Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2022 .13 runs in slow motion. (don't get me wrong I really want unity to be good but...)

Discussion in '2022.1 Beta' started by zak666, Sep 29, 2021.

1. zak666

zak666

MAKE UNITY FOR REAL USERS. IT HAS BEEN UNUSABLE SINCE 2018... 2018!!!

I GIVE YOU GUYS HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS BUT YOU CANT GIVE ME A STABLE EDITOR. I HAVE TO BE LOUD CAUSE YOU WONT FIX IT IT'S BEEN BROKEN FOR YEARS. (It legit feels like I'm being scammed by this point.)

I HAD TO CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION BECAUSE ITS UNUSABLE BUT WOULD LOVE TO RESUBSCRIBE BUT:

haven't been able to finish any project for years because the Unity Editor is beyond broken and DEV'S DO NOT CARE TO FIX IT CAUSE THEY ARE GETTING MONEY. STOP MAKING NEW FEATURES AND MAKE IT USABLE AND USER FRIENDLY.

WHAT I SEE IN THE EDITOR SHOULD BE WHAT I GET IN THE BUILD BUT YOU DON'T. YOU NEVER DO.

OK So we all want Unity to be good, (I really enjoy using the program but some times Its very frustrating and its like the Dev's are asleep at the wheel and are not Listening sometimes :) )

- It runs in slow motion. you press play and everything moves as slow as a snail :)

- My game looks and runs fine in the Editor, Build to mobile ad nothing works, not even my Tmp-pro text changes with score (but it dose in the editor.) )

- Prefabs and Materials not showing in the Project browser (An issue since the 2019 version.)

-GUI scaler is broken. looks fine and works in the editor, build it out to mobile and everything is all wack.

- The Editor play window is a LIE and is not what you get on your mobile build NEVER. something is always WACK.

(If you want to add new features, add stuff like volumetric lighting, and a sky-box system like unreal has out of the box, unity is decades behind, and make the terrain editor and materials more powerful, Be awesome if unity did materials / terrain editor like how they do materials / atmospheres in VUE (by eon-software), that would be awesome. take a look at that software have some of those features in unity would be Amazing Like Complete with cloud types settings act like Vue has. (Like out of the box, terrain editor and material editor and atmosphere (volumetric or 2D options ) editor that's user friendly.) )

Wish they would stop adding new features and fix the Fundamentals of the software first. It's basically unusable

Yet you have fake people on you-tube raving about how good it is and the features, but can't be good because nothing works.

I make simple games that should only take a week to make, but how unusable and how un-user friendly unity acualy is to REAL USERS you can't build anything.

I SWEAR ACTUAL GAME STUDIOS GET A DIFFERENT SOFTWARE PACKAGE THEN WHAT WE DO.
    PRO'S WOULD NEVER USE A SOFTWARE THAT IS IS THIS BROKEN AND UN-USER FRIENDLY.
    ITS NOT JUST UNITY 2022, BEEN BROKEN AND UNSTABLE SINCE 2018.

I want unity to be good, Cause in 2018, it was good and was really fun to use not now everything is frustrating, you cant do anything in unity anymore cause you know something will be broke and you spend WEEKS if not MONTHS re-building and trying to fix it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  2. TomTheMan59

TomTheMan59

Hi Zak!

I know it can be frustrating. I personally have had a lot of issues with various editions of Unity and want to blame the developers, but they are really trying their hardest. As you know, even in our own products we have bugs. How do you think the players that find bugs feel? If you can, try to think about it that way.

Remember this is an alpha version. Also, if would help the developers a lot if you reported the issues you are having so they can fix them.

https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Unity is a big company with a lot of moving pieces. They have to support different operating systems and specs. It is a very hard task with many issues slipping through the cracks.

Again, reporting your issues is the best way to help fix it.

Maybe formatting your post with a little less caps (less aggression) and giving some solid, reproducible examples would help the developers feel more inclined to look at your problems and want to help.

