Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 2022.1 Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Apr 20, 2022.

1. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Download & Release Notes | Docs

Unity 2022.1 is now available as the latest Tech version on the download page and in the Unity Hub.

Check out our blog post and webpage for a high-level overview, or the Unity Documentation for all the details about what’s included in this release. For complex productions with a high number of dependencies, find out how Unity Support and Services can help make the upgrade process easier.

Remember to back up your projects before opening them in a new version of Unity. If you encounter any issues, please let us know by submitting a bug report so it can reach our developers.

If you have any questions related to 2022.1, please feel free to ask them in this thread and we will do our best to follow up on them.

sqallpl, DragonCoder, NotaNaN and 9 others like this.
  2. roka

roka

Hum yeah, do these bug reported 2 months ago will be fixed one day or you will still push new broken stuff out?

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ange-direction-from-where-the-sound-is-played

https://forum.unity.com/threads/crunch-compression-not-working-on-lightmap-file-2020-3-31f1.1255341/
    (fogbugz link removed from an admin, so find the case in the link above .....)

Hard regression for both bug but do not seem to worry more than that the unity staff.

Thank you ....

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  3. Edy

Edy

Just for the newbies, "Tech version" means "Beta" in the Unity jargon.

4. roka

roka

Do you will betting your house that these 2 bug will be fixed before moving to "recommended release" ?
    I'm sure that you will not :)

One of these bug is present since 2020.x.x, so be careful before betting.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I checked out your reports - they're being worked on. I'm not sure how badgering Unity will speed up staff working on it already.

DragonCoder and JoNax97 like this.
  6. roka

roka

I do not doubt that you try to help as much as you can and i really appreciate that.

But come on .... Reported 2 month ago + big regression for the both that affect the player build.

Just for the audio issue :https://forum.unity.com/threads/case-1412752-webgl-spatial-audio-3d-not-working.1266461/
    Right now, 2 months since the report + (if they solve it today which i doubt) 2 months again for the land = 4 months (but it will be more as usual).
    Any new users that download the "recommended release" of unity and build a webgl player do not have the 3d sound working.

Do you think that it's normal to have to wait minimum 6 months to have a regression fixed?
    Trust me that if apple had worked like that on their iphone, you will never had the perfect phone that you have in your pocket now.

I understand that they have to move foward and to open alpha/beta stage but i'm really thinking that they need one or two time per year to focus on fixing the version used by most of people and to stop releasing patch with a list of "known issue" long like my arms.

Thank you.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No problem but really, it can't go faster sometimes because of merging problems. Imagine a packed motorway with a small mini car trying to get in the right lane to ship those bug fixes? :D

8. pKallv

pKallv

Upgraded from 2021.3.f1 to 2022.1.0f1 and got the below problem. Went back to 2021 and problem gone.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Job failed with exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Insecure connection not allowed
    2.   at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Networking.UnityWebRequest.BeginWebRequest(UnityEngine.Networking.UnityWebRequest)
    3.   at UnityEngine.Networking.UnityWebRequest.SendWebRequest () [0x00001] in /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UnityWebRequest/Public/UnityWebRequest.bindings.cs:288
    4.   at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.InternalInvoke(System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo,object,object[],System.Exception&)
    5.   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x0006a] in <546e7b978f5b45b3a201738416e5634a>:0
    6.    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    7.   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00083] in <546e7b978f5b45b3a201738416e5634a>:0
    8.   at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <546e7b978f5b45b3a201738416e5634a>:0
    9.   at Google.PortableWebRequest.StartRequest (Google.PortableWebRequest+HttpMethod method, System.String url, System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary`2[TKey,TValue] headers, UnityEngine.WWWForm form) [0x0019e] in <3d721d59d99942a585ced249e28ec6ca>:0
    10.   at Google.PortableWebRequest+<StartRequestOnMainThread>c__AnonStorey6.<>m__C () [0x00000] in <3d721d59d99942a585ced249e28ec6ca>:0
    11.   at Google.RunOnMainThread.ExecuteNext () [0x0003d] in <3d721d59d99942a585ced249e28ec6ca>:0
    12. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
    13. Google.RunOnMainThread:ExecuteNext ()
    14. Google.RunOnMainThread:<ExecuteAllUnnested>m__12 ()
    15. Google.RunOnMainThread:RunAction (System.Action)
    16. Google.RunOnMainThread:ExecuteAllUnnested (bool)
    17. Google.RunOnMainThread:ExecuteAll ()
    18. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:359)

9. felipemullen

felipemullen

I can confirm the Array element overdraw bug is no longer there:

upload_2022-5-10_14-4-11.png

You have one happy customer so far!

kindred008, Skflowne and newguy123 like this.
  10. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I think what you are seeing is a result of this change, from the release notes:
    It's possible that upgrading the Google package you're using will solve the problem, but otherwise, you should be able to work around it by enabling insecure HTTP in your player settings.

kindred008, tonialatalo and pKallv like this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

When will Visual Studio 2022 be the default installation in Unity Hub? Is there any plan for it?

12. runner78

runner78

I think that should be in the 2022.2 alpha.

