Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 2021 LTS Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Apr 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmgannon

gmgannon

It appears that 2021.3 is not available as an option in Cloud Build. Is this going to be updated soon? Thanks. upload_2022-4-18_13-44-40.png

2. YUTA-LEQUIOS

YUTA-LEQUIOS

> It appears that 2021.3 is not available as an option in Cloud Build. Is this going to be updated soon? Thanks.

I have the same problem.
    It has been a week since the release of 2021.3.0f1.
    I am using it for work and I hope it will be added soon.
    I would like to know quickly if the build errors that are occurring in 2021.2.18f1 will also occur in 2021.3.0f1.

Thank you.

gmgannon likes this.
  3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

There's an issue preventing it from being added right away that needs to be resolved first. The team is working on it. I can't share a specific ETA at the moment.

YUTA-LEQUIOS likes this.
  4. gmgannon

gmgannon

Thanks for the response. Will stick with 2021.2.18f1 for now and keep an eye out for the update when it's ready.

YUTA-LEQUIOS likes this.
  5. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

Having installed Unity 2021.03.0f1 LTS and tested it with a copy of an existing 2D 2020.3.33f1 project, I found that the project's sprite animations are not displayed and the relative custom inspector settings have been reset to zero.

Whilst I appreciate the fact that I can manually reset the many animations, I'd like to know what has caused this issue.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  6. Andreas36

Andreas36

theres a known issue list of the LTS 2021 ?

7. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Yes:
    - constantly crashing editor without any cause. (regression)

That's it. But it's plenty enough.

8. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Manually downgrading my project to Unity 2020 LTS fixed any issue though.

9. payukki

payukki

Anyone noticed that initial project size in Unity 2021 is too large (1GB compared to 200 MB in older version)?

10. NeonTheCoder

NeonTheCoder

I'm updating from a previous version, and now it appears that Newtonsoft.Json which has been moved to Unity.Plastic.Newtonsoft.Json which according to visual studio is not available in the player, and only in editor. I tried to import JsonDotNet from the package manager/unity store instead as I did before but that still leaves errors with visual studio, but not unity.

Edit: My bad, apparently there is a dedicated package for it now instead of 3rd party. Had no idea, should probably advertise it better. If anyone else is having issues you have to add it in package manager via git com.unity.nuget.newtonsoft-json and it has to be manually installed as its hidden.

11. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Have you tried to regenerate your Visual Studio project files?
    In UNITY:
    Edit -> Preferences -> External Tools -> Regenerate Project Files button

12. Darkgaze

Darkgaze

A little problem that still happens:

Changing to a custom tool in the new toolbar doesn't set the icon of the tool instead of the default custom tool icon.
    Only when you click out of it, it is changed.

It does work correctly in 2022 beta.

13. IOU_RAY

IOU_RAY

Sigh.....This has been why I have no patience at all with Unity's incompetence.

I used to LOVE game development, even dealing with so much server-side infrastructure and the hell that comes with, updates running into issues and being stuck in primetime for 36+ hours, it was still enjoyable to develop updates and working with users and feedback while doing so.

Coming from Flash years ago, since starting with Unity in 2018, we have spent a strong majority of our time dealing with editor issues, service issues, version control issues and building workarounds/tools to alleviate these problems.

I didn't jump over to Unity for that. If I could go back in time I would have avoided Unity like the plague and sanitized my eyes from even seeing the name itself. Now I'm stuck and absolutely dreading most days.

I actually (not joking) have fantasies about working with other engines/frameworks but I'm trapped with my projects having been migrated & built on Unity.

I was interested in the new LTS but I feel zero shock value at the state of this. Par for the crap-course.

14. digitalbreed

digitalbreed

I have installed 2021.3.0f1 Personal and get these errors after importing a project, any pointers? I am on macOS 11.6.5. Tried to reinstall Unity one more time, but without any success.

Edit: I also noticed I've got two Unity binaries in the installation folder: https://ibb.co/LPzWL1B

Edit2: After replacing /2021.3.0f1/Unity.app with the slightly larger /2021.03.0f1/Unity/Unity.app it works now.

