Search Unity

Bug Unity 2021.3.x - 2022.2.17 XR Plugin Management & OpenXR Plugin bug & Solution

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by jimmyd14, May 2, 2023.

1. jimmyd14

jimmyd14

For those who encountered issues such as: can't use hand/ can't use the controller/ can't use android OpenXR in project settings. Here I am for a solution that I didn't find on any forum...

I will break down the entire storyline for you in 1) Bug encounters and my initial setup, 2) The environment setup, 3) Potential reasons for the bug, and 4) TLDR & solution for those who just want a solution.

1) The one I encountered was not able to use my hands after following videos such as Valem Tutorial:
    or Dilmer Valecillos:
    And not able to use controllers after disabling OpenXR in XR Plug-in Management (but activating Oculus). Or Infinite reload screen on OpenXR in Project Settings. This happened to Unity Editor versions 2021.3.23f1, 2021.3.23f1, and 2022.2.17f1 (tested and made them all reflect the exact bug so I am confident with these three). I would assume that every single version in between could be encountering similar issues as well...

2) There is currently a bug between the XR plugins and OpenXR plugins on Windows and Android (which have not been tested on Mac or Linux). For some reason, 2021.3.24f1 (and 23f1) couldn't register OpenXR plugins AFTER you installed XR plugins Management. Despite it being installed for you when you clicked XR Plugin Management. You absolutely need to install OpenXR first in order to make XR Plugin Management recognize OpenXR. Unity will then recognize the plugins, and also the XR rigs in the scene, making the hand controllers & hands responsive as well.

3) The potential bug they introduced: By automatically installing the OpenXR while installing the XR management, it created a folder that it couldn't trace, causing the project itself unable to respond with XR rigs properly. Even after removing the files, you won't be able to fix it because the files were set to default by now and won't be able to change unless you go straight into the source code (I tried to remove OpenXR and reinstall it, but it didn't work). My solution kinda fixed it because it will no longer relocate the files because it's already installed. Hopefully, in future versions, they will update the XR plugin management so the bug won't conflict with each other.
    PS. Installing Oculus Integration will also make the controllers not work (if you clicked yes on the update, don't update it).

4) TLDR; Solution - download OpenXR first after opening a new project, then install the XR Plugin Management. And don't agree to upgrade your Oculus Rig when it detected a new input feature. It messes with your old ones.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
  2. Harry_J_Unity

Harry_J_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey!

Could you submit a bug report through the Editor via "Help -> Submit a bug report" so that we can investigate it further? Also, could you paste the ticket ID once you submit it?

Provide as much detail as you can as well as the projects you used to reproduce it :)

Thanks!

3. JackAlta

JackAlta

Hi Harry,

I have submitted a support ticket, 1559429 there is also a bug report code IN-40808

Cheers,

Harry_J_Unity likes this.