Search Unity

Feedback Unity 2021

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by berukulama, May 27, 2023.

1. berukulama

berukulama

Hello, I decided to upgrade my 2020 version unity to 2021 E, but there are so many crashes that I went back to the 2020 version. When I don't save the scene when the number of objects in the scene increases, Unity usually crashes and my actions disappear. Run the project without adding too many props to the scene and saving it (it can be a character and car controller) please test it. Take this as a suggestion from me. If this problem is fixed, I plan to upgrade. Kind regards.

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Did you use the latest 2021.3 version?
    If it's reproducable, make a bug report. The forums won't guarantee it's seem

berukulama likes this.
  3. adamgolden

adamgolden

Also, if you're planning to upgrade anyway, 2022 LTS comes out next month. It's possible you're hitting bugs in 2021 that don't exist in 2022 - and aside from that, 2022 will be getting more attention from Unity than 2021, and often there are fixes to issues that won't be backported so will only be getting solved for 2022. There won't be much difference between 2022.2.21f1 (the latest right now) vs. LTS, so you could try that and see how it goes.

berukulama and DevDunk like this.
  4. berukulama

berukulama

Are you using the 2022 version, what is your impression?

5. adamgolden

adamgolden

I've been using 2022 since early alpha - and actually my impression is great at the moment. Pretty much everything serious that I was affected by has been fixed, aside from one minor thing that is listed as in review for the next release. Until version 2022, I was sticking to the latest editors, but of course that means with large projects you're getting hit with lots of issues, so I decided this will be the one I'd stick with (especially as I'm now shifting from learning new things and creating hobbyist games into a focus on commercial ones). Very excited for LTS stability.

For Windows builds, I'm particularly happy with URP Forward+ with DX12 performance (there's no per-object light limits using Forward+). I can't speak on HDRP as I haven't played much with it [yet]. For mobile with 2022, have found Built-in render pipeline the only choice, as URP doesn't currently work properly with some older devices I've tested with like the S5 (an Android 6), which did work with older versions of URP - I can't recall specific version when it no longer did. For WebGL (desktop browsers, not mobile) I found URP with Forward works well. I honestly would not recommend Unity right now for mobile browser WebGL.

berukulama likes this.
  6. berukulama

berukulama

Thank you for your detailed help and information. For Android projects, I guess I'll have to wait a little longer. Especially after adding props to the scene the sudden crash of the Unity editor is really lagging me. I guess I will continue to use Unity version 2020.3.34f1. I've never had a problem with this version so far in my mobile projects.

adamgolden likes this.