Code (csharp):
    1. DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.3.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/UnityReferenceAssemblies/unity-4.8-api/Facades'.
    2. System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1[TResult].CreateDirectoryHandle (System.String path, System.Boolean ignoreNotFound) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    3. System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1[TResult]..ctor (System.String directory, System.IO.EnumerationOptions options) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    4. System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1+DelegateEnumerator[TResult]..ctor (System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1[TResult] enumerable) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    5. System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1[TResult]..ctor (System.String directory, System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1+FindTransform[TResult] transform, System.IO.EnumerationOptions options) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    6. System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerableFactory.UserFiles (System.String directory, System.String expression, System.IO.EnumerationOptions options) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    7. System.IO.Directory.InternalEnumeratePaths (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, System.IO.SearchTarget searchTarget, System.IO.EnumerationOptions options) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    8. System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, System.IO.EnumerationOptions enumerationOptions) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    9. System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    10. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.MonoLibraryHelpers.GetCachedSystemLibraryReferences (UnityEditor.ApiCompatibilityLevel apiCompatibilityLevel) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/MonoLibraryHelpers.cs:71)
    11. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.MonoLibraryHelpers.GetSystemLibraryReferences (UnityEditor.ApiCompatibilityLevel apiCompatibilityLevel) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/MonoLibraryHelpers.cs:23)
    12. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.LoadingAssemblyDefinition.SetAllCustomScriptAssemblyJsonContents (System.String[] paths, System.String[] contents, System.String[] guids) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/LoadingAssemblyDefinition.cs:90)
    13. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface:SetAllCustomScriptAssemblyJsonContents(String[], String[], String[]) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilationInterface.cs:140)
    14. DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.3.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/UnityReferenceAssemblies/unity-4.8-api/Facades'.
    15. System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1[TResult].CreateDirectoryHandle (System.String path, System.Boolean ignoreNotFound) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    16. System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1[TResult]..ctor (System.String directory, System.IO.EnumerationOptions options) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    17. System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1+DelegateEnumerator[TResult]..ctor (System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1[TResult] enumerable) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    18. System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1[TResult]..ctor (System.String directory, System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1+FindTransform[TResult] transform, System.IO.EnumerationOptions options) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    19. System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerableFactory.UserFiles (System.String directory, System.String expression, System.IO.EnumerationOptions options) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    20. System.IO.Directory.InternalEnumeratePaths (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, System.IO.SearchTarget searchTarget, System.IO.EnumerationOptions options) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    21. System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, System.IO.EnumerationOptions enumerationOptions) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    22. System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern) (at <e38a6d3ee47c43eb9b2e49c63fc0aa48>:0)
    23. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.MonoLibraryHelpers.GetCachedSystemLibraryReferences (UnityEditor.ApiCompatibilityLevel apiCompatibilityLevel) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/MonoLibraryHelpers.cs:71)
    24. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.MonoLibraryHelpers.GetSystemLibraryReferences (UnityEditor.ApiCompatibilityLevel apiCompatibilityLevel) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/MonoLibraryHelpers.cs:23)
    25. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorBuildRules.AddScriptAssemblyReferences (UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ScriptAssembly& scriptAssembly, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.TargetAssembly targetAssembly, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ScriptAssemblySettings settings, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorBuildRules+CompilationAssemblies assemblies, System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary`2[TKey,TValue] targetToScriptAssembly, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ICompilationSetupWarningTracker warningSink) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorBuildRules.cs:457)
    26. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorBuildRules.ToScriptAssemblies (System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary`2[TKey,TValue] targetAssemblies, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ScriptAssemblySettings settings, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorBuildRules+CompilationAssemblies assemblies, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ICompilationSetupWarningTracker warningSink, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ISafeModeInfo safeModeInfo) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorBuildRules.cs:298)
    27. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorBuildRules.GetAllScriptAssemblies (System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] allSourceFiles, System.String projectDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ScriptAssemblySettings settings, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorBuildRules+CompilationAssemblies assemblies, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ISafeModeInfo safeModeInfo, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.TargetAssemblyType onlyIncludeType, System.Func`2[T,TResult] targetAssemblyCondition, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ICompilationSetupWarningTracker warningSink) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorBuildRules.cs:191)
    28. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilation.GetAllScriptAssembliesOfType (UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ScriptAssemblySettings settings, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.TargetAssemblyType type, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ICompilationSetupWarningTracker warningSink) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilation.cs:1470)
    29. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilation.CompileScriptsWithSettings (UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ScriptAssemblySettings scriptAssemblySettings) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilation.cs:811)
    30. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilation.CompileScripts (UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorScriptCompilationOptions editorScriptCompilationOptions, UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup platformGroup, UnityEditor.BuildTarget platform, System.Int32 subtarget, System.String[] extraScriptingDefines) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilation.cs:690)
    31. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface+<>c__DisplayClass21_0.<CompileScripts>b__0 () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilationInterface.cs:184)
    32. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface.EmitExceptionAsError[T] (System.Func`1[TResult] func, T returnValue) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilationInterface.cs:49)
    33. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface:CompileScripts(EditorScriptCompilationOptions, BuildTargetGroup, BuildTarget, Int32, String[]) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilationInterface.cs:184)

