the newest you have to expect an insane amount of headaches.

44. sachinhello

sachinhello

its regarding 2022.1.20
    input.multitouchenable = false;
    not working on android build
    not test on other device rather than android working or not
    i reply on this thread beacuse the 2022.1 no open for replies may be same issue reside in this 2022.2 also i don't test on this editor
    i revert to 2021.3.14f1 so now its working
    input.multitouchenable = false;

45. gstevenz

gstevenz

Hi, I started using 2019 about a year ago but only looked at the Ruby tutorial. I would like to start learning again so I decided to download the latest version.

1. Is this a good idea or should I use a mre stab version at the moment?
    2. Should I delete 2019 or will 2022.2 just upgrade it?
    3. in 2019 I was doing the ruby tutorial. Does this still work with 2022.2?

Many thanks for any help that you can give me

46. Krillbite-Studio

Krillbite-Studio

After upgrading to from 2021.3.10 to 2022.2.1f1 we are having major issues with scripts not being properly compiled, as if we're having silent compiler errors.

One case is like this:
    1. In the scene, a script on a prefab is reported as missing (with the warning on the component).
    2. Inside the prefab, the script is NOT missing, but the inspector is empty, as if the script has no serialized field.
    3. Re-importing the script fixes the issue.
    4. ...until the issue appears again after compiling changes in some other scripts. (Working on getting a stable reproduction of this)

We have some repeat offending scripts/systems, but have not yet been able to find a pattern explaning what triggers the issue.

Additionally, our TeamCity builds are also breaking due to cs2001 errors ("Source file X could not be found"), even though the files are definitely present. This feels like a very similar issue to the one described above, but we haven't been able to confirm that.

I hope that all of this is due to something wrong with our setup, and not a fundamental issue in 2022.2, but so far it has been very frustrating, and we likely have to take the hit and roll back our source control to before the upgrade.

MadStuntman likes this.
  47. spacefrog

spacefrog

Did you try to delete the whole Library folder before the update ?
    Thats the first thing i would try if i would experience such a problem

48. Krillbite-Studio

Krillbite-Studio

We only deleted Library folder _after_ updating, as part of troubleshooting. It didn't have an effect then, but it may be different if done beforehand?

Either way, we ended up downgrading to 2021 LTS. Will likely try to update again at some point in the future, and make sure to delete Library first!

49. ThisIsNotMyName123

ThisIsNotMyName123

This is a major regression in 2022.2.

Whenever a package is updated most of the time one of these three actions is required:
    1) Delete project's library
    2) Reimport the packages
    3) Delete bee cache

Bee seems to be at fault here due to indications in logs.

There is around a ~50% chance that when packages are updated that either sources or images in the imported packages break. If you use components from affected packages they won't show up in Unity, if you use images from imported packages Unity complains about the images.

I have reported this bug several times, but this is such a severe regression that we may also need to downgrade.

It is easy to reproduce, just keep updating packages and you'll hit it in no time. We run into this several times every single day.

How is your QA?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  50. paskal007r

paskal007r

hi, I'm getting a white screen on 2022. Not even a menu visible, editor completely white.
    Windows 10 computer, no vpns, updated nvidia drivers. I tried installing 2022.2.1f1, 2022.2.0b14 and a couple of other versions.
    I get a white screen on every project, whether sample or my own project.
    I tried also deleting the library on a couple of these.
    I don't know what else to try, please help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.