13. newguy123

newguy123

Yes its in the alpha.
    HOWEVER, this, and also when VS 2019 appeared 1st time, FAILS for me when installing via HUB/ Editor install. I have to manually download it from MS site and install it that way, otherwise it just doesnt work for me, no matter my user privelages.

14. runner78

runner78

I also use Visual Studio outside of Unity and have therefore never needed to install it via the hub.
    And once the VS installer is installed, you can use it to install multiple versions and update the installation, you don't have to download and install it every time.

newguy123 likes this.
  15. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

And Beta in Unity jargon means a slightly better alpha based on my experience. So be careful with it. :)

Edy likes this.
  16. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

Is there a bug with the bug reporter? I submitted a few bugs but when I check on them online the descriptions are blank. I can't submit a bug with the bug reporter that the bug reporter wont submit bugs properly so I'm just checking in here to see if anyone from unity can check on this ( e.g. bug report #1427401 )

17. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Don't worry, it looks like everything you entered is present on our side. Once QA process the bug, I think they'll fill out the description.

SevenPointRed likes this.
  18. pKallv

pKallv

tx that (enabling insecure HTTP) solved the problem but not the updated Google package. Will look for an update.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  19. pKallv

pKallv

Now I get:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. Unity.Services.Core.Editor.EditorGameServiceRegistry.UpdateServiceActivation (Unity.Services.Core.Internal.IAsyncOperation`1[T] flagsAsyncOperation) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.services.core@1.3.1/Editor/Core/EditorGameService/EditorGameServiceRegistry.cs:137)
    3. Unity.Services.Core.Internal.AsyncOperation`1[T].Fail (System.Exception reason) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.services.core@1.3.1/Runtime/Core.Internal/AsyncOperation/AsyncOperation.cs:190)
    4. Unity.Services.Core.Editor.ServiceFlagRequest.OnFetchServiceFlagsCompleted (UnityEngine.Networking.UnityWebRequest getServiceFlagsRequest, Unity.Services.Core.Internal.AsyncOperation`1[T] resultAsyncOp) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.services.core@1.3.1/Editor/Core/ProjectStateManagement/ServiceFlagRequest.cs:66)
    5. Unity.Services.Core.Editor.ServiceFlagRequest+<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<QueryProjectFlags>b__0 (UnityEngine.AsyncOperation op) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.services.core@1.3.1/Editor/Core/ProjectStateManagement/ServiceFlagRequest.cs:50)
    6. UnityEngine.AsyncOperation.InvokeCompletionEvent () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/AsyncOperation.cs:21)

20. VentaGames

VentaGames

I converted my project to 2022.1 and have had no issues since the release. Thanks.

21. tkslan

tkslan

Hi, there is a massive impact on scene loading times in editor for us. Big, heavy scenes (80k of transforms) (50mb scene file). Last working flawlessly version was beta 8, on beta 9 something when wrong, and it's still there in release.

22. keni4

keni4

Hi, Unity Team! I upgraded project from 2021.3.2f to 2022.1.0f then to 2022.1.1f
    In 2022.1.0f I recieve error in console abound 30 times, every time enter and exit Play mode
    In 2022.1.1f things go worst. Here is console after updating Unity version
    upload_2022-5-19_15-34-24.png

This project usin HDRP latest release version 13.1.8

Update: Looks like these errors popping up when Game object with any UI.Graphic is showing in inspector

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  23. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Hey do u get the following errors in HDRP when going of out game mode?

Code (CSharp):
    1. MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'HDAdditionalCameraData' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    2. Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    3. UnityEngine.Component.GetComponent[T] () (at <d8d38b92d94a4ff8a91e61d39c6d19cd>:0)
    4. UnityEngine.Rendering.VolumeDebugSettings`1+<get_cameras>d__11[T].MoveNext () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@13.1.8/Runtime/Debugging/VolumeDebugSettings.cs:64)
    5. UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugDisplaySettingsVolume+WidgetFactory.CreateCameraSelector (UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugDisplaySettingsVolume data, System.Action`2[T1,T2] refresh) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@13.1.8/Runtime/Debugging/DebugDisplaySettingsVolumes.cs:87)
    6. UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugDisplaySettingsVolume+SettingsPanel..ctor (UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugDisplaySettingsVolume data) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@13.1.8/Runtime/Debugging/DebugDisplaySettingsVolumes.cs:358)
    7. UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugDisplaySettingsVolume.CreatePanel () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@13.1.8/Runtime/Debugging/DebugDisplaySettingsVolumes.cs:394)
    8. UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugDisplaySettingsUI+<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<RegisterDebug>b__0 (UnityEngine.Rendering.IDebugDisplaySettingsData data) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@13.1.8/Runtime/Debugging/DebugDisplaySettingsUI.cs:36)
    9. UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugDisplaySettings`1[T].ForEach (System.Action`1[T] onExecute) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@13.1.8/Runtime/Debugging/DebugDisplaySettings.cs:90)
    10. UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugDisplaySettingsUI.RegisterDebug (UnityEngine.Rendering.IDebugDisplaySettings settings) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@13.1.8/Runtime/Debugging/DebugDisplaySettingsUI.cs:47)
    11. UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipeline..ctor (UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipelineAsset asset) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@13.1.8/Runtime/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipeline.cs:432)
    12. UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipelineAsset.CreatePipeline () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@13.1.8/Runtime/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipelineAsset.cs:37)
    13. UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset.InternalCreatePipeline () (at <d8d38b92d94a4ff8a91e61d39c6d19cd>:0)
    14. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)
    Code (CSharp):
    2. A Native Collection has not been disposed, resulting in a memory leak. Enable Full StackTraces to get more details.
    Is it a known issue?