15. Recon03

Recon03

I would agree, which is why vets like myself, refuse to use these so called LTS versions, we use older LTS versions like 2019 or 2020..3.31, Unity has proven in a production world compared to Unreal, and other engines, that you can't depend on them, they seem to want to spit them out. . Unity does not use the engine them selves in production as some of us do....So this is number 1, main issue, number 2, they ignore alot of the things you named here.. Number 3, you have vets, explaining in a real production, that a number of these issues, and we tend to be ignored.. Asset developers as well, well known ones, reach out, and we all feel ignored. So, this has been a trend from Unity as long as I been here and got worse after Unity 5.

LTS was suppose to be a production ready versions, well I can tell you for a fact, that its not... LTS is no longer that, at all.... I have for years stayed back atleast 3 versions back, waiting for fixes and to have a reliable version... Unity would learn, if they made games as we do.... What is funny they spit out a so called Sample game, I guess that was them finally kinda listening to us..... asking for them to make games as we do, to understand, that you can't just spit on versions, just to do it with these production breaking bugs.. I shake my head every time I see these so called LTS releases...

2020, was one of the worst releases I seen come out of Unity by the way, thankfully they did get better with later versions, other wise alot of us, would of been stuck on 2018, or 2019 for ever....

IOU_RAY, newlife and keeponshading like this.
  16. Recon03

Recon03

HAHA, so true....

atomicjoe likes this.
  17. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

The grass is always greener over there, but my experience in general is that there is always some level of bullshit to deal with in any ecosystem. I'm pretty sure there will be things that I'll miss from Unity on other engines, things that you get for granted until you don't have them anymore.
    I'm not defending Unity 2021 LTS by any means though: it's clearly an alpha version NOT ready for release.
    How this can be released in this state is something that baffles me. Seriously.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  18. keeponshading

keeponshading

Shader Compiler is still broken in 2021.3.0 and 2021.3.1 LTS

This crash happens on all my DXR projects.

(Filename: Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@12.1.6/Editor/BuildProcessors/HDRPPreprocessShaders.cs Line: 775)

d3d12: upload buffer was full! Waited for COPY queue for 0.001 ms.
    Crash!!!

leavittx likes this.
  19. TropicalVoxel

TropicalVoxel

Hey, I have a question. Hopefully it's not offtopic, but does anyone know what happened to the forward renderer? I was following a tutorial before realizing I couldn't find it. I tried googling it, too, but couldn't find an answer as to why it was missing. Was it removed in 2021?? What's the new equivalent to it? The screenshot below is where it would be- and the one below it is what I see.

---

20. sdb7

sdb7

or just release fix that not require to update the whole installation, like that good old day of patch file..

Vincent454 likes this.
  21. YUTA-LEQUIOS

YUTA-LEQUIOS

2021.3.0f1 is now available for selection in Cloud Build.