Have a great day :)

3. Lhawika

Lhawika

Personally, I'm having a hard time taking this post seriously. It really feels like trolling :/
    But in case it is not:
    1) Absolutly never download an alpha build if you want to avoid issues. Stick to the LTS versions.
    2) As with every software developpement, some bugs are introduced every now and then. It is not "normal", but it is expected.
    3) I would suggest many of the issues you are experiencing are actually bugs you created yourself in your own code and not the engine itself (which is fine, btw).
    4) Again, feels like trolling but... => "actual game studios" don't get a different version than you do.

Lastly, I use Unity engine daily for my job AND my hobby. It has a lot of issues (some of them are really frustrating at times), but it gets better and I genuinly enjoy using it.

Claytonious, Baldrekr, rmb303 and 9 others like this.
  4. print_helloworld

print_helloworld

Alphas can get their bugs fixed sooner than Pre historic lts releases (if they are ever supposed to).

Honestly, your complaints sound like you are using a different version of unity, check your antivirus. Perhaps you're using a bootleg version of unity.

Ruchir likes this.
  5. nasos_333

nasos_333

I am sure Unity team is doing their best, but for very sure are doing it towards the extremely wrong direction, editor usability after Unity 2018 has become worse and worse, it is truly a must to stop adding and refine, even remove features that slow down development to crawl speeds.

Having constant popup windows stopping workflow is insane at this point, i can understand if was some pre-pre-Beta version, but this is continuing to get worse and exists even in LTS versions now. Sometimes those popups can stay 10 minutes too for no apparent reason.

I try work in Unity 2020 and above and looks like a practical joke comparing to 2019 and even more 2018 (that has an impressive almost instant get in project time too)

The worst part is that truly all this pipelines thing and new features are barely needed, i could do miracles in 2018 (and still do) with extremely faster speeds both in game and in editor. There is also no progression in things that really do miss like real time GI that might make a difference. Reinventing the wheel and spending forces to add point light shadows in URP for years for example that was already working fine and far faster in Standard Pipeline is not serious development imo.

The ratio of usable new features that truly matter to loss of performance is just horrible, i would rather they just went back to Unity 2018 and Standard Pipeline and started over from there really. The experience is exponentially better in older Unity versions and i feel just so sad when i enter some of my Unity 2018 project and feel the power of the old engine.

I post a photo of waiting 5 minutes to duplicate a material in Unity 2020, the actual wait was 10 minutes. This is in Unity 2020 LTS version. How they proceeded to produce a Unity 2021 and Unity 2022 is beyond me, as 2020 is practically unusable.

We dont need new features and Unity version before the editor performance is fixed, as adding can only lead to worse and worse performance if the core of the issues is not addressed early on.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  6. IOU_RAY

IOU_RAY

They think a survey system will prove that they care but their actions and individual communication have been the same for years.

The OP seems to have gone a bit over the deepend on the rant but the TL;DR summary is identical to my feelings.

I have come to hate developing in Unity and it has made game dev feel like a chore instead of the job I used to love.

Wish I were back in the flash days, and that's saying something because flash was horrible with crashing and lag, but lengths better than what I work with now.

7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Just some advice how you can get more out of Unity staff in terms of seeking help or trying to help to make Unity better.

It's difficult for Unity staff to reply to a heated post and I assume they won't do it in most cases.

Chances for Unity staff to consider what you're saying will skyrocket if you explain the problem in a respectful manner.

After all they're just ordinary people who try to do a good job, just like you and me.

Sometimes it's useful to rant/insult, but it will not help you to get your point across. In fact, I'm pretty sure it will have the opposite effect and staff think twice when they see another post from a "ranter" if they should really participate in the discussion. If you're in ranting-mode, write it all down in notepad for some relief and just delete it afterwards. Keep the respectful parts of it and post them here ;)

This will help you to build a better relationship with Unity staff and will help you in the long run.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  8. dmitro1982

dmitro1982

Bugs even in default HDRP demo scene LTS 2020. Added a new character and all became #000 BLACK.