EDIT:

NVM I found out that KWS causes this error.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    vertexx likes this.
  24. VentaGames

VentaGames

Should we expect weekly releases?

Thanks in advance.

25. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Yes, weekly releases until 2022.2 is being released.

26. zedz

zedz

Upgraded from 2021.2.3 -> 2022.1.3 Must say I'm very impressed, not many changes AFAIKS
    but its super stable It hasnt crashed even once, normally I get 10-30 crashes a day.

EDIT: OK now I had 2 crashes, but first time in like over a week now. Super stable, when I wrote 10-30 crashes a day typically, I was downplaying it. 30 would be minimum in a typical 10 hour day. I guess unity would crash 30 - 200 times a typical day. So going from that to only 2 crashes in more than a week is a massive massive improvement.
    Note my project is large > 100k LOC

Big ups to the Unity developers. Most important get whats working, working correctly before adding more stuff

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  27. wedgiebee

wedgiebee

Just upgraded from 2021.3 to to 2022.1.3 (Mac Silicon). I used to be able to set the game view to be "Maximized" in the dropdown, hit Play, then pause, change it to be "Focused" in the dropdown, then resume the game and it'll be Focused instead of Maximized.

Now, when I try to do to this, the dropdown is greyed out when the game is paused and I can't change to Focused without completely stopping the game. Is this functionality gone or is it accessed differently now? It was a very core part of my workflow :(

28. jam54

jam54

Hi!

Just recently I encountered a problem after upgrading a 2D URP project to Unity 2022.1.3f1, from Unity 2021.2.2f1. See the attached image for the error messages.

However, after upgrading the same project from 2021.2.2f1 to 2021.3.4f1 LTS everything still worked as expected.

I was able to narrow the issue down to my sprite atlases. When on the import settings of a texture, crunch compression was enabled. And that texture was added to a sprite atlas. In that case the sprite wouldn't be visible on the sprite atlas, and upon hitting play it would also be invisible in the game view. (In the scene view, these textures looked slightly white). If I then unticked crunch compression from all of the individual textures that were on a sprite atlas. Everything worked fine i.e. no errors & everything rendered correctly.

Enabling crunch compression on the sprite atlas itself, doesn't cause any errors/unexpected behaviour though. And since asside from the resolution, the import setting on the individual textures gets overruled by the import settings of the sprite atlas anyways (by which I mean the compression method). It doesn't really matter what the import settings of the individual textures are. But yet enabling crunch compression on the individual textures causes unexpected behaviour.

Is this a known issue, or should I submit a bug report somewhere?

ErrorMessages.png

29. Saturn1004

Saturn1004

I get these same "Failed getting crunch texture info." and "Decrunching failed." errors spammed to the console extremely fast in 2022.1.4f1 when I bake lighting using both Enlighten and Progressive modes.
    I don't even have any sprite atlases like the above post.
    I'm going to see if I leave it alone long enough if it can still finish baking lighting, but I think baking lighting is completely busted because of it.

I tried clearing all the baked lighting data and clearing the GI cache too in case it was an issue with that, and it still does it with a clean slate.

Enlighten also throws this error in addition to the other 2:
    'Export Bake Texture' job failed with error code: 3 ('Unknown error.').

Edit: It seems to do it when baking lighting with an object that has alpha clipping enabled.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  30. Ryiah

Ryiah

31. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

Change script: compilation, assembly reload. Hit play: assembly reload, other stuff (scene repaint): 17-30s waiting before play begins.
    Move object in scene, hit play: assembly reload, other stuff: 17-30s waiting before play begins.
    Exit play, enter play: assembly reload, other stuff: 17-30s waiting before play begins.

Rapid iterations you say...

32. felipemullen

felipemullen

@sergiusz308 I was annoyed by the assembly reloading as well. Turns out there is a setting for this under Edit > Project Settings:

upload_2022-6-18_8-28-13.png

You can untick `Reload Domain` and it won't be so bad to stop/change values/play

33. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

Thanks for the hint, but it does not work - this setting is ignored and Unity reloads domain anyway, each time I hit Play.

34. manurocker95

manurocker95

2022.1.6f1 is giving me tons of errors in URP, any idea?

upload_2022-6-27_18-8-0.png

35. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

upload_2022-6-30_11-18-3.png
    than which version?

WolveX likes this.
  36. VentaGames

VentaGames

Hi.
    As i see Unity 2022.1.8fi is out (https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/2022.1.8) however, there is no way to download it from Unity Hub. Yes, I can click on "Install this version with Unity Hub" but it only gives me the Intel version, but I need a silicon one.

Thanks.