Attached Files:

gmgannon and LeonhardP like this.
  22. PutridEx

PutridEx

You can switch between deferred and forward through your URP asset file, go to project settings > Quality > and look at what URP asset you're currently using, click on it and it'll select it for you in the content browser. There you can use the inspector to switch between renderers.

23. DetroitBrian

DetroitBrian

Can't spell "Community" without "Unity"!

Hi everyone, thanks for flagging the Hub issues with the LTS release.

We just released a patch for Unity Hub. With Hub v3.1.2, the LTS tag is now applied to the 2021.3 LTS and the Editor version will now show up in the LTS category of the install flow. Get the new version here.

gmgannon and Recon03 like this.
  24. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

That's great. What about my bug report about the editor constantly crashing and forgetting variables on Unity 2021 LTS though?
    https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1420506

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2022
  25. Recon03

Recon03

Thanks for the heads up

26. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

It's with QA and being processed. They will reach out to you via email if they have updates to share or follow-up questions.

Have you submitted a bug report for this already? If not, could you please do that?

27. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please submit a bug report with a reproduction project so we can have a look?

28. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

Thank you for replying. I'll submit a bug report and example project asap.

LeonhardP likes this.
  29. keeponshading

keeponshading

Sorry. In this case i cannot support this behaviour.
    Investing more private and buisness time it s simply not possible.
    Releasing an untested LTS version where you cannot build and operate the common Unity Github examples. SpaceshipDemo, Raytracing Examples... all of them.

The Shader Compiler issues are clearly visible in every of these projects.

The QA for the LTS is not done. Don t upload it to your users.

30. keeponshading

keeponshading

I strongly recommend to build an mid size real world project with mostly needed packages like Addressables before releasing an LTS.

Have a look in your auto bug report statistics since LTS release. This will give you an detailed report.

Alone from my side (different users) you should have received around 70 the last week since LTS release.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  31. iMer

iMer

(coming from 2020 LTS)
    The increased shader build times are extremely painful for testing.. especially since it doesnt seem to cache any shader results when a build fails which is very easy due to URP using too many samplers in some configurations
    Not quite sure how this passed QA or if QA doesn't have enough say in this to block releases until its fixed.. spending ~10 minutes on a Ryzen 3600/3900/4800 to figure out which URP/Lit variants to strip (not even building shaders! just filtering which ones to build! it seems to do this for every build!) just seems insane to me, it gets even worse since most project will be using more shaders. Its also single threaded btw, cause of course it is :)
    "Forking" URP and other asset store shaders and editing shaders to remove variants you won't use (have fun searching yourself which keywords do what for the more obscure ones) just doesnt seem like a good solution when everyone is expected to do this themselves

32. kogi_rc

kogi_rc

I see the same thing, build times jumped from 4 minutes to 20-30 minutes with progress bar being stuck at 99% for most of the time. Also tried 2021.3.1, same thing.

I don't know how shader cache works because it registers cache hits:

Compiling shader "Universal Render Pipeline/Simple Lit" pass "ForwardLit" (vp)
    120 / 13824 variants left after stripping, processed in 1.11 seconds
    starting compilation...
    finished in 0.00 seconds. Local cache hits 120 (0.07s CPU time), remote cache hits 0 (0.00s CPU time), compiled 0 variants (0.00s CPU time), skipped 0 variants​

Warm cache is 25 minutes build and cold cache (deleted Library folder) takes 35+ minutes. It used to be 4 minutes in 2021.1. Something has changed for the worse and no amount of "you're using too many shader variables and quality settings, causing too many variants" responses explains this behavior to me. It used to work fine in previous version, it is nearly unusable now.

