Search Unity

Resolved Unity 2021 - Shader Graph not working

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by rtilton1, Jul 12, 2021.

1. rtilton1

rtilton1

I'm in a brand spankin new project in Unity 2021.1.14f1 using 3D Sample Scene URP. I create a new shader graph > blank shader graph -- and the material is magenta/pink showing it's not compiling. Did no one test this in 2021 or am I doing something wrong?

I also notice whenever I add any node into the scene it shows me this error too... It says "Node is not allowed by any active targets, and will not be used in generation".

2. rtilton1

rtilton1

Just figured out I need to go into Graph Settings and click add target and set it to Universal. Then it compiles.

Very unintuitive design here.... Please just auto-assign a target unity. 99% of users will only have 1 render target anyways.

3. Qriva

Qriva

Actually I don't think this is big problem, as I remember there are multiple presets like VFX, empty Lit, Unlit with default targets, plus your graph displayed information about the problem.

Kmankman and FredMoreau like this.
  4. Wasp3r

Wasp3r

Thank you! I totally agree. I've spent half of an hour on this until I found your post...

Kmankman likes this.
  5. shavais

shavais

Dang, I can't imagine how long it would have taken me to find that. Thanks for the post!

Kmankman likes this.
  6. eecoo

eecoo

My target list appears empty and i cant add anything, so i cant choose universal, can someone help me?

7. AaronDeBelder

AaronDeBelder

You need to install the Universal RP package from the package manager

8. JackISO_

JackISO_

Thank you so much!

Kmankman likes this.
  9. mkfaizurrahman381389

mkfaizurrahman381389

But where are the graph settings ????

Kmankman likes this.
  10. superscruf

superscruf

When you click on your texture asset, it defaults to "Node Settings" in the Graph Inspector. On the top bar of the Graph Inspector, just under the words "Graph Inspector", there are two clickable options; "Node Settings" and "Graph Settings." When you click on "Graph Settings, then the bottom of the window will allow you to select a target. If you click on the "Add Target" button and it just stares back at you, then install the Universal RP package from the Package Manager.

Kmankman likes this.
  11. VirtualBoyBri

VirtualBoyBri

Thanks for this! Saved me a few hairs on my head. Was having the same issue as I'm learning to use Shader Graph.

Kmankman likes this.
  12. mdh560354

mdh560354

Thank youuuuuu kissssss

Kmankman likes this.