Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Unity 2022.2 is not compatible with Jobs

Discussion in '2022.2 Beta' started by prg-liulie, Jul 16, 2022.

1. prg-liulie

prg-liulie

Unity 2022.2 will crash when clicking the play button (reload domain) if the package "com.unity.jobs" is installed

Thaina and hippocoder like this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Please clarify with any errors in console, and a bug report if you can make it would be REALLY valuable :)

Even if its a trimmed down empty scene - it will include editor config / extra hardware or driver info Unity can use to help track the problem down.

3. Thaina

Thaina

It just crash and not enough time for us to look at anything in console

4. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Check the log file.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's fine if you could go to the help menu -> report a bug (without going into play mode) it should send the data why it crashes / recent logs to Unity.

edit: or post logs here as SpookyCat has mentioned.

6. Thaina

Thaina

This is my log

Attached Files:

7. aras-p

aras-p

My wild guess from looking at the crash stack trace: it crashes while pressing play because of "something" related to some "search operation" in the package manager window. As in, this has nothing to do with jobs, but rather some issue with the packages window UI.

Is the package manager window open? Does the crash go away if you close it?

In any case, reporting a bug would be best.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  8. Thaina

Thaina

No. Even just clean open the project and press play just like that it crash immediately

I also see that error is actually related to package manager. But there are no problem with any other package except jobs. Which if it's me I would guess that jobs are trying to do something relate with its package dependency chain but it not support in 2022.2

9. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

This was listed as a known issue in the last alpha.

10. Thaina

Thaina

https://unity3d.com/unity/alpha/2022.2.0a18

Seem you are right. But the mention about it was missing from both 0a17 and 0b1 (yes, it crashed on 0a17 too)

I can't even find issue with id UUM-7459 (this is reason why I hate report and issue system of unity)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  11. nishikinohojo

nishikinohojo

Everytime domain was reloaded, this thing has been happening to me with 2022.2 alpha. b1 causing the same problem.
    I thought this was apparent problem and should be fixed anytime soon. Maybe not eh?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  12. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Thaina and nishikinohojo like this.
  13. Thaina

Thaina

14. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yeah, the search is awful. I just construct the URL manually.

joshcamas and Thaina like this.
  15. nishikinohojo

nishikinohojo

Okay b2, like b1, didn't mention this as known issue and did not change anything. Still crashes.
    I want to know what is to be listed as Known Issues and what is not. Why only a18 listed this as Known Issues? It's not consistent I feel like.
    I know we can see Issue Tracker at this point but it's weird.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  16. nishikinohojo

nishikinohojo

It there any way to avoid this issue? This is rather serious for me.

17. kevinmv

kevinmv

Unity Technologies

@nishikinohojo @prg-liulie Can you try updating to com.unity.collections-1.4.0? This package includes all the com.unity.jobs code and should resolve the issue which was due to circular references between com.unity.jobs and com.unity.collections exposed in 2022.

For existing com.unity.jobs users who do not use com.unity.collections, there is a new package com.unity.jobs-0.70.0-preview.7 which will pull in the dependency on collections automatically. Going forward com.unity.jobs has been superseded by com.unity.collections-1.4.0+. Let me know if you run into any issues.

Hope this helps!

Gasimo, nishikinohojo and Thaina like this.
  18. Thaina

Thaina

So no official fixed as of yet?

19. nishikinohojo

nishikinohojo

@kevinmv
    Thank you! It did fix the problem.
    I am slightly surprised that you guys have decided to make them whole. But what must be done must be done I suppose.

Anyway I really am glad to see Unity officials care to answer some questions here.

Thaina likes this.
  20. kevinmv

kevinmv

Unity Technologies

This is our official fix, so if there are any issue found please do let us know and we'll take a look!

Happy to help! I'm glad it worked for you :)

Thaina and nishikinohojo like this.
  21. Thaina

Thaina

I see thank you very much. I just misunderstood that we need to manually update collections package every time we add job package

nishikinohojo likes this.
  22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah it's kind of weird. A typical Unity-weird. Because say you pull in Entities? It'll pull all the correct dependencies in. Kind of not good it's going to continue being one way or the other. Be nice if Unity's a little more controlling in general. It's hardly the engine for source and C++ after all. Never will be, really.

That in mind, I think it would be a good thing for Unity to take charge a little more.

nishikinohojo likes this.
  23. kevinmv

kevinmv

Unity Technologies

Sorry if that wasn't clear, no you do not need to manually update collections.

com.unity.jobs will no longer be released -- 0.70.0-preview.7 is the last version and is an empty package that will auto update collections for you. If you're using com.unity.collections 1.4.0 or higher, you no longer need a reference to com.unity.jobs package or the Unity.Jobs assembly reference and can instead prefer Unity.Collections.

All of the code from com.unity.jobs has been moved into com.unity.collections-1.4.0 and will remain there.

Unfortunately this was necessary to avoid some ugly circular dependencies that can occur that became a breaking issue in 2022.2. But with the new release of collections, the "right thing" should be done if you're on on 2022.2.

If you're using an older version of the jobs package but collections 1.4.0, the jobs package won't be auto-upgraded, but your code should still work. We detect that you're using an older version of jobs and disable new jobs code added to the collections package.

If you run into issues, please let use know and we can take a look.

Hope this helps!

Thaina likes this.
  24. jGate99

jGate99

Hi@kevinmv
    How do i update to new collections version 1.4.0? I dont see any update button. I'm on Unity 2022.2 Beta
    upload_2022-11-7_17-57-7.png

25. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/upm-ui-quick.html
    Use the proper name (
    com.unity.collections
    ), the desired version number and if it exists it will install/update to it.

jGate99 likes this.
  26. jGate99

jGate99