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  33. altepTest

altepTest

They forgot to add some flags inside the editor. It did this long process just one time. then was faster. if now it does this every time is just some option that was not properly set when building the editor

34. YegorStepanov

YegorStepanov

Small URP 2D-project with no custom shaders:

2020 LTS: 10-15 seconds
    2021 LTS: 60-90 seconds

IOU_RAY and kogi_rc like this.
  35. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

The incredible shader processing times are the exact and only reason why I am stuck with 2021.1.28 :-( 2022.1.b16 is still the same and even slightly worse. I really hope that topic is worked on at Unity with very high priority.

kogi_rc likes this.
  36. keeponshading

keeponshading

enabling debug mode in buid player setting double or tripples the compile times even further.
    so average experience:
    10 to 20 min before 2021.2.15
    2h to 3h after
    6h to 8h when debug enabled

37. Damien-Mayance

Damien-Mayance

38. keeponshading

keeponshading

This Memory Leak is also common in all mx DX12 projects...
    Editor crash after 5 to 10min working depending on project.

d3d12: releasing a resource which is still being referenced. It will be leaked.

d3d12: swapchain present failed (887a0005).
    d3d12: swapchain present failed (887a0005).
    Device removed reason (887a0006).
    GfxDevice was not out of Local memory
    Local memory usage:
    Budget: 24725422080
    CurrentUsage: 19692695552
    AvailableForReservation: 67108864
    CurrentReservation: 12496928768
    GfxDevice was not out of Non-Local memory
    Non-Local memory usage:
    Budget: 67739316224
    CurrentUsage: 762687488
    AvailableForReservation: 0
    CurrentReservation: 34003875840
    Set -force-d3d12-debug for more information on device removal
    d3d12 : CreateCommittedResource 'BufferD3D12::CreateBufferResource() Buffer' (384 x 1) format 0 failed (887a0005).
    Device Remove Reason (HRESULT): 0x887a0006
    Device Memory Stats:
    Local AvailableForReservation: 11918 MB, Budget: 23580 MB, CurrentUsage: 18780 MB, CurrentReservation: 64 MB
    Non-local AvailableForReservation: 32428 MB, Budget: 64601 MB, CurrentUsage: 727 MB, CurrentReservation: 0 MB
    d3d12: CreateResource for buffer failed.
    d3d12: failed to create a buffer of size 384
    d3d12 : CreateCommittedResource 'BufferD3D12::CreateBufferResource() Buffer' (48 x 1) format 0 failed (887a0005).
    Device Remove Reason (HRESULT): 0x887a0006
    Device Memory Stats:
    Local AvailableForReservation: 11918 MB, Budget: 23580 MB, CurrentUsage: 18780 MB, CurrentReservation: 64 MB
    Non-local AvailableForReservation: 32428 MB, Budget: 64601 MB, CurrentUsage: 727 MB, CurrentReservation: 0 MB
    d3d12: CreateResource for buffer failed.
    d3d12: failed to create a buffer of size 48
    BufferD3D12 : Unexpected null accessor on Buffer
    Crash!!!

39. keeponshading

keeponshading

When i build my scene with Unity 2021.3.x LTS and start them
    i get in DX11 Mode ~43fps

Code (CSharp):
    1. start /D .\HDPhotostudio_Bakery_2021_DX12 UI.exe -screen-fullscreen 0 -popupwindow -screen-width 2880 -screen-height 900 -monitor 1 -screen-quality High -window-mode exclusive -single-instance -force-d3d11
    i get in DX12 Mode ~9fps

Code (CSharp):
    1. start /D .\HDPhotostudio_Bakery_2021_DX12 UI.exe -screen-fullscreen 0 -popupwindow -screen-width 2880 -screen-height 900 -monitor 1 -screen-quality High -window-mode exclusive -single-instance -force-d3d12
    When could we finally use DX12 without loosing up to 75% of the framerate?

This behaviour is known since more than 2 years...
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/why-is-dx12-so-much-slower-than-dx11.841903/

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  40. altepTest

altepTest

can you try verifying if your windows version have all the updates, and you have all the GPUs drivers (both intel and nvidia/amd) up to date? Also the chipsets and motherboards and all.

there is quite a chance that if you don't have them up to date some functionality may not work correctly.

for example the unreal nanite will not work on windows versions that are not up to date if you use directx. it works if one use vulkan.

so the same system can use the GPU power just fine if you use vulkan but will fail on directx if the windows version is not up to date.