Why they making 2022 version when 2020LTS is bugged??? Looks like pushing new versions just for investors, not for actual users.

I just posted issue with 2022beta - fonts in shader window are broken (worked ok in prev versions).

Really want to use Unity because it has many great features, but non-stop bugs everywhere just killing any optimism in me.

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I have been doing some tests and got actually better performance results in Unity 2020.3 than Unity 2019 in my Ethereal volume lighting system.

Then tried the same in Unity 2021-22 and got slower results, so i am wondering if LTS versions get some final optimization in 2020 cycle and wonder whether this performance i see in 2020.3 will return in a 2021.3 LTS version.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Er, why complain about bugs on a beta forum? If you were talking about LTS I'd be right there with you high fiving, but if you're talking about bugs being bad on a beta designed to find bugs, then I do not understand the expectation.

Incorrect, 100% - because you're assuming all devices have the same hardware capability and haven't explained what exactly you're doing.

In my case I see exactly what I see in the editor every single time - because I do know what I am doing with shaders and am aware of hardware differences, out of date old Unity workflows micx. If you need help with that, then your posting should be about that. But you are claiming you NEVER see what you see in the editor.

This strongly implies it's your doing, not Unity's.

If it's a case of editor vs mobile differences, then this is actually the developer's responsibility to understand what features completely different hardware can support. This includes using Unity's device simulator and paying attention to shader feature set.

Could you all frame this in the context of LTS and tell me it's true, or is it just a complete misunderstanding of how different hardware works?

I get people are using this topic for their own personal grievances but I'm just focusing on the OP's main problem of not being able to preview builds properly in the editor. This is a situation that is very fixable and shouldn't be happening to begin with.

I get the sense the OP's project is littered with years of cruft, potentially hidden objects in scenes (hidden from hierarchy) and all sorts of leftover settings, mismatched packages and so on. If you are a developer that's been gradually upgrading, then this is generally a really bad idea, no matter what Unity says, due to the overwhelming evidence of leftover objects, bad metadata and regular library folder deletions. With that in mind, people with long term projects that have been going through many non-LTS versions of Unity, really need to pick a version and stay on it - LTS - and properly remake their scenes, or at least debug their entire project to see what is actually being built.

TLDR: long term projects bouncing off multiple versions of unity are likely full of garbage data, some of which could be detrimental to stability. A lot of old packages were really bad actors and spewed a lot of crap, frankly that Unity hasn't any ability to clean up, and people are missing memos like packages for SRP being managed by Unity. There's so many issues that I do recommend people try at least, a brand new LTS project just for testing, for example checking if with brand new approaches and LTS workflows, if the same problem occurs, preferably working from a Unity template scene.

11. IOU_RAY

IOU_RAY

As a retort, it seems to be the developer's responsibility to work around all of Unity's broken services, editor bugs, faulty workflows, etc.

But lets take that random somewhat unrelated argument away for a moment.
    While in the end it is in fact our responsibility for our products....it leaves no excuses in that Unity, as massive of a company as it is, that it cannot provide better indications/tools/warnings either.

Leaving that work to the people using your development solutions is not exactly top notch either.

Trial and error to see what works between platforms is pretty depressing if that's the suggestion.

t-ley and StellarVeil like this.
  12. Wolfos

Wolfos

One actionable point would be to throw warnings if certain functionality is unavailable on the target platform. As good as Unity's cross-platform capabilities are, there are definitely some pitfalls. Some parts of .NET aren't available on IL2CPP, even more when targeting WebGL.
    You won't figure this out until building the player.

That said, really the vast majority of things will work correctly on any platform these days. There will always be hardware differences and as a developer it'll be expected that you account for those.

IOU_RAY likes this.