I suspect this may be the case at least in part, with unity struggling with directx12.

by uptodate I mean having windows 11

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  41. Stephen1701

Stephen1701

I did delete everything first, then I ran into this problem.

42. Stephen1701

Stephen1701

Hello, it is happening again.
    I have the zipped up dump file, how do I send it to you?

43. Stephen1701

Stephen1701

I'm getting some editor errors now. Does anybody have any idea what this means? After closing the profiler the error went away, so does the profiler have a bug?
    upload_2022-5-2_10-4-29.png

44. LucasForcinaSD

LucasForcinaSD

We've upgraded to Unity 2021.3 LTS from 2021.2.10 and building shaders takes so much time. I made build last week and it took 4h+ for a clean build, now I'm doing another one and i'm 1h+ in, still compiling shader variants, pretty sure I had cache.
    Will you fix this or should we go back to 2021.2.10 ?

45. keeponshading

keeponshading

For all my HDRP DX11/DX12 projects this Shader Compiler issues with build and build addressables started with 2021.2.15 and got absolut worse in 2021.3.0 and 2021.3.1.
    3h to 10h for average to big projects.
    Meantime i upgraded around 10 projects on different PCS´s. Same behaviour in all.

Further 4 DX12 DXR projects i have are not buildable at all.
    Also Shadercompiler and memory leak problems.

There are several Threads like this one
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/build-time-taking-almost-a-day-urp.1133605/
    or
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/compiling-shader-variants-taking-ages.527724/page-6

You can get from 10h to 5h when you disable Development Build in Build Settings.

also ShaderCache Folder gets around 5.5GB in 2021.3.0. 8h this one to build

Unbenannt.JPG

Same project in 2021.2.13. Takes 20 min to build and build adressables after reimport.

Unbenannt.JPG

I don´t now why thera are 2767 Folders in Shader Cache now instead of 16before but this could probably a hint what´s going on.

First i thought that probably an virus scanner slows down because of folder generation.
    But i also tested on an PC with deactivate virus scanner. Same same.

Here the ShaderCacheFolder from
    2021.3.1 (same project as above)

Unbenannt1.JPG

The issues also become clearly visible by building
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/HDRPRayTracingScenes
    or
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SpaceshipDemo

But this has not be done for 2021.3.x LTS.
    There is a general denial that a problem exists in the forums.
    Why Builds and Cloud builds (who can not work at all due to this performance) from mini unity github projects are not done for an LTS release. I really can t get this. They are all still in 2021.2.

Unity 2021.3.x LTS is far from usable for bigger projects and a QA seems to be not existend for these releases.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  46. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

URP Unity versions LTS 2021.3.0 and 2021.3.1 have leaks when preview uses _continuousPreviewRefresh
    this is most noticeable when any time function is used within a preview refresh step

47. altepTest

altepTest

if unity creates a lot of files on disk when building shaders it will slow down the disk due to fragmentation of those files. It may help to have a system that have good fragmentation status but that may not be enough, because the files are small, they will always find some small free space to fit small parts it. You may have ten of thousands of small files that are split in several even smaller fragments which will get distributed all over the disk. Like grain of sands.

This is something that I've noticed as one of the issues of the editor being slow. i was ignored

Who have this issues I suggest finding a software that graphically shows the file fragmentation and physical location on the disk. You can try defraggler but others that show the file map may also work.

On normal HDD, those with metal plates that spins, this is an absolute kill of performance. The SSD may work better if they are made to have same performance with small files access which appears to be a feature not all SSD have.

I know why unity ignores this issue because this means changing the editor on the fundamentals. which cost money time and practically very difficult to implement. So, ignore it is as a solution.

48. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Put it on google drive/onedrive/dropbox and send me a link via PM/"conversation" on the forum.

Stephen1701 likes this.
  49. iMer

iMer

With all the bad thats been said, I'd also like to leave some praise, we are seeing up to 50% more fps in some cases and player performance is up across the board - so well done there! :)

50. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

The support team is ghosting me, ignoring my emails.
    Where is the PRO tier support?
    What's a PRO license worth?

IgorBoyko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.